Am I the only one that is surprised at our run D?

kf3339

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":iarvkmwg said:
I didnt think they would be able to run like they did. I got the feeling they could have ran it all day had they wanted to. Yes we held them to 13 points so I am not bitching about our defense. But is anyone else surprised, and yet concerned, about how easily it seamed we were ran on at will?

The run defense up the middle was surprising to me as well. But if the whole game we only gave up one TD and two FG's that is a pretty good effort.

I'm still more concerned about our offense and how we can't seem to develop a consistent effort week in, week out on that side of the ball.

JKent82

Reaction score
Particularly in the late second half they were running quick hitters and our defense was slicing upfield instead of staying at home. Just got a little aggressive which you can't really blame in that part of the game.

Surprised the hell out of me though, not used to seeing that.

Also Iupati is a beast, that was a beautiful pull he had, so nimble for such a big man.

manders2600

Reaction score
From a 49er fan's perspective:

San Francisco's passing game stalled in the first half, in large part, because Seattle's physical corners were getting away with a lot of holding and PI, and at one point Alex Smith threw incomplete when a D-Lineman grabbed his face mask. Alex Smith also missed Kyle Williams a couple of times deep in the 1st quarter, but the number of times San Francisco's WR's were in a good position down the field prevented Seattle from jumping on the shorter routes.

At half-time, realizing the refs were not going to call many penalties on contact down the field, San Francisco made the necessary adjustments. The disadvantage of being overly physical on WR's routes is that the WR's have an easier time blocking, since they are in better position to do so. Usually when you see runs and check-downs going for decent yardage, it means that WR's are blocking CB's down-field.

Seattle's LB's are not terrible, but clearly are the weakest area of a very good, very physical defense. This gets hidden a lot of the time due to the speed and physicality of the D-Line and secondary, but when San Francisco was able to win on those levels, the LB's were exposed. They simply were not going to be able to stop the run without more help from the secondary and D-Line, while also trying to cover the short routes in the passing game.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
BlueTalon":312z1pvh said:
Seahawk Sailor":312z1pvh said:
Credit a great offensive run game and run blocking. They did a thorough job, and we didn't.
That's the bottom line.

As an added theory...

I think it might be the football gods at work.

You know how we never let Steven Jackson do anything against us? How he's been stonewalled against Seattle his entire career, even when our defense was nothing special?

Well, in payment for that luxury, the football gods have made us extra susceptible to Frank Gore.

hawk45

Reaction score
I wasn't happy with how well they ran the ball against us but I'm not concerned in general and I won't be unless I see other teams not named SF do it to us.

In specific though I'm am peeing in my pants worrying about them doing it to us when we play them next.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
hawk45":1lk1widz said:
I wasn't happy with how well they ran the ball against us but I'm not concerned in general and I won't be unless I see other teams not named SF do it to us.

In specific though I'm am peeing in my pants worrying about them doing it to us when we play them next.

Won't happen in the CLink.

Largent80

Reaction score
That is what a good o-line will do for you. The "experts" around here always think that we are ok, or even good, and we simply are not.

You saw what they did to our very good D-line.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
SuperBowlXLChamps":2mh5twti said:
Not concerned at all. They scored 13 points, the defense was fine.

If only everything was as simple as just looking at a number and making a conclusion.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
3 days of practice. (If that.) The 49ers can throw a lot of looks because of that beastly O-line, and our linebackers needed to see a lot more of it in practice. It wouldn't have solved the issue completely, but I have a feeling they would have stayed home a lot better.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
manders2600":106tlx0v said:
From a 49er fan's perspective:

San Francisco's passing game stalled in the first half, in large part, because Seattle's physical corners were getting away with a lot of holding and PI, and at one point Alex Smith threw incomplete when a D-Lineman grabbed his face mask. Alex Smith also missed Kyle Williams a couple of times deep in the 1st quarter, but the number of times San Francisco's WR's were in a good position down the field prevented Seattle from jumping on the shorter routes.

At half-time, realizing the refs were not going to call many penalties on contact down the field, San Francisco made the necessary adjustments. The disadvantage of being overly physical on WR's routes is that the WR's have an easier time blocking, since they are in better position to do so. Usually when you see runs and check-downs going for decent yardage, it means that WR's are blocking CB's down-field.

Seattle's LB's are not terrible, but clearly are the weakest area of a very good, very physical defense. This gets hidden a lot of the time due to the speed and physicality of the D-Line and secondary, but when San Francisco was able to win on those levels, the LB's were exposed. They simply were not going to be able to stop the run without more help from the secondary and D-Line, while also trying to cover the short routes in the passing game.
Spot on. You're right, brother. That is exactly what happened.

Basis4day

Reaction score
It was a short week. Sunday's game took a toll on both sides. Not surprised at all that they were able to run the ball, same as us.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
Did anyone else see the Seahawks run on the vaunted Niners run defense with similar results? Elite rushing offenses will get theirs. Both did last night.

2nd in the league in rush defense going in and the best rushing team in the league has a good day at home against them and now it's a concern??? What a ridiculous thread this is.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I always hate seeing Frank Gore active against the 'hawks. I'm not exactly sure how well he's done against Seattle in recent years. It just ALWAYS seems like he has his best games against this team!

(A bit off topic) My friend was complaining about how frank gore is a mediocre fantasy player, and I told him he has two awesome fantasy games a season...the days he plays Seattle.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
SF was 'I think' leading the league in rushing offense with 179 yards per game average, I could be wrong though.

OP
OP
Tech Worlds

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
MLOhawks":kujraym3 said:
SF was 'I think' leading the league in rushing offense with 179 yards per game average, I could be wrong though.

oh so i guess we should just accept getting gashed then. I got it.

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
Since i was out to sea and couldn't watch the Carolina and Patriots game i rewatched them. The biggest runs i seen in those games? Right up the middle. I think the 49ers keyed on that and it is really becoming a concern to me. Now teams haven't been able to run sideline to sideline on us but where there is a significant run for a big gain it does seem to be up the middle without a doubt. Missed gaps shouldn't happen but i think the 49ers Heavy or Jumbo sets really confused our boys. I have faith PC and Bradley will get that fixed the next time around. I think we should have allowed our LB to play Man to Man coverage more because all the 49ers were doing was bringing 3 guys up through the middle of the formation using play action out of the back field in those full house sets. If the LBs are man to man that doesn't and should not happen. It's ok though i am pretty sure we will stomp a mud hole in their ass at Clink. Just need to get a couple victories going into the bye get the boys some rest and kick ass those remaining games most of which are at home. We have good shot at the playoffs if we pick up some wins before the bye.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":171z1i85 said:
MLOhawks":171z1i85 said:

oh so i guess we should just accept getting gashed then. I got it.

No, but S.F. knew they weren't going to be able to throw on us, so they focused on the run even more. When you have an all-world O-line, you can do that, unfortunately. : /

uncle fester

Reaction score
I remember in the 3rd Q thinking 'Why aren't they throwing the ball to Vernon Davis?' Then after a cold hard look at things today, I realise it was possibly because they didn't have to.

Fair play to SF (as has already been noted) they found a weakness and exploited it. You have to give credit where it's due. Still say Harbaugh's a whiny little bitch though.