Detroit

mistaowen

Reaction score
Their offense plays right into what we are good at stopping. Deep, long developing routes. If Stafford can throw 3-4 int games against worse defenses, I don't see why ours wont have a field day. This is one of the few teams Earl should finally have a big effect on. I thought GB would be his coming out party, but they really relied on check downs and 3 step drops. The only concerning part is obviously Calvin Johnson; we haven't faced someone of his skill set since PC took over. I think as long as he is constantly jammed at the line, he shouldn't determine the game. I won't be shocked if he puts up a 100 yard game though, he easily is one of the best receivers in the past 30 years.

I think the thing that should make this a dominate win is Marshawn. When Stafford does get picked, we won't be taking deep shots to give it back quickly. It will be a steady dose of Marshawn against a very bad defense resulting in long drives.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
mistaowen":36agudy8 said:
Their offense plays right into what we are good at stopping. Deep, long developing routes. If Stafford can throw 3-4 int games against worse defenses, I don't see why ours wont have a field day. This is one of the few teams Earl should finally have a big effect on. I thought GB would be his coming out party, but they really relied on check downs and 3 step drops. The only concerning part is obviously Calvin Johnson; we haven't faced someone of his skill set since PC took over. I think as long as he is constantly jammed at the line, he shouldn't determine the game. I won't be shocked if he puts up a 100 yard game though, he easily is one of the best receivers in the past 30 years.

I think the thing that should make this a dominate win is Marshawn. When Stafford does get picked, we won't be taking deep shots to give it back quickly. It will be a steady dose of Marshawn against a very bad defense resulting in long drives.

Great write up my friend.

sa_seahawker

Reaction score
I'm predicting Seattle scores at least 3 FGs, and maybe 1 TD (2 TDs if the defense is really on it). But that TD will come from a big play. Sorry to say it, but the 'Hawks' offense breaks down in the redzone.

NJHawksFan

Reaction score
I don't like our chances. It's a road game. That's all that needs to be said.

Hawk4lyfe

Reaction score
we didnt do that well against Carolina, and their D blows too. And its ten am. i still think we win, but it will be close. something like 20-16

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Man, we got this. We're going to crush them. We break the white jersey/10 AM trend and we beat these punks. You think these guys liked losing to the 9ers? Hell no. This is a no brainer. Hawks win! Hawks win!!

Throwdown

Reaction score
Like I said before, I want Detroit to SUFFER! Its not anything I have against 'em, because I like their team actually. I just want one of those games were we stomp a mud hole into the other teams collective face.

Now I want that, but that doesn't mean it'll happen.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Throwdown":2sbjhxog said:
Like I said before, I want Detroit to SUFFER! Its not anything I have against 'em, because I like their team actually. I just want one of those games were we stomp a mud hole into the other teams collective face.

Now I want that, but that doesn't mean it'll happen.

It's gonna happen.

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
I for one do not want to see anyone but Sherman on Megatron. I don't want to see Browner lined up against him at all. Browner is a bruiser not a cover guy. He won't be able to do that to megatron . I like Sherman's matchup on him better but you still have to try to help with a safety regardless. Lets not forget their interior offensive line is very good if they "want to be". I think if we can keep Calvin Johnson bottled up we win. If we let him loose game over. We haven't faced a receiver like this at all this year. Boys are going to need to bring their A game in the secondary. A missed assignment or breakdown is going to for sure be a big play. Pettigrew is a good target for them also if he isn't dropping passes for a TE. Defense has a lot to worry about but i am confident they can handle it.

uncle fester

Reaction score
They can't run, so hopefully that means Clemons & Irvin get to key on Stafford.

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
uncle fester":1754ww6c said:
They can't run, so hopefully that means Clemons & Irvin get to key on Stafford.

Leshoure has had some solid games since coming back from suspension.

IT3 Duckster

Reaction score
I think that the week eight matchup with the Lions will serve as another of the season's litmus tests. We've faced some of the league's best offenses (Patriots with 445.3 total YPG) and some of the best defenses (Rams with 207.8 passing YPG [No.5]; Cowboys with 285.2 total defense YPG [No. 2]; and last week, 49ers with 272.3 total defense YPG [No.1]). What isn't surprising, then, is that the Lions have 419.6 total offense YPG, good for second in the league. What is surprising is that the Lions have 324 total defense YPG, ninth in the league. This will be one of our more challenging games of the season.

What is needed, then, for victory?

On offense...
We will most mirror our gameplan against the Patriots. Both have strong run defenses (Patriots with 82.7 YPG and Lions with 96.4 YPG), but weak secondaries (Patriots with 288.8 and Lions with 227.6--the fourth worst secondary we've faced thus far). Wilson should have enough time to implement this and let our routes with Rice and Tate develop, as the Lions are tied for eighteenth in the league for sacks. Expect more total yardage and points out of this game.

On defense...
The name of the game is Calvin Johnson, the number one offensive threat on the Lions. Although he has managed respectable numbers in receptions and yards this season, his touchdown numbers are surprising--one. Whether this is more indicative of him or the Lion's coaching schemes, I don't know, but I know it bodes quite well for us--even more so because our secondary possesses the physical attributes to measure well against him. I don't expect Johnson to manage more than fifty yards for the game.

As far as their rushing gameplan--it will be a non-threat, as the Lions just manage a scant 99.8 rushing YPG (No.19)--the fourth worst we've faced thus far. We should expect Bryant and Mebane and Co. to redeem themselves here.

The greatest defensive challenge will be the pass rush. The Lions' offensive line has allowed nine sacks on the year (tied for fifth best in the league with the Cowboys). To reemphasize this point, remember the lack of pass rush we generated in the game against the 49ers and then remember that the 49ers have allowed twenty sacks on the year--third worst in the league. If we are to succeed here, we must emulate our success against the Cowboys.

Overzealous statistical data-dumping aside, this will be quite a challenge for us, but one we'll be able to overcome. I think that a win in Detroit will kick us off on a nice little streak.

chawx

Reaction score
Will this be the first time since Super Bowl XL that we've played at Ford Field?

Edit: used google, found answer. — the seahawks played the first regular season game after SB XL at Ford Field (and won, 9-6) This will be the 2nd time since XL.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Seattle's averaging less than 13 points a game in the road this year. Detroit's offense is good enough to score 14 points on Seattle at their place. I think this will be another disappointing performance.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
I will get to watch them for the first time this year on Monday, so that will be interesting.

Based on looking at their other games and stats we match up well with them.

drdiags

Reaction score
Despite what some think, I see no gimme games left on the schedule. Lions are on the verge of righting their ship. This game will be very tight. I hope for a victory but will be chewing my nails the whole time.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3umskh49 said:
Seattle's averaging less than 13 points a game in the road this year. Detroit's offense is good enough to score 14 points on Seattle at their place. I think this will be another disappointing performance.

Context ... out of those road games, we played a very good Cardinals defense, a very underrated Rams defense, and the best defense in the NFL (SF). Detroit's defense is not even close to any of them.

pehawk

Reaction score
Detroit seems to be a team which lacks poise. I dont think they're mentally "tough" as a unit either. They're schizophrenic. Underachievers. Like Dallas.

Regardless of how bad the Hawks offense plays, ANY opponent has to be mentally tough, poised and “all-in” to withstand the Hawks physical style of play.