Arena Deal thread: UPDATE: DEAL PASSED AND SIGNED OFF!!!

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
BlueThunder":3i1zvfnk said:
Wiseguy":3i1zvfnk said:
Oilers Arena deal fell through today, so they are another possibility to move to Seattle.

I still just don't see that happening. That would be like, well, the Sonics leaving Seattle... :cussing:

Yea, I'd be perty turn up about that. Even as an Avs fan, I'd hate to see the Oilers get dicked over like that. That part of Canada is full-blown hockey crazy - I know; I've been there. They live, breathe, eat, sleep, and die hockey. And the Oilers are such a storied franchise.

If not an expansion team, better a lackluster, middle-of-the-road, little supported team like one in the sun belt that's struggling than the Oilers. I want a team in Seattle, but just not like that if I can help it.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I'd be sick if the Oilers moved. I think there should be a "hands-off" policy on Canadian teams. Any team below the 45th should be the first to move. Teams along the southern US border shouldn't have been so quick to move to those cities, regardless of how fast those cities were growing. There are a lot of snowbirds from Canada that own homes in Phoenix and Miami areas, but you can't depend on part time residents as a fan base. It just doesn't work.

The Angels have tried to market themselves to tourists, thinking that folks will come to Disneyland and also go to an Angels game. It hasn't happened, so now they are trying to move into LA itself. It is the same sort of issue. You can't depend on visitors to fill your seats. You need a strong consistent day-to-day fan base. I think Seattle would have one built in for hockey.

Hockey isn't all that popular here in Utah, but when we had a AAA team, we drew almost as much as a lot of NHL teams. It was a good team, in a good league, and there is a large enough base of people here to support a team. Plus we have a "cold season" so hockey makes a lot of sense. Plus people here need something to do.

Seattle fans have shown they will consistently support a decent team. Not a crappy one, but a decent one and above. Look what the Sounders have done. The M's think their attendance is down because the Sounders FC came along. What a joke. The M's would still be filling the place. The problem for the M's is that they suck, and the Sounders are consistently in the top 3 or 4 teams in the league and win trophies (multiple open cups in a row).

There are PLENTY of fans to fill the seats of a hockey, basketball, baseball, and football teams in Seattle. Here in Utah we fill the seats of the Jazz (around 20,000 a game for 82 games), Real Salt Lake (over 16,000 per game for about 20 games), 3 minor league baseball teams (2 rookie league, 1 triple A), 5 division 1 basketball teams (all within an hour and a half driving distance north and south), and 3 Division 1 Football teams (BYU seats 65,000... U of Utah seats about 60,000, and Utah State about 40,000) and a lower level hockey team. We don't have nearly the population base that the Seattle/Tacoma area has.

There will be no problem. The M's just want to be able to continue to spend little and get a huge return. To get butts in the seats, you need a better product, and competition is bad if you don't want to try. Thus their blatant whining about the whole thing. It's obvious they don't want to invest in the product.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Anyone want to tell me where this NBA expansion talk is coming from? adding one team in Seattle would uneven things, wouldn't they have to add another city to the mix? Kansas city? Vancouver?

pinksheets

Reaction score
Throwdown":2w8s9yko said:
Anyone want to tell me where this NBA expansion talk is coming from? adding one team in Seattle would uneven things, wouldn't they have to add another city to the mix? Kansas city? Vancouver?
It's just speculation. I don't think you are forced to add 2 teams, though it's ideal, but I still think expansion is very unlikely. The NFL had 31 teams when the Browns were brought back and didn't get even again until the Texans were put in place 3 years later. The NBA could see Seattle as the perfect place for an expansion, as a city that ideally would have never lost its team, give them an expansion, and just plan on an undecided future expansion to even things out at some point soon. Looking at the number of teams positioned to relocate and the number of cities that want a team, it is possible. Chances are most of the "candidates" for relocation won't relocate, so we'll see.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Throwdown":2ffx15xm said:
Came from David Stern himself. A reporter asked him about the likelihood of an expansion in several years, and he said one would fit the Seattle arenas time frame perfectly. Of course, I don't want to have to wait another 4-5 years for one when we can get one soon and have them play in the dome or Key until the arena is finished.

soohawk

Reaction score
the islanders are going to be playing in the barclays centre in brooklyn as of 2016, cross em off the list

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Bucks and Grizzlies as far as NBA teams seem to be out of it too. As they are about to re-up their arena leases.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Stern just announced that he will be stepping down as commish after the 2014 NBA season. If anything that should say that we could get a team by at least 2014.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I saw that, crazy we knew it was close but damn next season? Best thing for Sonics fans IMO is it'll be sterns right hand man Adam Silver taking over.

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Yup... for those of you that missed it...

"Ballmer’s group has been trying to get the Maloof family to sell the Sacramento Kings, so that the franchise can eventually play in a new arena in Seattle.

From the league office, pressure on the Maloofs to sell has been growing, sources said – just as hopes for a new Sacramento arena have been fading. Seattle Sonics fans will never forgive Stern for his complicit role in Clay Bennett’s deception to move that franchise to Oklahoma City, but make no mistake: Stern desperately wants to return the NBA to one of its great markets and wants it for his own measure of vindication before he leaves office."

And there ya go...

Things are getting real my friends...
I think Dori Monson had it right... This was the deal all along, but no one was allowed to say shit. I think the Maloofs held off to see how the city and county voted for the new Arena. At least that's the way I read it. And now Stern has buddy'd up with the Seattle ownership group, mainly Balmer, and is actively involved in pressuring the Maloofs to sell. God, I knew it! This is gonna happen sooner than later man... I just feel it!!! YES!!!

Shaz

Reaction score
I feel terrible for fans in Sacramento, they are getting screwed by all this

David Stern needs to die, and I'm not kidding about that

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Sacramento stole them from Omaha who had them stolen by Kansas City. That franchise has always been a mess. The NBA has been a mess since Stern took over. The league has grown a lot, but the league itself is a mess with the ridiculous amount of franchise movement and cash cows that have been expansion teams that were then given more cash to the league to move the team again (see the Grizzlies and Hornets for 2 prime examples).

dunceface

Reaction score
Kings are on their fourth city already
and all of this is (or will be) out in the open
I won't feel bad WHEN this happens

Throwdown

Reaction score
Anyone else seeing these rumors of Phil Jackson being involved with the Hansen/Ballmer group?

If thats true, then mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

dunceface

Reaction score
Throwdown":3e2yvuoy said:
Anyone else seeing these rumors of Phil Jackson being involved with the Hansen/Ballmer group?

If thats true, then mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

BACK OFF LAKERS! YOU HAD YOUR SHOT!

tubbs51

Reaction score
If Jackson end up being the coach of the "new" sonics i will literally...... be so excited....

I almost put something else there instead of Excited but this aint the shack so...

Awesome.

Latest posts