Close to being a completely different game.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
manders2600":3gaw47v5 said:
Hollandhawk":3gaw47v5 said:
Alex Smith's interception also came on a 3rd down after a helmet-to-helmet hit on the backup QB that was not called, but would have resulted in a first-and goal inside the 5 yard line.

Wut? He was running the ball. We call helmet to helmet on running plays now?

Leading with the crown of the helmet, or "spearing" while making no attempt to "wrap up" is most definitely a personal foul. You could also make the argument that at the point the defender lowered his head, the backup QB was "defenseless", as he was being taken to the ground from behind.

Either way, there were a large number of non-calls that went in Seattle's favor without that play.

The point being that this was close to being a completely different game if Seattle's receivers catch every ball thrown their way, just as it was close to being a completely different game if the refs had made every call.

You really want a flag for helmet to helmet there? At that point he is treated as a runner.

May I suggest tennis for you from here on out, madame? The game has been neutered enough as it is. Stop mollycoddling it.

manders2600

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":2kfdw12x said:
manders2600":2kfdw12x said:
Hollandhawk":2kfdw12x said:
Wut? He was running the ball. We call helmet to helmet on running plays now?

Leading with the crown of the helmet, or "spearing" while making no attempt to "wrap up" is most definitely a personal foul. You could also make the argument that at the point the defender lowered his head, the backup QB was "defenseless", as he was being taken to the ground from behind.

Either way, there were a large number of non-calls that went in Seattle's favor without that play.

The point being that this was close to being a completely different game if Seattle's receivers catch every ball thrown their way, just as it was close to being a completely different game if the refs had made every call.

You really want a flag for helmet to helmet there? At that point he is treated as a runner.

May I suggest tennis for you from here on out, madame? The game has been neutered enough as it is. Stop mollycoddling it.

He is certainly treated as a runner, but both "spearing" and helmet-to-helmet on a defenseless player are valid penalties in that situation, and typically get called.

Anyway, the point was not that I "wanted" that particular penalty, but to illustrate, in general, that Seattle ended up getting quite a few lucky breaks with the officiating, and that to simply say, "We would have won except for a few drops" is silly.

camdawg

Reaction score
manders2600":1qk0qxhf said:

This is where Pierre Thomas would like to point out the hypocrisy of the 49er Nation. Had Donte Whitner not made a helmet to helmet hit on Thomas to save a touchdown and force a turnover, you lose to the Saints in the divisional round last year.

What's that? The NFL called that hit legal? Okay...please explain to me what that play should NOT have been flagged, but the one in last night's game SHOULD have been flagged.

Just like it's fine to complain to the league about us, but bush league when the Giants do it about you. ;)

manders2600

Reaction score
camdawg":14knv10z said:
manders2600":14knv10z said:

This is where Pierre Thomas would like to point out the hypocrisy of the 49er Nation. Had Donte Whitner not made a helmet to helmet hit on Thomas to save a touchdown and force a turnover, you lose to the Saints in the divisional round last year.

What's that? The NFL called that hit legal? Okay...please explain to me what that play should NOT have been flagged, but the one in last night's game SHOULD have been flagged.

Just like it's fine to complain to the league about us, but bush league when the Giants do it about you. ;)

1. Though their helmets did make contact, Donte Whitner was leading with his shoulder, not "spearing"
2. Pierre Thomas was not defenseless, he was running in the open field and lowering his helmet to hit Whitner

morgulon1

Reaction score
dsquid":4vy503mb said:
manders2600":4vy503mb said:
Of course, if any of the PI or holding non-calls are made, or the face-mask on Alex Smith, all of which went in the Seahawks' favor, it could be a completely different game in the other direction. The same could be said if San Francisco doesn't essentially give up a possession by running three straight times to force Seattle to burn their time-outs.

Just saying . . .

The effect of any of those plays seem a lot less stark than a drop at the 5 yard line or a key first down pickup that puts us in FG range.

It's also hard to substantiate the effect of a hot start by a rookie QB being squandered and the loss of momentum that occurred. The Seahawks were dominating the first half and had way too little to show for it.

Nicely put. I got it the first post though.haha ....

Those drops, besides taking points off the board, they have to be demoralizing. You cannot do that against the 9ers at their house. I do feel encouraged that we've closed the gap but we have nothing to show for it.

VHawk

Reaction score
You 9'er hoes are as bad as Packer bitches,you think you are entitled to every call on the field.Just shut up already!The fact you are nit picking every call or missed call shows you are worried we are a more physical team.Dont be SCURRED!!

morgulon1

Reaction score
I really really dislike the 9ers. I dont really even have a 2nd team that can come close to the dislike I have for san franfaggo

manders2600

Reaction score
VHawk":2aqpmsuy said:
You 9'er hoes are as bad as Packer bitches,you think you are entitled to every call on the field.Just shut up already!The fact you are nit picking every call or missed call shows you are worried we are a more physical team.Dont be SCURRED!!
Yep. Super worried, after last night, that Seattle has a more physical team. :roll:
:sarcasm_off:

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
manders2600":3dw2kqza said:
VHawk":3dw2kqza said:
Yep. Super worried, after last night, that Seattle has a more physical team. :roll:
:sarcasm_off:

Why are you here?

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
The Radish":40w88shl said:
NinerDawg":40w88shl said:
Smith's interception was all Smith......

Very much like Wilson's was all Wilson. Into triple coverage and high arced letting the defense get there before the receiver.

:les:

Was pretty much a punt anyways. So it didn't cost us to much.

HawkWow

Reaction score
manders2600":3rphpikm said:
Of course, if any of the PI or holding non-calls are made, or the face-mask on Alex Smith, all of which went in the Seahawks' favor, it could be a completely different game in the other direction. The same could be said if San Francisco doesn't essentially give up a possession by running three straight times to force Seattle to burn their time-outs.

Just saying . . .

Fair and balanced perspective. I went into this game thinking we would likely be victimized by questionable calls. I was pleasantly surprized. Two games in a row I felt the officials gave us breaks. The non-called PI on Browner against Branch the week before could have been devastating. Throw in Tate's "big catch" against GB, and I think lady luck, as ugly as she can be, has been on our sides so far this year.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
manders2600":181j20h2 said:
He is certainly treated as a runner, but both "spearing" and helmet-to-helmet on a defenseless player are valid penalties in that situation, and typically get called.

Anyway, the point was not that I "wanted" that particular penalty, but to illustrate, in general, that Seattle ended up getting quite a few lucky breaks with the officiating, and that to simply say, "We would have won except for a few drops" is silly.
Go back and watch it again. At the very last instant, the runner turned his body. Had he not done that, the tackler would not have connected with his helmet. The refs made the correct call.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
manders2600":3g9yt0tu said:
...and that to simply say, "We would have won except for a few drops" is silly.
True that. And there were several missed calls that benefited the Seahawks. And the final score was closer than it could have been.

Although, one or two completions instead of drops I believe would have changed the complexion of the game. However it would have played out after that is anybody's guess.