Am I the only one that is surprised at our run D?

Snake Plisskin

Reaction score
I know we did a good job in the red zone, but it was shocking to me when on several occasions their RB would break through our D line and there was nothing between him and our goal line but the deep safety. Fortunately we made the tackles, but not before a big gain.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, it's a concern......but I like to look at the whys and wherefores of it.

1. San Fran is a good team. We Seahawks fans don't like to admit it, but it's true.

2. Obviously there were missed assignments and poor gap control. I assume (hope?) that the coaches will be addressing this. That's one of those coachable things they can work on.

3. Fatigue. Everyone wants to cover their ears and holler "Excuse!" but face it. That was their third game in ELEVEN days. First a tough east coast road game, then an emotional game against New England-with, I might add, not a lot of work defending the run, then another road game on Thursday night. The emotional let down after a win like the Pats game is something our young team will have to learn to deal with. Pile it on top of that kind of brutal schedule and its not a surprise to me he had our d!cks put in the dirt.

So, I'm going to file this one under "Games we probably couldn't have won under the best of circumstances." Conditions certainly weren't ideal the other night. The upside here is that they have 10 days until their next game, something to practice and learn from, and a chip on their shoulder to take out against Detroit.

Sure, I'm concerned about our run D, but I couldn't care less how that game affects our position in the rankings. I'll jump on the worry wort bandwagon next time this happens, if ever.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":14poseee said:
MLOhawks":14poseee said:
SF was 'I think' leading the league in rushing offense with 179 yards per game average, I could be wrong though.

oh so i guess we should just accept getting gashed then. I got it.

The alternative would be to address any and all counterpoints with synical responses.

SuperBowlXLChamps

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3db66ur1 said:
SuperBowlXLChamps":3db66ur1 said:
Yes, my head is "in the sand" because I'm not whining and crying about a top 5 defense in nearly every category that just gave up 13 points to one of the best teams in the NFL.

not whining at all. I just expected us to stuff the run better.
I noticed in the last game when the pats ran the ball they were getting good yards as well.
Ridley 16 Carries, 34 yards. 2.1 YPC (Longest run was 6 yards)

Team 26 Carries, 87 yards. 3.3 YPC.

Is that getting "good yards".... Do people like you just make stuff up to complain about?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Shane Falco":2wpu6mpl said:
I am. Their o-line completely dominated us, both in pass and run blocking.

"Dominated" is a strong word considering the D only gave up 13 points.

IMO the 49er game was more a product of;

- short week
- bad gap control by the D line and linebackers on the quick inside runs
- Defense being tired in the 2nd half due to offense stinking up the joint
- 49ers having VERY good guards that pulled out and blocked to perfection on those long runs by Gore

None of this is going to happen against the Lions

JerHawk81

Reaction score
The sf run game was unique, not only in their ol talent, but also in design. Quick dives and traps are tough to stop, and reduce a play to 2 or 3 defenders. That removed the influence of most of our best run stoppers such as wright, red, and kam.

suppaball

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2g3p4c9u said:
VHawk":2g3p4c9u said:
The D got tired.Wr couldnt catch a cold.
bullshit

stop the run. I hate blaming one side for another's shortcomings. Make plays and it doesn't matter what the offense of the defense doesn't or doesn't not do.
We held them to 40 yards UNDER there average. I'd say that is a good job, not great but good.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
A World Peace":j4530a6k said:
Nope. How the hell did gore get like 2 40 yrd gains
I saw several holds that didn't get called, so it seems the Refs were letting both sides get away with crap.

That's one reason why I think Hardbaughhhh is stupid for pissing and moaning about the hardnose physical play of our Corners.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
suppaball":1kafxced said:
Tech Worlds":1kafxced said:
VHawk":1kafxced said:
bullshit

stop the run. I hate blaming one side for another's shortcomings. Make plays and it doesn't matter what the offense of the defense doesn't or doesn't not do.
We held them to 40 yards UNDER there average. I'd say that is a good job, not great but good.

Say what? What stats are you looking at?

S.F. rushed for 175 on us, their average was and still is right around 176. A more accurate statement would be that we held them to their average which is exactly why it's surprising considering we were #3 against the rush going into this game. That is not a good job by any means.

bellingerga

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":20ciyeu3 said:
VHawk":20ciyeu3 said:
bullshit

You're delusional if you think such a skewed time of posession won't have a negative affect on our D.

Our defense has been extraordinary considering how often they've been out on the field all year.