Passing on first down, not running, would better protect RW

seedhawk

Reaction score
2 points. 1) Bates was fired because he either would/could not do what PC directed him to do.
2) We are not protecting Wilson with our offensive philosophy, we are retarding his development.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I think this "run, run, pass" perception is not accurate. I could be wrong but I was under the that impression myself a couple games ago and went and looked at the play-by-play's for 2 or 3 games and it wasn't like that at all. But this is also just my perception, I could be wrong without really going through each game.

I'm still with the people that believe the play-calling is predictable though even with the limitations on the rookie QB.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
A couple of games have allowed Wilson to pass from first down, but others have been pretty rigidly run-run-pass.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
It may be true but I'd still like to see some data to back that up instead of just some fan telling me it's so. Because I was really suprised at the games that I did check.

justafan

Reaction score
Its peoples keep saying that it is run run pass and moan and groan on game day saying its everytime when it does happen but its not true.Its only about 30% of the time.Considering there are only 4 combinations of 1st and 2nd down I think it is mixed up pretty well.
The problem isnt the run run, the problem is the pass part.Picking up 3rd and 4 should be easy.Any QB in the league should be thriving in that situation.This isnt a bash Wilson thread I have stayed out of the whole debate.But he isn't where we need him to be yet.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Justafan, 30% IS practically all the time. You can't run that play hardly ever and expect it to be successful unless you have a really dominant running game. The problem is, running on 1st & 2nd downs and not converting just broadcasts your 3rd-down play to the defense...it should be run like 3% of the time. >.>

Hawks46

Reaction score
With the addition of Moore, I'm actually surprised we don't run more 2 TE sets. Think about it:

Start out the game with an up tempo run game, with a 2 TE set. Get up to the line quickly, so the defense can't subsitute, then using the same personnel package, you run the ball, and then alternate with 1 and both TEs going out into routes. This would keep the defense in a base run package, while getting mismatches with most base LBers on Miller and Moore, or McCoy. All 3 of our TEs can get separation from 80% of the LBers in this league easily.

Sidney Rice can also beat many one on ones, and if Tate can live up to his reputation as being that good in space, I'd like my chances with him on the outside in one on one situations as well. We could also go to a "jumbo package" with Rice and Edwards on the outside.

I'd script the first 15 plays this way, then maybe run another 10 with different personnel packages. It would be extremely difficult to game plan on the defensive side when a team that can run as well as us would come up in a run package set with 2 TEs, then either run or pass out of the same formation, while not allowing the defense to substitute, or sometimes not even get set. It would be a total abberation to the rest of the game, and allow us more freedom throughout the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Right on point. I've always thought this too. It's amazing that brilliant football minds can't figure this out as well.

Our best drive of the year was against STL. Anyone else wonder why Lynch was able to go for 22 and a TD on 1st and 10 run? Well it's because we had passed on 1st down many times earlier on the drive. It was truly a balanced offense. Run Run Pass is not balanced.

justafan

Reaction score
30% is actually a third of the time.Not even close to everytime..from a math standpoint.25% would be an even distribution considering you have 4 combos you can run on 1st and 2nd down.If tendencies are what you are worried about.So Bevell is actually mixing it up pretty well.
I am glad the Rams game was brought up.That first drive we had 5 first down plays and Lynch ran on three of them.Including his 18 yard TD.In that game we we did the run run thing 5 times and got 4 first downs.We should have ran more that game.The reason Lynch made that run was the rams sucked at run D.We were averaging over 6 ypc and lost.We should have steamrolled those f$%#@^^.The rams should have been sitting at home questioning their manhood like Dallas was.
Its not playcalling its execution.