#1 priority in the off season

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: #1 priority in the off season
Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:58 am
  • AgentDib wrote:Couldn't disagree more. Will revisit with specifics when the game is up tomorrow but right now my prediction is that over half of our passing plays were hurried, tipped or broken up by pressure.

This is what I saw most of the game. There were a few plays where they gave him time but SF's line showed what a good o-line can do.

R.I.P. Brother Les, I'll always know you as Pithy Radish.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:06 am
  • Mike Wallace and draft Robert Woods. Boom, done. Can you imagine Mike Wallace with Wilson's cannon arm? :3:

Also, we need to heavily invest in a pass catching TE if one shows up on the board.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:16 am
  • I miss Brandon Stokley =(
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:49 am
  • All we need is to draft Tavon Austin and hope he grows from 5'9" to 6'3" in between the draft and the start of OTA's. :)

The kid has glue hands and man oh man can he run after making the catch. I'm sure he's just too much like Baldwin and Tate to be the kind of player this team needs. Probably a Sidney Rice sized guy... a Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall type guy is the #1 priority.

I don't know though.... Austin is pretty darned good. Just tiny. He reminds me a ton of Steve Smith, and Steve is a threat no matter where he is on the field. The kid gets catches and picks up YAC consistently. He might be the perfect guy for running those dumb screens we seem so fond of. He could drop quite a bit in the draft due to his lack of size (where have we heard that before?). Probably not the game changer many of you are looking for, but certainly he could be quite a piece of the puzzle if they are going to rebuild the receiver corps (replacing everybody but Rice and Baldwin wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility in my mind.... just as we've done across the DL, LBer's, and DB's over the last 2 years... now it's time to do it at WR perhaps).
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:59 am
  • Last, but not least... Does Bevell know how to use a f#@&^! screen?

I wonder about Bevell a lot.
    chiltech500
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:12 am
  • Hawks46 wrote:agree with razor150.

Wilson should've NEVER thrown that ball. Triple coverage, and oh...my bad, Edwards was supposed to run over 2 guys then the ball was 7 yards away from him ? That was the worst pass I've seen Wilson throw this season.

It was seriously bad enough, that I would've benched him for a series or a quarter and put Flynn in. You can't seriously just let that go as a coach. It was probably one of the worst passes I've seen this season, from any body

give me a break, it was one mistake, in a solid game from him... bench him for one bad throw, ridiculous
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:34 am
  • 1. Get a franchise wide receiver. Sidney Rice is good, but I don't think he's consistent enough to be considered your franchise receiver. Like Larry Fitzgerald is to the Cardinals or Calvin Johnson and the Lions. Guys that always come through, every game. Who can catch passes that are barely catchable.. I would be willing to use a 1st round pick if there was a wide receiver worth picking in the 1st round. A guy that can quickly build a reputation and begin to draw double coverage around the league. We really need a WR like that, to open the field for us. Gotta be careful though because there tends to be quite a bit of 1st round busts in the WR position. Guys like Heyward-Bey, Mike Williams and some still argue Crabtree because of his inconsistency.

2. Strengthen the offensive line. I would find a solid right tackle and use Breno as a backup or just get rid of him. He's hurting the team with all his penalties, and although he doesn't get beat often, when he does its usually on a critical play. Like yesterday when the guy went round around him and nearly sacked Russ in the end zone.. Okung and Unger are the only two I wouldn't consider replacing. McQuistan isn't bad either, but he would be considered as a depth player on teams with good O-lines. Anyway, a good RT and offensive guard (right or left) would be nice to grab between the 2nd and 5th round.

3. Dig deep into the free-agent wire, pay attention to undrafted free-agents and be open to trades. If we can get Bowe from Kansas City this off-season, then we could grab a 'diamond in the rough' type receiver in the 6th or 7th round. Just like that our problem at WR could be solved. Bowe #1 and Rice #2 would be great because Rice would be matched up against a team's #2 cornerback. Right now he's ;inning up against our opponent's best CB.. Some teams with weaker corners actually put Bowe under double coverage. CB and FS on Bowe + SS playing in the box = Sidney Rice beating the #2 CB on him and getting open deep. Russ has the arm and deep accuracy to hit Rice almost every time.

4. Add depth, everywhere... Our defense may be arguably the best in the league. But you can always get better. We could be one injury away from falling out of the 'Top D in the NFL' spot. I think our LB's and D-line would be okay if they lost a guy. If Wagner went down, then KJ Wright could play inside linebacker. Or if Red Bryant got hurt, Bruce Irvin could learn and condition to be an every down DE. The only thing that i'm worried about is our secondary. It is perfect, but one missing guy could really hurt. Losing Earl Thomas could be devastating. Who do we have that could fill that kind of void? Our safeties are finely tuned and custom built into the defensive scheme; Speed (Thomas) and Power (Chancellor). Thomas is our safety net. The guy who has consistently kept teams from connecting deep balls.

5. Find a different offensive coordinator. One who can create an offensive strategy that uses Russell Wilson's skill set better. Bevel doesn't seem like he can do that. The only time Bevel's system worked was with a future hall of fame QB, Brett Favre. But Favre could make almost any playbook and offensive scheme work if you just give him 1 good receiver and a decent O-line. Favre could take the bare minimum needed for success and make it work. I heard that when Favre got to New York, to play for the Jets, he got the new playbook on a Tuesday night and had it down by Friday's practice. He then mastered the Vikings playbook in a similar time frame. Dude was a master of the quarterbacking art. So its no surprise Bevel looked great with Favre, and if it wasn't for that season, I highly doubt Bevel would be in Seattle today.

Hasselbeck needs to retire and come back to Seattle to either be a QB coach or coordinate the offense. He's a very intelligent guy with lots of football knowledge. I think he'd be a better coordinator (or even coach) than he was a player.
    ~ The Stache'
    Zowert
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:06 am
  • If we have Roddy White, Tony Gonzales and Julio Jones, good chance we're 6-0 right now. Really good chance.

I'm ready to trade for a stud instead of hoping on a draft pick. WRs in drafts are extremely sketchy, unless they are 6'5 and played in the SEC or at GaTech. I'd rather find a guy who has established studness.

Victor Cruz
    Mike Wallace
    Dwayne Bowe
    Wes Welker
    Greg Jennings
    Ramses Barden

All FA after the season.
    LoneHawkFan
    NET Rookie

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:19 am
  • Interesting note on those wanting a right tackle. Locklear looked pretty darn good for the Giants in their crushing of the 49ers on Sunday. He's playing for somebody that is injured I think, but with the right coach (Cable) do you think he might have been the answer still at RT? He's not old by any means. I was really surprised we let him go. He had a down couple of seasons, but he had nobody next to him. He also always seemed more comfortable at right guard to me. I think Rob Sims is another guy that we could use.

How much better would our line as a whole be with Rob Sims at RG and Lock at RT right now? Any? I think it couldn't be worse. In fact, I'd say it would be quite a bit better overall as Sims and Locklear would have really gelled by now, and the Moffitt draft pick could have been taken back, and we wouldn't have wasted a year trying Carp on the right side, and could have inserted him at left guard from day 1.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:59 am
  • Victor Cruz
    Mike Wallace
    Dwayne Bowe
    Wes Welker
    Greg Jennings
    Ramses Barden

Wallace and Bowe are the only two who are going to be realistically available. But that's just my opinion. I'd rather have Victor Cruz and salsa though.
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:57 pm
  • No doubt about us needing help at WR.I think we need to upgrade this oline as well.We are using our high priced TE to help out the tackles way to often.Even in the running game Lynch was breaking tackles near the line of scrimmage.He had an amazing game last night and the yards dont tell the whole story.He earned every one of them.
    But I want olineman every draft.Cant have too many.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:09 pm
  • firebee wrote:Excuse me... 3 drops by our receivers????

Officially (broadcast) it was three drops by WRs. Definitions vary, but for example I wouldn't call Braylon's near TD a drop. It was a phenomenal play that he almost caught it surrounded by 49ers, and he did catch it- but the ball was knocked out of his hands by a 49ers helmet.

You are excused. 8)
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Previous

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:41 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information