does the short week favor the Seahawks??

jlwaters1

Reaction score
In terms of body recovery I would certainly think so. The question will be how much of a factor will it be without having the normal recovery time.

If you look at the 2 teams the 49ers are certainly older especially at the top end. SEattle has 1 player who is 31- Tru, the rest are 30 and younger. Meanwhile 49ers have 9 players 31+.

They'll got 11 guys 30 or older including

Justin Smith- DL = 33
Issac Sopoaga- DL = 31
Carlos Rodgers- CB =31
Jonathan Goodwin- C = 33
Randy Moss- WR = 35
Brandon Jacobs- RB = 30

Ages 29, 28 (10 total) include- Alex Smith-QB, Ray McDonald-DL, Frank Gore- RB (29), Vernon Davis-TE, Ahmad Brooks-LB, Dashon Goldson.

Meawhile the Seahawks ahve 7 guys 30+

Chris Clemmons- DE= 30
Leon Washington- RET = 30
Marcus Trfaunt- CB= 31
Leroy Hill- LB = 30

7 more players who are 28,29 years old including- Edward -WR, McQuistan-OL, Robinson- RB, Browner, CB, Red Bryant, DT

SO it will be interesting to see which teams has fresher legs in this game, as well as brings the most intensity as both teams had pretty big games last week.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Interesting angle...I'd say the younger team would have the advantage.

But that might be nullified with a 49ers team coming off an embarassing loss. They are going to come out ready to play and get that Giants game out of their heads.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I don't think the short week ever favors the team that has to travel.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
I don't know who it favors, but it sure makes it crappy for the fans. I'd much rather be reveling in this well-earned win over one of the league's showcase franchises than facing down a huge game against a motivated rival. I've been iffy about the concept from the beginning, but given how this year's schedule has worked out I'm sure of it: Thursday night football is a lousy, greedy idea.

The Radish

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1efw7b23 said:
HawkGA":1efw7b23 said:

Yep, this.

I would normally agree, but this week the trip is about 900 miles and in the same time zone. I think its a tossup.

ninners lost their hfa as far as I'm concerned because they got blasted last week. I think its way harder to get over that than our big win. If we get out and score right away, or get a take a way it could knock them back and let the doubts about how good they are in.

If we win this game convincingly I think the ninners might get set back a few weeks in their development. A close game would help them regain some of their swagger.

Their fans tho,,,,,,,

:roll:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3paarqna said:
HawkGA":3paarqna said:

Yep, this.

Yes. The radio guys here in SF have been saying how fortunate the 49ers are that this game is in SF. On short rest, the road team is always screwed. They said if this game was in Seattle, they would all pick Seattle to win. But since Seattle has to travel on short rest, they are picking the Niners. They said it has been a huge factor for teams this year (brought up the visiting Steelers vs Titans on TNF for example).

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
HawkFan72":64p7ypn9 said:
volsunghawk":64p7ypn9 said:
HawkGA":64p7ypn9 said:

Yep, this.

Yes. The radio guys here in SF have been saying how fortunate the 49ers are that this game is in SF. On short rest, the road team is always screwed. They said if this game was in Seattle, they would all pick Seattle to win. But since Seattle has to travel on short rest, they are picking the Niners. They said it has been a huge factor for teams this year (brought up the visiting Steelers vs Titans on TNF for example).

Sounds like wishful thinking more than anything. I think the median age of the specific roster matters.

For instance, the Steelers are ancient...

I like our chances as good as anyone to bounce back and be ready. And as mentioned, going to SF is not the same as traveling cross country or anything.

All said, I still think the schedule makers set us up for disaster with our schedule the first half. Amazingly, we are conquering it...slowly but surely.

Dren

Reaction score
I think this schedule at the moment favors the Seahawks. As I said before in a previous thread, the 49ers have a lot to fix after that last showing against the Giants with very little time to fix. Yeah we are traveling, but Seattle to San Fran is an extremely short distance compared to traveling to any other city for a Thursday night game.

JonRud

Reaction score
I loved what Pete said on Monday about this game. Instead of griping about the schedule [which I have been, I hate playing Thu. on the road]...he said it's really exciting, cool and a great challenge. I don't think these players are going to worry about short week & travel and all that.

I think it's a difficult game because of who we are playing against...but I don't think this Seahawks team will be affected by the short week. We are very healthy and I'm sure #3 has been watching game tape on the SF defense since the night we drafted him.

Soppie

Reaction score
volsunghawk":12m4bmtw said:
HawkGA":12m4bmtw said:

Yep, this.

How long is the flight really? An hour, maybe 1.5? Not like they are having to travel back east.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
I think we are getting them at the right time: our confidence is soaring yet STILL have a chip on our shoulder's to prove doubters wrong and on the NATIONAL STAGE AGAINST WHAT MANY CALLED THE BEST TEAM IN THE NFL JUST LAST WEEK. The Hawks WILL be ready! Also, if/when the Hawks get down a score or two, they seem to play even better to where a comeback is always possible.

The trip is a two hour flight in the same time zone for an evening game. Not sure...do the Hawks make the trip that morning? IMHO, the travel is a non-factor.

Still, we are in their house and both teams have to play on the short week. We can play loose and I think there is more pressure on SF to perform. Does this translate into a win? We'll find out soon!

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
BlueTalons":1agltidm said:
I think we are getting them at the right time: our confidence is soaring yet STILL have a chip on our shoulder's to prove doubters wrong and on the NATIONAL STAGE AGAINST WHAT MANY CALLED THE BEST TEAM IN THE NFL JUST LAST WEEK. The Hawks WILL be ready! Also, if/when the Hawks get down a score or two, they seem to play even better to where a comeback is always possible.

The trip is a two hour flight in the same time zone for an evening game. Not sure...do the Hawks make the trip that morning? IMHO, the travel is a non-factor.

Still, we are in their house and both teams have to play on the short week. We can play loose and I think there is more pressure on SF to perform. Does this translate into a win? We'll find out soon!

They are flying out this afternoon after practice.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Home teams on a short week are 11-3 the last 14 games, including Indy winning one of it's 2 wins last year. There were what can only be called upsets in that stretch. I'd say being the home team on a short week is probably worth 7 pts. Teams with winning records don't lose at home on a short week. We'd be the first to buck that trend if we knock off SF.

sam1313

Reaction score
I watched the Giants game last night, and the 49ers looked beat at the end of that game. The giants rookie running back was getting 10-15 yard runs, and it just looked like that D was whooped. And the Niner Offense just looked rattled as soon as they were down a couple of scores. I think this short week, under these circumstances, is really beneficial to the Seahawks. I am much happier we are playing tomorrow night than Sunday in this instance.

Largent80

Reaction score
Let me see.......We administered severe punishment, and the 9ers absorbed severe punishment.....

Hmmmmmmm....

I think we definitely have an advantage as far as that is concerned.

SirTed

Reaction score
I don't think the short week favors us. I think the situation favors the 9ers for two reasons:

1. Home Game.
2. Although they got blown out, they pulled a lot of starters by the 4th, while the Hawks were playing tough for 60min.

SirTed

Reaction score
Largent80":456j1vx6 said:
Playing tough makes you tougher, that has been my experience.

Could be, no doubt.

My thinking is strictly wear and tear on bodies, not so much the mental aspect. That was a really tough physical game with NE.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
Largent80":3qfg7ekv said:
Playing tough makes you tougher, that has been my experience.
This is also why I think once we weather the storm that is our first 8 games we will start to see a positive power shift.

IF we beat SF tomorrow night...finishing 10-6 would be a let down!

Latest posts