are thursday (or monday) games worth it?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
are thursday (or monday) games worth it?
Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:46 am
  • I know it is exciting to have the team play in a nationally televised game when they are the only show in town, but i must admit I feel a certain emptiness on sundays when the hawks don't play. I think in some ways i'd rather stick to the regular Sunday game and have Thursday (or Monday) football be with other teams when I'm already largely distracted by the rest of the week. Thoughts?
    HawkGA
    NET Veteran

• For me, until I can get NFL Sunday Ticket it's the only I'm guaranteed to see my Hawks.
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• I like Thursday night games until the Hawks play. I think its probably a good thing for the fans on the whole, though
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• Monday night games - yes.

Thursday night games - no, but only because I don't have DirecTV.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Thursday night and bye weeks are the worse, unless you win. Then it isn't so bad. You can bask in the glow and feel all smug knowing your guys made it through the last game with a victory.

TNF isn't a bad deal to insure each team gets a shot at primetime telecasts. Analysts probably hate it, since they have to spend time actually learning about the less glamorous match-ups and teams.

Plus, now I can haul stuff to the dump or do other things I wouldn't do on Sunday.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• grizbob wrote:For me, until I can get NFL Sunday Ticket it's the only I'm guaranteed to see my Hawks.

Good point. As a side note, I think the NFL's ultimate undoing will be its resistance to making its product widely available for people to watch. I haven't seen a game in years, partly because my wife isn't a football fan and we have little ones that require more attention, but mainly because we don't have TV. If I could watch the games online I would. As more people ditch cable and dish, this is going to become more of a problem for the NFL.
    HawkGA
    NET Veteran

• AbsolutNET wrote:I like Thursday night games until the Hawks play. I think its probably a good thing for the fans on the whole, though

I think so too. I like having more football on than less. It's probably a lot like games in England. Kind of cool, definitely good for the league. I'll be ticked when/if the Hawks ever do it.
    HawkGA
    NET Veteran

• DEFINITELY YES when it comes to Monday night....we have a GREAT record on Mondays, and you don't really lose any preparation time, because Monday is generally an off day for the players anyway, with only some meetings maybe and voluntary workouts.

Thursday games are a relatively new phenomenon. I'm not sure about them yet. I would have liked to have seen Thursday games played only during the part of the season with bye weeks, so that a team played on thursday directly after their bye week. Only about half the teams would get a shot on thursday night football per season, but every other season everyone could get in a game and there wouldn't be short week to worry about.

With that said, if we win tonight, it will go a long ways in making me think positively about TNF and if we lose, it will be the exact opposite of course :)
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• HawkGA wrote:
    grizbob wrote:For me, until I can get NFL Sunday Ticket it's the only I'm guaranteed to see my Hawks.

Good point. As a side note, I think the NFL's ultimate undoing will be its resistance to making its product widely available for people to watch. I haven't seen a game in years, partly because my wife isn't a football fan and we have little ones that require more attention, but mainly because we don't have TV. If I could watch the games online I would. As more people ditch cable and dish, this is going to become more of a problem for the NFL.

Check you PM's
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• I hate when the Hawks play on Thursday because my Sundays are boring as hell. If we win tonite it will be a great thing for Seattle though. A tough road win followed by 10 days of prep for another tough road game.
    endzorn
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• I don't like Thursday night games. Recovery and prep time are minimized, even more so for the traveling team.
    Member formally known as AC59
    Jiggy
    NET Veteran

• drdiags wrote:Thursday night and bye weeks are the worse, unless you win. Then it isn't so bad. You can bask in the glow and feel all smug knowing your guys made it through the last game with a victory.

TNF isn't a bad deal to insure each team gets a shot at primetime telecasts. Analysts probably hate it, since they have to spend time actually learning about the less glamorous match-ups and teams.

Plus, now I can haul stuff to the dump or do other things I wouldn't do on Sunday.

This. I have to try and get off work in time ,at least this time of year. But on sunday morning I dont have to leave the river by 9 in the morn! The steelhead will be in full swing soon and I plan on bagging a lot more this year!
    Some mind's are like cement, Mixed up well and Permanently SET!
    kearly wrote:The Carolina game scares the bejeezus out of me, but I think if Seattle clears that hurdle, they will get on a serious roll and it won't stop until we win the SB next February.
    HawkMania
    NET Rookie

• grizbob wrote:For me, until I can get NFL Sunday Ticket it's the only I'm guaranteed to see my Hawks.

So true, in the UK its like the only Hawks game they show on skysports
    AlexHawk
    NET Practice Squad

• I love Thursday Night games. if I had my way, they would play a game every night and just deal with the scheduling headache.

You don't need DirecTV, just NFL Network.
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• AgentDib wrote:I love Thursday Night games. if I had my way, they would play a game every night and just deal with the scheduling headache.

You don't need DirecTV, just NFL Network.

:th2thumbs: :thirishdrinkers: or in other words :13:
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• I could really care less about all the natioal exposure of Monday and Thursday games,...
    I just love college football on Saturday and Seahawk football on Sundays,...
    Hamhawk
    NET Veteran

• Jiggy wrote:I don't like Thursday night games. Recovery and prep time are minimized, even more so for the traveling team.

Agreed. The only Thursday games should be on Thanksgiving.

If they insist on doing a lot of Thursday games, the teams playing should have a bye the previous week.
    Do you like curry? - Gareth Keenan
    DYLcurry59
    NET Starter

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:54 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information