Why our 3rd and long defense is about to get a lot better

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Ponder
    Sanchez/Tebow
    Tannehill
    Cutler
    Skelton/Kolb
    Fitzpatrick
    Smith
    Bradford.

Not exactly a murderer's row of QB's that we have left to play. I expect our 3rd down Defense to improve drastically and our interception totals to rise signifigantly.

And, I still expect playoffs. (but wont be shocked, or really bummed out, if we dont make it)
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Think getting WT3 back and Jasone Jones will also help too. We need to dial up some different schemes though. Always seems to me to be drop off and let them throw and catch and try and stop them before the line...it aint working whatever it is
    glasgow seahawks
    NET Starter

• I wouldn't be surprised if those QBs has a good 3rd down conversion day. Our D sucks horribly at 3rd down conversions.
    strohmin
    NET Starter

• Hey, we made the Pillsbury Doughboy look like Brett Favre today. There's no telling how many of the rest of them look like Young, Montana, Marino, Unitas, Manning, Elway, and Moon in the coming weeks.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• We have a habit of making less than stellar players look great.

I wouldn't count on that as evidence of victory.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• SharkHawk wrote:Hey, we made the Pillsbury Doughboy look like Brett Favre today. There's no telling how many of the rest of them look like Young, Montana, Marino, Unitas, Manning, Elway, and Moon in the coming weeks.

The Pillsbury doughboy is a pretty damn good QB. Even though he doesnt look the part.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• SharkHawk wrote:Hey, we made the Pillsbury Doughboy look like Brett Favre today. There's no telling how many of the rest of them look like Young, Montana, Marino, Unitas, Manning, Elway, and Moon in the coming weeks.

Doughboy happens to genuinely be a great QB. If we'd pulled it out, we'd be adding him to the list of elite QBs Wilson toppled.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• My only expectation is that we will be drafting half way through every round of this next draft. Same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

The good news is this is the most promising .500 team we've had in ages. Our glass is as half full as it is half-empty so......well, that.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• jkitsune wrote:
    SharkHawk wrote:Hey, we made the Pillsbury Doughboy look like Brett Favre today. There's no telling how many of the rest of them look like Young, Montana, Marino, Unitas, Manning, Elway, and Moon in the coming weeks.

Doughboy happens to genuinely be a great QB. If we'd pulled it out, we'd be adding him to the list of elite QBs Wilson toppled.

Agreed. Stafford threw for 5000 yards and 41 TDs last year. He's no Caleb Hanie.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• It has much more to do with our defensive scheming than who is throwing it. Any NFL QB can make the throws that our defense has been leaving open over the middle. On first and second down we smash them in the mouth which is why we always have long third downs, but then drop everyone back into soft zones that coaches are learning how to beat.

Alex Smith isn't a good QB and when he wasn't taking what we gave him, looked like a bad QB. When they adjusted at halftime, every pass was short over the middle and they moved the ball easily in the second half. Stafford loves the deep ball and very rarely took chances today because our D is good in that area. Expect to see a whole lot of short passing from Ponder next week. Like usual, none of their WR on the outside should scare us, it is everything in front.

I don't know what it is that we are calling on these long third downs, but people are ALWAYS open. Maybe Wagner is dropping too deep into his zone? I notice Earl and Kam are always very deep on those downs.
    Last edited by mistaowen on Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Doughboy had a good season last year. Lots of guys have a good season. He hasn't been consistently great. Lots of players put up that "one year" and then do jack squat. What has he done before today this season? We're at the halfway point and he has what? 6 TD's or something coming into today? He was awful awful awful all year. Now he's good again so he's last year doughboy again? That's not really comparable. He has sucked this year and just chewed up our D and spit it out. Why couldn't the Hawks do what everybody else did to him this year? Why did the Hawks get outcoached by Linehan? That guy can't coach himself out of anything but jobs.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• Megatron was singled out by the defense as shut down, Young is a very good receiver quick and smaller in stature, the kind that will prove more difficult to gaurd against since he has real good quickness, he also played with a chip on his shoulder. Stafford has been a very good QB that has needed a running game to protect him. They are a top offense. They have the players on defense that if they had a secondary would be top ten I would think. Don't discredit the Lions based on history, they are a decent team and were picked as a playoff team this year.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Meh. They still had only 2 wins coming in. To me, that's a team that sucks and should be a victory for a team with a "great defense". We got outcoached by Freddie Mercury. That's awful. The guy is one of the worst coaches I've ever seen. His team DOES have talent, but he always finds a way to blow it. He's that kind of coach. Sort of like Jerry Glanville. Always have great tools, but are an extremely poor craftsman.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Sadly, I agree with this. 9-7 or 8-8 or 7-9 and another year of watching the playoffs from home.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• SharkHawk wrote:Doughboy had a good season last year. Lots of guys have a good season. He hasn't been consistently great. Lots of players put up that "one year" and then do jack squat. What has he done before today this season? We're at the halfway point and he has what? 6 TD's or something coming into today? He was awful awful awful all year. Now he's good again so he's last year doughboy again? That's not really comparable. He has sucked this year and just chewed up our D and spit it out. Why couldn't the Hawks do what everybody else did to him this year? Why did the Hawks get outcoached by Linehan? That guy can't coach himself out of anything but jobs.

Sorry, gotta disagree with you here. Stafford is a great QB, if not elite. He is young, and I guess in some ways unproven, but last year he put together the fifth most passing yards ALL-TIME, behind only Brees (twice), Brady, and Marino. And right now he is on pace for about 4800, which would be the 10th best season total for passing yards ever. That's impressive, no matter what. That's not even mentioning his 7th best all-time single season passing touchdowns from last year either. I know this is all "last year's" statistics, but still, you don't put up those numbers without being a great QB. He's just had a slow start. He just happened to break out in the wrong game.

I'm disappointed in the defense as well today, but this is a good offensive team we played in the Lions. In fact, I don't think anyone else on the remainder of the schedule has the offensive capabilities of the Lions. Chicago and Minnesota would be the closest, but I don't think they surpass Detroit.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

• Cutler has historically tore us up. One of the recent wins against CHI was against Caleb Hanie (wasn't FOrte out for that game too?)

Tannehill has been playing well although he's injured.

Ponder was actually pretty decent in 3rd downs this year before the Tampa game.

None of this is any indication of success. It's all about individual matchups and how our coaches scheme. Our scheme this week on defense sucked.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• Our defense is massively overrated around here.

Nothing is a given. I expect 8 and 8 this season. We have been mediocre and until proven otherwise we will remain so.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• So we can't expect our defense to make a couple third down stops against good QBs? I sure hope this super-awesome defense doesn't have to play a good QB if we ever make the playoffs.
    endzorn
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• my fat ass can sit back and pick a part a defense if i have all the time in the world to do it, and the defense i'm facing doesn't have a scheme in place to stop it... i heard on one of the shows friday that the reason seattle doesn't stop these short passes is, because of the scheme they play, this is the part of the field they're willing to give up... they'll sacrifice the short stuff, and take away the down field stuff. well, news flash carrol, not working, not only are you getting beat deep, you're getting dinked and dunked right out of contention....nice work.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:Megatron was singled out by the defense as shut down, Young is a very good receiver quick and smaller in stature, the kind that will prove more difficult to gaurd against since he has real good quickness, he also played with a chip on his shoulder. Stafford has been a very good QB that has needed a running game to protect him. They are a top offense. They have the players on defense that if they had a secondary would be top ten I would think. Don't discredit the Lions based on history, they are a decent team and were picked as a playoff team this year.

That's not what I saw. I saw Megatron have plenty of room to make catches including the game-winning TD if he doesn't drop more than the catches.

The piss-poor 2-4 Lions just got healthy against what was supposedly a number one or two defense. By definition the defense is overrated.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• JSeahawks wrote:Ponder
    Sanchez/Tebow
    Tannehill
    Cutler
    Skelton/Kolb
    Fitzpatrick
    Smith
    Bradford.

Not exactly a murderer's row of QB's that we have left to play. I expect our 3rd down Defense to improve drastically and our interception totals to rise signifigantly.

And, I still expect playoffs. (but wont be shocked, or really bummed out, if we dont make it)

Three of those QBs listed already killed us on 3rd down and have a blueprint on how to get it done. This won't get better until coaches make fundamental adjustments to their schemes.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:Ponder
    Sanchez/Tebow
    Tannehill
    Cutler
    Skelton/Kolb
    Fitzpatrick
    Smith
    Bradford.

What? Three of these guys have ALREADY beaten us, Ponder and Tannehill are better than people want to acknowledge, and Cutler is a Probowler.

I sure hope the team doesn't think like this. When they go up against names like Brady, Rodgers and Newton, they actually bring their A game and we win.
    "I'm gonna call him--what do you call the guy on the trampoline?--Harry Houdini or something like that." -Warren Moon on Golden Tate
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran

• SharkHawk wrote:Doughboy had a good season last year. Lots of guys have a good season. He hasn't been consistently great. Lots of players put up that "one year" and then do jack squat. What has he done before today this season? We're at the halfway point and he has what? 6 TD's or something coming into today? He was awful awful awful all year. Now he's good again so he's last year doughboy again? That's not really comparable. He has sucked this year and just chewed up our D and spit it out. Why couldn't the Hawks do what everybody else did to him this year? Why did the Hawks get outcoached by Linehan? That guy can't coach himself out of anything but jobs.

He was on pace for about 4700 yards coming into today. I agree that he's probably overrated, but the man has weapons and can get hot in a hurry.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• glasgow seahawks wrote:Think getting WT3 back and Jasone Jones will also help too. We need to dial up some different schemes though. Always seems to me to be drop off and let them throw and catch and try and stop them before the line...it aint working whatever it is

A-freakin-men. I'm gonna throw a damn brick through my TV if I have to see our LB's drop back into zone coverage and allow check downs or shallow crosses that turn into 10 yard plays and first downs.

It's not all their fault, our front four got ZERO penetration, which is why we kept having to blitz Thomas off the corner.....which exposed the hot routs for first downs all freakin' day.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• I didn't expect much this season with a Rook. Sure he has made us all googly eyed at times. We have been so close in all these loses. That hurts most. Sometimes I just wish we would get blown out instead. But losing these close ones is what makes the team grow and that is what I expected this season. I think we need to fill a couple holes. I like this team. They seem to like each other and feed off each other.

I do not look at easy opponents or crap QBs to make us better. I like the team to feel threatened! I like them to feel like they have something to prove and I want them to learn to lose to learn to win. Okay, I had enough of losing! Lets go win!

They are playing hard and trying. Watch their body language. See their reactions when they get burned or when the team is pounding it up their gut. They dont like it! And it wasn''t long ago this happened and guys on this team smiled and joked with the opposing team. This team is NOTHING LIKE THAT! We will get better. The problems we have are the same problems each week. It can be fixed. Either by more experience or someone losing their job.
    djb28
    NET Veteran

• This has been a consistent problem ever since Carroll has taken the helm........something needs to change on these 3rd and medium-long downs.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• SharkHawk wrote:Meh. They still had only 2 wins coming in. To me, that's a team that sucks and should be a victory for a team with a "great defense". We got outcoached by Freddie Mercury. That's awful. The guy is one of the worst coaches I've ever seen. His team DOES have talent, but he always finds a way to blow it. He's that kind of coach. Sort of like Jerry Glanville. Always have great tools, but are an extremely poor craftsman.

The Lions also had 4 of their first 6 games on the road, and against some tough defenses. Remember, this was a playoff team last year and was one of the top offenses in the league. They'd been struggling this year due in part to a tough early schedule. They'd still been getting lots of yards, but were having issues putting up points. They aren't a scrub team by any stretch, and categorizing them as one is a mistake.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Stafford is a very good quarterback. The tape showed it yesterday. He was fitting the ball into a LOT of tight windows yesterday. His game-winner was just a quick boom-boom play on good coverage by Browner.

It's easy to want someone to blame for this loss, and easier still to choose the Seahawks since we feel we have more control over that (ha), but the truth is Seattle had a mildly tough (and injury-induced) day against a very good QB and still forced it down to the final drive.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• 5 home games, a fairly decent chance to win here, atleast one won on the road hopefully, then a wild card spot .

Though , it'll be a road game .

Staffords good but didn't Skelton come off the bench cold and run down the field on us in the 4th quarter for 7 also ? didn't the rams do that too in the 4th ?
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

• I think we have a damn fine defense. One achilles heel we do have is the soft middle on passing downs. Every team now knows it is there and we have not adjusted to take it away so expect to see QB's getting the ball out fast until we fix it.

On that long pass for a td, Sherman was actually retreating and Young STILL ran past him easily, I couldn't believe that.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:Stafford is a very good quarterback. The tape showed it yesterday. He was fitting the ball into a LOT of tight windows yesterday. His game-winner was just a quick boom-boom play on good coverage by Browner.

It's easy to want someone to blame for this loss, and easier still to choose the Seahawks since we feel we have more control over that (ha), but the truth is Seattle had a mildly tough (and injury-induced) day against a very good QB and still forced it down to the final drive.

And we should have been in man on that play...no idea why we would be in a zone when the offense is on the 1-yard line, but what the hell do I know - I'm not an NFL defensive coordinator lol.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• FlyingGreg wrote:
    And we should have been in man on that play...no idea why we would be in a zone when the offense is on the 1-yard line, but what the hell do I know - I'm not an NFL defensive coordinator lol.

The Hawks were in the same base defense on the goal line as they were pretty much the entire game. Man on man on the outside, and zone in the middle. Stafford recognized it, and threw to a great spot. Game over.

The question to ask is why doesn't Bradley mix it up and disguise his defenses more. Is he so cocky that our D can stop anybody, that he thinks he doesn't have to try and confuse and shift on one of the better QB's in the league? Nope, we're just gonna keep playing soft underneath zone and allow 11 of 16 3rd down conversions.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• What the hell is your avatar, Sgt. Largent?
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

• Lions 12 of 16 converting first downs on 3rd down. Ain't gonna win many games with that stat against you.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Hawk Strap wrote:What the hell is your avatar, Sgt. Largent?

It's the greatest Halloween costume of all time. The Press giving Tim Tebow a BJ.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk Strap wrote:What the hell is your avatar, Sgt. Largent?

It's the greatest Halloween costume of all time. The Press giving Tim Tebow a BJ.

Yes, but judging by the height, that appears to be an actual child or Pehawk with their face buried in your crotch. Not cool.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• peachesenregalia wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hawk Strap wrote:What the hell is your avatar, Sgt. Largent?

Yes, but that appears to be an actual child with it's face buried in your crotch. Not cool.

1. It's not me.
    2. The dummy is wearing a fedora and it says "Press" on his back, not exactly a boy scouts uniform. So pump the brakes on the outrage-mobile.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• 1. It is you, otherwise what's the point?

2. The 'dummy' looks very real to these eyes. It's maybe a smidge too tall to be pehawk, but that makes it all the more outrageous, since it appears to be a child. even if it IS a dummy, it still looks like a child. Still not cool.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• peachesenregalia wrote:1. It is you, otherwise what's the point?

2. The 'dummy' looks very real to these eyes. It's maybe a smidge too tall to be pehawk, but that makes it all the more outrageous, since it appears to be a child. even if it IS a dummy, it still looks like a child. Still not cool.

Are you this anal retentive in real life?

I hate Tim Tebow, so I find the costume hilarious. Whether it appeals to you is of no concern to me. Now this is where we move on with our lives.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:1. It is you, otherwise what's the point?

I hate Tim Tebow, so I find the costume hilarious. Whether it appeals to you is of no concern to me. Now this is where we move on with our lives.

It's got nothing to do with appeal, and more about my concerns regarding child abuse/pehawk.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• peachesenregalia wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:1. It is you, otherwise what's the point?

It's got nothing to do with appeal, and more about my concerns regarding child abuse/pehawk.

I bet you're one of those parents that makes the entire school cancel Halloween or Christmas because your kid has a peanut allergy or protested no religion in schools.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• I'll bet you're a Glasgow Celtic FC fan. Big Jock Knew.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• Our D disappointed me yesterday. However, I am enjoying this season so much. It's a great group of talented guys who are just going to get better.
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:07 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information