Clock on the Patriots last drive

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Hi guys, I lurk here all the time but have only posted once. There's nothing I could add that someone here hasn't covered already. One thing has been bugging me about the Pats' last drive yesterday, and I apologize if this has been covered and I missed it.
On the sack, the Pats got called for illegal motion and the Hawks declined the penalty. Once the ball was reset, shouldn't the clock have started since it was a declined penalty? I am fairly sure the Pats were out of timeouts at that point and the clock they have on the TV stayed at 52 seconds. I was losing my mind yelling at the tv. Am I wrong on that rule or shouldn't the clock have been running?

I tried asking Pereira on twiiter but apparrenly he was only watching our game long enough to complain that they got the interference wrong on the Edwards TD and that it should have been offensive interference :roll:

getnasty

Reaction score
Yeah something went wrong there, i was thinking the same thing. I think they should have either started the clock after it was spotted or had a 10 sec run off, or maybe both.

OP
OP
H

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Ok so it wasn't just me. I instantly started having flashbacks to Baltimore 03.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":3fmelr7v said:
Ok so it wasn't just me. I instantly started having flashbacks to Baltimore 03.

I still don't know whether Tom White was being a legit bumbling old man or a pretend bumbling old man like Don Altobello in Godfather III...

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
No, of course not...it's the regular refs and they never make mistakes, especially in a Seahawks game.

Ok, that was complete BS I just wrote.

The Radish

Reaction score
getnasty":6v2ayp72 said:
Yeah something went wrong there, i was thinking the same thing. I think they should have either started the clock after it was spotted or had a 10 sec run off, or maybe both.

The official behind motioned for the clock to start running but they didn't do it.

:les:

Alcoholhawk

Reaction score
I may have missed something in the game, but I'm curious why the clock wasn't started after his sack. There was a flag on the play that was on the Patriots and Seattle declined it. The Pats had no timeouts and the sack on Brady stood, but the clock was not started. This had no impact on the outcome of the game, but I was curious if there's a rule I'm unaware of here. Shouldn't there have been at minimum a 10 second run off, or the clock start running?

SharkHawk

Reaction score
There was also some BS on the clock at the end of the first half. They added 3 seconds at Belicheck's demand that should NOT have been added (at least according to my DVR watching of the play several times). That left a second on the clock that would have allowed the Patsies to kick a field goal if it weren't for the correct grounding call (thank goodness for that). I was surprised the announcers didn't catch it.... all they caught was Fouts saying "there should be 2 seconds on the clock!" I found it quite interesting that a former QB didn't even know the grounding rule. My wife is screaming "grounding grounding and the clock should be gone!" and I'm yelling "GROUNDING GROUNDING TEN SECOND RUN OFF!". Fouts is stroking his luscious beard and calling the field goal already. Goober.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Yep, everyone in my section was yelling for this as well. The refs were terrible as always. Fortunately it didn't bite us in the ass.

The Radish

Reaction score
SharkHawk":1nac0a2o said:
There was also some BS on the clock at the end of the first half. They added 3 seconds at Belicheck's demand that should NOT have been added (at least according to my DVR watching of the play several times). That left a second on the clock that would have allowed the Patsies to kick a field goal if it weren't for the correct grounding call (thank goodness for that). I was surprised the announcers didn't catch it.... all they caught was Fouts saying "there should be 2 seconds on the clock!" I found it quite interesting that a former QB didn't even know the grounding rule. My wife is screaming "grounding grounding and the clock should be gone!" and I'm yelling "GROUNDING GROUNDING TEN SECOND RUN OFF!". Fouts is stroking his luscious beard and calling the field goal already. Goober.

Hey Jon, one thing wrong with your analogy. Fouts is now clean shaven. hahahahaha

BlueTalon

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":2krcu3hk said:
I tried asking Pereira on twiiter but apparrenly he was only watching our game long enough to complain that they got the interference wrong on the Edwards TD and that it should have been offensive interference :roll:
Damn replacement refs! Always screwing things up.

The Radish

Reaction score
I saw that replay about 20 times while having coffee at a sports bar this morning and damned if I can see offensive pushing off there.

I can see the guy trying to push Brayton out of bounds tho.

:les:

SharkHawk

Reaction score
The Radish":dv3twrs4 said:
SharkHawk":dv3twrs4 said:

Hey Jon, one thing wrong with your analogy. Fouts is now clean shaven. hahahahaha

Seriously? I swear he was sporting his Merlin Olsen halloween costume yesterday. I think the beard is back. ;)

mikeak

Reaction score
1st half - as I heard it on my TV they debated the 1 sec until they saw the flag then they were all good with the run-off. They also pointed out what a great job by the officials to call intentional grounding on that play. You see it ALL the time at that place of the field pass being thrown to the ground or the 800 section and it was a great call by the officials

On the sack - yeah clock should start when flag is waived if the result of the prior play is a live play as it was in this case

rigelian

Reaction score
SharkHawk":kwnlk3iz said:
There was also some BS on the clock at the end of the first half. They added 3 seconds at Belicheck's demand that should NOT have been added (at least according to my DVR watching of the play several times).
It's a good thing that Belicheck got those three seconds. If he hadn't the Patriots would have simply tried to kick a field goal rather than make another attempt at the end zone. Sometimes cheating simply bites you on the butt.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
I was pissed about this too. I quickly forgot about it when Welker got stuffed on 4th down though.

The clock absolutely should have been running.

Starrman44

Reaction score
Apparently if you are Braylon Edwards and the Seahawks you don't have a right to come back to the ball and catch a touchdown pass.

I am just thankful that we didn't draw Mike Martz as a commentator. He makes me insane. I literally hate listening to him more than anything else in the world. He had me incensed in the Rams game within about a minute of the broadcast.