Darrell Bevell: Job security?

ShaunPope

Reaction score
Despite the great game Wilson played yesterday, is Bevell's job at risk for next season or does Carroll really like him as OC? I'm still not comfortable having the offense in Bevell's hands. If Bevell is gone, who are possible replacements?

kidhawk

Reaction score
ShaunPope":3tw78f53 said:
Despite the great game Wilson played yesterday, is Bevell's job at risk for next season or does Carroll really like him as OC? I'm still not comfortable having the offense in Bevell's hands. If Bevell is gone, who are possible replacements?

Really? Our QB has a breakout game...we call multiple big plays this week....threw for almost 300 yards....and all this after weeks of Pete saying he had limited the playbook, not Bevell, and yet people are still concerned about whether Bevell will be here next season?

Let's enjoy the victory and let's see if Bevell will continue giving Wilson big play opportunities as we move on.

Maybe it's just me, but I refuse to look at anything negative after a game like we had yesterday. As a fan, I live to enjoy these moments. It's a short week and we may not have this enjoyment for long. Playing the Niners is going to be tough.

OP
OP
S

ShaunPope

Reaction score
lighten up man. there's nothing wrong with both enjoying the victory and asking legitimate questions about concerns.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
My guess is unless Bevell gets a shot at a head coaching job he'll be here for the duration. PC heaped some praise on him yesterday after the game.

OP
OP
S

ShaunPope

Reaction score
Before coming to Seattle, how highly regarded was Bevell around the NFL as far as OC's go?

legend38

Reaction score
Still not understanding the long ball on 3rd n shorts on a regular basis?Annoying as hell.

kidhawk

Reaction score
ShaunPope":1cyytrxs said:
lighten up man. there's nothing wrong with both enjoying the victory and asking legitimate questions about concerns.

You assume the question is legitimate. With Carroll saying from the start of the season, that he was personally limiting the playbook, how can you or anyone else, really blame bevell for it? Could he have been a scapegoat if we were 2-4 instead of 4-2? Maybe, but that's not how things have gone down. So far this year there is no reason to question Bevell. We can question Carroll's choice to go with a rookie qb who wasn't ready to use the entire playbook (although I wouldn't), but to put this on Bevell is just not legitimate.

OP
OP
S

ShaunPope

Reaction score
LymonHawk":1nfpfdgo said:
Why does that matter? How highly regarded was Browner?

uh, relax dude. i was just curious how many other teams were going after him besides us? has nothing to do with browner. i wasn't being flippant. wow.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I thought the playcalling on offense was actually pretty good yesterday. They were selling out to shutdown the run and we were able to take advantage of that. Bevel's playcalling has been questionable in the past, and may well be questionable in the future, but after yesterday's game I think dude earned a week off from the angry mob trying to run him out of town.

Seriously, what is it with people on this board always trying to lynch somebody? SMH...

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
The game was called beautifully yesterday. Almost masterful. that 4th and 3 play caught everyone of guard. Yeesh!

kidhawk

Reaction score
I will admit, I wondered out loud what they were thinking before that last touchdown pass to rice...they huddled up while the clock was running and they were at midfield and needed a TD, not a field goal to take the lead....as the huddle broke, I said to my brother who was sitting next to me, They are wasting too much time....and in mid thought, I had an epiphany...I finished saying unless they are going to go for the endzone on this play, wasting that time in the huddle will be a mistake. A few seconds later, Rice is behind the safety and the ball is in the air and I was just going nuts as he caught it in stride for a TD

ivotuk

Reaction score
bevell is, and has done fine. i know ive griped about him several times but he comes up with some neat stuff. Especially loved the triple TEs to one side.

Keep the guy around, he's a good OC that comes from a great coaching tree, Andy Reid > Brad Childress > Darrell Bevell.

That and he's a former Wisconsin QB himself! :D

CANHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":1a1ir3f0 said:
I will admit, I wondered out loud what they were thinking before that last touchdown pass to rice...they huddled up while the clock was running and they were at midfield and needed a TD, not a field goal to take the lead....as the huddle broke, I said to my brother who was sitting next to me, They are wasting too much time....and in mid thought, I had an epiphany...I finished saying unless they are going to go for the endzone on this play, wasting that time in the huddle will be a mistake. A few seconds later, Rice is behind the safety and the ball is in the air and I was just going nuts as he caught it in stride for a TD

And it's funny; after that long TD pass, I started thinking they should have burned MORE time in the huddle!

kidhawk

Reaction score
CANHawk":1oa639io said:
kidhawk":1oa639io said:

And it's funny; after that long TD pass, I started thinking they should have burned MORE time in the huddle!

Me too, but our defense was definitely pumped for that challenge

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kidhawk":1e3tib69 said:
CANHawk":1e3tib69 said:
kidhawk":1e3tib69 said:

Me too, but our defense was definitely pumped for that challenge

Tom Brady is always vaunted as this great competitor, as are the Patriots, but at the end of the game yesterday, you could tell they didn't really want the FG that bad. Their final series was awful(ly awesome).

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
ShaunPope":1tj508as said:

let's bring Chucky in. . . .

CANHawk

Reaction score
OneLofaTatupu":2h1clv0c said:
ShaunPope":2h1clv0c said:

let's bring Chucky in. . . .

oh shut up with the Gruden talk.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ShaunPope":1t20q2d9 said:

This is a really odd thread right after a big win in which the offense finally broke out and scored more than a measly 12-15 points.

I do agree that Bevell might not be the greatest O-coordinator in the league. But also remember that we have a rookie QB, so Bevell's hands are tied somewhat with play calling. He also has to deal with Pete's conservative game plans, injured WR's that are just now hitting their stride, and an O-Line that's had a hard time pass blocking.

So it's not all on Bevell.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
ShaunPope":1waj44hg said:

I don't think it was a legitimate question.