Pac-12 Sucks So Bad

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
Pac-12 Sucks So Bad
Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:08 pm
  • Seriously? USC loses to unranked Arizona? OSU loses to unranked UW? Teams not even probably in the top 40. Wow.

I was just looking at who OSU, USC, and Stanford played. I don't even think anyone they even played is in the top 25 anymore after this weekend. Seriously go look. The only time USC or Stanford even played a current top 25 team is when they played each other :( . Oregon will probably keep dropping in the polls. Even putting up 70 on a conference opponent probably won't help them. Strength of schedule will possibly be Oregons demise. Go look at OSU and USC's schedule and tell me how they are even a top 20 team with those schedules and who have they beat, its Boise State level garbage. Stanfords claim to fame is beating USC lol. And some d bag Sonic guy was trying to say I should be embarrassed comparing the Pac-12 to the Big-12? Pac-12 is competing for the 4th best conference with the ACC at this point, forget about 2nd best.

So disappointing.
    SEC FAN
    NET Starter

Re: Pac-12 Sucks So Bad
Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:13 pm
  • Arizona will probably be in the top 25 this week, but mostly I agree with you, the Pac 12 is Oregon and a bunch of average/crappy teams.

Just like the SEC is Alabama and a bunch of average/crappy teams.

Just like the Big 12 is K State and a bunch of average/crappy teams (although i'm not convinced that K State is really good).
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:26 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Just like the SEC is Alabama and a bunch of average/crappy teams.

Thats funny. Sorry J. I know how much you love your Ducks bro and the reality sucks man. Who knows man maybe USC beats Notre Dame, Kansas State loses in the Big 12 title game, and LSU loses to Alabama. Maybe that will be good enough but probably not looking at the garbage Pac-12. I was hoping the SEC could beat up on Oregon again in the National Title Game.
    Last edited by SEC FAN on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SEC FAN
    NET Starter

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:29 pm
  • SEC FAN wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Just like the SEC is Alabama and a bunch of average/crappy teams.

Thats funny. Sorry J. I know how much you love your Ducks bro and the reality sucks man. Who knows man maybe Stanford beats Notre Dame, Kansas State loses in the Big 12 title game, and LSU loses to Alabama. Maybe that will be good enough but probably not looking at the garbage Pac-12.

Big 12 doesnt have a title game. Which is going to kill them when they have one less win then the other undefeateds. (if there are 3 undefeateds).
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:35 pm
  • Ahhh I forgot about that. I remember how Oklahoma State was crying about 2 SEC teams playing for the BCS Title Game. Maybe that will help Oregon but I'm don't think so. Oklahoma State only lost out because the SEC was a better conference. Same problem with Oregon. Who knows maybe undefeated with a Pac-12 Championship Game win can be enough.
    SEC FAN
    NET Starter

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:39 pm
  • SEC FAN wrote:Ahhh I forgot about that. I remember how Oklahoma State was crying about 2 SEC teams playing for the BCS Title Game. Maybe that will help Oregon but I'm don't think so. Oklahoma State only lost out because the SEC was a better conference. Same problem with Oregon.

If i were a betting man, which i'm not, i would bet that Alabama, Oregon and K State end up undefeated. I think USC will beat Notre Dame in Los angelas, i just dont think the ND offense is good enough. Oregon will solidify their number 2 ranking in the human polls and will benefit in the computer polls from beating Stanford, Oregon State, and USC twice, who should all be ranked in the top 20.

I think it will be Oregon vs Alabama in the title game. I think Alabama would likely be the favorite and should probably win, but it would shock me more if it was a blowout, then if Oregon beat them.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:42 pm
  • K State is for real. Would love to see them play Oregon AND Alabama. Need the playoffs for this year and these 3 teams.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:42 pm
  • You can't name a team better than Oregon besides Alabama.

Fact.
    cesame
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:45 pm
  • Why would LSU have to lose to Alabama?

Makes no sense.
    cesame
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:51 am
  • Arizona is a good team and would give any sec team fits. They beat top 25 Ok St by a ton, and like I've said choked vs or St. Honestly right now they should be 7-1, and they are the second best team in the PAC IMO.

Kstate would get blasted by Oregon, they don't have the speed to stop Oregon. Oklahoma, there biggest win, isn't a very good team. Klein wouldn't run all over the UO or bama d. Both d are far to athletic for him to do that.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:38 am

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:19 pm
  • I think its funny that when there is parity in the Pac12 its because the conference sucks, but when its the SEC that has parity, that just means its strong from top to bottom.

K-State is good, but they are feasting on an abysmal conference this year. Big 12 is far worse than the Pac12. Bill Snyder has done another remarkable job though. That team has 7 win talent and they will probably go undefeated.

I thought for a long time that SC would beat Notre Dame, but SC is weak up front and Notre Dame is real stout. This ND defense is like those old Bob Davie defense before he became head coach.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:52 am
  • SonicHawk wrote:K State is for real. Would love to see them play Oregon AND Alabama. Need the playoffs for this year and these 3 teams.

If Kansas State hadn't decided to let the computers play the "who's better game" this year, we might have seen the first match-up.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:12 pm
  • I think Texas A&M is a perfect example of how over-hyped the SEC is. After losing a 1st rd pick QB to the NFL they have gone 3-2 in SEC play so far. Last year with a Star QB they were 4-5 in Big 12 play. They move to the SEC and are just as competitive if not more. They barely lost to Florida (-3) and LSU (-5) the SEC's #2 and #3 teams. Kinda funny how the PAC-12's middling teams
    Ore St beat Wisconsin Big 10 #4
    UCLA beat Nebraska Big 10 #2
    Arizona beat Ok St Big 12 #3

Another thing that blows my mind why does nobody mention how many home games the SEC powers have. Bama, LSU, and Florida only have 4 away games all season. Oregon, USC, Ore St, UCLA all have 5 away games and Stanford has 6. How about the SEC grows a pair and sends Bama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, or South Carolina to Oregon or USC for a game and see how they do. I love the season open LSU vs Oregon last year, but that was still basically a LSU home game. I was really hoping UW would be respectable this year down at LSU but they choked and havn't regained form since they lost Polk, Kearse, and Aguliar.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:20 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:I think Texas A&M is a perfect example of how over-hyped the SEC is. After losing a 1st rd pick QB to the NFL they have gone 3-2 in SEC play so far. Last year with a Star QB they were 4-5 in Big 12 play. They move to the SEC and are just as competitive if not more. They barely lost to Florida (-3) and LSU (-5) the SEC's #2 and #3 teams.

Frankly, A&M didn't play to their talent level last several years in the Big 12.

They did replace Tannehill with a damn good player.

And got rid of a calm coach and replaced him with a very intense coach. I think Sherman "lost" a few of his players last year. Sumlin has everyone's attention and they want to play for him.
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:37 pm
  • DTexHawk wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:I think Texas A&M is a perfect example of how over-hyped the SEC is. After losing a 1st rd pick QB to the NFL they have gone 3-2 in SEC play so far. Last year with a Star QB they were 4-5 in Big 12 play. They move to the SEC and are just as competitive if not more. They barely lost to Florida (-3) and LSU (-5) the SEC's #2 and #3 teams.

Frankly, A&M didn't play to their talent level last several years in the Big 12.

They did replace Tannehill with a damn good player.

And got rid of a calm coach and replaced him with a very intense coach. I think Sherman "lost" a few of his players last year. Sumlin has everyone's attention and they want to play for him.

So A&M is better this year? even if so, they way people talk about the SEC would make you think it's not even worth comparing. It reminds me of the way Dem's laugh of every Obama flub.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:50 pm
  • I hate Texas A&M, but they are a better coached, better conditioned, mentally and physically, team this year. The SEC is down a little bit this year as Auburn, normally at least a seven win team, has completely fallen apart. Chizik will be gone(thank god) at the end of the year I hope. Arkansas, thanks to Petrino being, well Petrino and then the idiotic decision to make John L Smith as the interim, has led a very talented team to struggle early on. Yeah, Texas A&M is 3-2, but they've beaten three horrible SEC teams. It's like beating WSU, Colorado and Cal and thumping your chest about it. And they got LSU(Down this year) and Florida, at home. Numbers aren't everything.

This is the weakest the SEC has been in quite some time. So, all the people that hate the SEC, get your kicks in. Still think the Pac 12 and the SEC are by far the best conferences this year, third year in a row that has been the case.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:01 am
  • The SEC has an embarrassment of riches on the athletic level, and a dearth of talent on the coaching level. Saban is really smart, but some of the coaching gaffes from the other SEC coaches are on the Monte Kiffen level of hilarious.

But if you want to really compare conferences, lets look at the NFL draft first. That is where the SEC truly shows it's superiority.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:14 pm
  • "But if you want to really compare conferences, lets look at the NFL draft first. That is where the SEC truly shows it's superiority."

Well looking at the 2012 NFC Pro Bowl roster let's see which conference has the "best players" as we all know being drafted in the 1st round doesn't mean much just ask Aaron Curry, Koren Robinson, Jeremy Stevens.
    9-PAC 12
    8-SEC
    8-ACC
    5-BIG 10
    3-BIG EAST
    3-Conf USA
    2-Mid American
    2-Sun Belt
    1-BIG 12

PAC 12-Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay
    BIG 10- Drew Brees, New Orleans
    SEC-Eli Manning, N.Y. Giants
    SEC-Cam Newton, Carolina
    Big East-LeSean McCoy, Philadelphia
    C_USA-Matt Forte, Chicago
    ACC-Frank Gore, San Francisco
    PAC 12-Marshawn Lynch, Seattle
    Big 10-Michael Robinson, Seattle
    DII-John Kuhn, Green Bay
    Big East-Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona
    PAC 12-Steve Smith, Carolina
    Mid Amer- Greg Jennings, Green Bay
    ACC -Calvin Johnson, Detroit
    C USA-Roddy White, Atlanta
    ACC-Jimmy Graham, New Orleans
    PAC 12-Tony Gonzalez, Atl
    SEC-Jason Peters, Philadelphia
    Mid Amer-Joe Staley, San Francisco
    DII - Jermon Bushrod, New Orleans
    DII- Jahri Evans, New Orleans
    Big 10-Carl Nicks, New Orleans
    ACC - Davin Joseph, Tampa Bay
    PAC 12-Ryan Kalil, Carolina
    SEC - Scott Wells, Green Bay
    Big Sky-Jared Allen, Minnesota
    C USA-Jason Babin, Philadelphia
    ACC-Julius Peppers, Chicago
    Big East-Jason Pierre-Paul, N.Y. Giants
    SEC-Jay Ratliff, Dallas
    SEC-Justin Smith, San Francisco
    ACC - B.J. Raji, Green Bay
    PAC 12 -Clay Matthews, Green Bay
    Sun Belt-DeMarcus Ware, Dallas
    PAC 12-Lance Briggs, Chicago
    Big 10-Chad Greenway, Minnesota
    SEC-Patrick Willis, San Francisco
    MW-Brian Urlacher, Chicago
    DII-London Fletcher, Washington
    BIG 10-Charles Woodson, Green Bay
    PAC 12-Brandon Browner, Seattle
    SEC-Carlos Rogers, San Francisco
    Sun belt-Charles Tillman, Chicago
    Big 12-Earl Thomas, Seattle
    ACC-Kam Chancellor, Seattle
    PAC 12-Dashon Goldson, San Francisco
    ACC-Adrian Wilson, Arizona
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:46 am
  • Without pulling the AFC pro bowl roster, I would say you are manipulating stats (and isn't the pro-bowl a popularity contest?).

By limiting players to fill a roster, you may be leaving off the 4th-10th best players at each position that are outstanding players and could have a majority of players from the SEC.

Also, the draft is closer picture of college players which is relevant when comparing "college" conferences. Great college players don't necessarily translate into great NFL players; (Tebow).
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:02 am
  • seahawk2k wrote:The SEC is down a little bit this year as Auburn, normally at least a seven win team, has completely fallen apart. Chizik will be gone(thank god) at the end of the year I hope. Arkansas, thanks to Petrino being, well Petrino and then the idiotic decision to make John L Smith as the interim, has led a very talented team to struggle early on.

Truth.

As an Auburn alum, I was never excited about Chizik, and it's become crystal clear that the '10 national championship had far more to do with Cam Newton, Nick Fairley, Gus Malzahn, and an experienced and dominant O-line than it did with Chizik.

And the thing is that Auburn hasn't had bad recruiting classes. They've been solid. The player development hasn't been acceptable at all. This season is completely on the coaches, and the sooner it's over, the better. They can oust the AD while they're at it, too.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:18 am
  • Vol,

I traveled to Atlanta last weekend to visit son at GaTech. (Full disclosure - have 1 son graduated A&M and another son still there).

Quite a few Aggies traveling on the way there. On Sunday at Atlanta airport, lots of smiling Aggies and a lot of frowns from Auburn fans.

Auburn will be back.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:48 am
  • DTexHawk wrote:Vol,

I traveled to Atlanta last weekend to visit son at GaTech. (Full disclosure - have 1 son graduated A&M and another son still there).

Quite a few Aggies traveling on the way there. On Sunday at Atlanta airport, lots of smiling Aggies and a lot of frowns from Auburn fans.

Auburn will be back.

I'm sure Auburn will right the ship, and frankly, there's no way going 3-9 (and 0-8 in conference) will result in anything less than the firing of the HC - and that's what I expect as the best case scenario.

So yeah, I imagine there will be much needed change. The question is how long until the new AD and coaches get things going. It's hard to be essentially rebuilding while the bastards across the state are stringing together NCs.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:04 pm

Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:31 pm
  • I don't think it is going to take Auburn that long to get back to where they should be, 8-10 wins a year, once every four years a real threat to the national title. The issue isn't talent, it is, like you said, player development and coaching. They get the right guy in there and they are a bowl team next year.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:15 pm
  • People always say the Pac-12 sucks when they are in conference, which makes no sense to me. Shouldn't it say more about a conference if the top teams are losing to conference rivals?

The Pac-10 was a good conference, but the additions of Colorado and Utah have really watered it down. Still, it's an above average conference that is usually one of the two or three best conferences every year in number of top 25 teams. When USC was dominating under Carroll, everyone said that they had it easy, but they were wrong. It's just as wrong today with Oregon.

That said, Oregon honestly hasn't played anybody special yet, but that is about to change.

Fun fact: Oregon's defense ranks #2 nationally behind Alabama in Football outsiders advanced metrics*. Granted, they haven't played a tough schedule, but they made Matt Scott look human and shut out Arizona who otherwise averages almost 40 a game. That is a seriously nasty defense, coupled with an elite offense. I haven't watched K-state, but I have a hard time believing they have a better combination of offense and defense. Chip Kelly might be the smartest coach in the college ranks.

*UW is 20th nationally. Haha Nick Holt.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:34 pm
  • kearly wrote:People always say the Pac-12 sucks when they are in conference, which makes no sense to me. Shouldn't it say more about a conference if the top teams are losing to conference rivals?

The Pac-10 was a good conference, but the additions of Colorado and Utah have really watered it down. Still, it's an above average conference that is usually one of the two or three best conferences every year in number of top 25 teams. When USC was dominating under Carroll, everyone said that they had it easy, but they were wrong. It's just as wrong today with Oregon.

That said, Oregon honestly hasn't played anybody special yet, but that is about to change.

Fun fact: Oregon's defense ranks #2 nationally behind Alabama in Football outsiders advanced metrics*. Granted, they haven't played a tough schedule, but they made Matt Scott look human and shut out Arizona who otherwise averages almost 40 a game. That is a seriously nasty defense, coupled with an elite offense. I haven't watched K-state, but I have a hard time believing they have a better combination of offense and defense. Chip Kelly might be the smartest coach in the college ranks.

*UW is 20th nationally. Haha Nick Holt.

Good stuff. Also dont forget I dont think the starting defense has played in the 4th quarter all year and there have been 4 or 5 games where they were out at halftime. So in reality the numbers and stats should be even better.

I read one stat where if you just counted drives (both offensively and defensively) in the time that Mariota is still on the field, and then extrapolated that into a full 60 minute game the Ducks average score would be 69-9.

Personally, i'm starting to think we can beat Alabama. I wouldnt have thought that at the start of the year. Of course we have to get past USC first.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:30 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:Another thing that blows my mind why does nobody mention how many home games the SEC powers have. Bama, LSU, and Florida only have 4 away games all season. Oregon, USC, Ore St, UCLA all have 5 away games and Stanford has 6. How about the SEC grows a pair and sends Bama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, or South Carolina to Oregon or USC for a game and see how they do.

Why don't they? Because top SEC teams have nothing to gain from going to Autzen or the LA Coliseum, if they win their conference they're all but assured in the BCS Title Game.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:38 am
  • Last year, the SEC put 42 guys into the NFL via the draft. The PAC 12? 28.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:55 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:Last year, the SEC put 42 guys into the NFL via the draft. The PAC 12? 28.

Oh yeah? Well, the SEC guys are probably ugly because they're from the deep south unlike us beautiful west coasters.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:50 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Last year, the SEC put 42 guys into the NFL via the draft. The PAC 12? 28.

Oh yeah? Well, the SEC guys are probably ugly because they're from the deep south unlike us beautiful west coasters.

Well no wonder Pac 12 isn't as good. Football is an ugly game when played correctly.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:26 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information