Why the obsession with passing?

OP
OP
S

SuperBowlXLChamps

Reaction score
MrCarey":j6hsn6qg said:
Passing wins games. Unless of course you are Blaine Gabbert.

I'm tired of playing from behind because we don't score enough points through the air and we leave the game in the hands of our defense.
Just like Passing won the Rams game right?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":u0kt46e7 said:
Sgt. Largent":u0kt46e7 said:
NFL defensive coordinators are too good to be this predictable. btw, if we were scoring 20-30 points a game, I'd be fine with any of this......but we're not, so why does Carroll and Bevell continue to do it?

They do it because they are bringing along a 3rd round draft choice rookie at a pace they have designed for long term success. They are betting that we can stay competitive with our defense while getting Wilson built into the long term answer we've been waiting for. Whether that bet pays off is yet to be determined

I'm not saying let's run the Patriots complicated no huddle offense with five wideouts. All I'm saying is lets be less predictable so that Wilson isn't running for his life seemingly every third down cause everyone and their mom knows we have to pass.

You can bring along a rookie QB and still pass the ball with short safe passes on 1st and/or 2nd down.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Yep, and Seattle has actually looked pretty good when doing so.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I'm torn on whether we should stick to the style we're playing now or to throw the ball more often early.

It seems most of our passing success on early downs has resulted because of the predictable run, run offense we run.

I don't have the time to check, but I think almost all of our big plays have come off the play action on 1st or 2nd down when the defense is predicting a run. Would throwing more often early decrease the chance to catch the defense off-guard with the play action?

On the other hand, passing early creates more first downs instead of predictable third down pass plays in a run, run, pass offense.

The overall problem with our pass game continues to be 3rd down conversions, though. Each QB has to deal with a pass-rush defense on 3rd downs, so the excuse that Wilson is put into a predictable situation is a poor one, IMO.

The problem with passing early, is that, in addition to more first downs, it also creates longer 3rd down conversions and so far, Wilson, and this offense, has not done great on 3rd downs.

Once Wilson and this offense shows he can convert 3rd and mid-distance downs, I'd be much more comfortable allowing him to throw early, with faith they can convert the 3rd and long distance that will happen more often.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SuperBowlXLChamps":dxa6ez3m said:
Why does everyone think we need to go out and basically abandon the run (like the rest of the league) and air it out? I have no problem being 55% Run plays and 45% Pass plays. If Wilson doesn't throw those picks in the Rams game and we don't have all those WR drops in the 49ers game we easily could have won one if not both of those games. I really don't have much of a problem with the playcalling, it's the execution. Throwing more times just increases the chances of turnovers.

I dunno? The run sets up the pass?--The pass sets up the run?-- You lose when you get one demensional? --You take what the Defenses give you?, Maybe all of the above :16:

Hamhawk

Reaction score
I think that when Wilson gets the green light to change out plays at the line, then we will be in a much better place,....right now there are too many missed oportunities to take advantage of what the defenses are lined up in,...may not happen this year though,...PC has his QB development plan, and I doubt he changes it,...

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Who's calling for MORE passes? Well Me.

Our running game is averaging just 4.1 yards per run. Our passing game is averaging a decent 7.0 yards per pass and 60% completion BUT we are dead last in pass attempts per game.
Let's put it in perspective: Detroit Lions are averaging a similar 7.0 yards per pass at 62% completion while Patriots are averaging 7.4 yards per pass at 65% rate. Arizona Cardinals are averaging 6.3 yards per pass and a 58% completion rate. And yet we are dead last in passing attempts per game. Without those 4th quarter pass-happy come-from-behind drives our passing attempts likely wouldn't even be averaging 20 per game.

We rank near last in the league in total offensive yards per game, points per game, as well as first downs per game.
So despite what we think is such a potent running game we are near last in the league in gaining first downs. If we get more first downs we get more attempts which means we are able to pass more while also having our usual number of running plays.

First downs do not have to come as a result of 3rd down plays which is why so many offenses have gone pass-oriented. Averaging 7 or more yards on first immediately increases your chances to convert for first downs and keep drives alive. Mix up the pass and run to keep our the defense guessing and we also improve our chances to convert first downs and touchdowns as opposed to stalling and kicking FGs.

Most of us assume that our good running game will be there for us all season long. What gets lost in this conversation is that our running game may take a hit if Lynch gets injured from our heavy reliance on straight up run plays. Sure we have Turbo but our depth and experience at half-back will be tenuous at best if we lose Lynch. Luckily Lynch has been up to task and remained healthy--hopefully til the very end.
IMO, continuing to feed and develop our passing game will only extend our running game and make the offense less predictable.

Between now and the playoffs we'll have to find our passing game and a good balance in playcalling. Hopefully we won't have to be so pass-happy at the end of games when we're behind.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Time for Mythbusters:

Myth 1: We Run, Run, Pass.

Not true. Going back and checking out the Play by Plays for this season, we don't even run on first down as often as we pass. We Pass, Pass, Run or Pass, Run, Pass or even Run, Pass, Run far more often than we Run, Run, Pass.

Myth 2: We are a run oriented offense. Fact is, we pass more often than we run and if we opened up the passing game even more, then yes, we basically would be abandoning the run. Holmgren's offenses were more balanced than this years Hawks.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Can't score more if we can't extend drives. We've had 2 rushing TD's all season. How's that for a power running game.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":32e19z9k said:
Time for Mythbusters:

Myth 1: We Run, Run, Pass.

Not true. Going back and checking out the Play by Plays for this season, we don't even run on first down as often as we pass. We Pass, Pass, Run or Pass, Run, Pass or even Run, Pass, Run far more often than we Run, Run, Pass.

Myth 2: We are a run oriented offense. Fact is, we pass more often than we run and if we opened up the passing game even more, then yes, we basically would be abandoning the run. Holmgren's offenses were more balanced than this years Hawks.

I get that we don't always Run, Run, Pass. Your claim that we Pass, Pass, Run or Pass, Run, Pass (both 66% passing playcalling) is unfounded. We currently pass at a 40% rate not 60%. We do Run, Pass, Run but rarely do I see us run on 3rd and >4.

manders2600

Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch had the 4th most carries in the league last year (285) and has the second most this year (147, on pace for 336 for the season). He also has the most yards-after-contact of any back in the NFL.

If Seattle continues to run him as they do, he will most likely either:

a) Suffer an injury this year

-or-

b) Be ineffective next year

Seattle needs to find a passing offense, or a 2nd RB who can run as effectively as Lynch, and lighten the load.

The Radish

Reaction score
Or have a very short career.

Doub Farrar did some study on this subject years ago and found running backs with more than 250 or so carrys a year tended to have very short NFL careers. Can't think of the kid from Texas with the huge legs that was a monster but lasted a very short time.

And the guy from KC, Christian Okouya? Another killer runner with a very short career.

We need to not run him to death, that's why I'm glad to see we have a good "second option" and/or change of pace back.

justafan

Reaction score
People find it easier to say all we do is run run pass than to look at the play by play in the boxscore to see whether its true or not,easier to say the playcalling sucks than to admit our players aren't executing.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Salish,

We are a run-oriented offense and No we don't pass more than we run. What you said might have held true for preseason but I wonder where you've been the last seven games.
If it helps for you to go back and review the play-by-play for all seven games for your 'mythbusters' posts then have at it. Just make sure your abacus isn't missing beads while you do so. LOL.
There are simpler ways of checking team stats.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1vy1jks2 said:
kidhawk":1vy1jks2 said:
Sgt. Largent":1vy1jks2 said:
NFL defensive coordinators are too good to be this predictable. btw, if we were scoring 20-30 points a game, I'd be fine with any of this......but we're not, so why does Carroll and Bevell continue to do it?

They do it because they are bringing along a 3rd round draft choice rookie at a pace they have designed for long term success. They are betting that we can stay competitive with our defense while getting Wilson built into the long term answer we've been waiting for. Whether that bet pays off is yet to be determined

I'm not saying let's run the Patriots complicated no huddle offense with five wideouts. All I'm saying is lets be less predictable so that Wilson isn't running for his life seemingly every third down cause everyone and their mom knows we have to pass.

You can bring along a rookie QB and still pass the ball with short safe passes on 1st and/or 2nd down.

I think most people can agree we need to do a better job of mixing up the play calling...similar to how we have such success doing just that in our opening drives (that set of scripted plays that most teams start games with). I wasn't really saying we should continue on this path or necessarily saying I like it, only explaining why it is that we are doing it. Personally, I think a 55% throwing to 45% passing would be a perfect balance for our offense. If our running game wasn't so good, I could see going to 60/40, but that's really as far as the separation needs to go to have a good offense IMO

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
The Radish":3frl3w7l said:

Doub Farrar did some study on this subject years ago and found running backs with more than 250 or so carrys a year tended to have very short NFL careers. Can't think of the kid from Texas with the huge legs that was a monster but lasted a very short time.

And the guy from KC, Christian Okouya? Another killer runner with a very short career.

We need to not run him to death, that's why I'm glad to see we have a good "second option" and/or change of pace back.

It ws 370 carries in a single season that Farrar claimed to be the magic number of when running backs fall off the cliff.

There have been several backs in the NFL that have defied this magic number though so I dont think it is a fact. Eric Dickerson, and LT are two backs that carried over 400 times during seasons and still performed the next years.

manders2600

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2fvncxg2 said:
The Radish":2fvncxg2 said:

It ws 370 carries in a single season that Farrar claimed to be the magic number of when running backs fall off the cliff.

There have been several backs in the NFL that have defied this magic number though so I dont think it is a fact. Eric Dickerson, and LT are two backs that carried over 400 times during seasons and still performed the next years.

Ladanian Tomlinson never carried 400 times in a season, and only carried over 350 time once, in 2002, his second season in the league.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/i ... -tomlinson

http://www.nfl.com/player/ladainiantoml ... 78/profile

Latest posts