Fade route on 4th and 3...

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
The underrated part of Wilson's game is his vision and how he sees a throw before his receivers break free. That vision and trust in your receivers is what will make him more like Rodgers and Brees than a Mike Vick.

olyfan63

Reaction score
And of course Wilson gained a lot of confidence in Braylon Edwards during the preseason, with Edwards making big plays for him on 50-50 balls that Wilson threw up and Edwards went after and won. A guy makes plays like that for you, and as a QB, you are going to make sure to go to him when you need someone to flat out make a play, and that's what Wilson did. Who says preseason is meaningless.

Fox0r

Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread, so I don't know if anyone pointed this out ... but when I re-watched this catch, I noticed we're lucky Braylon caught the ball. Right before it hits his body, he seems to look down and close his eyes. No idea why. But we're lucky he caught it.

EDIT: He may have been looking down for the sideline, but still ... he wasn't looking at the ball when he caught it.

BigMeach

Reaction score
This may have already been posted but I'm not going to read 3 pages to find out...

Stop with the Bevell hate.

RW decided to go with the risky throw here, and it's probably cause he saw Braylon 1 on 1 and it worked in the preseason so he went for it. But the bottom line is the call here is for Braylon to draw the left side of the field away so when Tate cuts over he is wide for the first down. This is blatantly obvious. It was a great play call and it is a very high percentage play to Tate. But RW went with the fade.

Stop trying to hate on Bevell when he called a great game.

Wait till we lose, jesus.

NavySeaHawk

Reaction score
It looks like a well designed play and the execution couldn't have been done better. I think the coaches deserve some credit for having the balls to do it. I think the aggressive play calling is what the offense needed. :mrgreen:

Seattle is going into the games dictating their attitude and making great adjustments, I see them doing the same thing in San fran.

:49ersmall:

No more :179422:

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Wow! the same people who say it's the process, not the results are the ones saying quit bitching, it was a touchdown. But just because the play worked doesn't mean it wasn't a stupid call. I can see that 4th and 3 is probably too far to give it to Marshawn. That's low percentage too. But a fade? Ugh, when is Bevell gonna call some high percentage plays on 3rd or 4th and short?

BigMeach

Reaction score
Salish you do realize it was not the intended throw right? The throw was supposed to be to Tate. Braylon's route was intended to clear the left side.
RW chose that receiver.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
CANHawk":j33qo8nn said:
OMG, this so supports my belief that there's a whole pile of peeps on here who just love to bitch.

Run it on 4th and short? Sure, why not? Marshawn was running them into the ground all day. Wait a tick... no he wasn't. They slammed the door in his face damn near every time he touched the rock (as is evident in his season low 40 yards rushing). And you think they were just going to ignore Marshawn in that situation!? Rly?! Uh, no. no doubt they were all keyed up to defend the run on that play, but instead a good QB threw a great ball to an above average reciever who ran an AWESOME route and the result was a touchdown. Good call, good strategy, good execution. How are you actually going to complain about that?!

to quote Charlie Brown; Good Greif...

So basically you didn't actually read any of the posts of those that don't care for that play call.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The point that it was a low % play is true but it was a pick the open guy route and the team likes using Edwards size.

For me the reality was the team needed to score and then score again so the risky play was an option that was realistic in the situation.

In the end your point is taken but the play worked and thus is moot.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I thought it was a brilliant play. If you're gonna throw a fade, you either have someone capable of getting it like Aaron Hernandezs TD, or you throw it short to the back shoulder where your WR can make a last second adj.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
BigMeach":7wflyw53 said:
Salish you do realize it was not the intended throw right? The throw was supposed to be to Tate. Braylon's route was intended to clear the left side.
RW chose that receiver.
So you're saying the rookie made a low percentage play when a very high percentage play is what was called and what should have been thrown, but despite the process being flawed, he got the result?

You mean his TD pass wasn't proof of "progress" by our rookie QB?

That's blasphemy around here you know,

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3q3ytuye said:
BigMeach":3q3ytuye said:
RW chose that receiver.
So you're saying the rookie made a low percentage play when a very high percentage play is what was called and what should have been thrown, but despite the process being flawed, he got the result?

Pete said it was an adjustment made at the LOS. Russell saw Braylon was one on one with the smaller rookie who (as others have stated) Russ is very familiar with, and makes a snap judgment call. I'd say that's progress.

CANHawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2wyfbpfk said:
CANHawk":2wyfbpfk said:
OMG, this so supports my belief that there's a whole pile of peeps on here who just love to bitch.

Run it on 4th and short? Sure, why not? Marshawn was running them into the ground all day. Wait a tick... no he wasn't. They slammed the door in his face damn near every time he touched the rock (as is evident in his season low 40 yards rushing). And you think they were just going to ignore Marshawn in that situation!? Rly?! Uh, no. no doubt they were all keyed up to defend the run on that play, but instead a good QB threw a great ball to an above average reciever who ran an AWESOME route and the result was a touchdown. Good call, good strategy, good execution. How are you actually going to complain about that?!

to quote Charlie Brown; Good Greif...

So basically you didn't actually read any of the posts of those that don't care for that play call.

They're probably all on ignore...

edogg23

Reaction score
I'm not gonna lie... When he threw that ball I immediately swore at the tv because the fade route has not worked for them once this year from what I can remember. But then he caught the ball and I was jumping up and down :D

-The Glove-

Reaction score
edogg23":bijqdgrt said:
I'm not gonna lie... When he threw that ball I immediately swore at the tv because the fade route has not worked for them once this year from what I can remember. But then he caught the ball and I was jumping up and down :D
Same here...I watched it at EQC (which BTW if you haven't watched a game there, you should. Awesome atmosphere) half the people swore at the screen, I took off my hat and was getting ready to throw it, then BE made a great adj and the place erupted.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1yii5y0o said:
SalishHawkFan":1yii5y0o said:
BigMeach":1yii5y0o said:
RW chose that receiver.

Pete said it was an adjustment made at the LOS. Russell saw Braylon was one on one with the smaller rookie who (as others have stated) Russ is very familiar with, and makes a snap judgment call. I'd say that's progress.
If you're looking at process over results, then that's a borderline one right there. Going for such a low percentage play with the game on the line when going with the play as called would have had a much higher chance of success. On top of that, it's a pass to Braylon "butterfingers" Edwards. I wouldn't call it progress, I'd say no one is in any position ultimately to second guess Wilson however.

But if you're truly honest that you want to look at the process over the results, then I don't grade Wilson highly on that one.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3u5ziw1l said:
-The Glove-":3u5ziw1l said:
SalishHawkFan":3u5ziw1l said:
BigMeach said:
RW chose that receiver.

If you're looking at process over results, then that's a borderline one right there. Going for such a low percentage play with the game on the line when going with the play as called would have had a much higher chance of success. On top of that, it's a pass to Braylon "butterfingers" Edwards. I wouldn't call it progress, I'd say no one is in any position ultimately to second guess Wilson however.

But if you're truly honest that you want to look at the process over the results, then I don't grade Wilson highly on that one.

Why not? I see it as a young QB recognizing a mismatch and exploiting it. Braylon Edwards has come up big for him before. He has no reason not to trust BE. Generally that play may be low percentage, but if you factor in BE's height and ball skills, Dennards lack of height and inexperience, then that play becomes a higher percentage one.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Thanks for these pictures. I hated the play when the ball was in the air (fade routes just seem like a roll of the dice), but these pictures show why RW did what he did. Both the slot receiver and the receiver wide right have safeties lined up deep behind them. That means the man with shallow coverage can be a lot more aggressive in jumping short routes. Braylon (who is huge) appeared to be in 1:1 coverage against a much smaller corner, which in the red zone is a mismatch. As was mentioned, the primary receiver on the play may well have been Tate, but once Wilson saw the look that the defense gave, he thought the odds were better going to Braylon. THE OTHER THING is that this was not a typical fade route--this was a back shoulder play. The CB, being in 1:1 coverage against a taller guy with no help deep, was no doubt worried about the deep fade in the corner. This gave Braylon, already with a big size/strength advantage, an extra edge in getting position on the ball. This is a throw that they no doubt have worked on in practice, based on the execution and Wilson's confidence in choosing this route.

Great play.

drdiags":3cho05hm said:
Here is a shot from the All-22's

Coach Clips

And as it develops further

Coach Clips 1

AVL

Reaction score
I use to think electricity was fast before I met the internet.

The same could be said about results mattering. Then I read this thread.

Radish nail it.

Latest posts