Drafting A Receiver Should Be Our #1 Priority Next Year

Sturm

Reaction score
Our biggest problem right now is that our receivers either aren't getting open or are dropping passes.

We paid Sydney Rice $40MM to come here and be our #1 receiver and the guy has been either hurt or underwhelming when out on the field. I think we all expected to see more plays like the one on Sunday, juking out opposing DBs and scoring TDs. He should be an 80-90 catch, 10 TD guy on our team but he's not. I don't think there's any way our coaching staff pays him the rest of that contract next year. Either he takes a pay cut, they trade him, or he's cut.

As for Tate, well...he's never going to be great. He was overrated coming out of ND and he's a #3 guy at best right now and he'll never be much good until he learns to run routes.

We need that one guy who we can rely on to make those 4th quarter grabs for game-winning drives and catch 90 balls a year and we just don't have that right now. I thought Rice would be that guy but he's shown nothing so far and we're almost halfway into the season. How he did so good that year playing with Favre I'll never know. But I don't see him getting any better with this team because he should already be at the point where he's producing...and he's not.

So either we spend a #1 pick on a WR or we get one through FA but something needs to be done next year to fix our #1 problem.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Everytime they show Rice he's open. We just don't throw to him. It's always deep throws or short throws. Rice seems to always be open in the intermediate route but never gets the balls.

Rather than WR, give me a 3-tech DT. No push in the middle. Mebane is a great 1-tech, but we need a Rocky Benard type tackle to compliment him.

Slick

Reaction score
I've asked this question so many times: Would we have been better off with Kellen Winslow Jr. in this game?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I imagine that the next draft will be heavy on play makers. Not just WR, but I think we need TEs that are better than McCoy and Moore.

Yes, McCoy...since that TD catch against Dallas, where the heck has he been?

With the 4-5 year rebuild plan JS has talked about, it's clear the 4th draft is where they will address the offensive skill positions.

We could use an upgrade from Giacomini too. He's serviceable and good for depth, but shouldn't be a starter.

aku

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":182kbm25 said:
Yes, McCoy...since that TD catch against Dallas, where the heck has he been?
On the bench. 20 snaps over seven games now. That's including blocking plays and everything. He's just not being used. Does that mean he sucks? I don't know. He had 5 receptions for 41 yards and a TD against Dallas. Seems to me like they're just not getting him out there.

We definitely need to add some talent to the offense. But if we're not going to use it, is it really going to help? Bevell has a big shiny toy in Zach Miller but he hasn't seemed to make any real effort to feature him. Hard to know whether that's because of Bevell or Wilson, but one way or another we need to make better use of the play makers we already have, IMO.

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
I miss Kellen Winslow. Seeing him score in the preseason just makes me wish we could get some production from our TEs.

New England we are NOT.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawksfanatik":173a1r53 said:
I miss Kellen Winslow. Seeing him score in the preseason just makes me wish we could get some production from our TEs.

New England we are NOT.

Tate has more TD's than Winslow this year.

Hamhawk

Reaction score
unless we have a top 10 draft pick I don't know if we can get a #1 WR,...getting a great WR in the draft is about as difficult as finding a QB, imho

JKent82

Reaction score
Kellen Winslow is still not on an NFL roster. I don't guys...

Though I do think we need another very good receiver.

ensett

Reaction score
Winslow has more catches this season than Evan Moore
oops!

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
I was gonna start this topic if nobody else did. Although I had to work so I couldn't see the game, it SOUNDED LIKE there were many plays in which everyone on the offense executed perfectly - the ball is delivered into the rec's hands, and the asshole just doesn't haul it in. Golden-shower Tate especially. That is one dude who aughta get his contract restructured. He also got an offsides penalty.

The Radish

Reaction score
You know we had that guy on the team in the past. But I'm sure our FO decided he was to old and to slow even tho he was a GREAT keep the chains moving guy.

Sadly he is in Denver now being used just like always only its Peyton Manning that's throwing to him.

Brandon Stokely

:141847_bnono:

Lithium

Reaction score
yeah 3 guys (Miller, Rice, Edwards) who had no problem getting open with their other teams are now suddenly all incapable of getting open. OR the QB just doesnt throw it when they are. ive seen the games so the later is the answer. yes the drops were the main problem yesterday and WR is an area of concern but its more than they simply dont get open

Happypuppy

Reaction score
It takes a couple years for most Receivers to be good. Look at Jerry Rice, Irvin etc. I say sign or trade for one. However I still would sign a Reciever and TE very high.

Seahawks - Please keep Obo and and our Winslow replacement on the bench
Special teams only

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Happypuppy":27izriat said:
It takes a couple years for most Receivers to be good. Look at Jerry Rice, Irvin etc. I say sign or trade for one. However I still would sign a Reciever and TE very high.

I think that was true 20 years ago. In todays NFL WR's make immediate impacts. Just take a look at last years 1st round group for example. WR's and QBs are much more ahead of the game now then they were when Rice & Irvin played.

SeahawkDreadlocks

Reaction score
WR should probably be our first pick. Or a TE if we decide that we actually want to utilize that position...

I'm probably the minority on this, but we might need to consider taking a LT next draft. Okung has been drawing WAY too many penalties and just hasn't looked great at all. I could just be overreacting to a bad start to the season and he might pick it up as the season goes on or maybe even a year or two down the road, but right now I'm far from impressed.

Latest posts