On the road, can our offense win once we are down?

seahawks08

Reaction score
I can see the games at home where we now can come from behind and win. On the road, other than the Panthers game, we lost to Arizona and St Louis. Arizona I don't count as it was the first game, but St Louis, we were not able to win either which got me to wonder. Defense travels well, offense not that much. Is this team capable of coming from behind and winning on the road? I would be ecstatic if we win Thursday, but what do you guys think. Is our offense now reached a point where we can overcome and win road games too in a similar fashion as we did last week at home?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
We had opportunities to win both those games on the road with a rookie. Salt and pepper Wilson (as in, season him a little), and I bet we're going to see a few come from behind road wins.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Don't bet against Wilson. That's all I have to say.

652cHAWK

Reaction score
Lynch and Turbin really need to step it up for this one. A good kick return, or two, from Leon would be nice as well.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
By the way, we were down in the 3rd quarter in the Carolina game, so we've already proven we can come back and win on the road.

themunn

Reaction score
It's not as if we've had totally hapless attempts at coming back on the road, we had lots of opportunities to win in Arizona in the redzone at the end of the game and in all probability, should have converted (we should have run the ball, Beast was gashing them, but keeping the clock stopped was obviously the problem).

Add to that, Anthony McCoy doesn't slip against the Rams and we might have been saying to ourself "are we the best comeback team in the league?"

I would much rather be asking the question "on the road, can the offense get us into the position where we don't have to come from behind to win?"

In 6 games we've only once held the lead for the entirety of the 4th quarter. I'd like to see that become more common
I lie, I thought we scored our TD in the 4th Q against Carolina. Still, I'd like to see a much more comfortable 4th Q that doesn't include having a goalline stand to keep the lead

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
We've had extremely close games in all but one game this year. 4 of them with us having to drive to score a TD on the last possession of the game. One where we needed a goal line stand. The good news is we haven't been blown out by anyone and we blew out Dallas (always good news). But we need to start dominating more if we're going to be consistent enough to be a playoff contender. I'd like to think that when our schedule eases up we will do that. Games against the Rams and Panthers, however, leave me doubtful.

Largent80

Reaction score
What I have learned is that this team plays until the last second, and if I were the opposing team, I would not want to see us coming in for a game. We are one tough team, and are pretty healthy right now too.

sam1313

Reaction score
Hell yes we can. As Aros said, don't bet against RW. Also, don't bet against this defense. In other words, don't bet against this team!!!

HawkWow

Reaction score
This is where our come-from-behind Ws serve us better than the way SF has been (recently) winning.

SF is a very experienced unit and should be able to stage come backs, once down, but how much do they really trust Smith to make that happen? Yeah, he played pretty well last year, but let's not forget the years before. I'm sure his team mates have not and I think if they are to get down by more than a score, they all have to start getting rather uptight...which oft times leads to mistakes.

In our case, this team not only believes we can come back...they know we can and have done so, or have come close to doing so, in every example thus far. I watched SF blowing teams out (76-3?) and enjoyed the fact we were in nail biters and coming from behind. This is what builds trust and confidence within the unit. That said, sure SF will be frothing after a butt kicking, but they may also (again) have some serious doubts about their QB. IF we are within a score at the end of the 3rd, I REALLY like our chances. By that time, half their offense will be ready for an ice bath, along with those defenders that have had the misfortune of tackling Mr. Lynch. We are now seeing this week after week. I wonder if Welker can get out of bed yet?

hawker84

Reaction score
let's not forget, recievers dropped balls in the endzone, and the unfortunate pics that was not Wilsons fault, all contributed to those almost comebacks not happening.....this team has a chance to beat anybody, whether we're out in front all game, or come from behind victories.. that is not TJack back there any more........

OP
OP
S

seahawks08

Reaction score
I think on road the key is penalties against us. We know very well this is going to be a hard fought game, but if the officials feel that we are playing more aggressive, they may give more calls against us. Penalties win or lose games, we can't afford to get penalties, but keeping the right balance for a young team like ours will be a key aspect to look for. Even though Alex Smith does not do well, he has historically done well against Seattle. Some how he becomes a different guy just making all the throws he normally doesn't. I think the organization might have tampered with his confidence putting in Kapernick for some plays, but will have to see. I still like the seahawks D with the philosophy. As long as the plays happen in front of the D and not over them, we should be good. Again the key is penalties for sure, I hope the officials let both teams play the game.

HawkWow

Reaction score
seahawks08":2rt9qdce said:
I think on road the key is penalties against us. We know very well this is going to be a hard fought game, but if the officials feel that we are playing more aggressive, they may give more calls against us. Penalties win or lose games, we can't afford to get penalties, but keeping the right balance for a young team like ours will be a key aspect to look for. Even though Alex Smith does not do well, he has historically done well against Seattle. Some how he becomes a different guy just making all the throws he normally doesn't. I think the organization might have tampered with his confidence putting in Kapernick for some plays, but will have to see. I still like the seahawks D with the philosophy. As long as the plays happen in front of the D and not over them, we should be good. Again the key is penalties for sure, I hope the officials let both teams play the game.

I agree totally about the penalties and just sited this in the prediction thread of why I think it likely we may not come home with the W. I hope Pete has a talk with Sherman and the others about their on-field trash talk / antics. I personally like it (as long as they're backing it up) but these refs seem to be easily influenced by the home crowd in these featured games (especially).

I also think SF is held in high regard by these old timer officials and they may not appreciate our young dread wearin' crazies disrespecting or playing too rough with them at home. I seriously believe the refs consider such things and favor the dynasty type teams (like Pittsburgh 05). Fortunately, Harbaugh is a punk...so hopefully that negates the above.

OP
OP
S

seahawks08

Reaction score
Richard did a fine job with Steve Smith in the Carolina game to get into his head, Brandon did a horrible job against Greg Jennings at the GB game, the idea is to get into their heads and not the other way round. I know opposing team WR's get worn out during the second half with the hard hitting football defense that we play, both teams play tough, so mental errors and mistakes are the key in my opinion. I know Pete wants this really bad, from the presser and his body language, he wasn't as jovial and laughing as he normally does. I hope the players really get behind Pete and give this to him. Beating 49ers would mean a lot to all of us:)