Sherman should tone it down a little

Happy

Reaction score
Not my cup of tea, prefer that it's kept on the field. But that's his personality so as long as he's not violating team/league rules or anything he's free to say what he wants.

sainthawk29

Reaction score
Disagree. This defense has a swagger that I have only seen once in my lifetime. And that was the early 2000 ravens. That team was mean, cocky, and could back it up. I truly believe that they can too.

This type of chatter IMO only helps this team. 1. It ties this defense together. 2. The Fans love it, and the more love the louder the crowd, and 3. Teams like this breed opponents mistakes. This might be a overly simplified example but its like dealing with that one cocky annoying guy at work, or in sports, you begin to care more about hoping and trying to get him to mess up and you push too hard or forget about what you are supposed to do.

Psychologically its a win any way you look at it.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
-The Glove-":27e676mg said:
I love it. Brady showed them no respect. He responded. It's not like he spazzes out after every game.

Exactly. Someone took a swing at him and he stood up for himself and his team. Its not like he goes out starting stuff

CANHawk

Reaction score
THIS:
EastCoastHawksFan":9tjk1gvk said:
to be honest Sherman is standing up for all Seahawk fans and players and the organization as a whole.

our team is a family and i wouldnt be surprised if pete brings up shermans trash talking at the team meeting today. they will laugh and look forward to thursday
and THIS:
GoldenTater81":9tjk1gvk said:
I do not want him to tone it down.. I want teams to hate us.. I want to be an island here on the west coast that is talked about because teams hate to play us..

I am tired of the warm, cuddly Seahawks we have had the last 10 years.. I love a guy who is willing to talk and then back it up by shutting down his side of the field..

I am mostly tired of people finding out i am a seahawks fan and laughing because of the mediocrity we have been going through.. I want them to be pissed off and remember a time when a Seahawk punched them in the mouth and walk away irritated.

Sherm's smack talk is bigger than just getting in Brady's face. It's getting in EVERYONE'S face. Hawks have not been respected by anyone this year, even when we had the #1 defense and the #1 rusher, we were still underdogs in our own house, we were still labeled "pretenders" by the national media talking heads. And even little talking heads who said good things about us we shit on by the BIG talking heads for being delusional. Then Brady comes out with all this "turn the 12th man against the Seahawks" and "come talk to me after we beat you" crap talk. More disrespect. Sherm's tired of being disrespected, as is the rest of the team and the 12th man. Sherm's tude and swagger is helping transform this team from a doormat "nice guy" Tim Ruskell team into a punch you in the face, take your lunch, eat it in front of you and feed you the garbage group of bad asses.

I love that! Thanks for the Swagger Sherm. don't ever change!

brettb3

Reaction score
Couldn't disagree more. This is emblematic of the "nice" and "polite" Pacific Northwest culture. I guarantee you wouldn't see this kind of post on an Eagles' or Steelers' fan board. I love the fact that we finally have a team full of bad asses with a healthy dose of swagger. This is who Richard Sherman is, and it's part of what makes him great. I hope he never shuts up.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
How can you not love it? He is a cornerback - that is the name of the game. Russell Wilson can give the classy responses but not our shut-down corner.

We have had so many choir boys here and all I have ever wanted was a team that wasn't afraid to face anyone.

We aren't.

Hawkaholic

Reaction score
What did he do that was so bad? Do we know what he is actually saying in that photo he posted? Was it his rant after the game saying we don't get enough respect? Or him saying Brady should have had 5 picks? Both of those are true statements.

I love it. Sherman has backed up every bit of trash talk he has done so far in his career.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I couldn't disagree more with the OP. This kid needs to do what he's doing because it works. If teams want to work it on him all game then it just means more INT's for us. If it means they throw away from him, then good... we have another great corner and two great safeties. Did talking big hurt Deion Sanders career? I bet he makes a better living now financially than he did as a player. As a mid-rounder Richard isn't making big-time NFL money. His next contract will likely be the one that sets him up for life. How do corners get noticed? They talk... and talk....and talk.... and produce! He does these things well. Why fix it if it isn't broken?

If it starts leading to fines, then I guess you ask him to zip it, but he's not Deion Branch, who has always been a talker and has produced in about 3 games in his career (1 with Seattle, and it was against New England, and one a Super Bowl).

Steve Smith has trash talked his way possibly into the hall of fame by getting into guy's heads. He is small and I bet many of you don't know that Steve broke his neck and had to wear a halo his junior year of college and it hurt his draft status (I saw the screws in his skull up close and personal on the sideline when BYU played Utah... I also saw him break his neck from 10 feet away and it was absolutely disgusting and heartbreaking for an extremely talented kid). Steve talked and talked and talked and produced. He has gotten into the head of EVERY DB in the league at some point and it has served him well. Without that big mouth he wouldn't have had the career he's had I feel. It has made him more productive by giving him a slight edge. You saw two masters of it when Steve and Sherm went up against each other last week.

The thing is to not become a T.O. (ME FIRST) or to become a problem off the field. Steve Smith was never a problem off the field and is a good teammate by most accounts. Sherm is all about the 3 guys next to him back there. He's about proving he belongs. He went to Stanford for hell's sake, so he obviously is an intelligent guy. He's not some knucklehead jawjacking for fun. I believe he's very measured at times in what he does, and others he's just making a name for himself. If it sets him up for life, gets him endorsements, and brings Seattle our new Gary Payton (another prime example of a guy who was a complete pain to EVERYBODY, but by all accounts is a great guy) then all the better.

In fact my uncle met Gary at an Eagle Hardware store his rookie year and talked to him for a half hour about hoops, life, the Sonics, etc. and said he had never met a more kind, respectful, intelligent, congenial, or more thoughtful athlete (and he had met many as he was a dentist that did work on many of the Sonics players, since his office was right by Bill Russell's place). Gary impressed him more than all of the athletes he'd ever met or done emergency dental surgery and follow-ups on over 20+ years, and this was when Gary was still young and known as the biggest mouth in the west. It served him well professionally on the court, professionally off the court, and personally as it built him into a superstar and THE icon of Seattle. Anybody who saw that full building side pic of the Glove down by the Nike Store in the day remembers I hope that Gary WAS Seattle and who knows.... Sherm could be our Revis... and already is looking to be. He's even outplaying Nnamdi for about 1/20 the money. :) GO SHERM!

themunn

Reaction score
The best thing about it all is other QBs are gonna see this trashtalk and think "Imma make a fool out of that guy, i hate trashtalking DBs"

and by god they'll regret it
they always do

bellingerga

Reaction score
yeah I have to disagree with OP too here. Brady told Sherm to come see him after the game when they (the patriots) have won. That is in my opinion well deserving of some post game smack talk especially after the conclusion we witnessed.

I love it. Sherm has got giant brass cohones and we NEEDED players like this after all those years of soft "character" guys. I LOVE IT.

ShaunPope

Reaction score
Screw that nonsense of him toning it down. Brady was being a douche, as usual, Sherman made him pay for it and shoved it right back in his face. I don't want Sherman to tone it down one bit and loved how he acted towards Brady the Lady. Keep it up Richard, and don't listen to these fans who think you should tone it down.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2kha6iij said:
Well, the whole thing was pretty strategically placed if you ask me. Sherman baited Brady - an outstanding HOF quarterback - into throwing at him, and picked one off. What happens when he baits Alex Smith to beat him with the passing game?

:3:

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Sherman is exactly what you need - badassitute - to be a power puncher. I loved this quote after the game: "We're built for a heavyweight fight," cornerback Richard Sherman said. "I don't think they're built for a heavyweight fight."

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Just don't let it become a distraction and stay focused on the next opponent.

kidhawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":12igsogy said:
Just don't let it become a distraction and stay focused on the next opponent.

That is one of the things I love about this whole Sherman thing....In his locker room "rant" he said that they can enjoy the win now (last night) but have to get ready for a very good 49er team on Thursday. He sounds like he's VERY ready to start prepping for the next game

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SharkHawk":2lj836fq said:
I couldn't disagree more with the OP. This kid needs to do what he's doing because it works. If teams want to work it on him all game then it just means more INT's for us. If it means they throw away from him, then good... we have another great corner and two great safeties. Did talking big hurt Deion Sanders career? I bet he makes a better living now financially than he did as a player. As a mid-rounder Richard isn't making big-time NFL money. His next contract will likely be the one that sets him up for life. How do corners get noticed? They talk... and talk....and talk.... and produce! He does these things well. Why fix it if it isn't broken?

If it starts leading to fines, then I guess you ask him to zip it, but he's not Deion Branch, who has always been a talker and has produced in about 3 games in his career (1 with Seattle, and it was against New England, and one a Super Bowl).

Steve Smith has trash talked his way possibly into the hall of fame by getting into guy's heads. He is small and I bet many of you don't know that Steve broke his neck and had to wear a halo his junior year of college and it hurt his draft status (I saw the screws in his skull up close and personal on the sideline when BYU played Utah... I also saw him break his neck from 10 feet away and it was absolutely disgusting and heartbreaking for an extremely talented kid). Steve talked and talked and talked and produced. He has gotten into the head of EVERY DB in the league at some point and it has served him well. Without that big mouth he wouldn't have had the career he's had I feel. It has made him more productive by giving him a slight edge. You saw two masters of it when Steve and Sherm went up against each other last week.

The thing is to not become a T.O. (ME FIRST) or to become a problem off the field. Steve Smith was never a problem off the field and is a good teammate by most accounts. Sherm is all about the 3 guys next to him back there. He's about proving he belongs. He went to Stanford for hell's sake, so he obviously is an intelligent guy. He's not some knucklehead jawjacking for fun. I believe he's very measured at times in what he does, and others he's just making a name for himself. If it sets him up for life, gets him endorsements, and brings Seattle our new Gary Payton (another prime example of a guy who was a complete pain to EVERYBODY, but by all accounts is a great guy) then all the better.

In fact my uncle met Gary at an Eagle Hardware store his rookie year and talked to him for a half hour about hoops, life, the Sonics, etc. and said he had never met a more kind, respectful, intelligent, congenial, or more thoughtful athlete (and he had met many as he was a dentist that did work on many of the Sonics players, since his office was right by Bill Russell's place). Gary impressed him more than all of the athletes he'd ever met or done emergency dental surgery and follow-ups on over 20+ years, and this was when Gary was still young and known as the biggest mouth in the west. It served him well professionally on the court, professionally off the court, and personally as it built him into a superstar and THE icon of Seattle. Anybody who saw that full building side pic of the Glove down by the Nike Store in the day remembers I hope that Gary WAS Seattle and who knows.... Sherm could be our Revis... and already is looking to be. He's even outplaying Nnamdi for about 1/20 the money. :) GO SHERM!
Damn Shark, not to be on your nuts, but you're on a roll today. First the post to the Pats fan and now this? Good stuff, man. And extra kudos for bringing up Gary. He was and still is one of the most popular athletes (not talking about in the media-with other athletes and entertainers, he's a popular man.)