HELP! Sounder service vs. Central Link.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Thanks to an awesome fellow .netter (ditch), I was able to score some tickets for tomorrows game! Me and my family are visiting from Utah and are in the Doubletree in Tukwila (Southcenter). I am planning on taking public transportation to the game (even though we have a rental car). I see two options. One is Central Link, the other is Sounder Service. What is the difference and which one should we take? From the look of it, Sounder only has only two pick up times, where Central is every 10 minutes or service.

Any advice from people in the area would be very helpful. Also, what is a good time to leave/get there? We want to get there with plenty of time for kick off and walk around a bit and see the festivities, but not too early because we have relatives coming to babysit the kids for the game and don't want to be gone too long.

If this is the wrong forum, please feel free to move.....just looking for some good advice with short notice

Thanks in advance!

GeekHawk

Reaction score
The Doubletree is walking distance from the Sounder station, which is a plus. I tried to take the Link light rail to a preseason game and got to the light rail station too late to find a parking spot anywhere - I ended up driving into Seattle and paying like $40 to park up close. OTOH, the Sounder is a drag because they only get you there JUST in time for the game, and you have to get back to the station in time to not miss the last train south. This can be a problem if the game is exciting until the end and everybody leaves at once - this happened to me at the San Diego game a couple years ago, and the last train was so crowded that a guy had to sit in the bathroom in his wheelchair, and stay in there when people used it because there was no room for him to vacate the loo. He hated it. All in all, I'd say the best advice would be to get to the light rail station at least a couple hours early and maybe before 9, and hang in Seattle until the game starts. I got to the light rail at 11 and it was too late. The light rail station is right across the street from the Sounder station (get off at the International District station, up the stairs to street level, across 4th, and down the stairs to the stadium north lot). You're right - the light rail runs regular service every few minutes all day, where the Sounder is a special run especially for the game and is more intended for those coming from Tacoma.

SilkMonkey

Reaction score
I recommend light rail but be there by 9.

If you're there around 8:30 you'll probably run into myself and buddy commuting in.

RockHawk

Reaction score
Sounder trains do not run on Sundays, so that's not a feasible option. Plan to drive your rental to one of the link light rail stations in Tukwila or south seattle and take that to the stadium.

MrCarey

Reaction score
RockHawk, I take the Sounder to every single Seahawks game and have done so for 2 years now.

Here is the schedule:

http://www.soundtransit.org/Schedules/E ... ahawks.xml

The only games they don't run for are Thursday and Monday night games.

On Sundays, they have 3 pickups after the game. I believe it's immediately after the finish, 10 minutes after and 30 minutes after. They have 2 pickup times, and they are listed on the site accordingly.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Yeah, the light rail is a much better option if you are in tukwila.
It runs like every 15 minutes.
Go to the light rail parking garage by the airport but go early because it fills up fast.

RockHawk

Reaction score
MrCarey":9ilbzujy said:
RockHawk, I take the Sounder to every single Seahawks game and have done so for 2 years now.

Here is the schedule:

On Sundays, they have 3 pickups after the game. I believe it's immediately after the finish, 10 minutes after and 30 minutes after. They have 2 pickup times, and they are listed on the site accordingly.

Ah, you are absolutely right. I was thinking Saturday games. Duh. Thanks for the correction.

sutz

Reaction score
For years, I went to the park-n-ride on Interurban avenue in Tukwila and took the regular bus into downtown. The 180 (IIRC) goes right by the stadium on 4th Avenue. It was less than $2 at the time. I can't imagine it's much more now, maybe $2-2.25. It's a lot cheaper than the Sounder or light rail.

MrCarey

Reaction score
RockHawk":3mgx9mr1 said:
MrCarey":3mgx9mr1 said:

Here is the schedule:

Ah, you are absolutely right. I was thinking Saturday games. Duh. Thanks for the correction.

Yep! Just didn't want people to disqualify the Sounder as a means of transportation. It's the best; especially if we win.

Latest posts