Sherman should tone it down a little

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Sherman should tone it down a little
Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:59 pm
  • drdiags wrote:As our young players transition to veterans, their personalities will come forward. Pete may talk with Richard to try to cap any bulletin board material, but in the end Sherman would not be the first DB to run off at the mouth. I like the "walk softly and carry a big stick" type approach to shutting folks up but in this hype-driven league, those who feel they aren't getting any generate their own.

If Sherman didn't play for the Seahawks, I probably would just consider him a jackass, but he is a Seahawk so I just accept him, warts and all.

Brady does talk crap, so it isn't like he doesn't like mixing it up. It should have stayed on the field in my opinion but Sherman chose not to keep it there. To the victor goes the spoils I gather.

I agree completely.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:12 pm
  • I dont recall him publicly trash talking Romo, Newton, Kolb, Rodgers, Bradford.
    Brady must have done something to really get under his skin.
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:19 pm
  • When you have a team that is good enough to trash talk AFTER the game. That is a Great thing!
    every one talks smack during the game. But to do it after= win!!! TALK IT UP BOYS

I am greatful we have a team that is good enough to talk trash after a big game like this.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!!!
    The Seahawk Domination is upon us!
    SeahawksRawk
    * #1 TOP SUPPORTER *
    * #1 TOP SUPPORTER *

Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:19 pm
  • Tone it down? Bleh. Brady didn't show us any respect either. We're a team of competitors and we have swagger. Sherm has swagger in spades and I love it. We've been missing that "Don't f*** with us" attitude for a long time and it's back.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:18 pm
  • was anything sherman said untrue? from what i heard he told it how it is. cant argue with that
    PAT206
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:04 pm
  • HawksFTW wrote:Let Sherm be Sherm. He is at his best when he is running his mouth. It was worse last year, because he didn't keep himself in check during the game, and was called multiple times for penalties after plays. This year, he is keeping his anger controlled, and playing clean football. A good example of this was the Carolina game, against Steve Smith. Sherm gets under people's skin, and backs it up with SOLID cornerback play. There is little anyone can do to stop either one.

I fully support Sherman's attitude.

Exactly...he's a lot smarter about his trash talking. He seems to have grown and obviously cares a lot about this team and the fans.

A sure sign of his growth was in practice when Lane, I think, lost his cool and tried to fight, Sherm snatched him up and talked to him.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:20 pm
  • -The Glove- wrote:Damn Shark, not to be on your nuts, but you're on a roll today. First the post to the Pats fan and now this? Good stuff, man. And extra kudos for bringing up Gary. He was and still is one of the most popular athletes (not talking about in the media-with other athletes and entertainers, he's a popular man.)

I was going to say, Shark, you're killin' it "my brotha" (see what I did there)!

Bringing the A game to the board. Love it.

As for Sherm, I absolutely love it. I'm so beyond tired of being considered a soft, mediocre, afterthought, joke of a team in South Alaska. If poah wittle Tommy's feelings get hurt, TOO BAD. And that goes for every other team, player, coach in the NFL. Gary Payton is one of my all-time favorite sports figures and our defense seems to have that GP Mentality.

Don't apologize for it, KEEP IT UP!

"We're picking up speed. The train is coming." - Earl Thomas 11/15/14
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:22 pm
  • PAT206 wrote:was anything sherman said untrue? from what i heard he told it how it is. cant argue with that

He called the Pats a "gimick" offense. That's not true at all and sounds kind of dumb after he just dropped 400 yards on you.
    TJH
    *NET #1 Sherman Fan*

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:22 pm
  • I love the swag and his reference to team . Screwit . If you can walk the walk .....
    hawkfannj
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:40 pm
  • TJH wrote:
    PAT206 wrote:was anything sherman said untrue? from what i heard he told it how it is. cant argue with that

He called the Pats a "gimick" offense. That's not true at all and sounds kind of dumb after he just dropped 400 yards on you.

Football games are won on points, not yards.
    Just like baseball games are won on runs, not hits.
    That gimick offense went 1 for 6 in the redzone, maybe because the gimicks it uses are only effective against the Seahawks between the 20's.
    Escamillo
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:42 pm
  • I get the feeling that some Seahawks fans were more comfortable with the nice guys, soft guys, that did public service announcements for milk back in the Zorn/Largent days. :p
    Escamillo
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:48 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    -The Glove- wrote:Damn Shark, not to be on your nuts, but you're on a roll today. First the post to the Pats fan and now this? Good stuff, man. And extra kudos for bringing up Gary. He was and still is one of the most popular athletes (not talking about in the media-with other athletes and entertainers, he's a popular man.)

I was going to say, Shark, you're killin' it "my brotha" (see what I did there)!

Bringing the A game to the board. Love it.

As for Sherm, I absolutely love it. I'm so beyond tired of being considered a soft, mediocre, afterthought, joke of a team in South Alaska. If poah wittle Tommy's feelings get hurt, TOO BAD. And that goes for every other team, player, coach in the NFL. Gary Payton is one of my all-time favorite sports figures and our defense seems to have that GP Mentality.

Don't apologize for it, KEEP IT UP!

Thanks fellas. I've been needing a pick me up. The past while has really sucked. I just wanted to thank you for your kind words. I kind of went off a little today, but it felt good to mix it up a bit. :) I really appreciate your kind words. You both made my day!
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:08 pm
  • I have missed this kind of trash talk on any Seattle team since the Glove! Love it
    Maybe too much Ruskell nice guy stuffed down my face but these boys BACK IT UP! I think it plays a big role in how opponents play against us and seems to be effective
    ...And Jerramy Stevens doesn't count :roll:
    Last edited by dunceface on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:09 pm
  • I just have a few posts so far, (so take this with the "new guy" grain of salt)... I have a lot of respect for Brady and the Pats but I love what I am seeing from this Hawks team. The comparison to Gary P is pretty right on. Sherm is doing a great job and so he called brady out on his disrespect. Personally, I love seeing our team show some passion and care as much about other teams (and even network commentators) dissing our city as much as us fans do. Pretty funny hearing him call him the Brady Bunch, LOL. ...as long as we can back it up. At the end of the day, we win this one and on to the next one. I doubt any more quarterbacks will tell this defense to "come see him after they win" this year.

But why isn't anyone talking about the real person who should "tone it down" and come back to reality...? Is this a designer bathrobe Tom is wearing???

Last edited by bobincovington on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    bobincovington
    NET Rookie

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:23 pm
  • Escamillo wrote:
    TJH wrote:
    PAT206 wrote:was anything sherman said untrue? from what i heard he told it how it is. cant argue with that

That gimick offense went 1 for 6 in the redzone, maybe because the gimicks it uses are only effective against the Seahawks between the 20's.

What makes it a gimmick?
    TJH
    *NET #1 Sherman Fan*

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:48 pm
  • No way I dont want him to tone it down. His trash talk always cracks me up.
    strohmin
    NET Starter

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:00 pm
  • Aw who's the genius that f'd up the screen.....
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:05 pm
  • CANHawk wrote:Aw who's the genius that f'd up the screen.....

Fix'd.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:14 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    CANHawk wrote:Aw who's the genius that f'd up the screen.....

Fix'd.

Thank you squire.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:22 pm
  • Brady's response today:

"(Sherman's) a very good player, and I have a lot of respect for that defense and certainly that secondary," Brady told Jim Gray on Dial Global Sports, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. "They play very well together. My dad taught me at a young age to play with class and respect and give my opponents respect, and certainly I have a lot of respect for the Seahawks."
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:23 pm
  • NO. There is no need for him to tone anything down. He is being the voice of this team and the 12th Man, he is saying what we have all been saying/thinking all along! We all want to tell the networks how we are tired of their crap, but that's not going to happen. From here on out I say we call him Richard THE VOICE Sherman! Be yourself Sherm and thanks for having your team and the 12th Mans back!
    The 12th Commandment:

THOU SHALL STAY LOUD N PROUD! GO HAWKS!
    12thMode
    NET Starter

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:34 pm
  • couldn't disagree more.
    What's Next? What's Next? What's N-X-E-T...?"
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:38 pm
  • @ the OP. What if the trash talk is what baited Tom into challenging Sherman and led to that interception? Then is it a bad idea or weak sauce?
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:42 pm
  • Sherman is smart. He's not flappin' his gums just to make noise. Man knows EXACTLY what he is doing. Like one of the KJR guys said today, he's the "spokesman" for this secondary. While they all play heads-up, smash-mouth, chip-on-the-shoulder, TEAM football, Sherman is simply the extrovert of the group. He's just saying what they (and many of us) are thinking. Personally, I couldn't think of a better voice to fit the attitude and play of our defense.
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:54 pm
  • GoldenTater81 wrote:I do not want him to tone it down.. I want teams to hate us.. I want to be an island here on the west coast that is talked about because teams hate to play us..

I am tired of the warm, cuddly Seahawks we have had the last 10 years.. I love a guy who is willing to talk and then back it up by shutting down his side of the field..

I am mostly tired of people finding out i am a seahawks fan and laughing because of the mediocrity we have been going through.. I want them to be pissed off and remember a time when a Seahawk punched them in the mouth and walk away irritated.

I'm with you and not the OP. We have a very tough defense that is feelin it, let the other team know it and there are people that think we need to tone it down a little bit. Let me guess, youre a Sounders fan.
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:59 pm
  • Tom should quit letting his wife dress him.....
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:12 pm
  • Who remembers when George Karl let Gary go 1 on 1 w/ Jordan in the 96 finals? Gary shut Jordan down that game, got in his head, and it lead to a Sonics win. Richard Sherman just pulled a Gary Payton on the Jordan of the NFL. He's got every right to talk about it. Richard Sherman is the best player in the NFL that the majority of fans have never heard of. They're going to hear a lot more about him every week from here on out. Mission accomplished IMO.
    Navyhawkfan187
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:59 am
  • TJH wrote:
    Escamillo wrote:

What makes it a gimmick?[/quote]

The gimmick is to exploit the short dink and dunk crap. It's totally a gimmick. Not saying it doesn't work, hell, that's what gimmicks are for. And if you trick the other team into cheating up to stop the gimmick, you get burned long like ET did. Sherman is 100% right on this one.
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:45 am
  • I disagree with the op. Tom talked trash and got it back. Nuff said.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:51 am
  • Interesting Read... http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... rmans-talk

Seems like former players turned analysts are okay with Sherman's talk...so I'm assuming we should be just fine with it as well...moving on.
    chawx
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:55 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I agree. I love the attitude but I hope he settles down just a bit. We could still go 4-12 and then he'd look really silly.

Not that I think we're gonna go 4-12, I'm just sayin.

Um, he wouldn't look silly. He trashed the guy that trashed him and Earl and the 12th Man. The other games don't come into play for this.
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:56 am
  • http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... et-him-off

Sherman was on NFLAM this morning as well. Above is a link to the article and video of his appearance. Seems like most people are having some fun with it.

I love the part of the video where he gets to tell them about how they felt about their Pretenders/Contenders segment last week calling the Seahawks Pretenders

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:26 am
  • I don't care, all I know is if you are going to talk you gotta back it up. I like being the aggressor.
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:39 am
  • Starrman44 wrote:I don't care, all I know is if you are going to talk you gotta back it up. I like being the aggressor.

Yep, I know in those times in my "sporting life" where I've talked a lot of shit going into a contest, I've worked extra hard to make sure I don't look like a total asshat for saying what I said. If that's what Sherman needs to do to play at the peak of his potential, then I'm all for it.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:11 pm
  • Didn't think this was such a big deal when I first read about it. A few days later, both brady and sherm have said the right things. Just keep on getting picks.
    seanoob
    NET Rookie

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:25 pm
  • The Hawks went on the radar Sunday. It’s sad to say but one of the primary reasons was Sherm talking smack. The media is starting to love them, part of that is SWAG. If they keep it up (and it appears they will) come Friday morning the world is going to know what we know.

welcome to primetime :snack:
    "Horse horse, did you see the size of that chicken?"
    TaterHawk
    NET Rookie

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:27 pm
  • TaterHawk wrote:The Hawks went on the radar Sunday. It’s sad to say but one of the primary reasons was Sherm talking smack. The media is starting to love them, part of that is SWAG. If they keep it up (and it appears they will) come Friday morning the world is going to know what we know.

Agreed. I did note that Sherm apparently took down the "U mad bro?" pic he tweeted Sunday night, and I am assuming that PC said that was a little too far. That is fine with me. It is also fine with me that Sherm is talking it up before, during and after our games - and most importantly backing that talk up. I freaking love this Defense, I love this team, IMHO it has NEVER BEEN BETTER TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN!!!! (Talk all you want about 2005, it wasn't nearly as fun for me because it wasn't the type of football I wanted to see us play.)
    "I want to drink Ranier Beer out of a mug made from Jim harbaugh's hollowed out skull." CANHAWK
    sam1313
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:52 pm
  • TaterHawk wrote:The Hawks went on the radar Sunday. It’s sad to say but one of the primary reasons was Sherm talking smack. The media is starting to love them, part of that is SWAG. If they keep it up (and it appears they will) come Friday morning the world is going to know what we know.

Agreed. I did note that Sherm apparently took down the "U mad bro?" pic he tweeted Sunday night, and I am assuming that PC said that was a little too far. That is fine with me. It is also fine with me that Sherm is talking it up before, during and after our games - and most importantly backing that talk up. I freaking love this Defense, I love this team, IMHO it has NEVER BEEN BETTER TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN!!!! (Talk all you want about 2005, it wasn't nearly as fun for me because it wasn't the type of football I wanted to see us play.)
    "I want to drink Ranier Beer out of a mug made from Jim harbaugh's hollowed out skull." CANHAWK
    sam1313
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:02 pm
  • Deion Branch was talking ish after the game and his team LOST. Why don't the Pats fans and national media tell him to tone it down? Branch hasn't done crap his whole career aside from one freaking game. Most overrated player in NFL history.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:08 pm
  • Doh! Sorry about double post.
    sam1313
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:13 pm
  • sam1313 wrote:
    TaterHawk wrote:The Hawks went on the radar Sunday. It’s sad to say but one of the primary reasons was Sherm talking smack. The media is starting to love them, part of that is SWAG. If they keep it up (and it appears they will) come Friday morning the world is going to know what we know.

He said that the Seahawks media office ordered him to take down the tweet, so he was just following orders. :) But he was chuckling when he said that, so he wasn't mad about it or anything like that. :D
    Escamillo
    NET Rookie

Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:02 pm
  • Brady is a big boy. If he can dish it...he can take it. I wouldn't change Sherman for the world. :th2thumbs:

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:34 pm
  • I happen to take some offence to the comment brady made, as i am there every game screaming and i'm not going to stop.
    I"M glad he is giving it back, I was in san fran this morning, and they loved it.. all the 9ers fans.... PS: they dont like the kapernick trickery

VinceDee wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    So it was ok for Brady to talk trash during the game, telling Sherman to come talk to him after the game, but when Sherman actually does, then it's bad form? Ok got it :roll:

I knew this was coming, so let me point out that it was Sherman who started the trash talking. Read the linked article. Sherman took offense to the relatively innocuous comments made by Brady earlier in the week (about quieting the crowd, etc), so he trash talked Brady during the game...several times...until Brady responded.
    --/*Seattle Seahawks*\--
    hawks4thewin
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:43 pm
  • This isn't the first time Dick has had his way with an asshole, and then told people about it. . .
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:59 am
  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:This isn't the first time Dick has had his way with an asshole, and then told people about it. . .

:shock:
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:08 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    VinceDee wrote:http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/8508095/richard-sherman-gloats-seattle-seahawks-top-gimmick-new-england-patriots

I like the "swag" and attitude of our defense, and I like Sherman's attitude and aptitude in general, but this constant chattering and then trash talking Tom Brady after the game is a little low rent, IMO. For one thing, the Tom Brady led Patriots have accomplished WAY more than we have at this point in history, and certainly more than Richard Sherman has. Brady is worthy of a little more respect than Sherman gave him here. Another point is that it's not like our defense completely shut them down...we just minimized the damage somewhat. On top of that, this wasn't quite the same as most of our games, where the defense basically had to win it and hope that the offense could score "just enough". The offense had to bail the team out (which it did, fortunately). Brady and company, particularly in the first half, were almost scary good, and it was clear that whatever plan our defense had going into the game wasn't working and had to be modified. For crying out loud, we were down by two touchdowns with 8 minutes left. This could have easily been a loss. Would Richard Sherman have sought out Tom Brady after the game then? Not likely, for the same reason that all those yacky 49ers fans have mysteriously disappeared from all the various discussion boards today.

In my opinion, trash talk is weak sauce. I'm guess I'm okay with it if you're just trying to get into your opponents head during the game, but Sherman hounded Brady afterwards and even tweeted with the pictures after the game...that's unnecessary.

So it was ok for Brady to talk trash during the game, telling Sherman to come talk to him after the game, but when Sherman actually does, then it's bad form? Ok got it :roll:

Exactly...he told him to come see him after they won...I woudl have done the same thing... :th2thumbs:
    hawksmode
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Previous

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:25 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information