Fade route on 4th and 3...

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Looking at the All-22 pictures provided by the good doctordiags, I have to say, there's a lot of space on that field, as though the Patriots knew they had to be ready for anything. That's some nice work by the offense to keep the defense on their toes, and if so, it goes a long way to making this a higher percentage playcall.

chawx

Reaction score
bellingerga":190p9vm5 said:
Did he blow the coverage? My recollection was that it was great coverage but Russell threw it in a place where Braylon had to make an incredible adjustment and manuever to get to it. Not sure I would consider that blown coverage, the guy was with Edwards step by step, it was just an incredible adjustment on Edwards part to make that catch.

OR...in the huddle, Bevell tells Russ that they're overplaying the fade. Tell Braylon to sell the fade and as the ball is thrown, to come back to it. (Of course he said it in code: I-E Zebra 2, Cover Banana, 3 Bangers and Mash on 2)

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I hate fade routs. They are such low percentage. They also ran that awful fade to the sideline on 3rd and 2 on the 2nd to last possession, and RW3 threw it out of bounds. I am obviously thrilled that the TD worked out, but if that pass had not been caught, I would be leading the angry mob.

SirTed

Reaction score
I hated it. I hate it now. It was a horrible play call, period. Yes, I know we scored, but it is possible to have a good outcome from a really shitty call, just like it's possible to have a really bad outcome from a great call.

As others have said, I hate that call because it has such a low percentage of success. The upside to a fade is that it has a low percentage of interception but that shouldn't really matter on 4th down.

I don't know. I hate the fade all the time, I REALLY hate it on 4th down. And to say that we don't know who the primary's are, etc is silly because Wilson didn't bother with one read on that play. Edwards was the only read.

hawker84

Reaction score
not a bevell fan at all... to fricken predictable, and i was not happy with that 2 minute offense at the end of the game, why were we huddling????? do we have a two minute offense? just weird to me... against the niners - run, run pass on 3rd and long, get use to seeing that.... it's the scary niners better put the handcuffs back on

seanoob

Reaction score
It was great to get the catch (and the PI). On one of the talk shows, they were talking about Tate would have been a higher percentage target, but he was not quite open at the moment the ball was thrown.

To be sure in the future, let's have sidney split the defenders from now on.

Side note...Was braylon inbounds? I watched the replay on the jumbotron and then a dozen times when I got home. Didn't seem like 2 feet inbounds, but maybe his knee and elbow was inbounds? Oh well, whatever, ruled TD.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
The Radish":2d8uc0ei said:
You're right. I shouldn't have said pissing and moaning. But since you now are still talking about it wouldn't that be whining?

:roll:

Again I refuse to entertain any bad news when we only have until thursday to enjoy beating the freaking Patriots!!!

GIAFB Radish. You of all people, with your 11000+ posts should know better by now. If you don't like the OP...move along. Save your $.02, maybe let it accrue some interest for another topic. No need to belittle. Live and let live.

To the OP. I hate hate hate that play myself, especially on 4th down. When i saw what was going down i let out a very loud "F-bomb, this play never works....Yay! It worked!"

But, even had it not worked we still would have had a first down due to the DPI, so we had that going for us.

pehawk

Reaction score
hawker84":yind0cwv said:
not a bevell fan at all... to fricken predictable, and i was not happy with that 2 minute offense at the end of the game, why were we huddling????? do we have a two minute offense? just weird to me... against the niners - run, run pass on 3rd and long, get use to seeing that.... it's the scary niners better put the handcuffs back on

I hate Bevell as much as the next, BUT, the huddle was part of the play design for the Sydney bomb, IMO. It added to getting the Pats to bite on the same formation, motion being used.

CANHawk

Reaction score
OMG, this so supports my belief that there's a whole pile of peeps on here who just love to bitch.

Run it on 4th and short? Sure, why not? Marshawn was running them into the ground all day. Wait a tick... no he wasn't. They slammed the door in his face damn near every time he touched the rock (as is evident in his season low 40 yards rushing). And you think they were just going to ignore Marshawn in that situation!? Rly?! Uh, no. no doubt they were all keyed up to defend the run on that play, but instead a good QB threw a great ball to an above average reciever who ran an AWESOME route and the result was a touchdown. Good call, good strategy, good execution. How are you actually going to complain about that?!

to quote Charlie Brown; Good Greif...

largenutz

Reaction score
They talked about this Monday on Brock and salk with coach Carroll, and said its a 50% chance of completing IIRC. Coach said it was not a designed play for Edwards but 1st option was Tate, but changed call at los. I think I'm remembering most of it right, bc I thought the 50% thing was high. And it might not have been Tate. Check out the podcast if you're really interested about the playcall, it was defiinitely discussed.

Starrman44

Reaction score
CANHawk":2pltt42w said:
OMG, this so supports my belief that there's a whole pile of peeps on here who just love to bitch.

Run it on 4th and short? Sure, why not? Marshawn was running them into the ground all day. Wait a tick... no he wasn't. They slammed the door in his face damn near every time he touched the rock (as is evident in his season low 40 yards rushing). And you think they were just going to ignore Marshawn in that situation!? Rly?! Uh, no. no doubt they were all keyed up to defend the run on that play, but instead a good QB threw a great ball to an above average reciever who ran an AWESOME route and the result was a touchdown. Good call, good strategy, good execution. How are you actually going to complain about that?!

I think Vince Wilfork ate an elephant last week and grew another hundred pounds. That dude is massive. I wanted him so bad when he came out, I think we ended with Marcus Tubbs or something.

Anyway, the way they threw that ball, if they knew how the D was playing it and the D played as expected, it was an easy interference call. The defender didn't even try to make an adjustment, and Braylon caught it just to be sure.

At some point, if we are going to the playoffs, the training wheels gotta come off and we gotta believe that our guys are going to make the play. It starts with the guys in the Locker Room first and foremost (and that includes the coaches). They have to know before we do that they can trust other guys to make a play. They showed a lot of trust in Braylon in that situation and it just brings him into the fold a little more.

If Braylon Edwards can get on track and give us something down the stretch it is going to make our receiving corp so much better. He has so much going for him from a physicality standpoint.

SirTed

Reaction score
CANHawk":invlqzn4 said:

I don't disagree about the amount of bitching that goes on around here but in this case I'm one of the bitches...so...

What exactly made that a good route? Or a good throw? The fact that Wilson didn't throw it out of bounds or get it picked? The fact that Edwards caught it? I'm not trying to be shitty, but I think the fade is judged strictly on success. The throw and catch look different every time it's run. There's hardly a diagram except for "throw it high" .

And my whole argument is that the all-time success rate of the fade is like 10%, so that's why I hate that call. I'm not advocating for a run to Marshawn, but for that to be the call on 4TH DOWN seems completely ridiculous to me.

12thMan1

Reaction score
I think fades are probably actually the best type of play in call in those situations. You more than likely will have a one on one match up and you usually will only do them with your bigger receivers. Plus they have the most potential for drawing a PI flag which actually occured this particular play.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, some peeps are forgetting, it seems, that the flag WAS thrown on that play. Braylon, to use a basketball term, drew the PI call. Some WRs are good at that. Plus, on that route, if the DB is strictly covering the man and not looking for the ball, the QB underthrows intentionally, and when the WR cuts back for the ball, the PI is nearly automatic. Conversely, if the DB is looking back for the ball, the WR can shake loose for an easy reception.

So, the third possibility, one which actually was in play, was that we would have been 1st and goal at the 1 anyway.

The call was not that bad IMHO.

The Radish

Reaction score
400WattHPSHawk":305hlcwe said:
The Radish":305hlcwe said:
You're right. I shouldn't have said pissing and moaning. But since you now are still talking about it wouldn't that be whining?

Again I refuse to entertain any bad news when we only have until thursday to enjoy beating the freaking Patriots!!!

GIAFB Radish. You of all people, with your 11000+ posts should know better by now. If you don't like the OP...move along. Save your $.02, maybe let it accrue some interest for another topic. No need to belittle. Live and let live.

To the OP. I hate hate hate that play myself, especially on 4th down. When i saw what was going down i let out a very loud "F-bomb, this play never works....Yay! It worked!"

But, even had it not worked we still would have had a first down due to the DPI, so we had that going for us.

Wait, wait, WAIT!!! Hey 400watt are you trying to tell you I'm not allowed to post my views and you are? The difference is when I'm wrong I admit it. When you and the OP were wrong you refuse to admit it. Not only that you scream at anyone else that doesn't agree with you.

If you read J.D.Robb like I do you will understand when I say "BITE ME". If you don't,,,well you should. :D

This entire place including yours truly have bitch, pissed, and moaned, about the team and its play calling for 6 games. Jokes on us, we're 4-2. Sadly where calling good/bad plays are concerned we pretty much suck at it even tho we think we could run an NFL team way better than any of the coaching staffs.

Again I say,,,,,the jokes on us!

I just said its a short week, why spoil our 3 days before the next game whining about what COULD have gone wrong?

I'm reminded of last week when they called the fake punt and ran it out of the end zone. I'm not saying you but lots of people screamed how that was a terrible call. I said at the time and still say,,,it was brilliant! Took time off the clock, gained us 20 yards, a free kick, and they still needed a TD to beat us.

So both those plays went against our sensibility? And how dumb does it make us look to do whatever it is you are calling it, to complain now after the fact.

You are great at making the calls AFTER THEY HAVE HAPPENED!

How good would you be if you had to make a call right frickin now, without the beauty of hindsight?

They made both calls, we won both games. Youse guys are really stretching complaining now.

The Radish

Reaction score
And one more thing. I'm sitting here laughing at the fact that I'm being bitched at for bitching at someone else for bitching. lol

boy that will make your head hurt. Or at least it does mine.

Can we have peace now?

Les

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
That fade to Braylon hung in the air for awhile and may have been defended by a better corner had it not been thrown early and so far behind Braylon. After seeing it again I think that play was brilliant and well calculated play.
I think Edwards and Rice were both running fade routes. Russell read it well and chose to go with Edwards because he was 1 on 1 with the 5'10" rookie Dennard. Wilson knew he had a mismatch and he threw the pass early enough and with enough air that Braylon had time to fend off the rookie corner before coming back for the ball.
Remember that Wilson and his Badgers beat up on Nebraska and Denard last year--final score was 48-17. Wilson is quite familiar with Dennard who was a nonfactor in that classic blowout.

CANHawk

Reaction score
SirTed":r2b5p3fz said:
CANHawk":r2b5p3fz said:

I don't disagree about the amount of bitching that goes on around here but in this case I'm one of the bitches...so...

What exactly made that a good route? Or a good throw? The fact that Wilson didn't throw it out of bounds or get it picked? The fact that Edwards caught it? I'm not trying to be shitty, but I think the fade is judged strictly on success. The throw and catch look different every time it's run. There's hardly a diagram except for "throw it high" .

And my whole argument is that the all-time success rate of the fade is like 10%, so that's why I hate that call. I'm not advocating for a run to Marshawn, but for that to be the call on 4TH DOWN seems completely ridiculous to me.

You basterd, you're going to make me rant on the tablet!? Fine...

It was a good route because Braylon. Put himself into a position to catch the ball, in bounds, in the endzone, with a good two yards of separation AND drawing a PI. If you don't think that's a great route, then your standards are way too high.

It was a great throw because Rusty put the ball where only his man could catch it (in bounds), he put it there softly enough so his man could catch it, but fast enough so the db didn't have any time to adjust (but not so fast that it went through Braylon's famously suspect hands). If you don't think that was a great pass, your standards might be a bit too high.

Everyone keeps moaning about "omg, fade route, I's so skurred", but that's a BIG BOY pass and Rusty dropped that back shoulder fade right where you need to. And he did it like a fricken BOSS! We've been wailing for a qb who can make that throw for YEARS, but now that we seem to have one, we want him to throw nothing but 3 yard ins. Shit, just can't please people these days.....

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
12thMan1":1td4quve said:
I think fades are probably actually the best type of play in call in those situations. You more than likely will have a one on one match up and you usually will only do them with your bigger receivers. Plus they have the most potential for drawing a PI flag which actually occured this particular play.

In this case it was probably the best play to call given the matchup. The tall veteran receiver going 1 on 1 against the smaller rookie corner Dennard whose tendencies Wilson knew quite well from his game against Nebraska last year. Wilson studied quite a bit of tape on Dennard last year and let's just say he was prepared. He knew what he had before the ball was snapped. It was a good timing route and great effort by Edwards. What was genius about it was that Wilson got away with lofting a soft catchable ball because he threw it early and placed it low and outside.