Niners fan here: things i noticed last night

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":27o1kdn2 said:
Last year's playoff teams featured QBs with a 80.9 rating (Flacco), 80.4 rating (Dalton), and a 72.9 rating (Tebow). Flacco's team made it to the AFCCG, even with him putting up 8 games that season with under an 80 rating. But his team had a strong running game and great D. If only we had that in Seattle!

Thanks for bringing up Dalton, perfect rookie comparison. Squeaks into the playoffs, then goes on the road and gets drilled.

So sure, if we can get a home playoff game, we have a chance to be a one and done like the Broncos. But if our ambitions are higher (and they should be with this defense), then just being poor to mediocre as a QB and offense is not cutting it. Sorry.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
To say Wilson is garbage right now after last night's game, says, "I only looked at numbers and didn't actually watch the game".

We are so close to getting over that hump, and once we do, look out.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":282e5q1h said:
volsunghawk":282e5q1h said:
Last year's playoff teams featured QBs with a 80.9 rating (Flacco), 80.4 rating (Dalton), and a 72.9 rating (Tebow). Flacco's team made it to the AFCCG, even with him putting up 8 games that season with under an 80 rating. But his team had a strong running game and great D. If only we had that in Seattle!

Thanks for bringing up Dalton, perfect rookie comparison. Squeaks into the playoffs, then goes on the road and gets drilled.

So sure, if we can get a home playoff game, we have a chance to be a one and done like the Broncos. But if our ambitions are higher (and they should be with this defense), then just being poor to mediocre as a QB and offense is not cutting it. Sorry.

I suppose Matt Flynn is going to be brought up next? If not, then the discussion is pointless because there's no one else on our team. If so, I'm out, because you're on something illegal.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":2pt53f3w said:
I suppose Matt Flynn is going to be brought up next? If not, then the discussion is pointless because there's no one else on our team. If so, I'm out, because you're on something illegal.

Flynn is always going to be brought up as long as our passing offense is terrible. Get used to it.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1c774gya said:
volsunghawk":1c774gya said:

Why on earth do people think that somehow Seattle's rebuild is totally complete and finished with the exception of the QB position? All of a sudden, we've got every single damned piece in place for a SB run, but are being held down by the QB? Are you kidding me?

This team is STILL being built. Schneider said himself he had a 4-year plan (in which we're about 2.5 years through). We've still got significant questions on the O-line and even bigger questions at WR. It's not just the QB. And you don't just say, "We've got a badass D now! We should totally be in the SB!" You have to have the right people in place on both sides of the ball at EVERY position. And Seattle's still in the process of getting that done.

I don't understand how people can go from watching our team struggle through a massive turnover in personnel in 2010, continue that turnover while finding an identity as a team with a strong run game and defense in 2011 - both while posting losing records - and then suddenly think the team should be a contender and that it would be if they'd just put in that inexperienced backup who posted gaudy numbers once with a SB offense around him.

That's delusion.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Carhanu21":28eth1n5 said:
FlyingGreg":28eth1n5 said:
Carhanu21":28eth1n5 said:
1. Alex Smith is, always has been, and always will be garbage.

2. Russell Wilson is garbage right now. Not sure what he will become in the future. He has alot of good qualities. However, his short height looks like it might be a problem. He may have problems with seeing the field and finding open receivers, especially the short routes. He seems to be good at the long passes because its easier to see down the field with longer routes.

3. Seahawks and Niners are competing for the title of Worst Wide Receiver Corps in the NFL. Before last night, i thought Niners had a stranglehold on that title going back several years. Looks like the Seahawks are trying to overtake them this year.

4. Gore is a solid back but the real credit goes to the Niners offensive line. Those guys monsters in the run game. Especially Staley, Iupati, and Davs.

5. Really impressed with the Seahawks secondary. Sherman, Browner, Chancellor and Thomas are probly the best secondary group in the league. They completely shut down the Niners receivers and tight ends.

6. I am very impressed with Marshawn Lynch. That guy is probly the scariest RB in the league right now. He's probly the only guy that is capable of being productive regardless of how well the O-Line plays. Most RB's are dependent on their O-Line to open holes.

7. Looks like the Niners may have exposed a weakness in the Seahawks defense. Just pound the ball down the gut and run straight at them. I dont think the Seahawks were prepared for that. The Seahawks defense has tons of speed and can cover the sidelines very well. But that speed doesnt help as much against bruising, downhill running games like the Niners have.

8. I dont think either of these teams will go very far in the playoffs, if they make the playoffs. The offenses are just way too flawed.

I had hope for this post until I read "Russell Wilson is garbage".

Garbage? Really?

Ignorant.

Thanks for the detailed feedback with supporting evidence. I did give credit to Wilson for being pretty good at the deep pass. He threw a couple nice deep passes that were dropped by the receivers.

Maybe "garbage" is an overstatement. Sorry if I upset you. You must be his Russell Wilson's brother or something....

Your comment didn't rate detailed feedback, and yes it was an egregious overstatement. Especially when you followed it up with the lame height comment. Who are you, Mel Kiper? Was Wilson's height a factor in five dropped passes that you conveniently left out? Maybe Wilson should loft the ball so much he has a chance to run down and make the catch for our WRs...?

Stop fussing...if you are going to come into a Seahawks forum and call Wilson 'garbage', put your big boy pants on and expect some push back.

Wilson has wins against Dallas, Green Bay and New England under his belt in his first 7 career starts, playing with admittedly inferior play makers at WR.

At least you recognize Alex Smith is garbage.

nsport

Reaction score
OMG. The OP had so many good things to say, but the seething sucking chest wound of the loss gives everyone the justification to only say the "Wilson is garbage" point as the only thing worth noting. The remainder of the post is actually a pretty good launching point for a lot of discussion. You are right, OP - both teams are flawed offensively - had the O been clicking and not dropping passes, Seattle stands a great chance of winning last night. They didn't - they are not good enough to overcome mistakes on the road. Wilson may have had some to do with it - but clearly not the root cause for the loss.

Oh - and as far as big boy panties goes - I ask most of the egregious responders to a single item in a fairly decent OP to put theirs on. Ridiculous and embarrassing Seahawks fans.

OP
OP
C

Carhanu21

Reaction score
Your comment didn't rate detailed feedback, and yes it was an egregious overstatement. Especially when you followed it up with the lame height comment. Who are you, Mel Kiper? Was Wilson's height a factor in five dropped passes that you conveniently left out? Maybe Wilson should loft the ball so much he has a chance to run down and make the catch for our WRs...?

Stop fussing...if you are going to come into a Seahawks forum and call Wilson 'garbage', put your big boy pants on and expect some push back.

Wilson has wins against Dallas, Green Bay and New England under his belt in his first 7 career starts, playing with admittedly inferior play makers at WR.

At least you recognize Alex Smith is garbage.[/quote]

Russell Wilson is not "garbage". I admit it was an overstatement. But I cant call him "good" either. RIGHT NOW, I would characterize RW as an average qb that needs ALOT of support from his teammates in order to be successful. Kinda like Alex Smith. Except RW has more room to improve than Alice Smith.

The two big questions are: What is Wilson's true potential? and Will he reach that potential?.....We will see.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":17itm1zb said:
Why on earth do people think that somehow Seattle's rebuild is totally complete and finished with the exception of the QB position?

No team is "totally rebuilt." We just happen to have a team that's ready to compete for a Superbowl, if not for poor QB and passing offense play. So that's what everyone's complaining about.

I guess it comes down to who's wiling to wait 2-3 more years to see if Wilson improves, and who wants to win now. Personally I don't want to wait because we have all the other parts in place.

ensett

Reaction score
LOL, it isn't surprising a 49ers fan doesn't know how to analyze a QB. Years of nothing will do that to you

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3kznzd0g said:
volsunghawk":3kznzd0g said:
Why on earth do people think that somehow Seattle's rebuild is totally complete and finished with the exception of the QB position?

No team is "totally rebuilt." We just happen to have a team that's ready to compete for a Superbowl, if not for poor QB and passing offense play. So that's what everyone's complaining about.

I guess it comes down to who's wiling to wait 2-3 more years to see if Wilson improves, and who wants to win now. Personally I don't want to wait because we have all the other parts in place.

This part, I do not believe is true, frankly. I think this team has a strong shot at the playoffs, sure, and anything can happen there. But there are issues with the WR corps, with the health and cohesiveness of the O-line, with the QB position, with the TE position, and the pass rush still disappears at times. That's a lot more that needs to be addressed other than "poor QB play" and claiming otherwise is just unrealistic.

This part, on the other hand, is completely ridiculous. We've seen Wilson improve over the course of a handful of games so far, yet you're saying that we have to be willing to wait 2-3 years. Holy hell, people like you aren't even willing to give him 8 damned GAMES to show improvement, and you ignore it when he does.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3fq61kvj said:
This part, on the other hand, is completely ridiculous. We've seen Wilson improve over the course of a handful of games so far, yet you're saying that we have to be willing to wait 2-3 years. Holy hell, people like you aren't even willing to give him 8 damned GAMES to show improvement, and you ignore it when he does.

122 yards with a 38.7 passer rating is improving?

Sorry, but I stand by the fact that Carroll screwed up the QB battle. Flynn should have been named the starter, and Wilson should have done what 3rd round QB picks do, which is sit, learn the system and league, then in a year or two they're ready to hit the ground running with no dumbing down of the playbook or conservative game planning because he might screw up.

.......and I will stand by this opinion until Wilson can proficiently and consistently move this offense. So far it hasn't happened consistently enough, even in his "good" games.

anthony4r

Reaction score
I wish people would stop looking at stats and qbr and watch football games

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Sgt - I'm aware Flynn will be brought up while our offense is down, but that doesn't mean he should be. I'm opening the door for you to say it. Do you think we're over the hump if we make a change at QB? Do you think everything we need to get there is already on our roster?

nspor - As far as not mentioning the correct things in the OP. Who cares? Not bringing those things up is in many ways an admittance of agreement. Seriously, why would anyone be embarassed about objecting to an obvious false statement? Some people EVEN went as far as to say he was right on with much of his assessment, but that one comment stood out as untrue. And as far as I am concerned, to say as much, indicates the OP didn't even watch the game. Obviously that's not the case, but that's how incorrect of a statement that was.

OP - I'm not saying Russell is a God (he went back to the chargers), but garbage just isn't true. Even for this game. I'm not going to use the "he's a rookie" excuse either, because I don't think an excuse even needs to be made to begin with. He honestly did enough to win, which is all our system requires him to do. Others let us down in this game. Truth.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3kgv93jd said:
volsunghawk":3kgv93jd said:

122 yards with a 38.7 passer rating is improving?

From Hawkblogger, who was firmly in the "start Flynn" camp up through the first several games of the season:

Hawkblogger":3kgv93jd said:
He will also get praise and credit where he earns it. He earned a ton of it last night. That was the best 9/23, 38.7 rating performance you are likely to see this season. Pointing the finger anywhere near his direction for the loss is ludicrous. He was a rookie quarterback, facing the most intimidating defense in the NFL on the road with minimal prep, and he came out on fire. His whole first half was impressive. He gave his receivers and running backs and tight ends numerous chances to make big plays. His first half numbers were 6/13 103 yds 7.9 YPA and a 73.6 passer rating. There were at least three straight drops in that half, two deep balls that could have been caught, and a few throwaways. In other words, he was nearly perfect. He entered what was likely to be his biggest challenge of the regular season, and was nearly perfect out of the gates. Impressive.

This was not the Wilson of a few weeks ago that looked confused and bailed from the pocket for no reason. He was patient, and made some courageous decisions. There is no doubt he still locked onto certain reads and missed open receivers. He has not "arrived" as some wanted to believe after his stirring performance against the Pats. He has, however, showed far greater growth the last three weeks than he had the first four. That is encouraging.

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2012/10/the- ... ll-to.html

As I noted before, even when Wilson demonstrates that the game is slowing down for him and that he's improving quickly in all parts of his game, you will NEVER admit it because you think it should have been Flynn's job in the first place.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":fhvhzdg3 said:
Sgt - I'm aware Flynn will be brought up while our offense is down, but that doesn't mean he should be. I'm opening the door for you to say it. Do you think we're over the hump if we make a change at QB? Do you think everything we need to get there is already on our roster.

I think there was a correct conventional way to deal with our QB "competition".........and Carroll mishandled it.

Flynn is the more experienced QB that we paid good money to get. He may not be as dynamic, or have the bigger upside than Wilson. But for what we need, which is a QB that can manage games, go through progressions quickly and accurately and read defenses....Flynn is the better of the two RIGHT NOW.

There was no reason to rush Wilson along with this kind of team. We have a competent QB on the roster. What was wrong with finding out if Flynn could play first before going to Wilson? Now we're suffering through rookie growing pains for no reason other than Carroll's ego.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2tnywws7 said:
volsunghawk":2tnywws7 said:

Compete for the Superbowl? What are you smoking? This team is 10-6 maybe 11-5 AT BEST. We are at the level of possible wildcard. Superbowl? what a steaming load of doo.

1. WR corps needs a serious upgrade
2. RG needs a serious upgrade
3. We need a good cover corner for slot receivers

And this is just off the top of my head.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2wq8k6km said:
KARAVARUS":2wq8k6km said:
Sgt - I'm aware Flynn will be brought up while our offense is down, but that doesn't mean he should be. I'm opening the door for you to say it. Do you think we're over the hump if we make a change at QB? Do you think everything we need to get there is already on our roster.

I think there was a correct conventional way to deal with our QB "competition".........and Carroll mishandled it.

Flynn is the more experienced QB that we paid good money to get. He may not be as dynamic, or have the bigger upside than Wilson. But for what we need, which is a QB that can manage games, go through progressions quickly and accurately and read defenses....Flynn is the better of the two RIGHT NOW.

There was no reason to rush Wilson along with this kind of team. We have a competent QB on the roster. What was wrong with finding out if Flynn could play first before going to Wilson? Now we're suffering through rookie growing pains for no reason other than Carroll's ego.
Or your ridiculous impatience actually. Flynn couldn't even beat him when nothing counted what makes you think he would do anything in a game that isn't meaningless or garbage time or without elite level WR's ala Green Bay? Please do tell, I need a laugh.

Latest posts