Niners fan here: things i noticed last night

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    mistaowen wrote:
    Where were you last week complaining about RW? Maybe he looked great because our WR actually made plays, not dropping 5 or 6 passes in an offense that doesn't want to pass the ball if we don't have to. If those catches are made in the first half last night, we REALISTICALLY have a big lead going into halftime and RW is around 200 yards at that point.

I was here last week. I was the one who said while Wilson's final stats looked good, he still was poor for the entire 2nd and 3rd quarters. It took some major breakdowns on the Pat's horrible defensive backfield for us to pull out the win.

What was the difference between last week and this? SF has good DB's that knocked down or intercepted Wilson's downfield passes. The Pat's DB's couldn't do that, resulting all those awesome long passes completed.

What was also similar between this week and last? Wilson still having a hard time reading defenses and making accurate throws short and intermediate.

Not arguing the difference between 49ers and Pats defenses. 49ers will stay in the top 5 all season. But he made the plays in the first half and we went away from it. Like I said before, blame the playcalling for not trying to get short/intermediate routes involved more. I like us opening up the long ball with playaction, but it needs more consistency in the short game. Rice should dominate in that area but only gets 3-4 passes per game. He easily has the best hands on our team but seems to only get his number called on weird downs. Christ, Desean Jackson is getting 12+ targets a game.

And IIRC he only had one ball knocked down which was into a tight window and the int was a poor decision. On the replay you can see what he wanted to do, but he threw it way too far inside. It should have been up along the sideline and away from the safety help so that if BE didn't catch it, it was out of bounds. I'm sure the pass rusher hitting him made him throw it quicker than he wanted, but it was still a bad throw regardless.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• SalishHawkFan wrote:
    Carhanu21 wrote:In my original post, I said Russell Wilson is garbage RIGHT NOW. I then said i wasnt sure what he will be in the future. Every time people criticize Wilson, people get angry and use the "he is only a rookie" defense. We all understand that Wilson is a rookie and has a chance to improve in the future. In the salary-capped NFL with guys like Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, and RGII succeeding as rookies, the only thing that matters is what can you accomplish RIGHT NOW...or at least over the course of the current season.

It doesnt matter what Wilson will be 3 years from now. He may not even be on the team 3 years from now. Or the team might be really bad due to injuries and salary cap. You never know what will happen in future years. All you can do is focus on winning right now with what you have.

Also, its not even guaranteed that guys will get better in future years. Sometimes, they dont improve at all or even get worse (see Cam Newton in his second year).

It's a complete waste of time to try to explain LOGIC to the Wilson fanboyz. They are in complete kneejerk defensive mode the moment they hear any criticism at all. Anyone who doesn't wear rose colored glasses is a "hater". I know, people around here actually put me on the ignore list because I think it was a bad idea to start a rookie and spend a whole year letting him learn when THIS year we have a Super Bowl worthy defense and an elite rushing attack.

Who knows when Marshawn Lynch will wear down, what the salary cap will do to the defense, what injuries we may get plagued with in the future? All we know is Wilson is playing like a rookie - yes, we all GET THAT - but THAT'S THE PROBLEM. Flynn has shown in his only two starts that he's beyond that phase of QB development. Is Flynn elite? Who knows? Probably not or Wilson wouldn't have taken his job. But he's better than TJack and so far this season, Wilson hasn't been.

Yesterdays game, however, isn't Wilson's fault. Too many dropped passes. But until Wilson proves he can see the short field and make short and intermediate passes, he's not going to succeed in the NFL. Period.

It's not so much that I am a Russell Wilson fanboy, as it is that I trust our coaching staff more than a Monday morning (or in this case Friday morning) GM. You guys are all so hell bent on Flynn being the answer. I'm saying, we've not been getting blown out, we've won more often than we've lost, and the largest margin of defeat is only 7 points. That is enough for me to continue doing what we're doing and to keep trusting in our coaching staff, who has brought in almost every single player we have on our roster. Let them coach. I find it hilarious that if it's so obvious that Flynn would dominate for us, that our coaching staff would somehow miss that. Seriously? But I'm a ridiculous RW fanboy because I trust our coaches to make those decisions. Whatever...
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

• Nope, that is not what I am saying. I am saying it is RARE for them to be wide open in the NFL. Obviously it does happen since defensive players are humans, but more often than not they will be in pretty good coverage. What passes yesterday were dropped that weren't put into their hands? How is that inaccurate? All of them were 'drops.' I agreed above his int was a bad throw, but the replays show what he saw and wanted to do with it.

And I can make many, many other comparisons of receivers making plays with solid coverage who aren't perrenial pro bowlers. Watch any football game who doesn't have Alex Smith throwing 2 yard passes everytime and get back to me if receivers are mostly covered.

The throws to Turbin, Braylon, Tate, and Moore were all perfect passes, which you said, put the ball where the receiver can catch it. Braylon's endzone pass was up and away from Willis who was under him in coverage while away from the over the top safety....the definition of a perfect throw to let your receiver make a play on it. Review the plays and have legitimate examples, not just rash knee-jerk statements.

And to make receivers get open, that is much more on their route running and scheming set up by the offensive coordinator. I have always been jealous of the offense the Saints run. They have maybe one second tier WR in Colston but run such a perfectly set up passing offense. Making players get out of their zones and away from man coverage isn't RW's job, but from what we have seen, he does a good job trying to throw them open. That is the #1 thing that I personally thought won him the starting job.

*** Edited, apparently he deleted his post lol
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:

What was the difference between last week and this? SF has good DB's that knocked down or intercepted Wilson's downfield passes. The Pat's DB's couldn't do that, resulting all those awesome long passes completed.

I must have been drinking to much I didn't see all those batted down balls. I saw one int that my son could have picked off (he is 4) and then I saw a bunch of passes in pretty tight coverage right where the receivers could catch the ball.

Really the funny thing about it to me is breaking it down. For those that didn't like Wilson yesterday.

Did he play a good first half or was that poor as well?

Separately second half coming in to the last drive the TV showed RW passing 0 - 4!!!! Please please tell me that a QB having four pass attempts in a ONE HALF of a game after playing a stellar first half isn't making you determine if he is good or bad. How is that possible especially when the first or second one of those is a 3rd down throw hitting the WR right smack in the hands for a first down and amazingly enough is DROPPED!!!

If he was 5/25 or 5/15 in the second half I would see the argument that he was BAD in the second half regardless of the first half.......

You know who also sucked in the second half. The kicker was horrific. He was freaking pathethic in the second half he went 0 for 0 in that half coming up with a combined ZERO points in the second half. FIRE HIM.....
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

I must have been drinking to much I didn't see all those batted down balls. I saw one int that my son could have picked off (he is 4) and then I saw a bunch of passes in pretty tight coverage right where the receivers could catch the ball.

I guess you were drinking, especially right before halftime when instead of running out the clock Wilson threw three straight deep balls that were all knocked down. Instead we punted and the defense had to stop SF from getting a FG.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• volsunghawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:
    Why on earth do people think that somehow Seattle's rebuild is totally complete and finished with the exception of the QB position?

No team is "totally rebuilt." We just happen to have a team that's ready to compete for a Superbowl, if not for poor QB and passing offense play. So that's what everyone's complaining about.

I guess it comes down to who's wiling to wait 2-3 more years to see if Wilson improves, and who wants to win now. Personally I don't want to wait because we have all the other parts in place.

This part, I do not believe is true, frankly. I think this team has a strong shot at the playoffs, sure, and anything can happen there. But there are issues with the WR corps, with the health and cohesiveness of the O-line, with the QB position, with the TE position, and the pass rush still disappears at times. That's a lot more that needs to be addressed other than "poor QB play" and claiming otherwise is just unrealistic.

This part, on the other hand, is completely ridiculous. We've seen Wilson improve over the course of a handful of games so far, yet you're saying that we have to be willing to wait 2-3 years. Holy hell, people like you aren't even willing to give him 8 damned GAMES to show improvement, and you ignore it when he does.

Thank you! Some people should take up watching a new sport that doesn't require so much critical thinking.
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

• Carhanu21 wrote:1. Alex Smith is, always has been, and always will be garbage.

2. Russell Wilson is garbage right now. Not sure what he will become in the future. He has alot of good qualities. However, his short height looks like it might be a problem. He may have problems with seeing the field and finding open receivers, especially the short routes. He seems to be good at the long passes because its easier to see down the field with longer routes.

3. Seahawks and Niners are competing for the title of Worst Wide Receiver Corps in the NFL. Before last night, i thought Niners had a stranglehold on that title going back several years. Looks like the Seahawks are trying to overtake them this year.

4. Gore is a solid back but the real credit goes to the Niners offensive line. Those guys monsters in the run game. Especially Staley, Iupati, and Davs.

5. Really impressed with the Seahawks secondary. Sherman, Browner, Chancellor and Thomas are probly the best secondary group in the league. They completely shut down the Niners receivers and tight ends.

6. I am very impressed with Marshawn Lynch. That guy is probly the scariest RB in the league right now. He's probly the only guy that is capable of being productive regardless of how well the O-Line plays. Most RB's are dependent on their O-Line to open holes.

7. Looks like the Niners may have exposed a weakness in the Seahawks defense. Just pound the ball down the gut and run straight at them. I dont think the Seahawks were prepared for that. The Seahawks defense has tons of speed and can cover the sidelines very well. But that speed doesnt help as much against bruising, downhill running games like the Niners have.

8. I dont think either of these teams will go very far in the playoffs, if they make the playoffs. The offenses are just way too flawed.

I am really not worried about the weakness you think was exposed.Niners put up 13 points.If every team wants to take that blueprint and try to beat us I will be ecstatic.No team has a line that can play that physical and run that varied of a blocking scheme like the Niners do.They are a very talented and physical but they are also very well coached Oline.No team will do that to us the rest of the year but if they do the Hawks will score more than 13 and win 9 outta 10 times IMO.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

• FlyingGreg wrote:
    Carhanu21 wrote:1. Alex Smith is, always has been, and always will be garbage.

2. Russell Wilson is garbage right now. Not sure what he will become in the future. He has alot of good qualities. However, his short height looks like it might be a problem. He may have problems with seeing the field and finding open receivers, especially the short routes. He seems to be good at the long passes because its easier to see down the field with longer routes.

3. Seahawks and Niners are competing for the title of Worst Wide Receiver Corps in the NFL. Before last night, i thought Niners had a stranglehold on that title going back several years. Looks like the Seahawks are trying to overtake them this year.

4. Gore is a solid back but the real credit goes to the Niners offensive line. Those guys monsters in the run game. Especially Staley, Iupati, and Davs.

5. Really impressed with the Seahawks secondary. Sherman, Browner, Chancellor and Thomas are probly the best secondary group in the league. They completely shut down the Niners receivers and tight ends.

6. I am very impressed with Marshawn Lynch. That guy is probly the scariest RB in the league right now. He's probly the only guy that is capable of being productive regardless of how well the O-Line plays. Most RB's are dependent on their O-Line to open holes.

7. Looks like the Niners may have exposed a weakness in the Seahawks defense. Just pound the ball down the gut and run straight at them. I dont think the Seahawks were prepared for that. The Seahawks defense has tons of speed and can cover the sidelines very well. But that speed doesnt help as much against bruising, downhill running games like the Niners have.

8. I dont think either of these teams will go very far in the playoffs, if they make the playoffs. The offenses are just way too flawed.

I had hope for this post until I read "Russell Wilson is garbage".

Garbage? Really?

Ignorant.

He said Garbage right now. For a rookie, he is playing solid. But not great. Luck, RGIII and playing better as rookies.

This implies there is room for improvement
    Young2Rice
    NET Rookie

• Did anyone else notice Braylon Edwards quitting on his route during the interception. IMO the ball wouldn't of been intercepted if Edwards didn't quit on his route. Wilson was throwing the pass to where he expected Edwards to be but instead Braylon just slowed down at the end of his route.
    SeahawkFrost
    NET Rookie

• Wow, I think some of you are overreacting. I agree with the Niner fan, Russell Wilson is garbage "right now."

Meaning that game. That INT was horrible! It was on 2nd down and Rice was open, it's not like there wasn any desperation at the point in the game.

Then in the end zone he wouldn't let the ball go! End of game, no time outs, very little time, throw the damn ball downfield! That out to Sidney for 6 yards was ridiculous! Then he got sacked.

Russell is also not sensing the pressure very well. I don't know if it was the game plan to stay in the pocket but I doubt it was. He should have been rolling out on almost every play to get away from "The Smith Brothers"

Russell had an off night and completely missed some golden opportunities most of the game while looking deep downfield and I think that's the problem with his medium game, he's just not looking. Then when he needs to toss it downfield, he's looking medium or holding the ball.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Carhanu21 wrote:1. Alex Smith is, always has been, and always will be garbage.

RW garbage?? lol, stupid statement. You cant call ANY rookie garbage after 7 games of his NFL career. Dont be dumb. Lets atleast give him a full year, maybe two. His recievers dropped passes that hit them in the numbers. They catch those, its a different ball game. wilson has gotten better each game. Not always in the stats, but in his decisions, poise etc.

could you imagine lynch behind the sf line??

i mostly agree with the other stuff. If last nights game was in seattle, we would have won it. i expected to lose in sf this year, was bummer we kinda gave the game away by making the mistakes we did. but sf made some good adjustments and we could adjust. you didnt find some chink in the armor. we were just wore out and couldnt make the adjustments. good coaching move on sf's part.
    "Beast mode was engaged, and when beast mode is engaged, no one can stop him"-- Some skins fan
    "I envy that hard hitting Seahawks D. Love the attitude they play with." Justblaze2729 Denver Fan
    Hawk4lyfe
    NET Rookie

• nsport wrote:OMG. The OP had so many good things to say, but the seething sucking chest wound of the loss gives everyone the justification to only say the "Wilson is garbage" point as the only thing worth noting. The remainder of the post is actually a pretty good launching point for a lot of discussion. You are right, OP - both teams are flawed offensively - had the O been clicking and not dropping passes, Seattle stands a great chance of winning last night. They didn't - they are not good enough to overcome mistakes on the road. Wilson may have had some to do with it - but clearly not the root cause for the loss.

Oh - and as far as big boy panties goes - I ask most of the egregious responders to a single item in a fairly decent OP to put theirs on. Ridiculous and embarrassing Seahawks fans.

grow a spine and defend your team. your the embarrassment. You cant start off with a statement like that and expect people to take you very serious. He admitted it was an overstatement. And its more than that. You cant put a grade on a ROOKIE QBs career after 7 games. its assanine
    "Beast mode was engaged, and when beast mode is engaged, no one can stop him"-- Some skins fan
    "I envy that hard hitting Seahawks D. Love the attitude they play with." Justblaze2729 Denver Fan
    Hawk4lyfe
    NET Rookie

• Who the hell cares what a 49er fan thinks about anything?...I sure the hell don't.

It matters nothing on a day after a loss, just move on to Detroit, lets win it.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:
    This part, on the other hand, is completely ridiculous. We've seen Wilson improve over the course of a handful of games so far, yet you're saying that we have to be willing to wait 2-3 years. Holy hell, people like you aren't even willing to give him 8 damned GAMES to show improvement, and you ignore it when he does.

122 yards with a 38.7 passer rating is improving?

Sorry, but I stand by the fact that Carroll screwed up the QB battle. Flynn should have been named the starter, and Wilson should have done what 3rd round QB picks do, which is sit, learn the system and league, then in a year or two they're ready to hit the ground running with no dumbing down of the playbook or conservative game planning because he might screw up.

.......and I will stand by this opinion until Wilson can proficiently and consistently move this offense. So far it hasn't happened consistently enough, even in his "good" games.

lol, your one of those guys. someone that just looks at stats. you think maybe if those 5 paasses are caught the game looks different?? Oh, and they played a top 3 defense....

your not even worth discussing things with...
    Hawk4lyfe
    NET Rookie

Great post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Sorry about all the negative replies, we're a bit sensitive here due to having a few of our own being the worst Wilson critics.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    KARAVARUS wrote:Sgt - I'm aware Flynn will be brought up while our offense is down, but that doesn't mean he should be. I'm opening the door for you to say it. Do you think we're over the hump if we make a change at QB? Do you think everything we need to get there is already on our roster.

I think there was a correct conventional way to deal with our QB "competition".........and Carroll mishandled it.

Flynn is the more experienced QB that we paid good money to get. He may not be as dynamic, or have the bigger upside than Wilson. But for what we need, which is a QB that can manage games, go through progressions quickly and accurately and read defenses....Flynn is the better of the two RIGHT NOW.

There was no reason to rush Wilson along with this kind of team. We have a competent QB on the roster. What was wrong with finding out if Flynn could play first before going to Wilson? Now we're suffering through rookie growing pains for no reason other than Carroll's ego.

Flynn had TWO games! with an elite wr core against a bad seconday. SMH.

You cant possibly know that Flynn is better RIGHT NOW as you said. Flynn has less game time than wilson. And our coaches get paid millions to evaluate during the preseason and they are gonna play who they think gives us the best chance to win. you dont watch practices, sit in meetings, so dont pretend you know things the coaches dont...
    Hawk4lyfe
    NET Rookie

• JSeahawks wrote:

Great post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Sorry about all the negative replies, we're a bit sensitive here due to having a few of our own being the worst Wilson critics.

:13: :th2thumbs:
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:

I agree with the majority of it, but I just can't agree with Wilson being garbage. It's not like we are trying out Jimmy Clausen. We have seen RW gradually improve. He is showing the same problems Drew Brees did in his first few seasons, except he is improving faster than Brees did. He won't have a season like Andy Dalton had last year, because the way our team is built he wont have to throw 40 passes a game. I had Andy Dalton on my fantasy team last year, so I did pay attention to his games, and even though they had a pretty solid defense, he had to throw it often. I've said it a few times, if RW breaks 300 yards passing in any game this year I will be shocked. Our defense won't ever put our offense in a spot to need to put up 14 points quickly, and I can say that with confidence since we have faced 4 pro bowl QBs and it hasn't happened.

Also, both of our teams are built to go far in the playoffs. Him saying that both of us aren't is very confusing especially since they were an overtime game away from the superbowl, with ALEX SMITH. We both are the Jets profile from a few years ago with offenses that RELY on running and have quarterbacks that are best served (at this point) as managers. I would bet money on both the 49ers and Seahawks winning playoff games at this point purely from a defensive stance.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• mistaowen wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Great post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Sorry about all the negative replies, we're a bit sensitive here due to having a few of our own being the worst Wilson critics.

I agree with the majority of it, but I just can't agree with Wilson being garbage. It's not like we are trying out Jimmy Clausen. We have seen RW gradually improve. He is showing the same problems Drew Brees did in his first few seasons, except he is improving faster than Brees did. He won't have a season like Andy Dalton had last yr, because the way our team is built he wont have to throw 40 passes a game. I had Andy Dalton on my fantasy team last year, so I did pay attention to his games, and even though they had a pretty solid defense, he had to throw it often. I've said it a few times, if RW breaks 300 yards passing in any game this year I will be shocked. Our defense won't ever put our offense in a spot to need to put up 14 points quickly, and I can say that with confidence since we have faced 4 pro bowl QBs and it hasn't happened.

Also, both of our teams are built to go far in the playoffs. Him saying that both of us aren't is very confusing especially since they were an overtime game away from the superbowl, with ALEX SMITH. We both are the Jets profile from a few years ago with offenses that RELY on running and have quarterbacks that are best served (at this point) as managers. I would bet money on both the 49ers and Seahawks winning playoff games at this point purely from a defensive stance.

Well yea, I dont agree with him either but just because we have a different opinion doesnt mean we need to bash the guy as several in this thread were. It was a well thought out post and wasnt flaming, i appreciate that whether I agree with it or not.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• I'm with you, trust me lol a very honest post that makes more sense than most of the threads started on here. I didn't even want to post about it because he points out the flaws of Alex Smith, so he clearly is a fan of football, not just 49ers fan. I just didn't like the 'garbage' comment.

The nature of the posts lately is very negative so it was nice to see a different fans opinion.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• In my original post, I said Russell Wilson is garbage RIGHT NOW. I then said i wasnt sure what he will be in the future. Every time people criticize Wilson, people get angry and use the "he is only a rookie" defense. We all understand that Wilson is a rookie and has a chance to improve in the future. In the salary-capped NFL with guys like Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, and RGII succeeding as rookies, the only thing that matters is what can you accomplish RIGHT NOW...or at least over the course of the current season.

It doesnt matter what Wilson will be 3 years from now. He may not even be on the team 3 years from now. Or the team might be really bad due to injuries and salary cap. You never know what will happen in future years. All you can do is focus on winning right now with what you have.

Also, its not even guaranteed that guys will get better in future years. Sometimes, they dont improve at all or even get worse (see Cam Newton in his second year).[/quote]

Yeah i guess i see why you think like that i mean it took what 8 or 9 seasons for Alex Smith to max out his ceiling lol. GG by you guys last night but to say Wilson is garbage i don't think has a place in that post at all.
    Kelly.Orr
    NET Starter

• Thanks for chiming in here. Let me tell you guys that contrary to popular belief ... there ARE actually 49ers fans out there who are intelligent and who don't jack cars for a living (I'm sure this guy only does that on the side). :P Seriously though, my best friend is a 49ers fan. Our friendship goes back to the days of Montana and Rice and when the Seahawks were in the AFC West, so we've never thought of ourselves as being true rivals. That said, here is my .02 (which will undoubtedly be the exact same comments I have for my friend later on) ...

You betcha. My 49ers friend LOVES to defend Alex Smith and I always tell him the exact same thing. Alex Smith AT BEST is an accurate passer who is a game manager. But, if you put pressure on him ... or if you need him to actually WIN a game for you -- he'll choke.

Absolutely wrong on that one. As has been mentioned many times by myself and others, he had the biggest offensive line in all of college football last season (they averaged 6'6") ... and even IF you're 6'6" yourself - you don't throw through the back of an offensive lineman's head, you throw through lanes. He completed 72.8% of his passes last season (including going 19 for 25 [76% Comp Rate] for 276 yards and 2 TD's vs. the Oregon Ducks in the Rose Bowl. That's a very impressive feat against the Nation's #4 Defense) -- and several of those were on shorter to intermediate routes. So to me, the issue of Wilson's height is much ado about nothing. From what I saw, much of the blame for Seattle's ineptitude on Thursday had to do with Seattle's receivers not stepping up and the Offensive Line's inability to keep from getting pushed back and to create passing lanes. For me, that last play was like a microcosm of the entire game and the issues the Hawks have had in pass protection. If I remember correctly, the Niners only rushed 3 and I was watching lineman getting steamrolled and plowed back. I was like -- What the heck is going on here? If I'm John Schneider, I'm putting major resources in to scouting offensive line and receiving draft prospects because these groups need big time improvement from what I can see.

You'd be hard pressed to find a Seahawk fan who doesn't agree with that assessment. The Giants were able to put up the kind of numbers they did because they have quick, big, physical WR's across the board. The Seahawks -- outside of Rice and really Miller - not so much. As far as the Niners are concerned, Crabtree's never truly scared me so to me, Davis is their only true threat. I'd agree with that.

Gore is solid for sure ... but he's able to do what he does and to put up the kind of numbers he has BECAUSE of his offensive line. I said to myself back in 2010 when the 49ers took Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati in the draft -- watch out for these guys in a couple of years. Unfortunately, I was right. The offensive line is the strength of this 49ers team and the real reason that they are able to put up the kind of numbers that they have on the ground.

I've said it many times before -- this Seahawks secondary might just be the best in the NFL. And I'm not the only one who thinks that. Brandon Browner, Earl Thomas, and Kam Chancellor all went to the Pro Bowl last year ... and Richard Sherman might just be the best CB in the NFL right now. They're an amazingly impressive group for sure.

I would have to agree. He runs with such anger and relentless drive -- it's scary. If Lynch was running behind San Francisco's Offense Line ... I fully believe that Shaun Alexander's single season rushing records would be in jeopardy.

You wouldn't have thought that if you seen this group play the previous 6 games. Brandon Mebane was drawing comparisons to Cortez Kennedy ... and Red Bryant and Alan Branch were like boulders in the middle of the stream, as opposing RB's weren't finding much in terms of running lanes up the middle at all. Mebane had been in the opposition's backfield upon hearing the word, "hike" as he'd basically been unblockable. I don't know what happened on Thursday because this defense has certainly been bruising.

Of all that happened Thursday, getting gashed like that in the running game was undoubtedly what was most disappointing to me. Our defensive line got pushed back for the first time all year long really. Now the 49ers Offensive Line is really good ... but so is Seattle's Defensive Line. What drove me crazy was seeing that trap play work to near perfection against us. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but those trap plays looked basically identical to the ones that Holmgren ran when he was in Seattle. Perhaps I'm asking too much, but you'd think guys like Leroy Hill and Marcus Trufant would be saying to themselves, "this looks familiar." It should -- because you guys used to have it run against you in practice all the time. The 49ers did to us what we used to do to other teams all the time -- use our own aggressiveness against us. For a team that is highly aggressive and likes to pressure the QB as much as Seattle does ... those and screens can be extremely effective weapons if they're executed properly. And San Francisco most definitely did with that trap play. Virtually nothing I saw from the Niners in terms of offensive scheme was all that innovative. On too many occasions they simply used the Seahawks aggressiveness against them ... and watched the running lanes for Gore open up. I'd be highly surprised if we see a repeat performance of that when the 49ers come to Seattle.

I don't know that I agree with that. I've seen some funny things throughout the years. In many ways, it's all about getting IN the playoffs that counts. Strange things can happen to teams once the post-season begins. Seattle I do believe CAN and WILL still make the Post-season ... but more than likely it'll be as a Wild Card. Being 0-3 in the division might be too deep of a hole to climb out of, but again, a lot of things can happen in 9 weeks -- including to the offenses of both these teams. There are so many ebbs and flows throughout a season. Teams might start out playing great and then peter out (like the Cardinals look like they're about to do) ... while others start off slow and catch fire later on (like the Packers). It is possible for both these offenses to improve over the next 9 weeks. Whether or not they actually will remains to be seen.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• Dude makes some sense. I just want the Seahawks to win the SB so bad.
    Brockhawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• I have not read any posts other than the original post but I will. This should be a very interesting topic and i can't wait to read the rest of it.
    But I wanted to give the original poster my first take on his coments.

You're right.
    It pains me to say that. especially to the point of Wilson being garbage.
    But as a whole, that was a great post and you, sir, are correct on almost everything you said. thanks for sharing your thoughts here.
    You have represented your fellow fans well and we appreciate that.
    Omahawk
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:12 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information