Niners fan here: things i noticed last night

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Wilson's play was actually eerily comparable to Smith's last night. Spectacular ball placement on several throws, but not all of them. Each with a forehead-slapping interception. Still overcoming issues of hesitation. Doesn't like to step up in the pocket when D-line can get interior pressure. Not being helped by receivers.

Wilson, however, has as many games under his belt as Smith has seasons.

SeaChase

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2xul98nv said:
KARAVARUS":2xul98nv said:
I suppose Matt Flynn is going to be brought up next? If not, then the discussion is pointless because there's no one else on our team. If so, I'm out, because you're on something illegal.

Flynn is always going to be brought up as long as our passing offense is terrible. Get used to it.

Exactly! Wilson has one good game against a terrible D and hes the QB of the future lol. Then reality slaps you in the face and excuses kick back in. The O-line did pretty good last night, and a few of those droped balls were covered very well. When you throw to a covered reciever that happens sometimes, recievers shouldnt be forced to fight for the ball on ever play.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1s0meky9 said:
KARAVARUS":1s0meky9 said:
Sgt - I'm aware Flynn will be brought up while our offense is down, but that doesn't mean he should be. I'm opening the door for you to say it. Do you think we're over the hump if we make a change at QB? Do you think everything we need to get there is already on our roster.

I think there was a correct conventional way to deal with our QB "competition".........and Carroll mishandled it.

Flynn is the more experienced QB that we paid good money to get. He may not be as dynamic, or have the bigger upside than Wilson. But for what we need, which is a QB that can manage games, go through progressions quickly and accurately and read defenses....Flynn is the better of the two RIGHT NOW.

There was no reason to rush Wilson along with this kind of team. We have a competent QB on the roster. What was wrong with finding out if Flynn could play first before going to Wilson? Now we're suffering through rookie growing pains for no reason other than Carroll's ego.

FLYNN PLAYED TWO GAMES IN HIS CAREER AND WAS A BACK UP BEFORE THAT. WILSON PLAYED MUCH MORE THAN FLYNN IN COLLEGE. WHAT 'EXPERIENCE' DID FLYNN HAVE ON HIM THAN 2 STARTS? I don't care who he was the backup for, or what preparations he did every week in the NFL, it doesn't mean he is deserving of starting. The money argument doesn't matter because we are paying RW nothing as our starter, while Flynn is barely getting starting QB pay. Just because he got a contract doesn't mean 'he should be correctly given the starting job.' Why aren't there tons of quarterbacks in the NFL starting who sat behind Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Eli, etc. The only thing Flynn supporters have to stand on is 'what ifs,' and he threw that shot away by playing ultra, ultra conservative in preseason. I could say if Josh Portis was starting we would be 6-0 because he would be playing lights out, but it doesn't matter, because we wont ever know.

Where were you last week complaining about RW? Maybe he looked great because our WR actually made plays, not dropping 5 or 6 passes in an offense that doesn't want to pass the ball if we don't have to. If those catches are made in the first half last night, we REALISTICALLY have a big lead going into halftime and RW is around 200 yards at that point. I said it during the game, it should not have been a 6-3 ballgame at halftime, we were dominating every aspect of the game. Then, we went into a shell focusing on just running the ball and he was 1-5 going into the final drive, one of which was a dropped first down on third down by Tate into their territory. I guess you assume Flynn would have made a better throw to Tate that instead of hitting him in the hands, would have stuck into his helmet.

We haven't been 'suffering' with him since the week 1 game where he looked like a rookie. He took huge strides in the Carolina game, won the game for us against New England, and dominated the first half while getting no help from the receivers. Blame the playcalling in the second half if you are upset with his statistics. I can't name too many quarterbacks who would put up huge numbers with 5 attempts.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
SeaChase":s59furul said:
Sgt. Largent":s59furul said:
KARAVARUS":s59furul said:
I suppose Matt Flynn is going to be brought up next? If not, then the discussion is pointless because there's no one else on our team. If so, I'm out, because you're on something illegal.

Flynn is always going to be brought up as long as our passing offense is terrible. Get used to it.

Exactly! Wilson has one good game against a terrible D and hes the QB of the future lol. Then reality slaps you in the face and excuses kick back in. The O-line did pretty good last night, and a few of those droped balls were covered very well. When you throw to a covered reciever that happens sometimes, recievers shouldnt be forced to fight for the ball on ever play.

Speaking of slaps in the face, I'm slapping mine trying to believe if I just read this right. He was already viewed as a more viable option for QBOTF by our coaching staff, which has proven to be pretty good at evaluating talent. I know you will all say, "Yeah, on the defensive side" but it's not true. Our offense has talent. Besides, if Flynn is your guy, they went out and got him too, so the not able to find talent on offense is neutralized.

I think you are forgetting our biggest margin of loss is only 7 points. That's one score, last i checked. Yes, we owe the defense for keeping us in games, but that's what a team is. We are not getting beaten by a lot regularly, and we very easily could be undefeated. IA few things have gone the other way, but I honestly don't think those things rest at the feet of Russell Wilson. And those balls to covered WR's??? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Those were thrown PERFECTLY and the defender didn't even get a finger on it. They were just dropped. The Edwards pass in the EZ was pretty good too, just back luck BE brought it down on the defender's helmet.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Carhanu21":36xjvmm0 said:
In my original post, I said Russell Wilson is garbage RIGHT NOW. I then said i wasnt sure what he will be in the future. Every time people criticize Wilson, people get angry and use the "he is only a rookie" defense. We all understand that Wilson is a rookie and has a chance to improve in the future. In the salary-capped NFL with guys like Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, and RGII succeeding as rookies, the only thing that matters is what can you accomplish RIGHT NOW...or at least over the course of the current season.

It doesnt matter what Wilson will be 3 years from now. He may not even be on the team 3 years from now. Or the team might be really bad due to injuries and salary cap. You never know what will happen in future years. All you can do is focus on winning right now with what you have.

Also, its not even guaranteed that guys will get better in future years. Sometimes, they dont improve at all or even get worse (see Cam Newton in his second year).
It's a complete waste of time to try to explain LOGIC to the Wilson fanboyz. They are in complete kneejerk defensive mode the moment they hear any criticism at all. Anyone who doesn't wear rose colored glasses is a "hater". I know, people around here actually put me on the ignore list because I think it was a bad idea to start a rookie and spend a whole year letting him learn when THIS year we have a Super Bowl worthy defense and an elite rushing attack.

Who knows when Marshawn Lynch will wear down, what the salary cap will do to the defense, what injuries we may get plagued with in the future? All we know is Wilson is playing like a rookie - yes, we all GET THAT - but THAT'S THE PROBLEM. Flynn has shown in his only two starts that he's beyond that phase of QB development. Is Flynn elite? Who knows? Probably not or Wilson wouldn't have taken his job. But he's better than TJack and so far this season, Wilson hasn't been.

Yesterdays game, however, isn't Wilson's fault. Too many dropped passes. But until Wilson proves he can see the short field and make short and intermediate passes, he's not going to succeed in the NFL. Period.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mistaowen":1vji9f9d said:
Where were you last week complaining about RW? Maybe he looked great because our WR actually made plays, not dropping 5 or 6 passes in an offense that doesn't want to pass the ball if we don't have to. If those catches are made in the first half last night, we REALISTICALLY have a big lead going into halftime and RW is around 200 yards at that point.

I was here last week. I was the one who said while Wilson's final stats looked good, he still was poor for the entire 2nd and 3rd quarters. It took some major breakdowns on the Pat's horrible defensive backfield for us to pull out the win.

What was the difference between last week and this? SF has good DB's that knocked down or intercepted Wilson's downfield passes. The Pat's DB's couldn't do that, resulting all those awesome long passes completed.

What was also similar between this week and last? Wilson still having a hard time reading defenses and making accurate throws short and intermediate.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2thn7hm8 said:

Flynn is the more experienced QB
that we paid good money to get.

Flynn has 2 career starts and Wilson has 7 fwiw.

mistaowen

Reaction score
SeaChase":sh6p3m47 said:
Sgt. Largent":sh6p3m47 said:
KARAVARUS":sh6p3m47 said:

Get out of here. Now you are just arguing for the sake of arguing because you like Flynn. Turbin, Tate, Moore, and Marshawn all had very easy catches. Braylon's was tough and if Willis didn't have his helmet directly under the ball would have been a touchdown. That couldn't have been a more perfectly thrown ball; up and away from Willis who was under and to the other side of the safety who was over top.

And receivers always are forced to fight for the ball, they are being covered by the best defensive players in the world, so that is a bunch of garbage as well. How many times during the Brady/Moss season did Brady lob it up into double coverage for Moss to make a play? How many of Brees's throws are backshoulder while the defender is completely blanketing the receiver? What do you call all the 50 yard bombs Stafford threw to Calvin Johnson in good coverage? The window is much, much smaller in the NFL than college, it isn't going to be wide open crossing routes and 500 yard games every week. If that's what you want to see, go watch arena football before it gets shut down.

SeaChase

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2lx9dwei said:
Carhanu21":2lx9dwei said:
In my original post, I said Russell Wilson is garbage RIGHT NOW. I then said i wasnt sure what he will be in the future. Every time people criticize Wilson, people get angry and use the "he is only a rookie" defense. We all understand that Wilson is a rookie and has a chance to improve in the future. In the salary-capped NFL with guys like Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, and RGII succeeding as rookies, the only thing that matters is what can you accomplish RIGHT NOW...or at least over the course of the current season.

It doesnt matter what Wilson will be 3 years from now. He may not even be on the team 3 years from now. Or the team might be really bad due to injuries and salary cap. You never know what will happen in future years. All you can do is focus on winning right now with what you have.

Also, its not even guaranteed that guys will get better in future years. Sometimes, they dont improve at all or even get worse (see Cam Newton in his second year).

It's a complete waste of time to try to explain LOGIC to the Wilson fanboyz. They are in complete kneejerk defensive mode the moment they hear any criticism at all. Anyone who doesn't wear rose colored glasses is a "hater". I know, people around here actually put me on the ignore list because I think it was a bad idea to start a rookie and spend a whole year letting him learn when THIS year we have a Super Bowl worthy defense and an elite rushing attack.

Who knows when Marshawn Lynch will wear down, what the salary cap will do to the defense, what injuries we may get plagued with in the future? All we know is Wilson is playing like a rookie - yes, we all GET THAT - but THAT'S THE PROBLEM. Flynn has shown in his only two starts that he's beyond that phase of QB development. Is Flynn elite? Who knows? Probably not or Wilson wouldn't have taken his job. But he's better than TJack and so far this season, Wilson hasn't been.

Yesterdays game, however, isn't Wilson's fault. Too many dropped passes. But until Wilson proves he can see the short field and make short and intermediate passes, he's not going to succeed in the NFL. Period.

^^This
Im not saying Wilson will never succeed, but I think Now is the time to win and starting a rookie wasnt the best choice now.

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":27qzdte9 said:
Sgt. Largent":27qzdte9 said:
volsunghawk":27qzdte9 said:
Why on earth do people think that somehow Seattle's rebuild is totally complete and finished with the exception of the QB position?

No team is "totally rebuilt." We just happen to have a team that's ready to compete for a Superbowl, if not for poor QB and passing offense play. So that's what everyone's complaining about.

I guess it comes down to who's wiling to wait 2-3 more years to see if Wilson improves, and who wants to win now. Personally I don't want to wait because we have all the other parts in place.
Compete for the Superbowl? What are you smoking? This team is 10-6 maybe 11-5 AT BEST. We are at the level of possible wildcard. Superbowl? what a steaming load of doo.

1. WR corps needs a serious upgrade
2. RG needs a serious upgrade
3. We need a good cover corner for slot receivers

And this is just off the top of my head.

For me, RG is ok. It's Giacomini that needs to go. While he has been better the last two games, I still see him as undisciplined.

In regards to the nickel corner, Walter Thurmond III is due back soon, IIRC next week? He will represent a serious upgrade to the Nickel defense, IMO. Remember he was the replacement for Trufant originally outside, before he got hurt and Sherman became a star.

The OL needs depth, we need another mid-level T that can step in and play on both sides. Moffitt is fine, or McQuistan, either are acceptable. Iupati would have been a hell of a get, IMO, and I am jealous that the 9ers got him instead.

Also remember in regards to the qb position and its unorthodox handling- PC&JS have not built this team in any phase the "conventional" way. The defense is built from the back forward. The corners and SS are ridiculously sized for their spots. Other than Okung and Carpenter (who IMO was a failure of a pick) the line is built essentially from spare parts. We do not have the 1st round pedigree of the 9ers in our OL, and yet, the are effective and productive. Can it be improved? Of course, but with the ingredients at hand, we should not be quite so critical.

That said, I do not understand the vitriol for the plan that PC&JS have for RW. It's unconventional. It's kinda our thing. Get with the program.

Thirdly, we all are looking towards the draft at this point with one eye towards WR, and the pressure will be for us to select the top choice available. We aren't getting Calvin Johnson part deux, so get rid of that idea. We will be drafting late enough in the draft that it will be more likely a selection along the OL or DL, and our WRs selection will come in the 2nd or 3rd rd, possibly later. Remember that PC&JS have a plan, and we are not quite 75% there.

I'd say for ~75% we are in pretty damn good shape.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":25gy2bl9 said:
mistaowen":25gy2bl9 said:
Where were you last week complaining about RW? Maybe he looked great because our WR actually made plays, not dropping 5 or 6 passes in an offense that doesn't want to pass the ball if we don't have to. If those catches are made in the first half last night, we REALISTICALLY have a big lead going into halftime and RW is around 200 yards at that point.

I was here last week. I was the one who said while Wilson's final stats looked good, he still was poor for the entire 2nd and 3rd quarters. It took some major breakdowns on the Pat's horrible defensive backfield for us to pull out the win.

What was the difference between last week and this? SF has good DB's that knocked down or intercepted Wilson's downfield passes. The Pat's DB's couldn't do that, resulting all those awesome long passes completed.

What was also similar between this week and last? Wilson still having a hard time reading defenses and making accurate throws short and intermediate.

Not arguing the difference between 49ers and Pats defenses. 49ers will stay in the top 5 all season. But he made the plays in the first half and we went away from it. Like I said before, blame the playcalling for not trying to get short/intermediate routes involved more. I like us opening up the long ball with playaction, but it needs more consistency in the short game. Rice should dominate in that area but only gets 3-4 passes per game. He easily has the best hands on our team but seems to only get his number called on weird downs. Christ, Desean Jackson is getting 12+ targets a game.

And IIRC he only had one ball knocked down which was into a tight window and the int was a poor decision. On the replay you can see what he wanted to do, but he threw it way too far inside. It should have been up along the sideline and away from the safety help so that if BE didn't catch it, it was out of bounds. I'm sure the pass rusher hitting him made him throw it quicker than he wanted, but it was still a bad throw regardless.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":qa5zo5el said:
Carhanu21":qa5zo5el said:

It's not so much that I am a Russell Wilson fanboy, as it is that I trust our coaching staff more than a Monday morning (or in this case Friday morning) GM. You guys are all so hell bent on Flynn being the answer. I'm saying, we've not been getting blown out, we've won more often than we've lost, and the largest margin of defeat is only 7 points. That is enough for me to continue doing what we're doing and to keep trusting in our coaching staff, who has brought in almost every single player we have on our roster. Let them coach. I find it hilarious that if it's so obvious that Flynn would dominate for us, that our coaching staff would somehow miss that. Seriously? But I'm a ridiculous RW fanboy because I trust our coaches to make those decisions. Whatever...

mistaowen

Reaction score
Nope, that is not what I am saying. I am saying it is RARE for them to be wide open in the NFL. Obviously it does happen since defensive players are humans, but more often than not they will be in pretty good coverage. What passes yesterday were dropped that weren't put into their hands? How is that inaccurate? All of them were 'drops.' I agreed above his int was a bad throw, but the replays show what he saw and wanted to do with it.

And I can make many, many other comparisons of receivers making plays with solid coverage who aren't perrenial pro bowlers. Watch any football game who doesn't have Alex Smith throwing 2 yard passes everytime and get back to me if receivers are mostly covered.

The throws to Turbin, Braylon, Tate, and Moore were all perfect passes, which you said, put the ball where the receiver can catch it. Braylon's endzone pass was up and away from Willis who was under him in coverage while away from the over the top safety....the definition of a perfect throw to let your receiver make a play on it. Review the plays and have legitimate examples, not just rash knee-jerk statements.

And to make receivers get open, that is much more on their route running and scheming set up by the offensive coordinator. I have always been jealous of the offense the Saints run. They have maybe one second tier WR in Colston but run such a perfectly set up passing offense. Making players get out of their zones and away from man coverage isn't RW's job, but from what we have seen, he does a good job trying to throw them open. That is the #1 thing that I personally thought won him the starting job.

*** Edited, apparently he deleted his post lol

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2tmdbzgb said:

I must have been drinking to much I didn't see all those batted down balls. I saw one int that my son could have picked off (he is 4) and then I saw a bunch of passes in pretty tight coverage right where the receivers could catch the ball.

Really the funny thing about it to me is breaking it down. For those that didn't like Wilson yesterday.

Did he play a good first half or was that poor as well?

Separately second half coming in to the last drive the TV showed RW passing 0 - 4!!!! Please please tell me that a QB having four pass attempts in a ONE HALF of a game after playing a stellar first half isn't making you determine if he is good or bad. How is that possible especially when the first or second one of those is a 3rd down throw hitting the WR right smack in the hands for a first down and amazingly enough is DROPPED!!!

If he was 5/25 or 5/15 in the second half I would see the argument that he was BAD in the second half regardless of the first half.......

You know who also sucked in the second half. The kicker was horrific. He was freaking pathethic in the second half he went 0 for 0 in that half coming up with a combined ZERO points in the second half. FIRE HIM.....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":1a3yo21b said:
Sgt. Largent":1a3yo21b said:

I must have been drinking to much I didn't see all those batted down balls. I saw one int that my son could have picked off (he is 4) and then I saw a bunch of passes in pretty tight coverage right where the receivers could catch the ball.

I guess you were drinking, especially right before halftime when instead of running out the clock Wilson threw three straight deep balls that were all knocked down. Instead we punted and the defense had to stop SF from getting a FG.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1lzxh51s said:
Sgt. Largent":1lzxh51s said:
volsunghawk":1lzxh51s said:
Why on earth do people think that somehow Seattle's rebuild is totally complete and finished with the exception of the QB position?

No team is "totally rebuilt." We just happen to have a team that's ready to compete for a Superbowl, if not for poor QB and passing offense play. So that's what everyone's complaining about.

I guess it comes down to who's wiling to wait 2-3 more years to see if Wilson improves, and who wants to win now. Personally I don't want to wait because we have all the other parts in place.

This part, I do not believe is true, frankly. I think this team has a strong shot at the playoffs, sure, and anything can happen there. But there are issues with the WR corps, with the health and cohesiveness of the O-line, with the QB position, with the TE position, and the pass rush still disappears at times. That's a lot more that needs to be addressed other than "poor QB play" and claiming otherwise is just unrealistic.

This part, on the other hand, is completely ridiculous. We've seen Wilson improve over the course of a handful of games so far, yet you're saying that we have to be willing to wait 2-3 years. Holy hell, people like you aren't even willing to give him 8 damned GAMES to show improvement, and you ignore it when he does.

Thank you! Some people should take up watching a new sport that doesn't require so much critical thinking.

justafan

Reaction score
Carhanu21":322aw1fr said:
1. Alex Smith is, always has been, and always will be garbage.

2. Russell Wilson is garbage right now. Not sure what he will become in the future. He has alot of good qualities. However, his short height looks like it might be a problem. He may have problems with seeing the field and finding open receivers, especially the short routes. He seems to be good at the long passes because its easier to see down the field with longer routes.

3. Seahawks and Niners are competing for the title of Worst Wide Receiver Corps in the NFL. Before last night, i thought Niners had a stranglehold on that title going back several years. Looks like the Seahawks are trying to overtake them this year.

4. Gore is a solid back but the real credit goes to the Niners offensive line. Those guys monsters in the run game. Especially Staley, Iupati, and Davs.

5. Really impressed with the Seahawks secondary. Sherman, Browner, Chancellor and Thomas are probly the best secondary group in the league. They completely shut down the Niners receivers and tight ends.

6. I am very impressed with Marshawn Lynch. That guy is probly the scariest RB in the league right now. He's probly the only guy that is capable of being productive regardless of how well the O-Line plays. Most RB's are dependent on their O-Line to open holes.

7. Looks like the Niners may have exposed a weakness in the Seahawks defense. Just pound the ball down the gut and run straight at them. I dont think the Seahawks were prepared for that. The Seahawks defense has tons of speed and can cover the sidelines very well. But that speed doesnt help as much against bruising, downhill running games like the Niners have.

8. I dont think either of these teams will go very far in the playoffs, if they make the playoffs. The offenses are just way too flawed.

I am really not worried about the weakness you think was exposed.Niners put up 13 points.If every team wants to take that blueprint and try to beat us I will be ecstatic.No team has a line that can play that physical and run that varied of a blocking scheme like the Niners do.They are a very talented and physical but they are also very well coached Oline.No team will do that to us the rest of the year but if they do the Hawks will score more than 13 and win 9 outta 10 times IMO.

Young2Rice

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":39tkoiy6 said:
Carhanu21":39tkoiy6 said:
1. Alex Smith is, always has been, and always will be garbage.

2. Russell Wilson is garbage right now. Not sure what he will become in the future. He has alot of good qualities. However, his short height looks like it might be a problem. He may have problems with seeing the field and finding open receivers, especially the short routes. He seems to be good at the long passes because its easier to see down the field with longer routes.

3. Seahawks and Niners are competing for the title of Worst Wide Receiver Corps in the NFL. Before last night, i thought Niners had a stranglehold on that title going back several years. Looks like the Seahawks are trying to overtake them this year.

4. Gore is a solid back but the real credit goes to the Niners offensive line. Those guys monsters in the run game. Especially Staley, Iupati, and Davs.

5. Really impressed with the Seahawks secondary. Sherman, Browner, Chancellor and Thomas are probly the best secondary group in the league. They completely shut down the Niners receivers and tight ends.

6. I am very impressed with Marshawn Lynch. That guy is probly the scariest RB in the league right now. He's probly the only guy that is capable of being productive regardless of how well the O-Line plays. Most RB's are dependent on their O-Line to open holes.

7. Looks like the Niners may have exposed a weakness in the Seahawks defense. Just pound the ball down the gut and run straight at them. I dont think the Seahawks were prepared for that. The Seahawks defense has tons of speed and can cover the sidelines very well. But that speed doesnt help as much against bruising, downhill running games like the Niners have.

8. I dont think either of these teams will go very far in the playoffs, if they make the playoffs. The offenses are just way too flawed.

I had hope for this post until I read "Russell Wilson is garbage".

Garbage? Really?

Ignorant.

He said Garbage right now. For a rookie, he is playing solid. But not great. Luck, RGIII and playing better as rookies.

This implies there is room for improvement

SeahawkFrost

Reaction score
Did anyone else notice Braylon Edwards quitting on his route during the interception. IMO the ball wouldn't of been intercepted if Edwards didn't quit on his route. Wilson was throwing the pass to where he expected Edwards to be but instead Braylon just slowed down at the end of his route.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Wow, I think some of you are overreacting. I agree with the Niner fan, Russell Wilson is garbage "right now."

Meaning that game. That INT was horrible! It was on 2nd down and Rice was open, it's not like there wasn any desperation at the point in the game.

Then in the end zone he wouldn't let the ball go! End of game, no time outs, very little time, throw the damn ball downfield! That out to Sidney for 6 yards was ridiculous! Then he got sacked.

Russell is also not sensing the pressure very well. I don't know if it was the game plan to stay in the pocket but I doubt it was. He should have been rolling out on almost every play to get away from "The Smith Brothers"

Russell had an off night and completely missed some golden opportunities most of the game while looking deep downfield and I think that's the problem with his medium game, he's just not looking. Then when he needs to toss it downfield, he's looking medium or holding the ball.