The Hawks CAN win tomorrow, comfortably...

pehawk

Reaction score
Thinking out loud here....

Since preseason I've been trying to rein in my enthusiasm. I'm a Hawks fan, it's the emotionally prudent way to react. But, I REALLY think the Hawks can win this game, fairly comfortably.

SF's going to have to respect the pass. They just have to. I know it was still cool to question Wilson as early as post-Carolina, but, that was misguided. In that game, the passing attack was an inch or penalty away from going from "work n progress" to "arrived".

While the passing attack looked shaky at times against the Patriots, it at minimum earned respect. Yes the Pats secondary is lackluster, but it's still NE. Offensively, I'm going to assume the safe bet, more growth. That's kind of a given. I think the Hawks will move the ball, just fine.

Defensively, can Alex Smith REALLY make the quick reads and throws required to beat the Hawks? He's playing well, and has always been underrated IMO. But, quick and sound decisions aren’t his specialty. Anything longer than a quick read and Alex will have all sorts of pressure, especially with Staley out. Gore doesn't scare me too terribly much.

The Hawks offense can, and will most likely be, the most dynamic. The defenses MAY BE a push. I'm feeling a win and statement.

VHawk

Reaction score
Great post dude!Love the confidence my brotha,I am with ya' brotha!!

Darrenv17

Reaction score
we need to get ahead by at least 10 , and force A.Smith to throw and TRY to make a comeback. Then its a rap!!!

kbreitkreutz

Reaction score
Darrenv17":12afaoxx said:
we need to get ahead by at least 10 , and force A.Smith to throw and TRY to make a comeback. Then its a rap!!!

Don't discredit Alex. Some of his best games were games he played form behind. Eagles, Lions, Saints, Giants, and that is just a few. Last week, was a bad week, but every QB has an off day. Seeing as Alex hasnt thrown 3 ints in one game since the Eagles game in 2010, Alex rarely gives up the ball. Remember they did go 13-3 last season behind Alex

grizbob

Reaction score
Good post pe, I especially agree with the offense being the most dynamic thanks to Cables coaching and Wilson's progression as a QB :th2thumbs: :3:

VHawk

Reaction score
All we need to do is play Seahawk football and punch these nancies in the mouth just like the Giants did.

hawker84

Reaction score
VHawk":1sd2j611 said:
All we need to do is play Seahawk football and punch these nancies in the mouth just like the Giants did.

this, and right when they're trying to get up punch them in the mouth again....

roiyair

Reaction score
I think comfortably is a really bad description.
What happened to them against the giants is a mystery but just like no one is going to "comfortably" beat us, we aren't gonna do this to them.
This is one tough defense that specializes in stopping the run. They are one of the only teams in the league that can "respect the pass" and still be able to stop the run consistently. We're going to have to battle for every yard in the running game. And I really think they can force us into many third and long situations. This is going to be a huge challenge for Wilson.
On D I agree that we have what it takes to stop them. The only threat I see is Vernon Davies getting open for a lot of plays down the middle. I think that may be the only somewhat soft spot on our D. I'm totally with you though on stopping Gore and the running game. It just feels like it would take something really really special to establish a solid ground game against our D.

Largent80

Reaction score
Both teams want to run the ball first pass second. Whatever team yields the most on the ground more than likely will win. We have played like garbage there for the last 3 years. This Hawk team appears to be a lot better than any of those previous 3 so, we definitely have a chance.

Protect that ball at all costs, but don't be afraid to air it out.

VHawk

Reaction score
roiyair":2eapx00m said:
I think comfortably is a really bad description.
What happened to them against the giants is a mystery but just like no one is going to "comfortably" beat us, we aren't gonna do this to them.
This is one tough defense that specializes in stopping the run. They are one of the only teams in the league that can "respect the pass" and still be able to stop the run consistently. We're going to have to battle for every yard in the running game. And I really think they can force us into many third and long situations. This is going to be a huge challenge for Wilson.
On D I agree that we have what it takes to stop them. The only threat I see is Vernon Davies getting open for a lot of plays down the middle. I think that may be the only somewhat soft spot on our D. I'm totally with you though on stopping Gore and the running game. It just feels like it would take something really really special to establish a solid ground game against our D.

Marshawn ran all over San Frans D last year,what makes you think he cant do it tonight?The O line is much improved and so is the QB play.People do not realize the mental toughness of this team.Seattle has proved they can bounce back with turnovers and being behind in points,I do not think SF can do the same thing especially if Alex Smith struggles.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pehawk":3cy1lpv2 said:
SF's going to have to respect the pass. They just have to.

I know Wilson had a good game against the Pats, but let's not get all crazy. Until Wilson proves he can be consistent at reading defenses and making throws THROUGHOUT each game, and not just for a quarter or two.........then our opponents are going to continue to emphasize stopping Lynch first.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I'm happy Wilson has played better the last 2 weeks than the first 4, but lets be honest here.. no team on our schedule to date compares to the 49ers.. this team is loaded on both sides of the football.

Do I think we can win? Absolutely.. just saying this is going to be quite the test for the team as a whole.. offense and defense.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
VHawk":33nqv6dn said:
Marshawn ran all over San Frans D last year,what makes you think he cant do it tonight?The O line is much improved and so is the QB play.People do not realize the mental toughness of this team.Seattle has proved they can bounce back with turnovers and being behind in points,I do not think SF can do the same thing especially if Alex Smith struggles.

At home he did.. on the road against the 49ers he had 33 yards.

Which Seahawks team shows up tonight? That's the bigger question

CANHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1ujoa0u2 said:
I'm happy Wilson has played better the last 2 weeks than the first 4, but lets be honest here.. no team on our schedule to date compares to the 49ers.. this team is loaded on both sides of the football.

Do I think we can win? Absolutely.. just saying this is going to be quite the test for the team as a whole.. offense and defense.

Yep. I've had this little pair of games circled as the ultimate test of where we are as a team all year. The Pats game to judge where our Defense is and the 9'ers game to judge where our offense is. I'm not at all scared of the 9'ers and I do believe we can beat them on any given Sunday (...er... Thursday) but it's going to be a slobberknocker no matter what.

...BTW, I keep seeing this thread title out of the corner of my eye and thinking it's about me. :dummy:

roiyair

Reaction score
I'm not saying we won't be able to run the football, just that it's gonna be everything but comfortable, a true fight for every yard.
This is the toughest run defense we've played this year. We're playing away from home against a team that will come to unleash it's anger after a big defeat.
If Marshawn is to repeat his performance from last season against them we're going to need an A+ effort from him and the entire O-line. Again last season's performance came while he was on a mean streak and at home with no noise bothering our line. This is going to be one hell of a matchup.

Largent80

Reaction score
We simply CANNOT commit the stupid offensive penalties on the road. Giacomini, are you listening?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The only way we're winning comfortably is if SF turns the ball over a bunch of times like they did against the Giants, which I don't see happening. Harbaugh isn't going to let that happen two weeks in row. My guess is Smith's leash is going to be very very short this week. Their game plan is going to be run Gore and play the field position game.

We need Leon to step up this week and give us short fields, or better take a couple to the house. SF has been exposed the past couple of weeks on punt returns, let's hope that continues.

Largent80

Reaction score
Harbaugh has no control over turnovers. If we take the run away, that plays into our hands in the turnover dept. AND Gore hasn't done squat against us in the last 4 games, and we are even better against the run than in those games.

That puts the ball into the air where we certainly can get some pics.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":30x7z3zk said:
Harbaugh has no control over turnovers.

Not on the field, but game plan wise he does.

My guess against the Giants who have a good defense AND a top 5 QB, he thought he needed Smith to air it out more than he would against Wilson and the Hawks passing offense.

IMO what the Giants did to the 49'er was an aberration more than a blueprint for beating them, especially at home.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
It would be a lie if I said I was not concerned about our offense against this Niner defense. I have confidence our defense will contain the Niners to 21 or less points, but I have a hard time seeing our O score more than 21 on that D.

I sure as hell hope it happens though! Go Hawks!