Gotta put Pete in the cross hairs

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Gotta put Pete in the cross hairs
Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:14 pm
  • 7-9...7-9...

What this season? At best probably 9-7 and that's if we get some breaks.

We have two more trips to the East Coast (Toronto vs Buffalo and Miami) looming...so that's not good. The other road game is in Chicago, which will be tough as well.

We still have to play the NFC West teams that all beat us the first time. Yes it's at C Link, but the Cards and 49ers for sure have us in their pocket right now.

We just can't seem to get over the hump. I know we have some good players...I can't figure it out.

I don't think Pete is on the hot seat (yet), but I'm not seeing the kind of progression I expected. We should have won today's game and we should have won in St. Louis. We can't rely on the crutch of winning at home.

I give Pete and John credit for making us competitive and completely rebuilding the roster. But maybe we are still a year away?
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Re: Gotta put Pete in the cross hairs
Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:24 pm
  • Can we just wait till the season over to be calling for someone's head??

Jeez now if they don't fix it and we DO end up 7-9 then we talk.. Right now the season is just half over. Do you give up at half time??

come on man..
    redeye81
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:37 pm
  • Team has been competitive every game, and when we first saw the schedule, a lot of people thought 4-4 would be a godsend. This team will develop the killer instinct, but as a group, they're incredibly young. This is a team about to enter its prime, not a team already in it.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:38 pm
  • I am not ready to start over.. Ride the ups and downs.. A lot of season left still..
    redeye81
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:39 pm
  • This Hawks team is only a few key players away from being elite on both sides of the ball. Would be extremely knee-jerk and unwise to jump off the Pete train just before it reaches clobberin speed.
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:40 pm
  • redeye81 wrote:Can we just wait till the season over to be calling for someone's head??

Jeez now if they don't fix it and we DO end up 7-9 then we talk.. Right now the season is just half over. Do you give up at half time??

come on man..

I didn't "call for his head". I brought up the opinion that he needs to be open to assessment.

I guess he is exempt from discussion? I missed that memo.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:44 pm
  • FlyingGreg wrote:7-9...7-9...

We have two more trips to the East Coast (Toronto vs Buffalo and Miami) looming...so that's not good. The other road game is in Chicago, which will be tough as well.

We still have to play the NFC West teams that all beat us the first time. Yes it's at C Link, but the Cards and 49ers for sure have us in their pocket right now.

We just can't seem to get over the hump. I know we have some good players...I can't figure it out.

I don't think Pete is on the hot seat (yet), but I'm not seeing the kind of progression I expected. We should have won today's game and we should have won in St. Louis. We can't rely on the crutch of winning at home.

I give Pete and John credit for making us competitive and completely rebuilding the roster. But maybe we are still a year away?

I knew this was coming
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:45 pm
  • Um 4-4 vs. 2-6 is a progression from where I'm standing. Furthermore EVERY game we've lost has been a 1 score affair. Wheras last year we got beatdown by the Steelers. Got embarrased by Cleveland and Cincy at home. IMo there is no comparison between this year and last. There is evident improvement IMO.

Now the team just needs to learn how to finish on the road. I like our chances these last 8 games. I still see 9-10 wins as a possibility. I expect at least a 9-7 record. If we end up 7-9 I'd be extremely disappointed.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:46 pm
  • rainger wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:7-9...7-9...

I knew this was coming

Everyone should be thinking about it. It's a completely fair assessment.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:46 pm
  • I haven't questioned one thing Pete has done prior to today. After today's game that all changes. I like him. I hope he does well. I think he's a terrific guy. But I think he blew it as a coach in this game, 100% he blew it. If he didn't blow it then Gus Bradley did and Pete needs to take over the defense if he let Bradley blow it. It's on one of their heads, but it all boils down to the head guy. This is looking a lot like Holmgren the majority of the time. Just not quite good enough. Getting outcoached by coaches that have no business outcoaching you. It's pretty sad. Pete's book led me to believe that he was above this type of lack of growth and consistent mistake making. I was really basing a lot of what I do on what I read in that book as I try to change careers and resume teaching and such. Now I'm wondering if Pete is just a windbag for the first time in 3 years. It worries me.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:47 pm
  • I dont think the possibility of replacing Pete has even entered Paul Allen's mind yet. I think we could lose every game remaining and his job woudl be safe. If we do end up crash and burning this season though I wouldnt be surprised if Pete is asked to shake up one or both of the coordinator positions.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:48 pm
  • SharkHawk wrote:I haven't questioned one thing Pete has done prior to today. After today's game that all changes. I like him. I hope he does well. I think he's a terrific guy. But I think he blew it as a coach in this game, 100% he blew it. If he didn't blow it then Gus Bradley did and Pete needs to take over the defense if he let Bradley blow it. It's on one of their heads, but it all boils down to the head guy. This is looking a lot like Holmgren the majority of the time. Just not quite good enough. Getting outcoached by coaches that have no business outcoaching you. It's pretty sad. Pete's book led me to believe that he was above this type of lack of growth and consistent mistake making. I was really basing a lot of what I do on what I read in that book as I try to change careers and resume teaching and such. Now I'm wondering if Pete is just a windbag for the first time in 3 years. It worries me.

Perfect response. I also love Pete.

But 2.5 years into his regime,why can't we be critical? It's amazing to me that when people bring up things like this on the board everyone turns into a fussy homer.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:49 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:I dont think the possibility of replacing Pete has even entered Paul Allen's mind yet. I think we could lose every game remaining and his job woudl be safe. If we do end up crash and burning this season though I wouldnt be surprised if Pete is asked to shake up one or both of the coordinator positions.

Agreed - I mentioned nothing about replacing Pete.

I just think it's time to assess his job to date.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:54 pm
  • He needs to make some modifications. Remember when the Hawks had no running game as Ruskell had destroyed the offensive line and Shaun had broken his foot and the offense just sucked? What did Holmgren do? He adjusted for ONCE and just started running the hurry up. Matt put up numbers like crazy, the receivers looked good, and it was a really solid and necessary adjustment. He hated doing it, as he LOVED his "balance method" of the WCO, which worked great when he had talent. But he realized he needed to change. Hopefully on this dreadfully long flight home Pete has the same kind of epiphany and follows what he says in his GD book. Do things better than they've ever been done before Pete. That's what you said. Step up. Do them differently, because now you're just doing the definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Sorry, but your defense sucks right now, and that's on you sir. Re-evaluate and do things better than ever. That's your mantra. That's what I've been trying to do as I try to heal and resume my life. Don't let me down you magnificent son of a bitch. ;)
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:56 pm
  • SharkHawk wrote:He needs to make some modifications. Remember when the Hawks had no running game as Ruskell had destroyed the offensive line and Shaun had broken his foot and the offense just sucked? What did Holmgren do? He adjusted for ONCE and just started running the hurry up. Matt put up numbers like crazy, the receivers looked good, and it was a really solid and necessary adjustment. He hated doing it, as he LOVED his "balance method" of the WCO, which worked great when he had talent. But he realized he needed to change. Hopefully on this dreadfully long flight home Pete has the same kind of epiphany and follows what he says in his GD book. Do things better than they've ever been done before Pete. That's what you said. Step up. Do them differently, because now you're just doing the definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Sorry, but your defense sucks right now, and that's on you sir. Re-evaluate and do things better than ever. That's your mantra. That's what I've been trying to do as I try to heal and resume my life. Don't let me down you magnificent son of a bitch. ;)

Your last line seriously made me laugh out loud. Didnt see that coming from you. :lol:
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:57 pm
  • Greg your assuming he going to fail??

Do you understand we're only half way thru the season??? geezz..
    redeye81
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:58 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    SharkHawk wrote:He needs to make some modifications. Remember when the Hawks had no running game as Ruskell had destroyed the offensive line and Shaun had broken his foot and the offense just sucked? What did Holmgren do? He adjusted for ONCE and just started running the hurry up. Matt put up numbers like crazy, the receivers looked good, and it was a really solid and necessary adjustment. He hated doing it, as he LOVED his "balance method" of the WCO, which worked great when he had talent. But he realized he needed to change. Hopefully on this dreadfully long flight home Pete has the same kind of epiphany and follows what he says in his GD book. Do things better than they've ever been done before Pete. That's what you said. Step up. Do them differently, because now you're just doing the definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Sorry, but your defense sucks right now, and that's on you sir. Re-evaluate and do things better than ever. That's your mantra. That's what I've been trying to do as I try to heal and resume my life. Don't let me down you magnificent son of a bitch. ;)

Your last line seriously made me laugh out loud. Didnt see that coming from you. :lol:

Glad it worked. That's what I was going for. We all need a laugh today. ;)
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:02 pm
  • redeye81 wrote:Greg your assuming he going to fail??

Do you understand we're only half way thru the season??? geezz..

Red, you are still missing the point. Come back later when you can be more rational.

Didn't say a word about him "failing". Didn't say a word about firing him.

It's time for an assessment.

You can jump up and down on the "half way through the season" trampoline all day long. Those are the kind of placebos that this fan base always seems to rely on - always an excuse or a silver lining. But it's also completely fair to point the finger at Pete for this team not getting over the hump at this point.

Doesn't mean I want to get rid of him. It means I think we should assess where he is at.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:03 pm
  • Ok assess what?

It's like assessing at half time.. it's not over yet..

As far as missing the point.. I don't believe there is a point to be made YET... We could turn around and win like 6 in a row.. What now of your early assessment?
    Last edited by redeye81 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    redeye81
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:03 pm
  • I think after the Seahawks lose people need to go outside and get some fresh air.
    * NET Staff *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:04 pm
  • redeye81 wrote:Ok assess what?

Ok, that's fine. This thread isn't for you.

I didn't realize we had to wait until the off-season for assessments...
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:06 pm
  • redeye81 wrote:Ok assess what?

Assess what he's done so far. The season isn't one long 84 quarter game. It's a 16 game season. 4-4 is a poor start. We're another step closer to going 7-9 yet again. Assess what has happened in the first 8 games. It's unacceptable. The improvements were supposed to be coming fast and furious this year. The team had goals. Their goals weren't to finish one game better than last year, which is what they'd be lucky to be on pace for. They talked about winning the division and going deep in the playoffs. Those were THEIR goals. Not goals I made for them. So far the assessment is that they aren't really doing that well.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:09 pm
  • We are also a step from being 10-6.. how do you say we're closer to 7-9? come on we played on the road.. we need to win 2 road games and all our home games. We are right on track..

I still think this assessment is chicken little.. but whatever..
    redeye81
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:11 pm
  • Geez guys, what he's saying is not that radical. All he's saying is that we should look at how things are progressing and how Pete's doing. He's not saying Pete sucks, or what we see now is a finished product or anything.

Seems like some here just like to argue for the sake of arguiing.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:11 pm
  • The way I see it, we now enter pre-season part 2.

Including next year's pre-season, we now have 12 full games to get this thing fine tuned. If we are 4-4 this time next year, it should be aloha Pete (take Sark with you).
    Having your views challenged is a lot more healthy than simply jabbering on with people who think exactly the same way as you.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:13 pm
  • lol i agree.. but the title of thread is "Pete in the cross hairs" how you can say that is not radical??? Even the NRA would see that as radical.. lol

You have to look at the whole picture.. We win our home games and steal one more road win we're in.... how that for an assessment?
    redeye81
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:14 pm
  • Holmgren went to the playoffs year one, blew the team up rebuilt and it was not till year 5 that we became a playoff team again.

Sure seems to me that Pete Carroll's rebuild is coming along quicker then Holmgren"s
    warden
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:15 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Geez guys, what he's saying is not that radical. All he's saying is that we should look at how things are progressing and how Pete's doing. He's not saying Pete sucks, or what we see now is a finished product or anything.

Seems like some here just like to argue for the sake of arguiing.

Yeah...didn't think it was be this inflammatory. It's very simple, actually.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:16 pm
  • In the cross hairs means he's being focused on. His ability and results are being targeted. That's how I read it. Not that they were going to blow up the front office. It means, it's time to analyze what is going wrong and if it is with the coaching staff then Pete needs to make changes there and turn over some things, whether they be schemes, or coaches. He went through 500 players. Now it's time to fine tune his coaching and his coaching staff. If he can do that with the current guys, then terrific. But it doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe it's time to try 10 new offensive and defensive coordinators eh?
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:16 pm
  • Ya Holmgren must have been in the cross hairs in 2004.. just kidding Greg....

I agree i get pissed when we lose.. it sucks but lets just see what happens.. if we lose out go like 6-10.. let's talk about cross hairs.. i'll sight the rifle for you!
    redeye81
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:19 pm
  • redeye81 wrote:Ya Holmgren must have been in the cross hairs in 2004.. just kidding Greg....

I agree i get pissed when we lose.. it sucks but lets just see what happens.. if we lose out go like 6-10.. let's talk about cross hairs.. i'll sight the rifle for you!

I'm actually NOT pissed. I'm more disheartened. And red I give you a pass because you and I are usually in step. :P

My concern is this fan base has become accustomed to mediocrity and is afraid to open Pandoras Box and look at the top of the pyramid...

Again - I LOVE Pete. He's done remarkable things to turn us into a competitor. We could very well end up 11-5 this season.

The whole point of the thread AT THIS POINT is to assess Carroll. We have nuked the QB position, the WRs, the defense. There is more here to evaluate.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:40 pm
  • SharkHawk wrote:Assess what he's done so far. The season isn't one long 84 quarter game. It's a 16 game season. 4-4 is a poor start. We're another step closer to going 7-9 yet again. Assess what has happened in the first 8 games. It's unacceptable. The improvements were supposed to be coming fast and furious this year. The team had goals. Their goals weren't to finish one game better than last year, which is what they'd be lucky to be on pace for. They talked about winning the division and going deep in the playoffs. Those were THEIR goals. Not goals I made for them. So far the assessment is that they aren't really doing that well.

While I think the team is underperforming and needs to be assessed and adjusted, I have to point out that at this time last year, we were on pace to be 4-12.

"Pace" is a meaningless term in football, IMO. Or to be more precise, it refers to a flawed/fictional concept.

Back on topic. I like the fact that we are close in the games we have lost. It is much better than getting blown out. I do not like that we can't seem to put a team away when we have the opportunity. And I really can't stand this 3rd down curse/anomaly/whatever this team seems to be suffering. I get that we're a young team, and I sometimes have to remind myself that Wilson, Irvin, Wagner, Turbin, etc. are still rookies, but that doesn't explain the problems the team has had all over. The coaches right now are part of the problem.

I'm still drinking the koolaid, and in PC&JS I trust. But come on, guys, give yourselves a slap in the face and figure this out!
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:41 pm
  • BlueTalon wrote:
    SharkHawk wrote:Assess what he's done so far. The season isn't one long 84 quarter game. It's a 16 game season. 4-4 is a poor start. We're another step closer to going 7-9 yet again. Assess what has happened in the first 8 games. It's unacceptable. The improvements were supposed to be coming fast and furious this year. The team had goals. Their goals weren't to finish one game better than last year, which is what they'd be lucky to be on pace for. They talked about winning the division and going deep in the playoffs. Those were THEIR goals. Not goals I made for them. So far the assessment is that they aren't really doing that well.

While I think the team is underperforming and needs to be assessed and adjusted, I have to point out that at this time last year, we were on pace to be 4-12.

"Pace" is a meaningless term in football, IMO. Or to be more precise, it refers to a flawed/fictional concept.

Back on topic. I like the fact that we are close in the games we have lost. It is much better than getting blown out. I do not like that we can't seem to put a team away when we have the opportunity. And I really can't stand this 3rd down curse/anomaly/whatever this team seems to be suffering. I get that we're a young team, and I sometimes have to remind myself that Wilson, Irvin, Wagner, Turbin, etc. are still rookies, but that doesn't explain the problems the team has had all over. The coaches right now are part of the problem.

I'm still drinking the koolaid, and in PC&JS I trust. But come on, guys, give yourselves a slap in the face and figure this out!

Well stated, Blue. Perfect example of being objectionable and yet hopeful and passionate about the team.

Wish we had more of that in here.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:45 pm
  • I like this post.

Debate is good, and is necessary for growth. There is nothing really knee jerk. I don't think I'm the only one who felt today should have been a win I don't care how good the Lions were last year they were 2-4 coming into this game.

I am starting to question Pete Carroll whether it be him or his hired coaches someone is not getting the job done, also who challenges a play that will result in a first down either way? Thats lack of football intelligence and there really is no excuse for something even fans can see.
    "Somehow a second year quarterback was more ready for this game, than a first ballot hall of famer!?"
    -DMac 104.3 Denver The Fan after Super Bowl XLVIII
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:48 pm
  • NFSeahawks628 wrote:I like this post.

Debate is good, and is necessary for growth. There is nothing really knee jerk. I don't think I'm the only one who felt today should have been a win I don't care how good the Lions were last year they were 2-4 coming into this game.

I am starting to question Pete Carroll whether it be him or his hired coaches someone is not getting the job done, also who challenges a play that will result in a first down either way? Thats lack of football intelligence and there really is no excuse for something even fans can see.

I still have faith in the coaches...I just think Pete needs to be way more aggressive in his implementation of changes.

We are seeing some of the same disturbing things every week. That's on the head coach.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:51 pm
  • Really. I don't see coaching as a problem.

Players are supposed to make plays, and when they don't ....that is coaching?

Sorry...not true.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:55 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Really. I don't see coaching as a problem.

Sorry...not true.

I have never disagreed with you...so I won't start now. :th2thumbs:

But I have to ask--where is the line between head coach and player performance?

I guess it boils down to this...if we end up 7-9 or 8-8 again, is everyone still onboard?
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:57 pm
  • At some point we have to start winning more then we lose.

That's Pete's job. If he can't then they will take it away. And they would be justified to do so.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Sorry...not true.

The players don't decide the defensive coverage. Starting with Kolb and going down at least 4 others games the opposing QB has dink and dunked across the middle of the field with great success. We have solid players on defense, something isn't adding up.
    "Somehow a second year quarterback was more ready for this game, than a first ballot hall of famer!?"
    -DMac 104.3 Denver The Fan after Super Bowl XLVIII
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

In general I don't. It is just certain situations. The 3rd and long defense is a problem. Is that 100% execution. 100% coaching? a combo? Coaching in general has been good. Player acquisition has been better though. There needs to be some assessment here to determine why we aren't much better than an average team right now. 3 years in, we should be better. There are teams that started "rebuilding" at the same time, that have rebuilt much quicker. The question is why? How did San Francisco get better so quickly? Was it because they were just underperforming for years? What about the Rams already beating us this year after being godawful just a year ago? What about the massive improvements seen by some teams that were much worse than us? We're kind of stagnant. Average from year to year. We could have a bad year and a great year (like the Jets seem to do). But why aren't we at the point where we're at least able to stop a team on 3rd and long. It's just that one issue that's driving us all bonkers. That is something that needs fixing ASAP, and this will be a seriously good team.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:58 pm

Sorry...not true.

Yes and no. Execution on any given play is on the players. Consistent execution, or patterns of execuation, are on the coaches. Scheme is on the coaches.

And something isn't right.
    Last edited by BlueTalon on Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:59 pm
  • Tech Worlds wrote:At some point we have to start winning more then we lose.

That's Pete's job. If he can't then they will take it away. And they would be justified to do so.

Thanks, Dom. You hit it.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:09 pm
  • Did anyone else wonder what was up with the running play with 12 sec left in the second quarter? Seems like it screwed us out of 3 points.
    edogg23
    NET Starter

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:15 pm
  • I think they thought (as Holmgren always did) that the draw play is worth at least 6 or 7 yards as it is supposed to catch teams off guard, as it was an OBVIOUS pass situation. Unfortunately the team seems to be tipping plays in that situation as the draw fools nobody.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:18 pm
  • No one has a crystal ball for this season. We could go on a win streak to end it for all we know. I think it's a bit premature to be jumping to these kinds of conclusions when it's only week 8. There's no telling how the record comes out until all the games are played and all the chips are down. No offense to the OP intended.

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:21 pm
  • Bakergirl wrote:No one has a crystal ball for this season. We could go on a win streak to end it for all we know. I think it's a bit premature to be jumping to these kinds of conclusions when it's only week 8. There's no telling how the record comes out until all the games are played and all the chips are down. No offense to the OP intended.

Perfectly acceptable response...
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:27 pm
  • My random ideas on Pete as HC.

He has implemented some unique concepts on defense that were un-heard of. But the recent losses and earlier games has exposed a vulnerability in the defense that has to be plugged. He seems to have a good feel for player development and procurement. The offense has been given an identity running the ball that I am proud of but teams are starting to take it away. His QB is getting better which may allow him to keep the offense from being minimized.

He appears to have gotten the penalties in check and there are positive points to note with the team.

He isn't in the league of a Bellichick but he could be seen as a Cowher if he can get over the hump. I saw this team as 9-7 and that is still my thought. It is a shame that two winnable games the past two weeks slipped away but I don't see this as a disaster. Until the team can go on the road and win more than 50% they will be competitive at home and a nice adversary on the road with very minimal results.

Depending on how the team ends the season, Pete could be on notice next season. Would be a shock to me if anything happens to him after this season but again, depends on how the season plays out.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:40 pm
  • Gut feeling says we can't keep playing to be in close games and hope for the best.

Looking at our roster, maybe that's the best we can do with what we have.

A piece or two here and there, my gut says we can turn the tables and play to win consistently next year. If a few guys step up and "get it," maybe even later this year.

I just keep thinking how utterly, maddeningly hopeless this entire team was a few years ago. No excuses for what they are doing now. Just saying, expecting to win every week is a serious improvement over the 2006-2009 years. Pete & John have a whole lot to do with that.

To revamp this team the way they have is impressive. To completely kill the demons of the past they will have to put all the pieces in place to win on the road and take control of the division, first and foremost.
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:42 pm
  • I don't have a problem with this at all. To me, I compare the players we had in 2011 and our replacements.

RW vs. TJack?
    Hawthorne vs. Wagner?
    2011 Rice & Tate vs. 2012 version
    2011 TEs vs. 2012 version
    Pass rush improved?

To me, I see improvement regardless of what the record says. And, the team has 2 rookies starting in key positions on both sides of the ball, so I see rookie mistakes/breakdowns during the game, but the potential is there.

My expectations were modest given those circumstances, but I see a ton of upside for the rest of the year and beyond.
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:56 pm
  • I think 8 games is enough sample size to determine if the trends are due to coaching or execution. And it's starting to look like it's coaching, especially on 3rd and long. Our players are not that bad.

That said, I still think we can get over the hump. Just tempering my expectations a bit, and will go along with what Schneider said about this being a four-year plan.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:21 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information