#1 priority in the off season

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I caught the last 10 mins. of the game at work. With about a minute to go, Nessler read RW's stats and then said "but keep in mind he had 6 passes dropped tonight". Then on the way home, the local sports talk station played a comment from Mark Schlereth (who I respect GREATLY) (likely from his radio show tonight) and he stated "Wilson had a much better game than the stats indicate. He had 2 balls dropped in the first half that should've been touchdowns. The Seahawks should've been up like 14-3 at that point and if they had been it could've been a far different outcome".

That sounds to me like exactly what Rob had in mind when he started this thread. This is an area that needs an upgrade.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
On the INT... I agree Edwards gave up on it. Especially if it was tipped, you HAVE to become a defender at that point. They are only going to penalize you for it, but as soon as he knew he had no shot, he gave up. He should have been offensively pass interfering like a mo-fo on that play.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3pf5v4pl said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3pf5v4pl said:
- Braylon Edwards... gave up on the pick too easily. Sure, bad decision by RW. But I thought this was 'personal' for Edwards per twitter?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WHAT THE HELL WAS HE SUPPOSED TO DO? Wilson threw it over his head into triple coverage!

He gave up on the play. I'm not blaming him, I'm not saying he should've caught it, but head down trotting away from the ball when it's thrown was not ideal effort from the guy. It wouldn't have hurt to try and break it up and bail the rookie out. If he doesn't succeed, so what? He tried.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Dropped passes are killers. This game was reminiscent of the early Holmgren years when Djack and KRob were dropping what seemed like everything that was thrown their way.

Our WR's need to be held accountable. As bad as the drops were last night, Tate's blown assignment(s), specifically on the bubble screen to Obo was HORRENDOUS. He didn't even look like he was giving an effort on it, then put his hands on his hips and (I hope I'm wrong about this) but began to point to a different WR (Rice, I believe) when Obomanu got up and got in his face. Tate is a major negative factor right now. He needs to step it up and do his job.

Rice is making plays, but when we're only throwing 23 passes a game, he's not getting the chances a typical #1 WR should get. He's working hard out there, and deserves more chances.

As far as a trade is concerned, in-season deals are rare, and difficult to come by. It would also cost us much more, in terms of draft picks, to pull off a trade right now. We need to coach up our guys. Perhaps Tate needs to get back to returning kicks and punts. Perhaps Edwards needs more time in the offense. Perhaps Charlie Martin needs to be given more reps. And perhaps we need to give Winslow a phone call, get him back in Seattle. Evan Moore isn't doing much to present himself as an offensive weapon.

Just my two pennies worth...

Bipolar

Reaction score
overreacting much?

first and foremost, we played the pissed off 49ers in San Francisco. just keep that in mind before you begin ranting. no ifs or buts, its the damn 9ers with their rock solid pass rush and secondary. Russell did NOT feel comfortable the entire damn game.

now on the recievers... I didn't watch the entire game (cause I was in the middle of drinking with buddies and also switched back and forth between the Seahawks and the Oregon game), but here is what I saw.

the three major drops that I remembered:

1) Turbin - a rookie RB not making the big play like he needs to, while catching the ball 20 yards from scrimmage? give the guy some break, its not exactly his area of expertise. We gambled on that one and it just didn't pay off. I am sure he doesnt catch these types of balls 100% of the time even in practice. he is an excellent RB for a 4th round pick and I am perfectly content with him not being a second coming of Ray Rice or LeSean McCoy. he is a great player with lots of potential and I still REALLY llike him no matter what.

2) Moore - ok a 3rd string TE not catching the ball in tight coverage. he blew it, no doubt about it, but hey, he is a 3rd stringer for a reason. He will not be consistent and I am sure he will improve... He has been on our team for how long, like a couple of months? The jury is still out on him, he made a mental mistake, but it is not a reason to put him into the dog house.

3) Golden Tate - yeah, he had a shitty game. He is not as consistent we wish he was. He singlehandedly won us a couple of games already with insane catches that we will remember forever, but didn't deliver yesterday. what do you propose, cutting him? PLEASE.

I am a lot more concerned with lack of production from Sidney Rice. He is the best reciever we have on our team and he has done practically nothing. Is this really because he was double-covered, couldnt separate himself, or was it because RW just couldnt get the ball to him? Perhaps a combination of all three. but he really is a legit #1 WR and we need to get him involved a lot more often.

hawk45

Reaction score
I don't want to cut Tate, I want to find a receiver in the offseason who can be more consistent so that Tate can be a situational player next year or less. I think finding a guy to replace Tate who is an upgrade in terms of consistency would be a big help.

Yeah Rice is a special player and since he's healthy I'd like to see a lot more go his way.

Bipolar

Reaction score
hawk45":3cz836db said:
I don't want to cut Tate, I want to find a receiver in the offseason who can be more consistent so that Tate can be a situational player next year or less. I think finding a guy to replace Tate who is an upgrade in terms of consistency would be a big help.

Tate by himself (from raw skills standpoint) is extremely good, an exact mold of Steve Smith. his problem is consistency. he is either a boom or bust, we know that.

if you really want a MORE CONSISTENT Golden Tate, be prepared to cough out a 1st round pick for a player of that caliber and hope he pans out. but, with this front office and the defensive-minded coach, do you really expect them to spend a 1st pick on an extremely talented WR? I don't think so.

chihawk

Reaction score
Drafting WR(s) is likely not going to solve much short term. They usually take some time before they get productive/reliable.

In the 2012 draft there were 33 WRs drafted. Out of those there are 2 WRs that I would consider being productive players in their first year (so far)...Kendall Wright and Alshon Jeffrey...maybe Stephen Hill but he has been very inconsistent.

The FA market looks pretty bad as well. I would love to see Bowe who will be a free agent but he is going to cost a lot of money. Greg Jennings will also be a FA but he has not been able to stay healthy the last few years. I believe Cruz will be a FA as well, but he will likely resign or cost a ton of money. That's basically it for the impact WRs on the FA market.

hawk45

Reaction score
I'm tapping out on this one, I was trying to disguise my emotional fan reaction as something other than emotional fan reaction.

Emotional fan reaction: Tate you sucked last night I want your ass fired.
Realism: Tate you sucked last night but aren't Mr. Droppy all the time so I'm not certain you're the problem in fact there may not even be a big WR problem let's wait and see what we do against defenses who aren't as kick-ass as the Niners and hopefully by the time we play them again RW has continued to improve and also our WRs and backs don't have such a flukey stupid dropsie day.

Bipolar

Reaction score
chihawk":2yyv5b5i said:
Drafting WR(s) is likely not going to solve much short term. They usually take some time before they get productive/reliable.

In the 2012 draft there were 33 WRs drafted. Out of those there are 2 WRs that I would consider being productive players in their first year (so far)...Kendall Wright and Alshon Jeffrey...maybe Stephen Hill but he has been very inconsistent.

OK but if you were to look at last year's draft, Julio Jones and AJ Green immediately come to mind. Randall Cobb was an excellent end of 2nd round pick as well for the Packers.

there are some players who you know will be able to deliver from the start, and ooze greatness.
I was talking about these type of WRs, whose upside is virtually unlimited. they all are 1st round pick material. the real question is not whether these players will be available in 2013, but whether or not our front office is prepared to invest in WRs. at this point, I am not at all convinced and suspect that they would want to squeeze the most out of what they have right now.

[Sidney Rice - Doug Baldwin - Golden Tate - Zach Miller] is not really that bad of a WR/TE core, they arent dominating, but they are probably the best in our division, at least on paper.

The FA market looks pretty bad as well. I would love to see Bowe who will be a free agent but he is going to cost a lot of money. Greg Jennings will also be a FA but he has not been able to stay healthy the last few years. I believe Cruz will be a FA as well, but he will likely resign or cost a ton of money. That's basically it for the impact WRs on the FA market.

I'll take Jennings or Bowe in a freaking heartbeat.

Largent80

Reaction score
AgentDib":3l8ihkty said:
Couldn't disagree more. Will revisit with specifics when the game is up tomorrow but right now my prediction is that over half of our passing plays were hurried, tipped or broken up by pressure.

This is what I saw most of the game. There were a few plays where they gave him time but SF's line showed what a good o-line can do.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Mike Wallace and draft Robert Woods. Boom, done. Can you imagine Mike Wallace with Wilson's cannon arm? :3:

Also, we need to heavily invest in a pass catching TE if one shows up on the board.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
All we need is to draft Tavon Austin and hope he grows from 5'9" to 6'3" in between the draft and the start of OTA's. :)

The kid has glue hands and man oh man can he run after making the catch. I'm sure he's just too much like Baldwin and Tate to be the kind of player this team needs. Probably a Sidney Rice sized guy... a Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall type guy is the #1 priority.

I don't know though.... Austin is pretty darned good. Just tiny. He reminds me a ton of Steve Smith, and Steve is a threat no matter where he is on the field. The kid gets catches and picks up YAC consistently. He might be the perfect guy for running those dumb screens we seem so fond of. He could drop quite a bit in the draft due to his lack of size (where have we heard that before?). Probably not the game changer many of you are looking for, but certainly he could be quite a piece of the puzzle if they are going to rebuild the receiver corps (replacing everybody but Rice and Baldwin wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility in my mind.... just as we've done across the DL, LBer's, and DB's over the last 2 years... now it's time to do it at WR perhaps).

hawker84

Reaction score
Hawks46":1d89evi2 said:
agree with razor150.

Wilson should've NEVER thrown that ball. Triple coverage, and oh...my bad, Edwards was supposed to run over 2 guys then the ball was 7 yards away from him ? That was the worst pass I've seen Wilson throw this season.

It was seriously bad enough, that I would've benched him for a series or a quarter and put Flynn in. You can't seriously just let that go as a coach. It was probably one of the worst passes I've seen this season, from any body

give me a break, it was one mistake, in a solid game from him... bench him for one bad throw, ridiculous

Zowert

Reaction score
1. Get a franchise wide receiver. Sidney Rice is good, but I don't think he's consistent enough to be considered your franchise receiver. Like Larry Fitzgerald is to the Cardinals or Calvin Johnson and the Lions. Guys that always come through, every game. Who can catch passes that are barely catchable.. I would be willing to use a 1st round pick if there was a wide receiver worth picking in the 1st round. A guy that can quickly build a reputation and begin to draw double coverage around the league. We really need a WR like that, to open the field for us. Gotta be careful though because there tends to be quite a bit of 1st round busts in the WR position. Guys like Heyward-Bey, Mike Williams and some still argue Crabtree because of his inconsistency.

2. Strengthen the offensive line. I would find a solid right tackle and use Breno as a backup or just get rid of him. He's hurting the team with all his penalties, and although he doesn't get beat often, when he does its usually on a critical play. Like yesterday when the guy went round around him and nearly sacked Russ in the end zone.. Okung and Unger are the only two I wouldn't consider replacing. McQuistan isn't bad either, but he would be considered as a depth player on teams with good O-lines. Anyway, a good RT and offensive guard (right or left) would be nice to grab between the 2nd and 5th round.

3. Dig deep into the free-agent wire, pay attention to undrafted free-agents and be open to trades. If we can get Bowe from Kansas City this off-season, then we could grab a 'diamond in the rough' type receiver in the 6th or 7th round. Just like that our problem at WR could be solved. Bowe #1 and Rice #2 would be great because Rice would be matched up against a team's #2 cornerback. Right now he's ;inning up against our opponent's best CB.. Some teams with weaker corners actually put Bowe under double coverage. CB and FS on Bowe + SS playing in the box = Sidney Rice beating the #2 CB on him and getting open deep. Russ has the arm and deep accuracy to hit Rice almost every time.

4. Add depth, everywhere... Our defense may be arguably the best in the league. But you can always get better. We could be one injury away from falling out of the 'Top D in the NFL' spot. I think our LB's and D-line would be okay if they lost a guy. If Wagner went down, then KJ Wright could play inside linebacker. Or if Red Bryant got hurt, Bruce Irvin could learn and condition to be an every down DE. The only thing that i'm worried about is our secondary. It is perfect, but one missing guy could really hurt. Losing Earl Thomas could be devastating. Who do we have that could fill that kind of void? Our safeties are finely tuned and custom built into the defensive scheme; Speed (Thomas) and Power (Chancellor). Thomas is our safety net. The guy who has consistently kept teams from connecting deep balls.

5. Find a different offensive coordinator. One who can create an offensive strategy that uses Russell Wilson's skill set better. Bevel doesn't seem like he can do that. The only time Bevel's system worked was with a future hall of fame QB, Brett Favre. But Favre could make almost any playbook and offensive scheme work if you just give him 1 good receiver and a decent O-line. Favre could take the bare minimum needed for success and make it work. I heard that when Favre got to New York, to play for the Jets, he got the new playbook on a Tuesday night and had it down by Friday's practice. He then mastered the Vikings playbook in a similar time frame. Dude was a master of the quarterbacking art. So its no surprise Bevel looked great with Favre, and if it wasn't for that season, I highly doubt Bevel would be in Seattle today.

Hasselbeck needs to retire and come back to Seattle to either be a QB coach or coordinate the offense. He's a very intelligent guy with lots of football knowledge. I think he'd be a better coordinator (or even coach) than he was a player.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
If we have Roddy White, Tony Gonzales and Julio Jones, good chance we're 6-0 right now. Really good chance.

I'm ready to trade for a stud instead of hoping on a draft pick. WRs in drafts are extremely sketchy, unless they are 6'5 and played in the SEC or at GaTech. I'd rather find a guy who has established studness.

Victor Cruz
Mike Wallace
Dwayne Bowe
Wes Welker
Greg Jennings
Ramses Barden

All FA after the season.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Interesting note on those wanting a right tackle. Locklear looked pretty darn good for the Giants in their crushing of the 49ers on Sunday. He's playing for somebody that is injured I think, but with the right coach (Cable) do you think he might have been the answer still at RT? He's not old by any means. I was really surprised we let him go. He had a down couple of seasons, but he had nobody next to him. He also always seemed more comfortable at right guard to me. I think Rob Sims is another guy that we could use.

How much better would our line as a whole be with Rob Sims at RG and Lock at RT right now? Any? I think it couldn't be worse. In fact, I'd say it would be quite a bit better overall as Sims and Locklear would have really gelled by now, and the Moffitt draft pick could have been taken back, and we wouldn't have wasted a year trying Carp on the right side, and could have inserted him at left guard from day 1.

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
Victor Cruz
Mike Wallace
Dwayne Bowe
Wes Welker
Greg Jennings
Ramses Barden

Wallace and Bowe are the only two who are going to be realistically available. But that's just my opinion. I'd rather have Victor Cruz and salsa though.