I still only see one thing wrong with this team

The Radish

Reaction score
They can never play 4 quarters of football in one game.

They fly half the game and crash the second. I don't pretend to know the answer but its been up front the entire season.

Actually last season too. Even with the drops if they had played with the same enthusiam and execution in the second half they did in the first they would have won going away.

canucklhead

Reaction score
The Radish":1fhzgbdi said:
They can never play 4 quarters of football in one game.
They fly half the game and crash the second. I don't pretend to know the answer but its been up front the entire season.

Actually last season too. Even with the drops if they had played with the same enthusiam and execution in the second half they did in the first they would have won going away.

The refrain of every middle of the road team....in any sport. Just replace quarters with innings, periods, sets, frames, halves.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Youth. 1 rookie LB, 1 sophomore LB. 2 'sophomore' CBs. 1 rookie DE. Rookie QB and an offensive line that gets mix 'n matched more than a six pack. The list goes on. We have a lot of growing up to do. (Whereas a team like the 49ers is in their window because they're mostly all on the tail end of their prime years.)

canucklhead

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3rele8ly said:
It's youth.

Yup.

Not to at all look past this season in any practical sense...but if you let your mind travel to the next couple, few years this team is gonna be special. Even more special if they draft well and sprinkle in some FA's.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
canucklhead":pf7nkgf9 said:
FlyingGreg":pf7nkgf9 said:
It's youth.

Yup.

Not to at all look past this season in any practical sense...but if you let your mind travel to the next couple, few years this team is gonna be special. Even more special if they draft well and sprinkle in some FA's.

Agreed. This looks more and more like a team that has outstanding talent and will scare a lot of opponents this year while challenging for a playoff spot. I think next season (once this team is seasoned) is when our window really opens - especially with another patented John Schneider draft adding a couple more pieces.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Agree with PP. Young teams find ways to lose, often by doing something poorly that they had done well recently (dropped passes). Consistency takes time to develop...

tdlabrie

Reaction score
I, too, see only one thing wrong with this team, and IMO it's not youth. It's our complete and utter inability to stop the short pass. We were doing "great" until Hairball started exploiting this weakness and then we tanked.

Think back to the NE game -- Brady threw, what?, about 500 passes. But nearly 80% were between 5 - 12 yards. Think about practically any game where we looked bad and you'll see buttloads of these dink-and-dunk passes.

Gore did a great job, no doubt about it, but I think a lot of his success was because we had to respect the short pass, even from someone like Smith.

I'm not an X's and O's kind of guy, just an avid, long-term observer. Can somebody please tell me, other than the pass-rush-pressure (of which we have none IMO, Irvin or not) how is a team supposed to defend these passes?

vongstaTHEmonsta

Reaction score
tdlabrie":1y9vddfp said:
I, too, see only one thing wrong with this team, and IMO it's not youth. It's our complete and utter inability to stop the short pass. We were doing "great" until Hairball started exploiting this weakness and then we tanked.

Think back to the NE game -- Brady threw, what?, about 500 passes. But nearly 80% were between 5 - 12 yards. Think about practically any game where we looked bad and you'll see buttloads of these dink-and-dunk passes.

Gore did a great job, no doubt about it, but I think a lot of his success was because we had to respect the short pass, even from someone like Smith.

I'm not an X's and O's kind of guy, just an avid, long-term observer. Can somebody please tell me, other than the pass-rush-pressure (of which we have none IMO, Irvin or not) how is a team supposed to defend these passes?

^This

MLOhawks

Reaction score
I cant understand why we don't have a scheme to keep someone in the middle to take away these maddening dink/dunk/check down/slant crap that NE and SF roasted us on.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MLOhawks":27f3c8so said:
I cant understand why we don't have a scheme to keep someone in the middle to take away these maddening dink/dunk/check down/slant crap that NE and SF roasted us on.

In the 4-3 defensive scheme, it's up to your LB's to cover backs out of the backfield. For some reason last night K.J. and Wagner thought it was more important to help cover Davis downfield, than to hold their position for checkdowns.

The question is why didn't Bradley recognize this and tell them to stop it after the 4th or 5th time?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The Radish":1jhbg31r said:

Actually, up until the Carolina game, everyone was complaining how we'd limp out of the gates and then turn it on in the SECOND half.

OP
OP
The Radish

The Radish

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":pjhdim2p said:
The Radish":pjhdim2p said:

Actually, up until the Carolina game, everyone was complaining how we'd limp out of the gates and then turn it on in the SECOND half.

I was trying to compare one half to the other, not necessarily 1st or 2nd.

And the Dallas game they flew like eagles in the first half, like turkeys in the 2nd. Just happened they were so far ahead it didn't matter.

Same exact thing with Pats, they just woke up for the last 5 minutes of the game that time like good teams should.

:les:

sam1313

Reaction score
The Radish":2jvp7zok said:
MontanaHawk05":2jvp7zok said:
The Radish":2jvp7zok said:

I was trying to compare one half to the other, not necessarily 1st or 2nd.

And the Dallas game they flew like eagles in the first half, like turkeys in the 2nd. Just happened they were so far ahead it didn't matter.

Same exact thing with Pats, they just woke up for the last 5 minutes of the game that time like good teams should.

:les:

Come on Radish, we had 2 drives of 80+ yards in the second half of the dallas game. Those were the final nails in the Cowboys' coffin.

Anyway, I don't see this as our weakness. I think that a couple of our shortcomings get exploited. In this case, I think they trapped our DL and our rookie ML well, they freaking kicked Breno's butt handily once they knew we had to throw, and they kicked our butts in special teams (I hate Ginn. Don't know why he has a spell on us, but he does.)

AgentDib

Reaction score
I do not agree with the youth angle. Seven of our rookies play on defense, where we have been good enough to be 7-0 this season if our passing offense was just middle of the road. I do think it is a big deal that Wilson is a rookie, but many of the arguments in his favor have been that for a rookie he has good poise and film study habits.

The rest of our passing offense no longer gets a pass due to inexperience. Rice, Miller, Moore, Edwards, Obo, McQuistan and Giacomini are veterans. Tate, McCoy, Okung, and Unger are third year players that should now be entering the prime of their careers. Baldwin, Carpenter and Moffitt are the only second year players and saw a lot of playing time in their rookie seasons.

To whatever degree you think Wilson was not responsible for our dismal passing offense last night, you should not be making a youth excuse since he is the only one that merits it.

Hamhawk

Reaction score
I think youth really shows up on road games,....facing adversity is best served with game experience

rjdriver

Reaction score
I agree that youth is an issue, but as an extension of that I have a feeling that this team lacks discipline that every young squad needs. I like Pete's rah rah and have fun style, and love this team, but they lack a certain discipline that would compensate somewhat for their youth. That's on the coaches.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hamhawk":klklbez3 said:
I think youth really shows up on road games,....facing adversity is best served with game experience

The offense is most affected for road games. Dealing with crowd noise and a jacked up defense are the biggest hurdles to winning on the road.

This is why it's important to not make mistakes, and have an experienced QB that's been there before and can lead an offense. We didn't have either of these things........which equals loss.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
AgentDib":28kvtsqs said:
I do not agree with the youth angle. Seven of our rookies play on defense, where we have been good enough to be 7-0 this season if our passing offense was just middle of the road. I do think it is a big deal that Wilson is a rookie, but many of the arguments in his favor have been that for a rookie he has good poise and film study habits.

The rest of our passing offense no longer gets a pass due to inexperience. Rice, Miller, Moore, Edwards, Obo, McQuistan and Giacomini are veterans. Tate, McCoy, Okung, and Unger are third year players that should now be entering the prime of their careers. Baldwin, Carpenter and Moffitt are the only second year players and saw a lot of playing time in their rookie seasons.

To whatever degree you think Wilson was not responsible for our dismal passing offense last night, you should not be making a youth excuse since he is the only one that merits it.

This is a good point and one that needs to be echoed, but the offensive playbook and the combination of these guys are young and require getting used to. Use "new" instead of "young" if it helps.

Latest posts