58 passing attempts, and 0 holding flags?

GoHawks1212

Reaction score
I might be wrong, but I don't remember seeing ANY flags against NE's o-line for holding. I'm no ref, but there were numerous occasions where I saw what looked like clear holding calls. 58 drop backs with out a hold is quite frankly unheard of, NO offensive line is THAT good. Do I have my goggles on? Or were some calls missed?

I know they used quick drops and scheme to avoid pressure on Tom Brady, but even so, seems very....odd. I started thinking about this when the ref's were being blamed by the Pat's fans for the loss tonight (because they obviously can't be beat on a level playing field, home field advantage or not).

12th_Bob

Reaction score
The passes came out quick for the most part, he had to throw earlier as the game went on. A lot of passes ended up in front of the WR or at his feet. Veteran QB, with great timing is an O-lines best friend.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1zuafrm1 said:
Wait, what calls did we get in the game? Refs and penalties were almost invisible the entire game, just as it should be. No blatant blown calls or non-calls that I saw.

When watching, I thought they were very strictly calling the unnecessary roughness calls on the quarterback. Not that they didn't happen, but both seemed more incidental than anything else, but they called it the same both ways. Those are really the only calls I'd say were questionable....Not wrong by the book, but could have been not called at all without a real problem. Overall, I did think it was a fairly good job of officiating. Personally, I don't care if officials call something or don't call something, as long as they are consistent throughout the game on both sides, and I think they were. I didn't see any more blatant holding from the Pats offensive line than I saw from our Oline. Good no calls IMO. Let 'em play. Makes for a MUCH more enjoyable game to watch.

Edit to add...now that I think about it, some of the Pats fans might be whining about all the Intentional Grounding calls, but they were good calls. He was definitely throwing the ball away instead of taking sacks and sometimes it bit him.

OP
OP
GoHawks1212

GoHawks1212

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3smgpkmo said:
Wait, what calls did we get in the game? Refs and penalties were almost invisible the entire game, just as it should be. No blatant blown calls or non-calls that I saw.

I honestly completely agree that the refs should be invisible, or a non-issue if you will. That being said, our d-line was creating pressure all game, forced 2 CRUCIAL I.G. penalties, yet no holds called. Again, it just seemed wrong. Even 1 holding call to keep the Patriots line obvious would have been enough.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
Im more impressed with 58 passes and NO DEFENSIVE penalties (p.i , holding , illegal contact ,etc..)

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I agree Kidhawk, the roughing calls against the Seahawks and Pat's were really questionable IMO. Those were the only "bad" calls I remember, maybe the pass from Rice to Tate for DPI but it was close, could of been a non-call but the Miller turn over nullified that anyway.

Pats started double teaming Clemons after the first snap when he got close to sacking Brady. I think the front 4 D-line pressure took Gronk out of the game more than anything IMO and kept us from getting the sacks.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
The Intentional grounding were good calls, just not use to seeing them so often is all here lol.. great game both teams played hard hopefully next time we meet its in New Orleans in a dome :)

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
12th_Bob":3rxo8x9p said:
I agree Kidhawk, the roughing calls against the Seahawks and Pat's were really questionable IMO. Those were the only "bad" calls I remember, maybe the pass from Rice to Tate for DPI but it was close, could of been a non-call but the Miller turn over nullified that anyway.

Pats started double teaming Clemons after the first snap when he got close to sacking Brady. I think the front 4 D-line pressure took Gronk out of the game more than anything IMO and kept us from getting the sacks.

The defensive pass interference was legit. It was called by the line judge and the back judge. The defender never turned for the ball and ran shielded Tate from making the catch.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I have absolutely ZERO complaints about the officiating in that game. I thought it was great. Let the boys play. They called roughing the passer on both teams, they let both teams O-lines get away with a little pedestirian holding, and I didn't really see any sign of the "Brady Rules" that are usually in effect when the Pats play a physical team.

That is how I'd like to see ALL games called.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
CANHawk":2jttno2q said:
I have absolutely ZERO complaints about the officiating in that game. I thought it was great. Let the boys play. They called roughing the passer on both teams, they let both teams O-lines get away with a little pedestirian holding, and I didn't really see any sign of the "Brady Rules" that are usually in effect when the Pats play a physical team.

That is how I'd like to see ALL games called.

Totally agree. This was the first game I have watched this year (any teams, not just Seahawks games) that I didn't yell out "Are you kidding me!?" over a bad call.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
From the stands the roughing penalty called on the Hawks for hitting Brady looked bogus, but if I see it on DVR I might change my view.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2km1kh6f said:
From the stands the roughing penalty called on the Hawks for hitting Brady looked bogus, but if I see it on DVR I might change my view.

That was borderline, and I think it was a bad call, but it was close enough that I didn't get upset over it. We know the Refs favor Brady and protect him like their infant child, so some of that has to be expected when he gets a borderline call.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
I did not see the Brady hit, but on the radio they said he hit helmet to helmet? if true thats always a roughing the passer call.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2yw4pqxh said:

No it was legit, but it wasn't on Clem. Jones came in a half beat too late and put his forhead into Brady's chin. They're going to call that every time, especially when you do it to Tom Brady.

chawx

Reaction score
There was a holding call on Breno that took away a nice scramble by Wilson, I think it was in the 2nd or 3rd quarter, that looked a little questionable to me—not necessarily because it wasn't a hold, but because they weren't calling that same kind of "hold and turn the guy just a little before falling on him" on the Pats...also, there were a few times I specifically remember shouting out HOLDING! during the game against Clemons that didn't get called...

BUT—since we ended up with more points, I'm not going to critique the refs as much...

SharkHawk

Reaction score
That Breno call was questionable because he didn't reach out or anything. He kept his arms in and the guy tried a twist and got locked up a bit. The reason it was called is because Wilson made a gain and there was a possibility the guy could have tackled him. Had it just been a normal play I think they would have held the flag. It wasn't like Locklear in XL where it was just a flat out blown call. It was just one where you don't see a flag unless it directly impacts the play and I think the ref thought Russell wouldn't have gotten those yards without the hook by Breno.

Latest posts