#1 priority in the off season

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
I believe we were tied for last in dropped passes leading into this game.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ensett":gnj8l3sl said:
We could start by not cutting a veteran pro bowl TE for some scrub cut by a bottom tier offense. Evan Moore is so bad that it actually gives me hope that I can make it as a walk on.

Winslow was already giving up on plays in the preseason.

ensett

Reaction score
Winslow can give up on a play and still be more effective than Moore can. Winslow is a beast. Moore is out of the league within 2 years.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Hawken-Dazs":3pjvpifw said:
I believe we were tied for last in dropped passes leading into this game.

Probably not the case anymore... and we're also throwing less than every other team in the league.

AgentDib

Reaction score
We obviously need help at receiver but I think the lack of protection was just as important tonight. I worry that too many of our lineman are there because of their ability as run blockers. They may be "good enough" as pass blockers against marginal teams, but against good defensive lines we are just not getting the job done. If we do make the playoffs or expect to contend we need to be able to give our QB a lot more protection than Wilson got tonight.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I thought Wilson's protection today was the best it's been all season.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1vumpm4a said:
- Braylon Edwards... gave up on the pick too easily. Sure, bad decision by RW. But I thought this was 'personal' for Edwards per twitter?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WHAT THE HELL WAS HE SUPPOSED TO DO? Wilson threw it over his head into triple coverage!

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":sdf4vqmf said:
I thought Wilson's protection today was the best it's been all season.

This. Protection wasn't the issue today.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Couldn't disagree more. Will revisit with specifics when the game is up tomorrow but right now my prediction is that over half of our passing plays were hurried, tipped or broken up by pressure.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
AgentDib":gj3avns6 said:
Couldn't disagree more. Will revisit with specifics when the game is up tomorrow but right now my prediction is that over half of our passing plays were hurried, tipped or broken up by pressure.

You might be right in the second half, I suppose. First half I remember Wilson having time to step into several throws.

knownone

Reaction score
Sidney wasn't complaining about Wilson, he was complaining about being held on the play.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Protection wasn't horrible, I'll say that. I don't see Wilson throwing any checkdowns in the middle of the field and short. Either he can't see it, or is worried about passes getting tipped, and doesn't have the lanes for it.

At this point, I'd have to say we go BPA with OT and WR being our biggest need. I'm starting to give up on Giacominni.

Zabooni

Reaction score
Absolutely need to find a #1 WR, it'll simply take pressure off everyone else. Rice can be a serviceable #1.. but how much more potent could our offense be if he's featured as a #2.

Hawk4lyfe

Reaction score
rpmischris":13djvbag said:
We need BOWE combined with Rice with Tate/Baldwin in the slot. We need a true #1 receiver that can beat double coverages.

Firstly, bowe we'd have to trade for. Likely.a 2nd rounder at the latest. Likely more than that tho.
Secondly, he's gonna want #1 w/o money. Not gonna happen when we r already paying rice so much. Id rather see us get one in the draft

Id like to see martin in there and see what he can.do. and I wish we used our TEs more. We did some in the NE game

Starrman44

Reaction score
When you play a D like San Fran and Seattle you have to capitalize on the plays that present themselves. We had some big drops. If those are caught the game is completely different.

Maybe Wilson made a bad read on the interception, but who cares. He was trying to make a play and being hit.

One gripe I had was on the play when our receiver was knocked out of bounds. It looked like a defensive back (I think a safety) came in to help. He wasn't even on coverage, but came across the field and knocked the receiver out of bounds. I still don't understand why that isn't interference. However, I also felt like we got away with a call, but it's not coming to me at the moment.

Just a frustrating loss where making one or two plays would have changed the entire game. I'm already getting bombarded by Niner fans. Gotta go crawl into a bunker and sulk until the Lions. I wanna absolutely destroy the Lions!!

kearly

Reaction score
Sorry Rob, but yes I do think this topic is reactionary. Don't forget that 2 of our drops were by RBs. Another was by a TE. We are talking about 3 drops by our WRs tonight. That sucks, but they also made some really nice plays- Rice and Baldwin especially. It's a shame that Tate's hands sucked, but that is VERY out of character for him. Piling on after this game on Tate is a lot like when Mora let Mare have it after he missed a couple kicks in 2009. Hopefully the aftermath is similarly ironic.

I'm not excusing anything- I think clearly the drops made the difference in the outcome of the game. How can a rookie QB build momentum when he's got almost as many drops (5) as completions (6) with just 5 minutes left in the game? Wilson actually looked very composed for a while and then the entire team just unraveled after that horrible drop by Tate on 3rd down.

This game screamed "growing pains" to me. Our running game is great, our recievers have talent, our QB has talent... but there is an awkwardness to this offense right now. The Dallas game was the only game where every aspect of the offense clicked at the same time. It really felt like Wilson was on pace for a special game before those drops and some very questionable non-calls for DPI threw a wrench in things.

Oddly enough, I thought Seattle looked like the more talented team in this game. The defense had SF on lockdown in quarters 2 and 3 and the offense came so freaking close to finishing drives countless times before the 49ers seemingly always caught a huge break to avoid points.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
There have been a lot of dropped balls this season and quite a few in this game alone. Obviously they need to work on fixing that if this team is going to be successful. This particular game though the loss was not really a shock to me. I figured it would be close. Was hoping to see more from both offenses and a high score on both sides that was close, but that was really wishful thinking. This game was for the division lead and I didn't expect SF to just roll over and hand it to Seattle. I expected a dog fight and that's what it was. Those drops could have made the difference yes, but far from discourage me, this game actually made me feel there's hope for the future if they can get the catching thing figured out. It may be they do just that through free agency or the draft, but one way or another this trend of drops has to stop. It just has to. QB is the least of the offensive problems atm imo.

firebee

Reaction score
kearly":2avg0ge8 said:
Sorry Rob, but yes I do think this topic is reactionary. Don't forget that 2/5 of our drops were by RBs. We are talking about 3 drops by our WRs tonight. That sucks, but they also made some really nice plays- Rice and Baldwin especially. It's a shame that Tate's hands sucked, but that is VERY out of character for him. Piling on after this game on Tate is a lot like when Mora let Mare have it after he missed a couple kicks in 2009. Hopefully the aftermath is similarly ironic.

I'm not excusing anything- I think clearly the drops made the difference in the outcome of the game. How can a rookie QB build momentum when he's got almost as many drops (5) as completions (6) with just 5 minutes left in the game? Wilson actually looked very composed for a while and then the entire team just unraveled after that horrible drop by Tate on 3rd down.

This game screamed "growing pains" to me. Our running game is great, our recievers have talent, our QB has talent... but there is an awkwardness to this offense right now. The Dallas game was the only game where every aspect of the offense clicked at the same time. It really felt like Wilson was on pace for a special game before those drops and some very questionable non-calls for DPI threw a wrench in things.

Oddly enough, I thought Seattle looked like the more talented team in this game. The defense had SF on lockdown in quarters 2 and 3 and the offense came so freaking close to finishing drives countless times before the 49ers seemingly always caught a huge break to avoid points.

Excuse me... 3 drops by our receivers???? Tate dropped 3 catchable passes on his own. Edwards had another drop that hit him in the hands, Rice had a drop that hit him in the hands and I'm pretty sure Obomanu dropped a catchable pass in the 3rd quarter if my memory serves me correctly. Granted... Edwards and Rice dropped a couple tough catches they had to go up for, but they got both hands on the ball and they didn't make the catch. In the NFL... If the ball hits you in the hands... It's a drop, regardless if you're in double coverage, going up for the ball or diving for a ball. 2 hands on the ball that doesn't end up caught is a drop. Our receivers accounted for multiple drops and Tate accounted for 3 of them.

I can cut Turbin a little slack because he's a rookie and he probably had some jitters early in the game. Not to mention... The wheel route is one of the hardest catches for a back to make because they're typically not downfield receivers. Lynch has never been known for being a great receiving back, so I expect him to have a drop or two in a game if the ball's thrown his way.

As for the interception... If you get a chance... watch the replay on that. I don't think Wilson intended to throw it in the field of play. I think he was trying to get it out of bounds near Edwards to avoid intentional grounding and came up lame on the throw due to pressure. That's why it was way over Edwards and a lot closer to the sideline than Edwards was.

For immediate assistance, I'd really like to see us sign Plaxico this week. I'm done with Tate. I've been waiting for him to develop into a solid reliable receiver that gets open and makes plays consistently for 3 years now. It's always one thing or another with him. Either he has a hard time getting open, he drops passes when he gets open or he doesn't make a play after he catches the ball. Tate is vastly overrated in my opinion. He's a great athlete that can play receiver, but I want a great receiver that's athletic.

As for Edwards... He's been notoriously inconsistent throughout his career. One play he'll make an amazing catch and then he'll drop the easiest catch a receiver could make the next 2 or 3 times he's targeted. It's been a well publicized knock on him throughout his career. Again... Could care less if he stays on the team. I was actually hoping we'd keep TO over Edwards and give TO some time to work himself into the offense.

I'd trade Edwards and Tate for Nate Burleson in a heartbeat and that's not saying Burleson is a great receiver. It's just saying he's a hell of a lot more consistent than Edwards and Tate are combined.

Also... Who the hell is our receiver's coach??? I'd say he's on the hotseat at this point. Last, but not least... Does Bevell know how to use a f#@&^! screen? The only screens I've seen him use are slip screens and bubble screens to our receivers. Here's a thought. Maybe run a play-action screen pass that allows Robinson, a good receiving FB, to leak out and get a lot of space to work with when he catches the ball after the front 7 have closed in on the HB and the secondary is downfield with our receivers.