33.33% and 23rd in the league.

rjdriver

Reaction score
That is what the Detroit Lions were ranked on third down conversions coming in to todays game. The best team in the league is PIT at 53%.

Today the lions were at 75%.

We have one of the most talented secondaries in the league. The most dangerous WR (arguably) in the league was nullified or at least severely limited today. We have at least an average LB core with Wagner growing weekly. We are NOT "under talented"

This is a scheme problem. Something is very wrong here. We have too much talent to have these statistical anomalies seem to happen to us with such frequency. Pete is a defensive coach and he needs to figure this crap out yesterday.

Shark mentions this in the Trufant is Awful thread. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55287

Unacceptable. We are too damn good of a defense on 1 and 2 to falter this much on 3. It's more than a few bad plays or missed tackles, we need to find and fix the root of this problem

OP
OP
rjdriver

rjdriver

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2ezn764q said:
It's an easy answer - our pass rush on the road is ass.

Speaking of which....where has Irvin been the last 3 weeks?

He's fast as hell, just goes to the outside while the QB steps up in the pocket. Needs more versatility and moves. But, yes...has been non existent lately

morgulon1

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1gdp3w69 said:

Beat me to it. Smelly ass.

We dont have ANY type of pressure on the qb. Period. There is your answer.

OP
OP
rjdriver

rjdriver

Reaction score
I suppose. It just seems that we do quite well on 1 and 2. I know those are more traditionally running downs, but NFL teams throw a lot on 1 and 2 as well. I recall a lot of third and long opportunity for our D which indicates great success on first and second. Then we fall apart on third. Do we have better pass rushing on first and second?

Honest question.

Average teams are way too good on third and long against us compared to their average

kearly

Reaction score
Irvin has played well, actually. He's getting pressure very consistently. Stafford and Brady displayed outstanding pocket presence, and while Alex Smith wasn't great, he did a good job avoiding sacks.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
kearly":khbsy2c0 said:
Irvin has played well, actually. He's getting pressure very consistently. Stafford and Brady displayed outstanding pocket presence, and while Alex Smith wasn't great, he did a good job avoiding sacks.

Fair.

morgulon1

Reaction score
rjdriver":321j0ry9 said:
FlyingGreg":321j0ry9 said:

He's fast as hell, just goes to the outside while the QB steps up in the pocket. Needs more versatility and moves. But, yes...has been non existent lately

I look at 3rd down when we know Stafford HAS to pass. Second half I think Clemmons touched Stafford once. I believe Carroll expects more from Clemmons than that.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Could it be we are too predictable in our drops? Seems like opposing OC's have scouted our drops, and are having their Wr's break their route off 2 to 3 yards before the first down line. Gives them a better chance to catch the ball and also to make a little move and gain that extra 2 or 3 so they get the first.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Bradley loves playing zone on 3rd downs where he rushes 4 and has the linebackers drop back all the way past the 1st down line. Receivers have all sorts of room to catch the ball and make a move.

BillHawks

Reaction score
Bruce and Clem forced Stafford to step up in the pocket a lot. The difference today was that without Jones, there was rarely someone there to nail him.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Our defense is rated highly by us here on the board but that is about it. We just aren't as good as we hoped. Another same old seahawks year.

If we were a good team then we win this game. We are mediocre and it sucks.

hoxrox

Reaction score
This is definitely a scheme issue. PC and Bradley said it themselves - they focus on limiting what they call "explosive plays" meanwhile giving up everything underneath. Stop the run, and stop the explosive plays is their philosophy.

We can't defend a screen or shallow cross and teams starting with NE figured this out - there's a blueprint now on how to beat this defense. This is not on the players. The coaches need to adjust or we'll get beat by this dink and dunk all season.

Also not having Jones in there today really hurt.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Um, it's not just us here on the board. Thanks to Sherm's vocal prowess, especially, national writers and commentators have been mentioning the Seahawks D as a very tough matchup.

I have not analyzed every snap from this game, but my initial reaction is that yeah, something schematically weird is happening on 3rd downs because when those come up, and the pass goes out, and I jump up expecting a slobber-knocking hit, the opposing receiver tends to catch the ball, turn, lunge a few yards and get a 1st down. Wha happen?

kmedic

Reaction score
You always hear about great defenses being able to create pressure with JUST their front 4. Obviously this enables the 7 others defenders to play blanket coverage, whatever scheme that may be. I believe that the coaching staff truly believes that they can create pressure on third and long with just their front 4, ie Irvin, Jones, Branch, and Clemons. They aren't willing to take a gamble and bring an extra blitzing defender, particularly against good QB's.

It isn't working, however, on the road. The coaching staff needs to wake up and start getting more creative and taking more risks with blitzes and pressures, and not just in the second half. Let's face it, Irvin is good at home, but he's a complete non factor on the road. The coaching staff should have adjusted their calls after they knew Jones was out.

endzorn

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":c321t0of said:
Our defense is rated highly by us here on the board but that is about it. We just aren't as good as we hoped. Another same old seahawks year.

If we were a good team then we win this game. We are mediocre and it sucks.
I don't know how anyone can look at it differently. We have people talking about this being the most talented team since 2005 and in the next breath saying, "At least we made it a good game." We just aren't as good as people think.

I want to believe we're close, but I'm not seeing the evidence.

hoxrox

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3cz2kjnw said:
Have we tried a safety blitz at all this year?

Think I saw ET blitz today but then we got killed by the screen.

largenutz

Reaction score
It might have just been in my head, but today on one of detroits 3rd downs the commentators called the play, coverage before the ball was snapped.something like " There gonna rush 3, drop the others in soft zone" , and that's exactly what happened! If the commentators know what the defense is gonna do. . . DAMN. . .