Arena Deal thread: UPDATE: DEAL PASSED AND SIGNED OFF!!!

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • Blitzer88 wrote:I have a feeling that the NHL is really drooling over the idea of getting a team in Seattle. I mean a Vancouver/Seattle rivalry would be awesome.

Every word out of Daily or Betmans mouth for the past few years seems to support your theory. They have all but said that there is a plan for Seattle already in place. Even on the topic of QC's new arena Daily said that Quebecwasn't automatically next in line and specifically mentioned Seattle as a front runner.

Shy
    Just remember, football is 80% mental and 40% physical.
    Little Giants (1994) – Steve Emtman
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

• Gringotts look like goblin, Stern, was quoted today saying:

"It would be my hope that within the time frame that you mentioned, five years, that if everything works out perfectly, there would be a new arena and new team in Seattle. That's always for the board of governors, but I know that many governors are favorably inclined."

Full article is Here

5 years?!?! The Hornets are sitting there begging to be bought....
    Elessar
    NET Bench Warmer

• Elessar wrote:Gringotts look like goblin, Stern, was quoted today saying:

"It would be my hope that within the time frame that you mentioned, five years, that if everything works out perfectly, there would be a new arena and new team in Seattle. That's always for the board of governors, but I know that many governors are favorably inclined."

Full article is Here

Tom Benson the saints owner bought them.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:
    Elessar wrote:Gringotts look like goblin, Stern, was quoted today saying:

Full article is Here

Tom Benson the saints owner bought them.

Yeah the horents are a no go now. But I could see the Bucks, Bobcats or Kings being options for us.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Ah, blast. Guess I've missed some things due to deployments...Well let's go Sacramento!
    Elessar
    NET Bench Warmer

• yeah 5 years? What the hell? I want one by next season..
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

• Pstark3 wrote:yeah 5 years? What the hell? I want one by next season..

Well he said WITHIN the next 5 years, it could happen next year or in 2, 3, or 4. Just depends on when Hansen aquires a team, which I believe he's pretty close to or has a backroom deal in place for one. The way he acts about this whole arena thing, the confidence he has, and the way he chooses his words carefully when asked about franchises leads me to believe that he might have one lined up.

Also his whole plan of buying a team to play in Key Arena for 2 years makes believe that as well, the money for Key Arena upgrades and when he buys a team the shovels finally go into the ground? Usually the arena gets built and its a waiting game, I truley believe he has someone lined up, whether its the Bucks or Kings, I haven't got the slightest clue, but I think when it passes County Council again that about a month or two, or five down the road we'll be getting the best news ever that Chris Hansen was approved to purchase an NBA franchise.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5
    BREAKING: Both King County Council & Seattle City Council expected to approve #SeattleArena deal, giving Chris Hansen permission to proceed.
    Retweeted by SC_DougFarrar
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5
    BREAKING: Both King County Council & Seattle City Council expected to approve #SeattleArena deal, giving Chris Hansen permission to proceed.

Oh Yeah!!! :179422:
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• RolandDeschain wrote:Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5

That was breaking?

Thanks for the update. But I had expected that for a month!
    Sarlacc, on comparing .NET to Soccer: And why not? It's a bunch of people running around in circles, feigning pain, and never scoring.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

• http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=1458813

Im sorry but what a bunch of +++hATS and ****bags.
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ

Mike Bullene ‏@12thManM1ke 45m
    @TDESPN Though, you did say the other night you cannot win the SB riding a defense. Even though you are literally the poster child for that. --twittered back at dilfer after he tried to slam hawks fans.
    hawkcrazzed
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• hawkcrazzed wrote:http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=1458813

Im sorry but what a bunch of +++hATS and ****bags.

Wow.......smh.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Not nervous at all
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• So I wonder if the Mariners are pushing and helping with this again behind the front men.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Um I'd wager a guess nad say YES! Howard Lincoln IS that stupid!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Final votes are today at 1:30, they're saying its going to pass. LETS GOOOOO
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• It'll pass and push forward in spite of the suit, but that is truly a jackass move.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:It'll pass and push forward in spite of the suit, but that is truly a jackass move.

Really is, but the EIS is involved before construction even begins, I don't see how this case even becomes an issue honestly. But then again, I know NOTHING about law.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• I'm just wondering if the Mariners put as much energy and money into building a winning team as they are trying to block the Arena they would never have attendence issues in the first place to worry about the competition.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:I'm just wondering if the Mariners put as much energy and money into building a winning team as they are trying to block the Arena they would never have attendence issues in the first place to worry about the competition.

Why would they want to do that? I mean, think of all the traffic congestion in the SoDo area if the had that kind of attendance!
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Essex J. Porter ‏@EssexKIRO7
    .@kccouncil members Reagan Dunn Larry Phillips and Peter Von Reichbauer change from “no” to “yes” to make vote unanimous #SeattleArena
    Retweeted by KIRO 7

So there's that.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Essex J. Porter ‏@EssexKIRO7
    .@kccouncil members Reagan Dunn Larry Phillips and Peter Von Reichbauer change from “no” to “yes” to make vote unanimous #SeattleArena
    Retweeted by KIRO 7

So there's that.

Lincoln's checks must not have cleared.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Retweeted by KIRO 7

So there's that.

Sweet!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• SeatownJay wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Retweeted by KIRO 7

So there's that.

Lincoln's checks must not have cleared.

No, they didn't. Scheduling, traffic and parking challenges driving to the bank. You know how it is.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• As ya'll now know, the deal is signed, sealed, and now waiting for what team we steal away... VICTORY!!! Don't worry about the stupid lawsuit from the port guys. They'll be slapped away like flies. All environmental reviews will be rubber stamped through, and we'll be home free. Our only worry now is finding teams.

It's kinda funny going back to page one when I started this thread, and ALL the UPS and DOWNS! We go from all excited to the frickin' deal's dead quite a few times. Dori Monson (KIRO FM Seattle, 12-3PM) is completely convinced that there is already a handshake deal for a team in place waiting for today's events. We'll find out if Dori is right pretty quick now. I still think it's gonna be the Kings. Time will tell. I think the Maloof's are in for a big-ass payday! JMHO.

I am now dreaming of the first "SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-PER-SONICS!!!!! to bellow thoughout the new arena for the first game back, with Kevin Calabro and his "MAGIC CARPET RIDE" once again hitting Seattle airways! WHOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!! *goosebumps!*

May you Rest In Peace Les, my friend...
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• Yes!

It's a good day to be a Seattle sportsfan.
    As for the port, they are simply doing the Mariner's bidding.

I wouldnt be surprised when its getting close to getting an NBA team, an NHL team comes knocking fast and beats the NBA back here. All the NHL has to do is get insurances the arena WILL be getting built. Just one guys opinion.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• An NHL team may come even if there isn't insurance an arena will get built. The Coyotes would be better off financially moving immediately and playing in Key Arena or the Tacoma Dome than they would be by staying in Phoenix, and I am not exaggerating. It's a mess. Hansen could probably pick the team up for pennies on the dollar and move them the day the NHL allows it to take place and have one occupant ready to roll from day 1 of arena completion.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• Oilers Arena deal fell through today, so they are another possibility to move to Seattle.
    GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!
    Wiseguy
    NET Rookie

• Wiseguy wrote:Oilers Arena deal fell through today, so they are another possibility to move to Seattle.

I still just don't see that happening. That would be like, well, the Sonics leaving Seattle... :cussing:

BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• Wiseguy wrote:Oilers Arena deal fell through today, so they are another possibility to move to Seattle.
    GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!
    Wiseguy
    NET Rookie

• BlueThunder wrote:
    Wiseguy wrote:Oilers Arena deal fell through today, so they are another possibility to move to Seattle.

I still just don't see that happening. That would be like, well, the Sonics leaving Seattle... :cussing:

Yea, I'd be perty turn up about that. Even as an Avs fan, I'd hate to see the Oilers get dicked over like that. That part of Canada is full-blown hockey crazy - I know; I've been there. They live, breathe, eat, sleep, and die hockey. And the Oilers are such a storied franchise.

If not an expansion team, better a lackluster, middle-of-the-road, little supported team like one in the sun belt that's struggling than the Oilers. I want a team in Seattle, but just not like that if I can help it.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• I'd be sick if the Oilers moved. I think there should be a "hands-off" policy on Canadian teams. Any team below the 45th should be the first to move. Teams along the southern US border shouldn't have been so quick to move to those cities, regardless of how fast those cities were growing. There are a lot of snowbirds from Canada that own homes in Phoenix and Miami areas, but you can't depend on part time residents as a fan base. It just doesn't work.

The Angels have tried to market themselves to tourists, thinking that folks will come to Disneyland and also go to an Angels game. It hasn't happened, so now they are trying to move into LA itself. It is the same sort of issue. You can't depend on visitors to fill your seats. You need a strong consistent day-to-day fan base. I think Seattle would have one built in for hockey.

Hockey isn't all that popular here in Utah, but when we had a AAA team, we drew almost as much as a lot of NHL teams. It was a good team, in a good league, and there is a large enough base of people here to support a team. Plus we have a "cold season" so hockey makes a lot of sense. Plus people here need something to do.

Seattle fans have shown they will consistently support a decent team. Not a crappy one, but a decent one and above. Look what the Sounders have done. The M's think their attendance is down because the Sounders FC came along. What a joke. The M's would still be filling the place. The problem for the M's is that they suck, and the Sounders are consistently in the top 3 or 4 teams in the league and win trophies (multiple open cups in a row).

There are PLENTY of fans to fill the seats of a hockey, basketball, baseball, and football teams in Seattle. Here in Utah we fill the seats of the Jazz (around 20,000 a game for 82 games), Real Salt Lake (over 16,000 per game for about 20 games), 3 minor league baseball teams (2 rookie league, 1 triple A), 5 division 1 basketball teams (all within an hour and a half driving distance north and south), and 3 Division 1 Football teams (BYU seats 65,000... U of Utah seats about 60,000, and Utah State about 40,000) and a lower level hockey team. We don't have nearly the population base that the Seattle/Tacoma area has.

There will be no problem. The M's just want to be able to continue to spend little and get a huge return. To get butts in the seats, you need a better product, and competition is bad if you don't want to try. Thus their blatant whining about the whole thing. It's obvious they don't want to invest in the product.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• Anyone want to tell me where this NBA expansion talk is coming from? adding one team in Seattle would uneven things, wouldn't they have to add another city to the mix? Kansas city? Vancouver?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:Anyone want to tell me where this NBA expansion talk is coming from? adding one team in Seattle would uneven things, wouldn't they have to add another city to the mix? Kansas city? Vancouver?

It's just speculation. I don't think you are forced to add 2 teams, though it's ideal, but I still think expansion is very unlikely. The NFL had 31 teams when the Browns were brought back and didn't get even again until the Texans were put in place 3 years later. The NBA could see Seattle as the perfect place for an expansion, as a city that ideally would have never lost its team, give them an expansion, and just plan on an undecided future expansion to even things out at some point soon. Looking at the number of teams positioned to relocate and the number of cities that want a team, it is possible. Chances are most of the "candidates" for relocation won't relocate, so we'll see.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• Throwdown wrote:Anyone want to tell me where this NBA expansion talk is coming from? adding one team in Seattle would uneven things, wouldn't they have to add another city to the mix? Kansas city? Vancouver?

Came from David Stern himself. A reporter asked him about the likelihood of an expansion in several years, and he said one would fit the Seattle arenas time frame perfectly. Of course, I don't want to have to wait another 4-5 years for one when we can get one soon and have them play in the dome or Key until the arena is finished.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• so... whens the ground breaking :P

Seriously though. lets get the Team part done fast. I'm missing the Sonics.
    tubbs51
    NET Starter

• the islanders are going to be playing in the barclays centre in brooklyn as of 2016, cross em off the list
    soohawk
    NET Veteran

• Bucks and Grizzlies as far as NBA teams seem to be out of it too. As they are about to re-up their arena leases.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Stern just announced that he will be stepping down as commish after the 2014 NBA season. If anything that should say that we could get a team by at least 2014.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• I saw that, crazy we knew it was close but damn next season? Best thing for Sonics fans IMO is it'll be sterns right hand man Adam Silver taking over.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Yup... for those of you that missed it...

"Ballmer’s group has been trying to get the Maloof family to sell the Sacramento Kings, so that the franchise can eventually play in a new arena in Seattle.

From the league office, pressure on the Maloofs to sell has been growing, sources said – just as hopes for a new Sacramento arena have been fading. Seattle Sonics fans will never forgive Stern for his complicit role in Clay Bennett’s deception to move that franchise to Oklahoma City, but make no mistake: Stern desperately wants to return the NBA to one of its great markets and wants it for his own measure of vindication before he leaves office."

And there ya go...

Things are getting real my friends...
    I think Dori Monson had it right... This was the deal all along, but no one was allowed to say shit. I think the Maloofs held off to see how the city and county voted for the new Arena. At least that's the way I read it. And now Stern has buddy'd up with the Seattle ownership group, mainly Balmer, and is actively involved in pressuring the Maloofs to sell. God, I knew it! This is gonna happen sooner than later man... I just feel it!!! YES!!!

BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

• I feel terrible for fans in Sacramento, they are getting screwed by all this

David Stern needs to die, and I'm not kidding about that
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• Sacramento stole them from Omaha who had them stolen by Kansas City. That franchise has always been a mess. The NBA has been a mess since Stern took over. The league has grown a lot, but the league itself is a mess with the ridiculous amount of franchise movement and cash cows that have been expansion teams that were then given more cash to the league to move the team again (see the Grizzlies and Hornets for 2 prime examples).
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• All I know is, the kings better not trade Tyreke Evans before they move here!!!!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Kings are on their fourth city already
    and all of this is (or will be) out in the open
    I won't feel bad WHEN this happens
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

• Anyone else seeing these rumors of Phil Jackson being involved with the Hansen/Ballmer group?

If thats true, then mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:Anyone else seeing these rumors of Phil Jackson being involved with the Hansen/Ballmer group?

If thats true, then mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

BACK OFF LAKERS! YOU HAD YOUR SHOT!
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

• If Jackson end up being the coach of the "new" sonics i will literally...... be so excited....

I almost put something else there instead of Excited but this aint the shack so...

Awesome.
    tubbs51
    NET Starter

• I don't think it would be as a coach. He left the lakers because of health, maybe if he was to be involved in basketball activities it probably would be team president
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:23 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information