why isn't this being talked about.. chop block? first down?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • hey guys.. i was pretty drunk last night and after the initial call i didn't watch the replays.. but what i do remember is where the line ref marked the ball and came running out from the sideline it should have been a first down.. to me it looked like it was a first down on replay as well.. now i know that doesn't mean much since they called a chopblock and we were pretty much screwed either way...

but was that even a chop block? looked to me like he hit him on the hip? at the same time.. i didn't think it was even necessary.. tell me it wasn't giocamini cuz some reason thats what im remembering..
    redhawk253
    NET Rookie

• It was a blown call...but it was really a blown game by the WRs.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• oh i agree there t sizzle.. just wondering if we should have gotten to see a more exciting finish than harbaugh wanting some facetime...
    redhawk253
    NET Rookie

• As many times as I saw it replayed, I don't believe it was a first down.
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran

• It was McQuistan coming over to help Breno. Looked like a chop block to me. Far as the 1st down, it was close, but probably too close to be overturned. Whole situation was weird. Wouldn't expect anything else this season.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Walter Jones tweeted that the block was legal, so I'll go with what he said. ;-)
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• Zebulon Dak wrote:It was McQuistan coming over to help Breno. Looked like a chop block to me. Far as the 1st down, it was close, but probably too close to be overturned. Whole situation was weird. Wouldn't expect anything else this season.

I posted this earlier in another thread, but according to Sando, Mike Pierra, the ex-official who is pretty much the "go-to" guy for officiating questions, the chop block is when the secondary blocker comes in at the thigh level or lower, McQuistans looked to be just below the waist at the hip area, just above the thigh. He said it was a bad call.

I do agree though that it wasn't a first down. Obo was just short of the line when he got hit. Had he stretched out, we'd have had the first down, THEN we could cry about getting screwed by the phantom chop block :)
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Anywhere else on the field, the block would be legal. Only reason they called it a chop block, for lack of a better definition is, McQuistan was NOT engaged until in the end zone. Just another arcane rule. Also, because it was in the end zone, if taken it is a safety instead of half the distance, replay the down.
    seedhawk
    NET Veteran

• Even the announcers last night said it was a bad call. Obo couldn't stretch for the first down because his tackler had him by his right arm, and then 2 other tacklers came in and finished him off. He looked close, but short. He should have been comfortable beyond the first down marker though. As the announcers were saying during the atrocious series at the end of the first half, he needs situational awareness. On 4th down you need to be at a spot to get the 1st down without having to fight for it. He was short and the 49er's made a great play to stop him.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

• McQuistan contacted Smith with his shoulder pads at the waist, but his hands pushed on Smith's thigh and he extended his arms to push Smith to the ground. This is a chop block.
    manders2600
    NET Rookie

• Obo had a chance to stretch initially, once he realized he was short it was too late as the defender did a great job of restricting his arms. My thinking was that Obo was afraid of having the ball stripped and had pulled it into his body prior to making the move to extend.

The chop block was a bad call but the guy on the field thought he saw the hit below the thigh. McQuistan had time to give Smith a shot higher, he was dead to rights. Just part of the game. Refs screw up just like players and coaches.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• manders2600 wrote:McQuistan contacted Smith with his shoulder pads at the waist, but his hands pushed on Smith's thigh and he extended his arms to push Smith to the ground. This is a chop block.

I'm going with Big Walt's interpretation over yours on this one. Sorry.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• onanygivensunday wrote:
    manders2600 wrote:McQuistan contacted Smith with his shoulder pads at the waist, but his hands pushed on Smith's thigh and he extended his arms to push Smith to the ground. This is a chop block.

You're more than welcome to go with anyone's interpretation, but I would recommend actually watching the play instead of listening to what someone else says.

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 3

Article 3: Chop Block. A Chop Block is a block by the offense in which one offensive player (designated as A1 for
    purposes of this rule) blocks a defensive player in the area of the thigh or lower while another offensive player (A2) engages that same defensive player above the waist.
    manders2600
    NET Rookie

• In my opinion the biggest question is why did Obo not go beyond the 1st down marker?

:141847_bnono:
    Ready for another run for the roses.
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• He didn't go beyond the 1st down marker because of Bevel! :thirishdrinkers:
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran

• manders2600 wrote:
    onanygivensunday wrote:
    manders2600 wrote:McQuistan contacted Smith with his shoulder pads at the waist, but his hands pushed on Smith's thigh and he extended his arms to push Smith to the ground. This is a chop block.

You're more than welcome to go with anyone's interpretation, but I would recommend actually watching the play instead of listening to what someone else says.

Article 3: Chop Block. A Chop Block is a block by the offense in which one offensive player (designated as A1 for
    purposes of this rule) blocks a defensive player in the area of the thigh or lower while another offensive player (A2) engages that same defensive player above the waist.

Initial contact was above the waist, it doesn't matter where his hands went.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• manders2600 wrote:McQuistan contacted Smith with his shoulder pads at the waist, but his hands pushed on Smith's thigh and he extended his arms to push Smith to the ground. This is a chop block.

incorrect!
    FargoHawk
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:
    manders2600 wrote:
    onanygivensunday wrote:I'm going with Big Walt's interpretation over yours on this one. Sorry.

Initial contact was above the waist, it doesn't matter where his hands went.

Is there a rule saying that a block only counts where initial contact is made? I don't think so, but I could be wrong.
    manders2600
    NET Rookie

• ensett wrote:He didn't go beyond the 1st down marker because of Bevel! :thirishdrinkers:

Why would you say such an outragous thing? No one tells them exactly where to stop/start. You're being way to simplistic.

"Possession" receivers are always sure to get to the first down marker before turning for the ball. Obo, does not/did not do that. Why catch the frickin ball 2 yards short of a first down when you have defenders all around you?

I weep for 2 things. For those of you that want to but blame on one particular player or coach.

2. For the coaching staff keeping obo and letting Brandon Stokely go.
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• I thought the ball passed the first down marker and the penalty was obviously bad....but I don't think we would have gotten down the field anyways...so it doesn't really bother me.
    Meeker
    NET Starter

• Meeker wrote:I thought the ball passed the first down marker and the penalty was obviously bad....but I don't think we would have gotten down the field anyways...so it doesn't really bother me.

My friend I see your point. But if he had been beyond the marker we wouldn't be having this conversation would we? lol

Course the penalty makes all that moot anyway. And sadly moot points were the only kind we could get last evening.

:les:
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• As far as the chop. It was bullshit. The first down? I was very unhappy with Ben's effort on that. Reach the damn ball out and get the first down. But the B.S. call of a chop ruined the game anyways on what "could" have been a first down if Obo had reached out all the way.
    Kelly.Orr
    NET Starter

• Kelly.Orr wrote:As far as the chop. It was bullshit. The first down? I was very unhappy with Ben's effort on that. Reach the damn ball out and get the first down. But the B.S. call of a chop ruined the game anyways on what "could" have been a first down if Obo had reached out all the way.

He couldn't reach, look how his arm is held be the defender. By the time he has the ball secured in his left hand 2 more defenders had showed up. The problem is that Obo wasn't beyond the first down marker in the first place. He should have been.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

• razor150 wrote:
    Kelly.Orr wrote:As far as the chop. It was bullshit. The first down? I was very unhappy with Ben's effort on that. Reach the damn ball out and get the first down. But the B.S. call of a chop ruined the game anyways on what "could" have been a first down if Obo had reached out all the way.

He couldn't reach, look how his arm is held be the defender. By the time he has the ball secured in his left hand 2 more defenders had showed up. The problem is that Obo wasn't beyond the first down marker in the first place. He should have been.

Yeah i see that but i still think he had time to reach out after the intial defender's hand slips to his waist. It is a small window but i still think he had a chance to reach out a little more than he did. They marked it about 2 inches short with the ruling on the field so idk. Doesn't really matter we lost anyway.
    Kelly.Orr
    NET Starter

• Chop block was a bad call IMHO.

IIRC, Obo was actually bobbling the ball and trying to maintain possession as he went down and couldn't reach out for the line.

And, yes, he should have run the route deeper. :229031_shrug:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:56 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information