End of 1st clock management

mikeak

Reaction score
I don't have the game on DVR but we had the ball at what should have been the end of the game. We took our sweet time - ran once, ran twice and then threw.

Here is my issue. If we had thrown downfield (like end of game) no issue. Instead we were slow running the ball, ran as we were running out the clock and then about 40 secs we try to suddenly pick up a first down and throw the ball instead of letting it basically run out........

I think it was poorly played. Run three times, be slow and let the clock run out or be in a hurry-up. To come up with an in-between on 3rd down just isn't smart in my mind.

Then it didn't help with the punt and we were lucky that NE didn't score (yes I credit the defense but we were still lucky)

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Both teams bungled end of half clock management. But ours wasnt as bad as theirs. Their mismanagement of the clock cost them the game.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Sometimes at the end of half I don't know if they're trying to score or run out the clock. Sometimes I'm not sure they know.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
I disgree. NE had 6 seconds to run a play and they did. Seahawks got the pressure on and Brady got rid of the ball and was flagged for intentional grounding. It wasn't mismanagement it was a gamble that 7 points was worth the risk of running one more play especially since Brady hardly ever gets sacked. They can run quick slants and expected a play in 3-4 secs and they ran it.

I don't mind that call at all to be honest with you and I wouldn't have minded it the other way. You gamble at different places in the game.

The pass on 3rd down for a first down by the Seahawks basically had no upside compared to running the clock out or at least more of the clock. If we had passed on first second and third down to move the ball - hey no issue with it. I have an issue with how we played the set of downs

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3kpmq5gh said:
Sometimes at the end of half I don't know if they're trying to score or run out the clock. Sometimes I'm not sure they know.

This is my point and it is not the first time. 3rd and 7 isn't the time to try to move the ball....

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1bysbxnq said:

I think that is exactly it.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
this has been an issue for this staff. Since season 1. I was screaming at my tv at the end of a half. I think i was yelling that i had never seen a team huddle under 2 minutes!

hawker84

Reaction score
ya that's what i was saying, end of the game down by 6 . 2 minute warning behind us, we run the ball then huddle up???????what? where was the hurry up offense, 2 minute drill? we got lucky we scored on that pass, we took 27 seconds between the 1 run play and that touchdown catch... that's a long time in between plays when there's less than 2 minutes on the clock with 50+ yards to go for the score.... i couldn't believe my eyes, i was going to drive to seattle and punch bevell right in the face if he blew that drive..

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Actually I was totally concerned about leaving too much time for Brady. If you leave him with very little time (like we did) deep in his end (like we did) they can't run the ball, we put out a big nickel and keep everything in front of us, and it's easy. If we score too quick, and leave him too much time, it's a lot harder for the defense. So we have to play to score, but also run the clock a bit... if we get low on time we can always spike the ball or throw an incomplete if everyone is covered...

jewhawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3teutfhp said:
This is a good way to put it. I made a similar post during the Rams game when we got the ball back deep in our own territory, called a run play (seemingly to run out the clock), but then let 20 seconds run and called a pass play. It burned us in that game because the Rams were able to get the ball back and score another field goal before the half. I don't know if it's Pete or Bevell making the clock management decisions at the ends of halves, but it needs to be fixed.

On a similar note, they won't take any heat for it because we won, but the decision to punt on 4th and 3 with under 3 minutes left was awful. 4th and 3 is not a tough conversion, and the Patriots' offense only had five 3-and-outs all season - none this game prior to that drive. We got bailed out by Belichick making the awful decision to run twice before trying to pass. If they ran their normal offense, I doubt our offense would have seen the field again.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
1st half - don't understand what they did. As stated I am PERFECTLY FINE with them deciding to run out the clock. Just slightly over a minute left when we got the ball if I recall. But then committ to it (I don't like it but coaching staff is in charge). I just can't stand the change with no positive outcome that can come out of it.

2nd half - I guess I gave them a pass on that play just becuase they drew up the game-winning play. I think the thinking was if we make it we don't want to much time on the clock and if we don't make it we have 1.33 on the clock and 2 / 3 time-outs (can't remember) left so we are not actually yet in a super hurry.

With that said it took from 1.59 on the clock to 1.33 on the clock between the first play and the gw-play if I recall correctly.

That is pretty bad in a 2 minute drill.........

blitz1856

Reaction score
jewhawk":1qjqdnly said:
On a similar note, they won't take any heat for it because we won, but the decision to punt on 4th and 3 with under 3 minutes left was awful. 4th and 3 is not a tough conversion, and the Patriots' offense only had five 3-and-outs all season - none this game prior to that drive. We got bailed out by Belichick making the awful decision to run twice before trying to pass. If they ran their normal offense, I doubt our offense would have seen the field again.

I had the same reaction during the game. I turned to my friend and said, they have to go for it on 4th and 3 as we won't get the ball back and that is a reasonable down-and-distance to chance it. Then was very surprised to see the punting unit come out. Although to be fair, after we stuffed them and returned the punt to the 50, I had to admit over the deafening roar that it was a good call in retrospect, since we gained about 30 yards, a fresh set of downs, and little time off the clock (at the cost of 2 TOs). After a lot of tough breaks all game, it was good THAT one worked out for us.