Pete calls Bevell (or his playcalling) dumb to his face.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Well, assuming that he said dumb and was angry, then we don't know what he's referring to as dumb. Bevell's playcalling? Wilson's play? Tate's routerunning? Did Wilson audible that screen? The play itself was horrible and Pete walks right past Bevell before saying it, so in all likelihood he was talking about the play call. But that doesn't mean he was. If more cracks begin to show between Pete and Bevell then we'll have a good indication that Pete's fed up with Bevell's playcalling. Until then, it's all conjecture at this point.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
This whole conversation is silly. At the end of the game he praised the coaches and Bevell in particular. I saw that same thing on the replay and I didn't see Bevell even in the picture, I took it to mean he was upset with the outcome of the play. That's my opinion.

I think poeple need to lay off the playcalling. Even the best playcalling means nothing if the execution sucks. Most were happy with the Edwards TD only because it worked out. It's easy to say that was a "dumb" playcall because it didn't work. if it did we'd all be like wow great call.

execution is more important than playcalling. The coaches are using much more sophistication in making there decisions than most realize. They know the tendencies of the defense in any given situation and have a number of plays to choose to exploit such tendencies.

Frankly I think the playcalling the last 2 games have been terrific. We haven't always executed properly- See Miller's Fumble, Lynch getting shut down on the 3rd and 1 on the 1st drive (McQuistan didn't try to block Spikes).

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Dumb? Damn? Doesn't matter to me- it's emotional during the game and neither need to be dissected as to why it was said.

Every play is designed for certain situations and are molded into the specific game plan each week. That 11x17 sheet with all of the plays and situations...that thing changes every week. The plays don't change, but the situations the plays need to be used for DO change. PC and Bevell design that sheet each week specific for the team we play. We all know that.

The play call there was the mastermind of a week's worth of designing the game plan. That play call was in the "3rd and middle in the RZ" section of the game plan. Guaranteed. If Obo holds onto that block for one more second, Tate has two options there that both get him the 5-6 yds he needed to get. If Obo hooks his guy a little, Tate can go to the sideline and score. At some point, we'll run this play with Tate, we'll execute it, and he'll run it for 15 yds and a TD.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Regardless of what PC said, that play call was dumb. WR screens and fades are so rarely effective for this team...I wish they would be retired for a while.

Basis4day

Reaction score
People are reading way, way too much into this.

Are we really to the point where we are trying to lip read Pete's reaction to a single play to justify our dissatisfaction with the playcalling in general?

Just a reminder, we beat the Patriots.
Just another reminder, we beat the Patriots by passing down the field and using Russell Wilson's scrambling ability by design.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Regardless, I'd love if Bevell stops calling those bubble screens - especially to Tate. It's sniffed out every time and he tries it every game. At least change up the formation a bit and try to be deceptive.

They ran a slip screen out of a bunch formation (I believe last season) that worked really well.

BigMeach

Reaction score
kearly":8nzdcrzx said:
I've defended Bevell plenty of times and will probably defend him more in the future, but that 3rd and 5 play call was retarded, with apologies to retarded people for being compared to that decision.

The only thing retarded is Oba's blocking.

seedhawk

Reaction score
2 truth's in the NFL. Most loved player is usually the backup Qb. Most hated coach is usually the OC.

We are doubly blessed. Read the gameday forum and BOTH Bradley and Bevel suck!

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
BAllenHawk":hipl2l47 said:
I was listening to Brock & Salk today. They had Jaws on today and he was actually praising Darl Bevell's play calling. Saying he was doing a great job simplifying the playbook and utilizing RW's skill set. Just some food for thought.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... and%20Salk
I heard that today too and thought of this thread. Bevell gets a lot of flak. Jaws made a good point, most OC's do. I know I'm guilty of getting mad at him. heck, I can't think of a single OC I haven't wanted to throw a brick at one time or the other. I can't recall a single person on .net who hasn't at one time or another railed at an OC.

chris98251

Reaction score
I will just say when you use one play enough everyone will key on it and it fools nobody, if your going to screen that side better to run the formation and bait the defense then dump to the back when everyone is wide for a screen outside the TE slot to a back or even have the TE float out there and dump it to him. This will stop the defense from sprinting wide as soon as they see the formation shift.

Hawks46

Reaction score
If it's the same play I am thinking of, maybe he was saying it was "dumb" that RW threw the ball there. The Pats had the play blown up, and when your screen is compromised, you throw the ball away, you don't just throw it anyways and either risk a pick or getting your guy killed.

I actually liked the play calling the last 2 games, and I think it could get even better as they install more of the offense. The Sidney Rice pass was a great wrinkle.

Sure, there's a few bad play calls, but we were all over Holmgren for this, and a lot more often. In fact, name a coach that all of us internet geniuses haven't castigated at one point or another for a poor play call.

Latest posts