Close to being a completely different game.

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • The "Game of Inches" cliche contains more than an ounce of truth. Turn half of those drops into catches, and the Hawks maintain drives and score more points. Between the Turbin and Moore drops, we probably lost at least 7.
    One of the Tate drops probably cost us at least a FG.

This leads to the Niners feeling pressure to pass more to keep up - and we probably don't see them leaning on that powerful run game in the second half.

I still feel great about this team. The offense is probably a year behind where it needs to be, but it can continue to grow and we should be very competitive in our next few games before the BYE. Get healthy, and make a little run here and we're looking at 7-3 at the break. Sign me up.
    dsquid
    NET Rookie

• year 3/4 homez.
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

• Pstark3 wrote:year 3/4 homez.

Huh? :?
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• Of course, if any of the PI or holding non-calls are made, or the face-mask on Alex Smith, all of which went in the Seahawks' favor, it could be a completely different game in the other direction. The same could be said if San Francisco doesn't essentially give up a possession by running three straight times to force Seattle to burn their time-outs.

Just saying . . .
    manders2600
    NET Rookie

• Maybe he is referring to the 4 year plan that has been talked about here. We are in year 3. I don't know, that's how I perceived it.
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran

• manders2600 wrote:Of course, if any of the PI or holding non-calls are made, or the face-mask on Alex Smith, all of which went in the Seahawks' favor, it could be a completely different game in the other direction. The same could be said if San Francisco doesn't essentially give up a possession by running three straight times to force Seattle to burn their time-outs.

Just saying . . .

The effect of any of those plays seem a lot less stark than a drop at the 5 yard line or a key first down pickup that puts us in FG range.

It's also hard to substantiate the effect of a hot start by a rookie QB being squandered and the loss of momentum that occurred. The Seahawks were dominating the first half and had way too little to show for it.
    dsquid
    NET Rookie

• dsquid wrote:
    manders2600 wrote:Of course, if any of the PI or holding non-calls are made, or the face-mask on Alex Smith, all of which went in the Seahawks' favor, it could be a completely different game in the other direction. The same could be said if San Francisco doesn't essentially give up a possession by running three straight times to force Seattle to burn their time-outs.

Just saying . . .

The effect of any of those plays seem a lot less stark than a drop at the 5 yard line or a key first down pickup that puts us in FG range.

It's also hard to substantiate the effect of a hot start by a rookie QB being squandered and the loss of momentum that occurred. The Seahawks were dominating the first half and had way too little to show for it.

Well, a large number of those non-called PI and defensive holds would have given San Francisco 1st downs within field goal range, and if I'm not mistaken, the same would have been the case with the facemask penalty on a 3rd down (though I could be wrong about that one).

Alex Smith's interception also came on a 3rd down after a helmet-to-helmet hit on the backup QB that was not called, but would have resulted in a first-and goal inside the 5 yard line.
    manders2600
    NET Rookie

• I agree. Seahawks got away with a alot last night.
    NinerDawg
    NET Bench Warmer

• NinerDawg wrote:I agree. Seahawks got away with a alot last night.

LMFAO! :pukeface:
    Wolf grey all day every day.
    VHawk
    NET Veteran

• VHawk wrote:
    NinerDawg wrote:I agree. Seahawks got away with a alot last night.

LMFAO! :pukeface:

It was the mugging of San Francisco's receivers by Seattle's corners that made those corners easier to block, and less capable of supporting the LB's in the running and short passing game during the second half. When runs and short passes go for big gains, it usually means that the secondary is getting blocked, which is what happened. This was the major adjustment made by San Francisco at the half.
    manders2600
    NET Rookie

• Our LBers sucked tonight and were being manhandled on virtually every running play. When 4 guys are able to block 7, sometimes 8 when Cam came down, it's pretty pathetic.
    Schadie001
    NET Veteran

• Both teams got away with quite a bit last night. I don't believe blaming the loss on a call here or a call there. Last night 49ers were the better team so we should just leave it at that and look forward to the next game.
    Dren
    NET Bench Warmer

• To me, the turning point of the game was when they screwed up at mid field and lined up incorrectly after we had a 3 and out. That gave us a new set of downs that we promptly ran 3 more plays and punted. They got the ball and drove down the field for a td.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Alex Smith's interception also came on a 3rd down after a helmet-to-helmet hit on the backup QB that was not called, but would have resulted in a first-and goal inside the 5 yard line.

Wut? He was running the ball. We call helmet to helmet on running plays now?
    Hollandhawk
    NET Rookie

• Smith's interception was all Smith......
    NinerDawg
    NET Bench Warmer

• dsquid wrote:
    manders2600 wrote:Of course, if any of the PI or holding non-calls are made, or the face-mask on Alex Smith, all of which went in the Seahawks' favor, it could be a completely different game in the other direction. The same could be said if San Francisco doesn't essentially give up a possession by running three straight times to force Seattle to burn their time-outs.

Just saying . . .

The Clemons non facemask call could have been a killer.
    canucklhead
    NET Practice Squad

• Our LBers sucked tonight and were being manhandled on virtually every running play. When 4 guys are able to block 7, sometimes 8 when Cam came down, it's pretty pathetic.

I'm not entirely sure about that comment, but that O line for the 49'rs didn't fare so well against the Giants. Am I wrong or did it take us quite a while to get to Brady who often looked like he had all the time in the world?

I have been underwhelmed by our pass rush the last couple games.
    chiltech500
    NET Bench Warmer

• SF won the game on 1 drive. Obviously Gore and the quick hit run were major contributors but just as major was the flaw SF repeatedly capitalized on for the entire drive. The Seahawks disregarded the middle of the field, with their LBers being nowhere to be found. Smith threw atleast 3 check downs to Gore for first downs where there wasn't a soul near him, and caught Crabtree on a cross wide open for another. After that drive the Hawks made the adjustment, but that one drive was enough to win the ballgame.
    canucklhead
    NET Practice Squad

• NinerDawg wrote:Smith's interception was all Smith......

Very much like Wilson's was all Wilson. Into triple coverage and high arced letting the defense get there before the receiver.

:les:
    No last minute heroics will be needed this time.
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Hollandhawk wrote:

Alex Smith's interception also came on a 3rd down after a helmet-to-helmet hit on the backup QB that was not called, but would have resulted in a first-and goal inside the 5 yard line.

Leading with the crown of the helmet, or "spearing" while making no attempt to "wrap up" is most definitely a personal foul. You could also make the argument that at the point the defender lowered his head, the backup QB was "defenseless", as he was being taken to the ground from behind.

Either way, there were a large number of non-calls that went in Seattle's favor without that play.

The point being that this was close to being a completely different game if Seattle's receivers catch every ball thrown their way, just as it was close to being a completely different game if the refs had made every call.
    manders2600
    NET Rookie

• manders2600 wrote:
    Hollandhawk wrote:

Leading with the crown of the helmet, or "spearing" while making no attempt to "wrap up" is most definitely a personal foul. You could also make the argument that at the point the defender lowered his head, the backup QB was "defenseless", as he was being taken to the ground from behind.

Either way, there were a large number of non-calls that went in Seattle's favor without that play.

The point being that this was close to being a completely different game if Seattle's receivers catch every ball thrown their way, just as it was close to being a completely different game if the refs had made every call.

You really want a flag for helmet to helmet there? At that point he is treated as a runner.

May I suggest tennis for you from here on out, madame? The game has been neutered enough as it is. Stop mollycoddling it.
    Formerly known as Seahawk425.
    CodeWarrior
    NET Veteran

• CodeWarrior wrote:
    manders2600 wrote:
    Hollandhawk wrote:

You really want a flag for helmet to helmet there? At that point he is treated as a runner.

May I suggest tennis for you from here on out, madame? The game has been neutered enough as it is. Stop mollycoddling it.

He is certainly treated as a runner, but both "spearing" and helmet-to-helmet on a defenseless player are valid penalties in that situation, and typically get called.

Anyway, the point was not that I "wanted" that particular penalty, but to illustrate, in general, that Seattle ended up getting quite a few lucky breaks with the officiating, and that to simply say, "We would have won except for a few drops" is silly.
    manders2600
    NET Rookie

• manders2600 wrote:

This is where Pierre Thomas would like to point out the hypocrisy of the 49er Nation. Had Donte Whitner not made a helmet to helmet hit on Thomas to save a touchdown and force a turnover, you lose to the Saints in the divisional round last year.

What's that? The NFL called that hit legal? Okay...please explain to me what that play should NOT have been flagged, but the one in last night's game SHOULD have been flagged.

Just like it's fine to complain to the league about us, but bush league when the Giants do it about you. ;)
    camdawg
    NET Rookie

• camdawg wrote:
    manders2600 wrote:

This is where Pierre Thomas would like to point out the hypocrisy of the 49er Nation. Had Donte Whitner not made a helmet to helmet hit on Thomas to save a touchdown and force a turnover, you lose to the Saints in the divisional round last year.

What's that? The NFL called that hit legal? Okay...please explain to me what that play should NOT have been flagged, but the one in last night's game SHOULD have been flagged.

Just like it's fine to complain to the league about us, but bush league when the Giants do it about you. ;)

1. Though their helmets did make contact, Donte Whitner was leading with his shoulder, not "spearing"
    2. Pierre Thomas was not defenseless, he was running in the open field and lowering his helmet to hit Whitner
    manders2600
    NET Rookie

• dsquid wrote:

Just saying . . .

Nicely put. I got it the first post though.haha ....

Those drops, besides taking points off the board, they have to be demoralizing. You cannot do that against the 9ers at their house. I do feel encouraged that we've closed the gap but we have nothing to show for it.
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

• You 9'er hoes are as bad as Packer bitches,you think you are entitled to every call on the field.Just shut up already!The fact you are nit picking every call or missed call shows you are worried we are a more physical team.Dont be SCURRED!!
    Wolf grey all day every day.
    VHawk
    NET Veteran

• I really really dislike the 9ers. I dont really even have a 2nd team that can come close to the dislike I have for san franfaggo
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

• VHawk wrote:You 9'er hoes are as bad as Packer bitches,you think you are entitled to every call on the field.Just shut up already!The fact you are nit picking every call or missed call shows you are worried we are a more physical team.Dont be SCURRED!!

Yep. Super worried, after last night, that Seattle has a more physical team. :roll:
    :sarcasm_off:
    manders2600
    NET Rookie

• manders2600 wrote:
    VHawk wrote:You 9'er hoes are as bad as Packer bitches,you think you are entitled to every call on the field.Just shut up already!The fact you are nit picking every call or missed call shows you are worried we are a more physical team.Dont be SCURRED!!

Yep. Super worried, after last night, that Seattle has a more physical team. :roll:
    :sarcasm_off:

Why are you here?
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Oh some folks exist to bitch and moan - miserable whiners like some women I've worked with :stirthepot:
    chiltech500
    NET Bench Warmer

• The Radish wrote:
    NinerDawg wrote:Smith's interception was all Smith......

Very much like Wilson's was all Wilson. Into triple coverage and high arced letting the defense get there before the receiver.

:les:

Was pretty much a punt anyways. So it didn't cost us to much.
    Kelly.Orr
    NET Starter

• manders2600 wrote:Of course, if any of the PI or holding non-calls are made, or the face-mask on Alex Smith, all of which went in the Seahawks' favor, it could be a completely different game in the other direction. The same could be said if San Francisco doesn't essentially give up a possession by running three straight times to force Seattle to burn their time-outs.

Just saying . . .

Fair and balanced perspective. I went into this game thinking we would likely be victimized by questionable calls. I was pleasantly surprized. Two games in a row I felt the officials gave us breaks. The non-called PI on Browner against Branch the week before could have been devastating. Throw in Tate's "big catch" against GB, and I think lady luck, as ugly as she can be, has been on our sides so far this year.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• manders2600 wrote:
    He is certainly treated as a runner, but both "spearing" and helmet-to-helmet on a defenseless player are valid penalties in that situation, and typically get called.

Anyway, the point was not that I "wanted" that particular penalty, but to illustrate, in general, that Seattle ended up getting quite a few lucky breaks with the officiating, and that to simply say, "We would have won except for a few drops" is silly.

Go back and watch it again. At the very last instant, the runner turned his body. Had he not done that, the tackler would not have connected with his helmet. The refs made the correct call.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• manders2600 wrote:...and that to simply say, "We would have won except for a few drops" is silly.

True that. And there were several missed calls that benefited the Seahawks. And the final score was closer than it could have been.

Although, one or two completions instead of drops I believe would have changed the complexion of the game. However it would have played out after that is anybody's guess.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• Glad for posts like this after a tough loss.
    Brockhawk
    NET Bench Warmer

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:45 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information