Close to being a completely different game.

dsquid

Reaction score
The "Game of Inches" cliche contains more than an ounce of truth. Turn half of those drops into catches, and the Hawks maintain drives and score more points. Between the Turbin and Moore drops, we probably lost at least 7.
One of the Tate drops probably cost us at least a FG.

This leads to the Niners feeling pressure to pass more to keep up - and we probably don't see them leaning on that powerful run game in the second half.

I still feel great about this team. The offense is probably a year behind where it needs to be, but it can continue to grow and we should be very competitive in our next few games before the BYE. Get healthy, and make a little run here and we're looking at 7-3 at the break. Sign me up.

manders2600

Reaction score
Of course, if any of the PI or holding non-calls are made, or the face-mask on Alex Smith, all of which went in the Seahawks' favor, it could be a completely different game in the other direction. The same could be said if San Francisco doesn't essentially give up a possession by running three straight times to force Seattle to burn their time-outs.

Just saying . . .

Starrman44

Reaction score
Maybe he is referring to the 4 year plan that has been talked about here. We are in year 3. I don't know, that's how I perceived it.

OP
OP
dsquid

dsquid

Reaction score
manders2600":20r6i4bg said:
Of course, if any of the PI or holding non-calls are made, or the face-mask on Alex Smith, all of which went in the Seahawks' favor, it could be a completely different game in the other direction. The same could be said if San Francisco doesn't essentially give up a possession by running three straight times to force Seattle to burn their time-outs.

Just saying . . .

The effect of any of those plays seem a lot less stark than a drop at the 5 yard line or a key first down pickup that puts us in FG range.

It's also hard to substantiate the effect of a hot start by a rookie QB being squandered and the loss of momentum that occurred. The Seahawks were dominating the first half and had way too little to show for it.

manders2600

Reaction score
dsquid":2piqs0qa said:
manders2600":2piqs0qa said:

Just saying . . .

The effect of any of those plays seem a lot less stark than a drop at the 5 yard line or a key first down pickup that puts us in FG range.

It's also hard to substantiate the effect of a hot start by a rookie QB being squandered and the loss of momentum that occurred. The Seahawks were dominating the first half and had way too little to show for it.

Well, a large number of those non-called PI and defensive holds would have given San Francisco 1st downs within field goal range, and if I'm not mistaken, the same would have been the case with the facemask penalty on a 3rd down (though I could be wrong about that one).

Alex Smith's interception also came on a 3rd down after a helmet-to-helmet hit on the backup QB that was not called, but would have resulted in a first-and goal inside the 5 yard line.

manders2600

Reaction score
VHawk":1ze3gyy7 said:
NinerDawg":1ze3gyy7 said:
I agree. Seahawks got away with a alot last night.

LMFAO! :pukeface:

It was the mugging of San Francisco's receivers by Seattle's corners that made those corners easier to block, and less capable of supporting the LB's in the running and short passing game during the second half. When runs and short passes go for big gains, it usually means that the secondary is getting blocked, which is what happened. This was the major adjustment made by San Francisco at the half.

Schadie001

Reaction score
Our LBers sucked tonight and were being manhandled on virtually every running play. When 4 guys are able to block 7, sometimes 8 when Cam came down, it's pretty pathetic.

Dren

Reaction score
Both teams got away with quite a bit last night. I don't believe blaming the loss on a call here or a call there. Last night 49ers were the better team so we should just leave it at that and look forward to the next game.

Largent80

Reaction score
To me, the turning point of the game was when they screwed up at mid field and lined up incorrectly after we had a 3 and out. That gave us a new set of downs that we promptly ran 3 more plays and punted. They got the ball and drove down the field for a td.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
Alex Smith's interception also came on a 3rd down after a helmet-to-helmet hit on the backup QB that was not called, but would have resulted in a first-and goal inside the 5 yard line.

Wut? He was running the ball. We call helmet to helmet on running plays now?

canucklhead

Reaction score
dsquid":3m84rx2x said:
manders2600":3m84rx2x said:

Just saying . . .

The Clemons non facemask call could have been a killer.

chiltech500

Reaction score
Our LBers sucked tonight and were being manhandled on virtually every running play. When 4 guys are able to block 7, sometimes 8 when Cam came down, it's pretty pathetic.

I'm not entirely sure about that comment, but that O line for the 49'rs didn't fare so well against the Giants. Am I wrong or did it take us quite a while to get to Brady who often looked like he had all the time in the world?

I have been underwhelmed by our pass rush the last couple games.

canucklhead

Reaction score
SF won the game on 1 drive. Obviously Gore and the quick hit run were major contributors but just as major was the flaw SF repeatedly capitalized on for the entire drive. The Seahawks disregarded the middle of the field, with their LBers being nowhere to be found. Smith threw atleast 3 check downs to Gore for first downs where there wasn't a soul near him, and caught Crabtree on a cross wide open for another. After that drive the Hawks made the adjustment, but that one drive was enough to win the ballgame.

The Radish

Reaction score
NinerDawg":2ugyollj said:
Smith's interception was all Smith......

Very much like Wilson's was all Wilson. Into triple coverage and high arced letting the defense get there before the receiver.

:les:

manders2600

Reaction score
Hollandhawk":25mfk6bo said:

Wut? He was running the ball. We call helmet to helmet on running plays now?

Leading with the crown of the helmet, or "spearing" while making no attempt to "wrap up" is most definitely a personal foul. You could also make the argument that at the point the defender lowered his head, the backup QB was "defenseless", as he was being taken to the ground from behind.

Either way, there were a large number of non-calls that went in Seattle's favor without that play.

The point being that this was close to being a completely different game if Seattle's receivers catch every ball thrown their way, just as it was close to being a completely different game if the refs had made every call.