Drafting A Receiver Should Be Our #1 Priority Next Year

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Our biggest problem right now is that our receivers either aren't getting open or are dropping passes.

We paid Sydney Rice $40MM to come here and be our #1 receiver and the guy has been either hurt or underwhelming when out on the field. I think we all expected to see more plays like the one on Sunday, juking out opposing DBs and scoring TDs. He should be an 80-90 catch, 10 TD guy on our team but he's not. I don't think there's any way our coaching staff pays him the rest of that contract next year. Either he takes a pay cut, they trade him, or he's cut.

As for Tate, well...he's never going to be great. He was overrated coming out of ND and he's a #3 guy at best right now and he'll never be much good until he learns to run routes.

We need that one guy who we can rely on to make those 4th quarter grabs for game-winning drives and catch 90 balls a year and we just don't have that right now. I thought Rice would be that guy but he's shown nothing so far and we're almost halfway into the season. How he did so good that year playing with Favre I'll never know. But I don't see him getting any better with this team because he should already be at the point where he's producing...and he's not.

So either we spend a #1 pick on a WR or we get one through FA but something needs to be done next year to fix our #1 problem.
    Sturm
    NET Veteran

• Everytime they show Rice he's open. We just don't throw to him. It's always deep throws or short throws. Rice seems to always be open in the intermediate route but never gets the balls.

Rather than WR, give me a 3-tech DT. No push in the middle. Mebane is a great 1-tech, but we need a Rocky Benard type tackle to compliment him.
    Wazzu Sucks, Oregon Swallows!!!!
    ludakrishna
    NET Veteran

• I've asked this question so many times: Would we have been better off with Kellen Winslow Jr. in this game?
    Slick
    NET Veteran

• Slick wrote:I've asked this question so many times: Would we have been better off with Kellen Winslow Jr. in this game?

Yes.
    Wazzu Sucks, Oregon Swallows!!!!
    ludakrishna
    NET Veteran

• I imagine that the next draft will be heavy on play makers. Not just WR, but I think we need TEs that are better than McCoy and Moore.

Yes, McCoy...since that TD catch against Dallas, where the heck has he been?

With the 4-5 year rebuild plan JS has talked about, it's clear the 4th draft is where they will address the offensive skill positions.

We could use an upgrade from Giacomini too. He's serviceable and good for depth, but shouldn't be a starter.
    @SeahawkGreg

GIVE US YOUR PINK SLIP, SANTA CLARA WHINERS. WE OWN YOU
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• FlyingGreg wrote:Yes, McCoy...since that TD catch against Dallas, where the heck has he been?

On the bench. 20 snaps over seven games now. That's including blocking plays and everything. He's just not being used. Does that mean he sucks? I don't know. He had 5 receptions for 41 yards and a TD against Dallas. Seems to me like they're just not getting him out there.

We definitely need to add some talent to the offense. But if we're not going to use it, is it really going to help? Bevell has a big shiny toy in Zach Miller but he hasn't seemed to make any real effort to feature him. Hard to know whether that's because of Bevell or Wilson, but one way or another we need to make better use of the play makers we already have, IMO.
    aku
    NET Rookie

• I miss Kellen Winslow. Seeing him score in the preseason just makes me wish we could get some production from our TEs.

New England we are NOT.
    WE ALL WE GOT! WE ALL WE NEED!
    Hawksfanatik
    NET Veteran

• Hawksfanatik wrote:I miss Kellen Winslow. Seeing him score in the preseason just makes me wish we could get some production from our TEs.

New England we are NOT.

Tate has more TD's than Winslow this year.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• unless we have a top 10 draft pick I don't know if we can get a #1 WR,...getting a great WR in the draft is about as difficult as finding a QB, imho
    Hamhawk
    NET Veteran

• Kellen Winslow is still not on an NFL roster. I don't guys...

Though I do think we need another very good receiver.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

• Koren Robinson
    ak3000
    NET Veteran

• Winslow has more catches this season than Evan Moore
    oops!
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran

• I was gonna start this topic if nobody else did. Although I had to work so I couldn't see the game, it SOUNDED LIKE there were many plays in which everyone on the offense executed perfectly - the ball is delivered into the rec's hands, and the asshole just doesn't haul it in. Golden-shower Tate especially. That is one dude who aughta get his contract restructured. He also got an offsides penalty.
    5 NINERS HEAD COACHES WHO COULD KEEP THE SEAHAWKS RIVALRY ALIVE
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/12/17/ ... lry-alive/
    Follow me on Twitter:
    @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

• You know we had that guy on the team in the past. But I'm sure our FO decided he was to old and to slow even tho he was a GREAT keep the chains moving guy.

Sadly he is in Denver now being used just like always only its Peyton Manning that's throwing to him.

Brandon Stokely

:141847_bnono:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• yeah 3 guys (Miller, Rice, Edwards) who had no problem getting open with their other teams are now suddenly all incapable of getting open. OR the QB just doesnt throw it when they are. ive seen the games so the later is the answer. yes the drops were the main problem yesterday and WR is an area of concern but its more than they simply dont get open
    Lithium
    NET Veteran

• It takes a couple years for most Receivers to be good. Look at Jerry Rice, Irvin etc. I say sign or trade for one. However I still would sign a Reciever and TE very high.

Seahawks - Please keep Obo and and our Winslow replacement on the bench
    Special teams only
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• Happypuppy wrote:It takes a couple years for most Receivers to be good. Look at Jerry Rice, Irvin etc. I say sign or trade for one. However I still would sign a Reciever and TE very high.

I think that was true 20 years ago. In todays NFL WR's make immediate impacts. Just take a look at last years 1st round group for example. WR's and QBs are much more ahead of the game now then they were when Rice & Irvin played.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• Along with a RT
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran

• I will be in the minority but I'm hoping for a DT or RT.
    Formerly known as Seahawk425.
    CodeWarrior
    NET Veteran

• WR should probably be our first pick. Or a TE if we decide that we actually want to utilize that position...

I'm probably the minority on this, but we might need to consider taking a LT next draft. Okung has been drawing WAY too many penalties and just hasn't looked great at all. I could just be overreacting to a bad start to the season and he might pick it up as the season goes on or maybe even a year or two down the road, but right now I'm far from impressed.
    SeahawkDreadlocks
    NET Practice Squad

• BPA! BPA! BPA!
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• The mock site walterfootball.com previously had us taking Robert Woods, WR USC at pick 15, and now has us taking Terrance Williams, WR Baylor at pick 23 (Woods goes to the Sheep at 19), thoughts?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain.

"Beast Mode is artist, puny Saints Defense merely his canvas!"

"When you die the only kingdom you'll see, will be two foot wide and six foot deep!"
    HawksSoc
    NET Veteran

• I would rather us either sit where we are and draft an OT or trade up for Brandon Coleman from Rutgers if he comes out. Coleman is a 6'6" WR who is fast. Could be the next megatron. I would be willing to risk trading a 1st, 3rd, 4th, and next years 2014 2nd and 3rd for this guy.
    Kelly.Orr
    NET Starter

• Keep your eye on this guy...
    San Fransisco. Still partying like it's 1981.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

• Mistashoesta wrote:Keep your eye on this guy...

Think he may be an amazing #2 or slot guy. Has amazing acceleration and explosiveness and agility. But his top end isn't elite. Like the kid and wouldn't mind having him start opposite of Sidney if we did draft him. I think he would be a better kick returner than Leon also. Be a 2 for 1 upgrade.
    Kelly.Orr
    NET Starter

• A sticky-handed WR and TE ( really doesn't matter the size, as long as they can catch reliably), some oline backup and dline backups to be coachable to become starters in the future .
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

• Slick wrote:I've asked this question so many times: Would we have been better off with Kellen Winslow Jr. in this game?

I had the same thoughts when watching this game.
    HAWKNUTZ
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• How would we be better with a TE that doesn't practice or pass a physical?

I think the general point of this thread is correct - we need offensive playmakers that fit the system who are better than the generally rag-tag crew of receivers we have now. We definitely need an upgrade over Braylon Edwards and at TE.

At the same time however, we have an offense that is led by a QB in his 6th game in a new system. Even Peyton Manning is having issues adapting to new personnel and a new offensive philosophy. He throws some bad throws and his WRs aren't always on the same page.

Given that, I'd like to see how this team develops over the 16 game season in the system to see where are glaring needs are.

Another issue is that I just don't have the wide angle view on games so the WRs are notoriously difficult to scout. What if they are getting open but Wilson is too slow to react at this point? I can't say as, of course, TV only shows a downfield view or alternate reeceiver once in a while. What I can say is that in the air - I think we acutally have great WRs.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• ludakrishna wrote:
    Slick wrote:I've asked this question so many times: Would we have been better off with Kellen Winslow Jr. in this game?

Yes.

We used to have Stokley (Peyton Manning swears by him) but Carroll and Schneider wanted fast black dudes that cant catch. I'm not impressed with Edwards , just like the other 3-4 teams before we picked him up. I would defeinately say receiver is an issue for Seattle. It is the one position that has been kind of looked over IMO.
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

• Considering our philosophy:

Needs: Big bodied freakish speed WR, RT
    Wants: Big bodied freakish TE, RG
    Depth/Rotation: DL

Needs: Clems eventual replacement
    Wants: Leroy Replacement
    Depth: ???
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• I also advocate the drafting of Woods. We will have to move up, preferrably offering someone in trade (?) but if we have to throw in a pick, I think we are positioned to do so. I've admired Pete's methodology in foregoing the so called "sexy picks" and Woods would fall into such catagory, but this kid is the realo dealo and being as anti-SC as one can get, I don't say that without alot of consideration. He runs routes as well or better than anyone we have on the roster at this time and his upside is huge. Will Bevell get him the ball is the question.

There are a few pieces missing in this badass D, but they can likely be addressed in FA. It's time for Pete, IMO, to bring some teeth to this pedestrian offense. I'm not worried about Wilson (or Flynn), they just need more reps and I am confident can develope into all around QBs. I am worried about the likes of Tate and Obo. Edwards I don't worry about...he's one and done. I'd be for trading Tate and probably keeping Obo (largely for ST). Rice and Woods would be formidable, even stretching the field. With Baldwin in the slot (and anothe FA WR), we could use another high pick in solidifying the line. That would give us (back) Miller as a weapon as well.

I sincerely believe the above puts us deep into the playoffs...if not more. Let's not get too crazy about this year and whether or not we have a QB, etc. This is a process and some of us are getting a bit greedy in demanding pro-bowl results from our Rook. But if he don't finish at .500 or above, we may have to get Flynn the majority of first team looks in 2013. Yes, I know this stymies Wilson's progress, but I also believe the team above should win immediately and consistantly. I know Flynn, if not Wilson, would achieve this.

EDIT: Woods lit it up today with 4 tds, becoming USC's all time leading WR. Poised, humble and spread the props to the rest of his team during post game interview. I'd love to see him opposite Rice. We'd probably have to trade up 6-12 spots. I'd offer our 1st and Tate to get it done.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• Need a Welker type, but then again who wouldn't.

Obo was been around here enough still unimpressed and Tate ...well could trade him to GB or Dallas those teams fans would love that =) ?
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

• morgulon1 wrote:
    ludakrishna wrote:
    Slick wrote:I've asked this question so many times: Would we have been better off with Kellen Winslow Jr. in this game?

Yes.

We used to have Stokley (Peyton Manning swears by him) but Carroll and Schneider wanted fast black dudes that cant catch. I'm not impressed with Edwards , just like the other 3-4 teams before we picked him up. I would defeinately say receiver is an issue for Seattle. It is the one position that has been kind of looked over IMO.

Peyton swears by him. Hass made him his go to guy. We let him go. Bad evaluation skills or are our receivers better than we give them credit for?
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• CodeWarrior wrote:I will be in the minority but I'm hoping for a DT or RT.

me three. cant go wrong with a diminate dt or olineman. Never liked the drafting of wideouts. A good qb makes bad receivers better.
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• I'm not a fan of 1st Rd WRs in general. What I'm really not a fan of is setting drfdt priorities in October after a loss. ;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

31 other teams in the league sure do not be in any hurry to sign Winslow
    warden
    NET Veteran

• CodeWarrior wrote:I will be in the minority but I'm hoping for a DT or RT.

I agree with a OT but I also think Guard is a need, can have all the receivers in the world, if you don't have time to throw it wont matter. However can't deny that they need weapons as well.
    BAllenHawk
    NET Rookie

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:48 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information