Clock on the Patriots last drive

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Not only that, but at the time I watched it I was looking at the replay and I didn't see any penalty in the first place. It looked to me like the sole reason for throwing that flag was to stop the clock. So this morning I went back and watched the play on DVR. I was right. There was no penalty. The flag didn't come out until Brady started to get sacked and the moment he started to go down, the flag flew out. If it had been a legit penalty call, that flag would have went out long before.

The ref ONLY threw that flag in order to stop the clock for the Pats. It was no coincidence therefore, that the refs "mistakenly" didn't run off the time.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I noticed that too. Hope the Hawks send that into the league office. Baghdad Mike Pereira equals a POS, but then again most already knew that.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I didn't notice it in the game, but I now see what is happening on DVR. Also, the Edwards TD wasn't even close to OPI, Edwards didn't do ANYTHING to that DB. I don't even think the DB did enough to warrant a flag, but he did make enough contact with the ball in the air. From 124 it looked like the DB was guilty of PI. Not so much on DVR.

It kind of looks like OPI from a distance on TV because of the separation, but that was all Edwards coming back. Of course that didn't stop the commentators later from mentioning it as OPI. Most of them haven't let go of the Tate catch. Evans? Just a solid prick.

strohmin

Reaction score
BlueTalon":167sh59t said:
HawkRiderFan":167sh59t said:
I tried asking Pereira on twiiter but apparrenly he was only watching our game long enough to complain that they got the interference wrong on the Edwards TD and that it should have been offensive interference :roll:
Damn replacement refs! Always screwing things up.

I hate Mike Perriera. I want to punch that guy in the face every time I see his stupid face. He reminds me of Mel Kiper whom I also want to punch in the face.

LusciousJames

Reaction score
NFL rule reference:
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/7_2012_Game_Timing.pdf

Scrimmage Down
Article 2 Following any timeout (3-36), the game clock shall be started on a scrimmage down when the ball is next snapped,
except in the following situations:
[...]
(f) If the game clock is stopped after a down in which there was a foul by either team, following enforcement or
declination of a penalty, the game clock will start as if the foul had not occurred, except that the clock will start on the
snap if:

(1) the foul occurs after the two-minute warning of the first half;
(2) the foul occurs inside the last five minutes of the second half; or
(3) a specific rule prescribes otherwise.

(i.e. They got it right.)

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
Yeah we were screaming at that one too... unbelieveable how they didn't start the clock. Wasn't a 10 sec run off cause there was like 1 03 left on the game clock, has to be under 1 min

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
jfurdell":23j0ox0e said:
NFL rule reference:
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/7_2012_Game_Timing.pdf

Scrimmage Down
Article 2 Following any timeout (3-36), the game clock shall be started on a scrimmage down when the ball is next snapped,
except in the following situations:
[...]
(f) If the game clock is stopped after a down in which there was a foul by either team, following enforcement or
declination of a penalty, the game clock will start as if the foul had not occurred, except that the clock will start on the
snap if:

(1) the foul occurs after the two-minute warning of the first half;
(2) the foul occurs inside the last five minutes of the second half; or
(3) a specific rule prescribes otherwise.

(i.e. They got it right.)
Well, I get what you're saying about they don't start the clock, but look at the play again and there is no penalty. No second man went in motion. And the flag comes out the moment Brady starts to go down. It's pretty obvious to me that the only reason the ref threw that flag was to have an excuse to stop the clock and buy NE more time. It's not like we Seahawk fans haven't seen this kind of manipulation by the refs over and over for decades now. That's why I immediately suspected what was going on and that's why I wasn't surprised when I went back on DVR and saw it was so obvious.

LusciousJames

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1wchyhkb said:
Well, I get what you're saying about they don't start the clock, but look at the play again and there is no penalty. No second man went in motion. And the flag comes out the moment Brady starts to go down. It's pretty obvious to me that the only reason the ref threw that flag was to have an excuse to stop the clock and buy NE more time. It's not like we Seahawk fans haven't seen this kind of manipulation by the refs over and over for decades now. That's why I immediately suspected what was going on and that's why I wasn't surprised when I went back on DVR and saw it was so obvious.

I also have it DVR'd and watched it again. The penalty was for illegal motion; the player in motion #84 was moving forward at the snap (hey look at that, it's Branch). There are two flags; the first one comes from the wing official on the near side of the field (the side Branch was on) and it's in the air before Brady was pressured. The other wing official on the far sideline does have a late flag; it's possible the man in motion away from him is supposed to be his responsibility.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
jfurdell":12mbw0b3 said:
SalishHawkFan":12mbw0b3 said:

I also have it DVR'd and watched it again. The penalty was for illegal motion; the player in motion #84 was moving forward at the snap (hey look at that, it's Branch). There are two flags; the first one comes from the wing official on the near side of the field (the side Branch was on) and it's in the air before Brady was pressured. The other wing official on the far sideline does have a late flag; it's possible the man in motion away from him is supposed to be his responsibility.
I'll look at it again, but I thought the call was that two men went into motion. You may be right. I was looking for the second person going into motion, not if Branch turned upfield before the snap. I definitely only saw one flag, however. I'll check that too. Everyone is asleep now, so I'll do it in the morning.