Random Thoughts™ on the 49ers game

A

Anonymous

If it's any consolation, both the Rams and the Cardinals lost as well.

I'll be watching tonite's game closely and so will the Hawks players. I think that having an upcoming opponent play a Monday night game before us is another great way for our players to prepare. Unlike gamefilm and coaching, hearing the announcers and watching the TV coverage is going to be beneficial.

We will beat Detroit.

NorCal

Reaction score
I don't agree that SEA looked like the better team. In the first half, SEA was the better team. But SF was definitely the better team in the second half. It was just a close, physical game. SF made the better second half adjustments.

And I think it is fallacy to assume that had the SEA WRs not dropped those balls, that those possessions would have resulted in TDs.

Looking forward to Dec 23rd. Should be a great game. Hope SEA is still in it then, so SF can crush their dreams and season. Hey, its what rivals wish upon another :)

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
NorCal":3e1gvnu5 said:
I don't agree that SEA looked like the better team. In the first half, SEA was the better team. But SF was definitely the better team in the second half. It was just a close, physical game. SF made the better second half adjustments.

And I think it is fallacy to assume that had the SEA WRs not dropped those balls, that those possessions would have resulted in TDs.

Looking forward to Dec 23rd. Should be a great game. Hope SEA is still in it then, so SF can crush their dreams and season. Hey, its what rivals wish upon another :)

Actually on Turbin and Moore's drops they were likely going for 6 on the run after catch...

VHawk

Reaction score
Can't believe we still have '9er fans trying to validate themselves in this forum.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
NorCal":louf92tv said:

As will we…
In fact I hope you guys are shooting for a home field advantage through the play-offs ahhh…
For the exactly same reason :D

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Great info as always.

After looking at SF losses (and watching a lot of their games) I thought we really did have a good chance of beating them though it would be a tough game either way. The formula (though could be said to be easier said than done sometimes) is to get a little bit of a lead early and make Alex Smith have to beat us rather than them staying even or ahead where they can lean on Gore w/ some Smith easy throws sprinkled in. It does not appear SF is a team that can come from behind for a win, at least at this time in the season.

I felt we were outplaying them in the first 1.5 qtrs minus the drops that were killing us. It really did feel like if we did not have those drops we would have been up a TD or 2 at least and IMOP the game would have followed the line of their minny or NY games. Unfortunately that was not the case and you can not let a good team hang around like that or they will eventually find their rythm. That was the most frustrating part to me that we could have won this game and we "dropsied" it away.

As far as the future of the season, we really made life much tougher for ourselves but it is definately still doable. I personally think we win the next 4 games before probably dropping one to Chicago. We have the 10 days of so to recoup/prep for Det. Minny is going to be tough but at home I think we take them. Jets at home should be ours for the taking. Bye week to prep for the trip to Miami. Going into Chi town is always a bugger esp after just coming back from Miami and late in the season...ick. Also, we seem to do better against good O/bad to moderate D and not so well against good D/bad O.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Navyhawkfan187":x38vibva said:
NorCal":x38vibva said:

Actually on Turbin and Moore's drops they were likely going for 6 on the run after catch...

As much as I hate to agree with NorCal , Turbin doesn't make it in. He would have been pushed out and the way our offense has been performing in the RZ, we probably get three.

To me, the biggest drop was Tate missing the first down catch at the beginning of the second half. I'm not sure we would have even scored on the drive, but it changed the entire momentum and dynamic of the game. I don't think SFO scores a TD if we continue that drive and set the tone for the second half.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I like well thought out , respectful, and articulate posts from opposing fans who have detailed knowledge of their team, 9ers included. They are some of my favorite threads, good debate is great!

As far the miners needing validation, I'm not so sure. They were 13-3 last year and this year they have the inside track to the NFCW crown. That's internal validation. That being said, they have the tougher part of their schedule ahead of them, and any 9er fan would be foolish to think another div championship is a foregone conclusion.

As a niner fan, I too would be scared though....... We are young, close knit, and are getting better every week. Alex Smith has hit his ceiling, RW is just taking his first step up a long staircase.

Starrman44

Reaction score
I disagree with Turbin. I don't think Moore makes it, but I think there is a good chance that Turbin does. I also think that those drops took the Seahawk offense out of rhythm. I expect Seattle's offense to get better and better as teh season goes. As the OLine gels and Russell improves, I think it could be a situation where they are playing way above their ranking by season's end.

As far as Niner fans validating themselves. I do feel like they've come on after the game to chide us about the make up of our team. They still don't get how close we are. Telling us their coach is pretty much clearly better than ours. I will take our coach and GM combination over theirs any day. Draft picks are not like recruits. No need to redshirt them for a year. You can't tell me the Niners couldn't find somebody that could contribute in the slots they picked AJ Jenkins and LaMichael James. Our fan base gets upset if a 4th round pick isn't contributing somewhere.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
VHawk":f5y471bj said:
Navyhawkfan187":f5y471bj said:
I know on the Golden Tate nonPI it led to to get into an argument with Trey Wingo on Twitter when he said "Tate should never complain or ask for a flag because of the Monday Night game." I linked him the cold hard football facts blog breaking it down and he got mad at me and told me I worked at McDonnalds. Fun times.

Yeah man I really am not a fan of this dudes at all.

Really, who the eff is Trey Wingo? Seriously, did this a-hole play the game beyond the high school level? I doubt it. Yo, TV Boy, you're a talking head and you are NOT an expert in football. Ever see a little game called Super Shame.....er, Bowl XL? Where were you after that little fiasco? To sum up eff you and your east coast ESPN bullshit.
Oh, and one other thing....your stage name sucks too. Next time try something cool like "Lifeson".

sam1313

Reaction score
Kearly, I too look forward to reading you post after each game. Was going into some withdrawals this week....

Tough loss. Hardest part for me was watching them have their way with the run game. I really didn't think anyone could do that to this team, and if they hadn't we would have won hands down. I think a lot of it has to do with our rookie MLB, and congrats to SF for having such a great OL and a good game plan/half-time adjustments. I think that is something we can fix, but it was bugging the hell out of me.

Ninerguy

Reaction score
Starrman44":k1g0r3eq said:
As far as Niner fans validating themselves. I do feel like they've come on after the game to chide us about the make up of our team. They still don't get how close we are. Telling us their coach is pretty much clearly better than ours. I will take our coach and GM combination over theirs any day. Draft picks are not like recruits. No need to redshirt them for a year. You can't tell me the Niners couldn't find somebody that could contribute in the slots they picked AJ Jenkins and LaMichael James. Our fan base gets upset if a 4th round pick isn't contributing somewhere.

as to the Coach and GM...You like yours and we love ours...congrats to both franchises!

As to Jenkins and James, really?
Go ahead and look back at the draft and tell me with magical hindsight who you would have drafted...I like that we are developing a fast, agile WR without having to force him out there. And I LOVE having LaMicheal James waiting in the wings, dude was breaking ankles in preseason and we have the luxury of letting him learn the offense without HAVING to have him play right now. James is a game changer and a big part of the future of the Forty Niners.
Heck, we also have a 4th round O-lineman in Looney who is waiting/learning along with last years draft pick at G Kilgore...Our Oline is already pretty good and young and yet we still are drafting a developing lineman for the future...

manders2600

Reaction score
Starrman44":uczz41b9 said:
Draft picks are not like recruits. No need to redshirt them for a year. You can't tell me the Niners couldn't find somebody that could contribute in the slots they picked AJ Jenkins and LaMichael James. Our fan base gets upset if a 4th round pick isn't contributing somewhere.

San Francisco returned all 11 starters on defense, as well as their top backups at CB, MLB, OLB, and DL. Randy Moss and Brandon Jacobs were signed to one-year deals, and Gore is 29, so they brought in a WR and RB with their 1st and 2nd round picks.

There really isn't a position at which any rookie 4th round pick could reasonably be expected to beat out one of San Francisco's active players.

Starrman44

Reaction score
Ninerguy":2kdvasmk said:
Starrman44":2kdvasmk said:

as to the Coach and GM...You like yours and we love ours...congrats to both franchises!

Go ahead and look back at the draft and tell me with magical hindsight who you would have drafted...I like that we are developing a fast, agile WR without having to force him out there. And I LOVE having LaMicheal James waiting in the wings, dude was breaking ankles in preseason and we have the luxury of letting him learn the offense without HAVING to have him play right now. James is a game changer and a big part of the future of the Forty Niners.
Heck, we also have a 4th round O-lineman in Looney who is waiting/learning along with last years draft pick at G Kilgore...Our Oline is already pretty good and young and yet we still are drafting a developing lineman for the future...

My basic premise is showing that we can sit and cast a critical eye on the Niners franchise and make fun of your coach treating it like college. I am admittedly being a bit facetious.

Honestly, in the best interest of our Division, I hope you guys do well. Since we moved into the division it has hardly been super competitive consistently.

I am just tired of some Niner fans coming on here and trying to tell us what we need to do. We are just fine. We are as happy with our team as you all are with yours. If we had won the game I would have tipped my hat and said you guys will be just fine, great organization, great team.

The fact that we have tons of draft picks contributing is a testimony of our scouting and management. We know we are in a great position and look forward to establishing a rivalry with you guys. I'd rather hate the Niners than the Rams or Cards (and that's a compliment).

GeorgeKush

Reaction score
Ninerguy":1ffuj4tz said:
Starrman44":1ffuj4tz said:

if you look at their roster and depth chart, the 49ers really don't have any holes to fill. no player available at their draft picks would have been starting on that team. all the players they picked are stashed for the future most likely.

Ninerguy

Reaction score
Starrman44":3j9iz18w said:
I'd rather hate the Niners than the Rams or Cards (and that's a compliment).

Fair enough...I used to HATE the Rams but living up here in the PNW for the past 20 years and then having the hawks drop into our division and living here with hawk fans, well, I hate the hawks now(and that is a compliment as well) :thirishdrinkers:

BTW, I also love that the NFC West is playing well, even though it makes it harder to win the division I do not miss all the NFC Worst crap we heard for years!

Starrman44

Reaction score
GeorgeKush":3g2nz8tc said:
Ninerguy":3g2nz8tc said:
Starrman44":3g2nz8tc said:

if you look at their roster and depth chart, the 49ers really don't have any holes to fill. no player available at their draft picks would have been starting on that team. all the players they picked are stashed for the future most likely.

Stephen Hill was available. Height, size, and speed. Already with three td's this year.

Mostly my comments stem from a couple Niners fans coming in and letting us know things like our coach and qb are keeping us from winning.

I really don't have a problem with you all stashing folks. Admittedly I breathed a sigh of relief when you guys passed on Hill, though.

manders2600

Reaction score
Starrman44":2azm8bn9 said:
GeorgeKush":2azm8bn9 said:
Ninerguy":2azm8bn9 said:

Stephen Hill was available. Height, size, and speed. Already with three td's this year.

Mostly my comments stem from a couple Niners fans coming in and letting us know things like our coach and qb are keeping us from winning.

I really don't have a problem with you all stashing folks. Admittedly I breathed a sigh of relief when you guys passed on Hill, though.

Hill had really good combine numbers, but he always seemed like a bit of a one-trick-pony to me. Doesn't really have good quickness (as opposed to straight speed), route-running, etc. Potential go-route, jump-ball deep threat, though.

So far this year, he had a monster game in week 1, getting 89 yards on 5 receptions and 2 TD's in the Jets stomping of the Bills. However, since then, he's been pretty quiet.