Fade route on 4th and 3...

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Fade route on 4th and 3...
Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:31 am
  • I thought it was a brilliant play. If you're gonna throw a fade, you either have someone capable of getting it like Aaron Hernandezs TD, or you throw it short to the back shoulder where your WR can make a last second adj.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:34 am
  • BigMeach wrote:Salish you do realize it was not the intended throw right? The throw was supposed to be to Tate. Braylon's route was intended to clear the left side.
    RW chose that receiver.

So you're saying the rookie made a low percentage play when a very high percentage play is what was called and what should have been thrown, but despite the process being flawed, he got the result?

You mean his TD pass wasn't proof of "progress" by our rookie QB?

That's blasphemy around here you know,
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:41 am
  • SalishHawkFan wrote:
    BigMeach wrote:Salish you do realize it was not the intended throw right? The throw was supposed to be to Tate. Braylon's route was intended to clear the left side.
    RW chose that receiver.

So you're saying the rookie made a low percentage play when a very high percentage play is what was called and what should have been thrown, but despite the process being flawed, he got the result?

Pete said it was an adjustment made at the LOS. Russell saw Braylon was one on one with the smaller rookie who (as others have stated) Russ is very familiar with, and makes a snap judgment call. I'd say that's progress.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:50 am
  • AbsolutNET wrote:
    CANHawk wrote:OMG, this so supports my belief that there's a whole pile of peeps on here who just love to bitch.

Run it on 4th and short? Sure, why not? Marshawn was running them into the ground all day. Wait a tick... no he wasn't. They slammed the door in his face damn near every time he touched the rock (as is evident in his season low 40 yards rushing). And you think they were just going to ignore Marshawn in that situation!? Rly?! Uh, no. no doubt they were all keyed up to defend the run on that play, but instead a good QB threw a great ball to an above average reciever who ran an AWESOME route and the result was a touchdown. Good call, good strategy, good execution. How are you actually going to complain about that?!

to quote Charlie Brown; Good Greif...

So basically you didn't actually read any of the posts of those that don't care for that play call.

They're probably all on ignore...
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:56 am
  • I'm not gonna lie... When he threw that ball I immediately swore at the tv because the fade route has not worked for them once this year from what I can remember. But then he caught the ball and I was jumping up and down :D
    edogg23
    NET Starter

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:00 am
  • edogg23 wrote:I'm not gonna lie... When he threw that ball I immediately swore at the tv because the fade route has not worked for them once this year from what I can remember. But then he caught the ball and I was jumping up and down :D

Same here...I watched it at EQC (which BTW if you haven't watched a game there, you should. Awesome atmosphere) half the people swore at the screen, I took off my hat and was getting ready to throw it, then BE made a great adj and the place erupted.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:04 am
  • -The Glove- wrote:
    SalishHawkFan wrote:
    BigMeach wrote:Salish you do realize it was not the intended throw right? The throw was supposed to be to Tate. Braylon's route was intended to clear the left side.
    RW chose that receiver.

Pete said it was an adjustment made at the LOS. Russell saw Braylon was one on one with the smaller rookie who (as others have stated) Russ is very familiar with, and makes a snap judgment call. I'd say that's progress.

If you're looking at process over results, then that's a borderline one right there. Going for such a low percentage play with the game on the line when going with the play as called would have had a much higher chance of success. On top of that, it's a pass to Braylon "butterfingers" Edwards. I wouldn't call it progress, I'd say no one is in any position ultimately to second guess Wilson however.

But if you're truly honest that you want to look at the process over the results, then I don't grade Wilson highly on that one.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:12 am
  • SalishHawkFan wrote:
    -The Glove- wrote:
    SalishHawkFan wrote:[quote="BigMeach"]Salish you do realize it was not the intended throw right? The throw was supposed to be to Tate. Braylon's route was intended to clear the left side.
    RW chose that receiver.

If you're looking at process over results, then that's a borderline one right there. Going for such a low percentage play with the game on the line when going with the play as called would have had a much higher chance of success. On top of that, it's a pass to Braylon "butterfingers" Edwards. I wouldn't call it progress, I'd say no one is in any position ultimately to second guess Wilson however.

But if you're truly honest that you want to look at the process over the results, then I don't grade Wilson highly on that one.[/quote]

Why not? I see it as a young QB recognizing a mismatch and exploiting it. Braylon Edwards has come up big for him before. He has no reason not to trust BE. Generally that play may be low percentage, but if you factor in BE's height and ball skills, Dennards lack of height and inexperience, then that play becomes a higher percentage one.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:13 am
  • Thanks for these pictures. I hated the play when the ball was in the air (fade routes just seem like a roll of the dice), but these pictures show why RW did what he did. Both the slot receiver and the receiver wide right have safeties lined up deep behind them. That means the man with shallow coverage can be a lot more aggressive in jumping short routes. Braylon (who is huge) appeared to be in 1:1 coverage against a much smaller corner, which in the red zone is a mismatch. As was mentioned, the primary receiver on the play may well have been Tate, but once Wilson saw the look that the defense gave, he thought the odds were better going to Braylon. THE OTHER THING is that this was not a typical fade route--this was a back shoulder play. The CB, being in 1:1 coverage against a taller guy with no help deep, was no doubt worried about the deep fade in the corner. This gave Braylon, already with a big size/strength advantage, an extra edge in getting position on the ball. This is a throw that they no doubt have worked on in practice, based on the execution and Wilson's confidence in choosing this route.

Great play.

drdiags wrote:Here is a shot from the All-22's

And as it develops further

A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:02 am
  • I use to think electricity was fast before I met the internet.

The same could be said about results mattering. Then I read this thread.

Radish nail it.
    AVL
    NET Starter

Previous

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:52 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information