Drafting A Receiver Should Be Our #1 Priority Next Year

HawksSoc

Reaction score
The mock site walterfootball.com previously had us taking Robert Woods, WR USC at pick 15, and now has us taking Terrance Williams, WR Baylor at pick 23 (Woods goes to the Sheep at 19), thoughts?

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
I would rather us either sit where we are and draft an OT or trade up for Brandon Coleman from Rutgers if he comes out. Coleman is a 6'6" WR who is fast. Could be the next megatron. I would be willing to risk trading a 1st, 3rd, 4th, and next years 2014 2nd and 3rd for this guy.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Keep your eye on this guy...
[youtube]7Q3UOd9_Tkw[/youtube]

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":2okbh3z0 said:
Keep your eye on this guy...
[youtube]7Q3UOd9_Tkw[/youtube]

Think he may be an amazing #2 or slot guy. Has amazing acceleration and explosiveness and agility. But his top end isn't elite. Like the kid and wouldn't mind having him start opposite of Sidney if we did draft him. I think he would be a better kick returner than Leon also. Be a 2 for 1 upgrade.

Uffda

Reaction score
A sticky-handed WR and TE ( really doesn't matter the size, as long as they can catch reliably), some oline backup and dline backups to be coachable to become starters in the future .

HAWKNUTZ

Reaction score
Slick":olpnnx2t said:
I've asked this question so many times: Would we have been better off with Kellen Winslow Jr. in this game?

I had the same thoughts when watching this game.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
How would we be better with a TE that doesn't practice or pass a physical?

I think the general point of this thread is correct - we need offensive playmakers that fit the system who are better than the generally rag-tag crew of receivers we have now. We definitely need an upgrade over Braylon Edwards and at TE.

At the same time however, we have an offense that is led by a QB in his 6th game in a new system. Even Peyton Manning is having issues adapting to new personnel and a new offensive philosophy. He throws some bad throws and his WRs aren't always on the same page.

Given that, I'd like to see how this team develops over the 16 game season in the system to see where are glaring needs are.

Another issue is that I just don't have the wide angle view on games so the WRs are notoriously difficult to scout. What if they are getting open but Wilson is too slow to react at this point? I can't say as, of course, TV only shows a downfield view or alternate reeceiver once in a while. What I can say is that in the air - I think we acutally have great WRs.

morgulon1

Reaction score
ludakrishna":2vffnhll said:
Slick":2vffnhll said:
I've asked this question so many times: Would we have been better off with Kellen Winslow Jr. in this game?

Yes.

We used to have Stokley (Peyton Manning swears by him) but Carroll and Schneider wanted fast black dudes that cant catch. I'm not impressed with Edwards , just like the other 3-4 teams before we picked him up. I would defeinately say receiver is an issue for Seattle. It is the one position that has been kind of looked over IMO.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Considering our philosophy:

Needs: Big bodied freakish speed WR, RT
Wants: Big bodied freakish TE, RG
Depth/Rotation: DL

Needs: Clems eventual replacement
Wants: Leroy Replacement
Depth: ???

HawkWow

Reaction score
I also advocate the drafting of Woods. We will have to move up, preferrably offering someone in trade (?) but if we have to throw in a pick, I think we are positioned to do so. I've admired Pete's methodology in foregoing the so called "sexy picks" and Woods would fall into such catagory, but this kid is the realo dealo and being as anti-SC as one can get, I don't say that without alot of consideration. He runs routes as well or better than anyone we have on the roster at this time and his upside is huge. Will Bevell get him the ball is the question.

There are a few pieces missing in this badass D, but they can likely be addressed in FA. It's time for Pete, IMO, to bring some teeth to this pedestrian offense. I'm not worried about Wilson (or Flynn), they just need more reps and I am confident can develope into all around QBs. I am worried about the likes of Tate and Obo. Edwards I don't worry about...he's one and done. I'd be for trading Tate and probably keeping Obo (largely for ST). Rice and Woods would be formidable, even stretching the field. With Baldwin in the slot (and anothe FA WR), we could use another high pick in solidifying the line. That would give us (back) Miller as a weapon as well.

I sincerely believe the above puts us deep into the playoffs...if not more. Let's not get too crazy about this year and whether or not we have a QB, etc. This is a process and some of us are getting a bit greedy in demanding pro-bowl results from our Rook. But if he don't finish at .500 or above, we may have to get Flynn the majority of first team looks in 2013. Yes, I know this stymies Wilson's progress, but I also believe the team above should win immediately and consistantly. I know Flynn, if not Wilson, would achieve this.

EDIT: Woods lit it up today with 4 tds, becoming USC's all time leading WR. Poised, humble and spread the props to the rest of his team during post game interview. I'd love to see him opposite Rice. We'd probably have to trade up 6-12 spots. I'd offer our 1st and Tate to get it done.

Uffda

Reaction score
Need a Welker type, but then again who wouldn't.

Obo was been around here enough still unimpressed and Tate ...well could trade him to GB or Dallas those teams fans would love that =) ?

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
morgulon1":wal4qggi said:
ludakrishna":wal4qggi said:
Slick":wal4qggi said:

Yes.

We used to have Stokley (Peyton Manning swears by him) but Carroll and Schneider wanted fast black dudes that cant catch. I'm not impressed with Edwards , just like the other 3-4 teams before we picked him up. I would defeinately say receiver is an issue for Seattle. It is the one position that has been kind of looked over IMO.
Peyton swears by him. Hass made him his go to guy. We let him go. Bad evaluation skills or are our receivers better than we give them credit for?

Atradees

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":3t55m97e said:
I will be in the minority but I'm hoping for a DT or RT.
me three. cant go wrong with a diminate dt or olineman. Never liked the drafting of wideouts. A good qb makes bad receivers better.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of 1st Rd WRs in general. What I'm really not a fan of is setting drfdt priorities in October after a loss. ;)

warden

Reaction score
Slick":1r973m2z said:

31 other teams in the league sure do not be in any hurry to sign Winslow

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1wk75lt9 said:
I will be in the minority but I'm hoping for a DT or RT.
I agree with a OT but I also think Guard is a need, can have all the receivers in the world, if you don't have time to throw it wont matter. However can't deny that they need weapons as well.