Why does Sidney Rice keep slowing down?

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
cesame":1oq79hjv said:
As he kept running up the sideline...

He never sat down in a window, sorry

You're right, he didn't stop, he slowed down. If he had stopped he would have been standing next to the CB. If he had ran full speed, he would have ran right into the safety. Wilson led him into the safety anyway.

endzorn

Reaction score
There is no way you can blame that on Rice. If Wilson throws into the giant window Rice had run into then we are likely still ahead. Instead Wilson chucked it deep and Rice was forced to speed up again and the safety cherry picked it. Not Rice's fault at all.

It's OK to say Wilson makes a mistake people. The football Gods won't punish you for pointing out the obvious.

OP
OP
C

cesame

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":16cv3bum said:
cesame":16cv3bum said:

You're right, he didn't stop, he slowed down. If he had stopped he would have been standing next to the CB. If he had ran full speed, he would have ran right into the safety. Wilson led him into the safety anyway.

Again, Rice threw his hand up and kept running up the sideline. That's asking for a down field throw.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
cesame":1we0dym7 said:
XxXdragonXxX":1we0dym7 said:
cesame":1we0dym7 said:

Again, Rice threw his hand up and kept running up the sideline. That's asking for a down field throw.

No, it absolutely is not. He was calling for the ball because he was WIDE open, Wilson threw it to the safety.

endzorn

Reaction score
I will have to remember that. Every time a player raises his hand that means throw it deep.

Uffda

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1eou7zf1 said:
Better question is.. how did Wilson miss him running free down the sideline and why did he throw it to their safety.

That interception was all on Wilson, dude was wide open had 5 yards on the coverage and he floated it up there too far. Long enough that a linebacker had time to cross the field, cut him off.

drdiags

Reaction score
I guess the fact that Wilson said after the game that he thought Rice putting up his hand meant he was going deep versus Rice saying I am open, throw it now. I know in the end it is on the QB but this is yet another example of not being familiar with one another.

It does take awhile for this type of info to filter out, but once the facts are known maybe a revisit from those pointing fingers is in order. Or not if it doesn't fit the agenda. Both parties share the blame. Maybe 90% is right?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
drdiags":hioo0era said:
I guess the fact that Wilson said after the game that he thought Rice putting up his hand meant he was going deep versus Rice saying I am open, throw it now. I know in the end it is on the QB but this is yet another example of not being familiar with one another.

It does take awhile for this type of info to filter out, but once the facts are known maybe a revisit from those pointing fingers is in order. Or not if it doesn't fit the agenda. Both parties share the blame. Maybe 90% is right?

Post of the week.

pehawk

Reaction score
Rice slowed down on the post, FOR SURE. He gave up on the route and that was the foot he ended up being overthrown by.

That's why it pissed me off Rice was throwing a tantrum in SF. He's the last person to say anything, he's good for a mental boner a game, at least one.

hawker84

Reaction score
this one was on RW, having said that... i think it's hilarious you flynnites will take any thread subject and turn it around to a RW bashing thread... it's beyond ridiculous at this point... he made a bad throw, whoopty doo, it happens, it's not the harderst position on the football field for nothing. why don't you guys start your own , "We Love Matt Flynn" thread and you guys can go to town with all this stuff, cuz frankly i'm getting tired of you poluting every threads with this garbage....

Largent80

Reaction score
It is going to take awhile for the passing game to be in sync. Remember Hass' first year?

After that , he was throwing the ball sooner, which Wilson will learn to do. Remember, he IS still learning and is a rookie.

Yeah, Rice delayed a microsecond on that long ball up the middle. The pass still hit his hands, and he admitted he should have caught it. But that little milisecond prevented his body from being in the perfect place to haul it in.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
endzorn":2k50hqbo said:
There is no way you can blame that on Rice. If Wilson throws into the giant window Rice had run into then we are likely still ahead. Instead Wilson chucked it deep and Rice was forced to speed up again and the safety cherry picked it. Not Rice's fault at all.

It's OK to say Wilson makes a mistake people. The football Gods won't punish you for pointing out the obvious.

No man, its even worse because Wilson IS the football god! To say anything negative about his performance is utter blasphemy to many worshipers around here.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Rice slowed down a very noticeable amount to wave his arm. Had he just kept going, which is what Wilson expected, (rightly or wrongly, I don't know) it would have been a catch or incomplete pass, most likely.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, the sideline INT occured on a first down pass like so many here have been clamoring for. AND it followed the nice ET INT. Whatever and whenever it occurred-it felt like the most dramatic loss of momentum in the game. I thought we were going to put them away at that point.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Holy sh*t, how is saying Russel Wilson is at fault for the pick "Wilson bashing" ?

As has been stated above, this one is 90% on Wilson. You can obviously see the hole in the zone, and Rice slowed down to stay in it. You don't stop a route, or the coverage catches up to you. If he keeps running, he runs into the safety, and either gets blown up, or it's an incompletion. Rice has more experience than WIlson, and I'm trusting he had the right read on this play.

I also agree he could've sped up to try to break up the INT, but we're assuming he knew Wilson was going to overthrow him, and also assuming he knew exactly where the FS was, which are both assumptions we can't make. Also, he slowed down to sit in that window, maybe he didn't have the acceleration to catch back up to the play. It's definately a miss by the QB here.

Now, the end zone play, he slowed down a bit and it's all on him. Wilson threw that ball to the right spot, and it looked like Rice lost it in the lights.