Is Trufant actually..... good?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Is Trufant actually..... good?
Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:52 pm
  • I'm just gonna quote a stat that I just saw that I thought was freaking unbelievable, because our amazing CB's on the outside, mean that the ball has to be thrown SOMEWHERE, and I thought Trufant was getting picked on.

Trufant allows a reception once every 16.8 snaps. Wow, not bad, not bad at all.

EDIT: Here is the article I posted that stat from:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ks-week-6/

And here's something I missed through the first read that I thought was interesting....

That leaves the veteran CB manning the slot, where he’s done an excellent job this season. Trufant has allowed a reception only once every 16.8 snaps from that position, the second-best mark in the NFL.

There ya go, Trufant haters. 2nd best in the whole NFL. How's that taste?
    Last edited by hawksfan515 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

Re: Is Trufant actually..... good?
Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:56 pm
  • Yeah, he's not as good as he once was, but he can still play. Being in the slot means he doesn't go up against the elite WRs as often, so he can control the 3rd and 4th string guys, apparently. I always thought keeping him around as a 3rd/4th CB was a good idea. I think he provides a lot of what Lawyer Milloy did while he was here, veteran leadership.

:)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:58 pm
  • I'm with this as well. Trufant can still cover and is playing pretty well.

I dont know if Thurmond could've beat him out this camp if he could've (now that Tru's salary is reasonable).
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:01 pm
  • The nickel corner sees the field what, 25-30 percent of the time? Kinda takes the shine off that stat a bit. I don't see the greatness some of you do.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:03 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:The nickel corner sees the field what, 25-30 percent of the time? Kinda takes the shine off that stat a bit. I don't see the greatness some of you do.

I didn't say "greatness." :roll:

He's a decent nickle corner these days, and a stable veteran presence for our young guys. Nobody is saying he should be a 'starter' or front line DB.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:03 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:The nickel corner sees the field what, 25-30 percent of the time? Kinda takes the shine off that stat a bit. I don't see the greatness some of you do.

Well let's say (I know this isn't true, but stay with me here) that we only go to nickel on 3rd down. And every reception Trufant allows is a first down (also not true I know). That means he allows a 3rd down to be converted only about once every 17 tries.

And when he sees the field, he seems to be doing his job, so I'm good. Just like Bruce Irvin and Jason Jones.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:05 pm
  • How many PDs does he have? How many receptions has he allowed versus targets? those are relevant too.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:05 pm
  • hawksfan515 wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:The nickel corner sees the field what, 25-30 percent of the time? Kinda takes the shine off that stat a bit. I don't see the greatness some of you do.

Well let's say (I know this isn't true, but stay with me here) that we only go to nickel on 3rd down. And every reception Trufant allows is a first down (also not true I know). That means he allows a 3rd down to be converted only about once every 17 tries.

And when he sees the field, he seems to be doing his job, so I'm good. Just like Bruce Irvin and Jason Jones.

It depends.. Is that stat for every 17 defensive snaps? Or 17 snaps when Trufant is on the field?

But, Trufant is fine. Stats or not. All these advanced stats drive me crazy. What happened to just watching football and seeing who's good at their jobs or not? Now get off my lawn ya wippersnapper! :les:
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:09 pm
  • I don't think it will be that long before Gorrer takes his spot(hope I spelled Gorrer's name right).
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:14 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:I don't think it will be that long before Gorrer takes his spot(hope I spelled Gorrer's name right).

What are you seeing that leads you to that? Unless Gorrer is more physical than Tru?
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:19 pm
  • pehawk wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:I don't think it will be that long before Gorrer takes his spot(hope I spelled Gorrer's name right).

What are you seeing that leads you to that? Unless Gorrer is more physical than Tru?

Tru does't look to quick or agile to me. Is it the back? Anyway, I have little to go on with Gorrer, but he is damn fast. Quick I don't know, but fast for sure. Mostly I am just banking on Earl Thomas being right about him. They played together on some level back in the day, and Thomas sicced Schneider on him. So far, Schneider has had the midas touch with the secondary.
    So yeah, blind faith on my part.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:28 pm
  • Gorrer over Lane? Someone JS and Pete drafted? That's the preference, Lane, and he couldn't beat Trufant out. I think he's playing well, but I could be biased based on the play around him. We'll find out Sunday, regardless, I think.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:33 pm
  • pehawk wrote:Gorrer over Lane? Someone JS and Pete drafted? That's the preference, Lane, and he couldn't beat Trufant out. I think he's playing well, but I could be biased based on the play around him. We'll find out Sunday, regardless, I think.

Yeah, but I think Lane is a press corner guy. A DEVELOPMENT press corner guy. Not a nickel slot cover guy.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:39 pm
  • Yall forgetting about Thurmond III? He'll be off pup after this week.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:42 pm
  • *tells Glove to see third post in thread*
    Hey Glove, look at the third post!
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:43 pm
  • I think unless Thurmond wows in the tackling and physical aspect, he may just be IR'd. Total opinion.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:27 pm
  • When I watched Trufant closely last year I thought he was having a great season up until his injury. This year he seems like "average" Trufant again. Him and Leroy Hill are the two most average players on our defense.

Thurmond looked like a star in the making during the Giants game, unfortunately he was hurt the very next week and put on IR. Lets not forget that he was ahead of Sherman on the depth chart at one point. I think he's got a bright future, and who's going to bite the bullet when he gets activated? The young, speedy, intriguing Gorrer or the older, short contract, and relatively expensive Marcus Trufant? My money is on Trufant.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:45 pm
  • You could do a lot worse for a nickel back.

Trufant isn't the corner he used to be obviously, but he's a savvy vet and still does a solid job.

That said, I'm not loving the idea of Welker being in the slot against him. That could get ugly in a hurry.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:51 pm
  • One thing i've notice when Trufant gets out there is his ability to tackle in space. Only one time this year have I seen him whiff on a tackle, and that was against Smith in the Panthers game. I like me some Tru...
    chawx
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:32 am
  • chawx wrote:One thing i've notice when Trufant gets out there is his ability to tackle in space. Only one time this year have I seen him whiff on a tackle, and that was against Smith in the Panthers game. I like me some Tru...

I actually think we lose the Panthers game if it wasn't for the tackle Marcus made on the goal line with Browner getting the shot at the front he got most of the credit, but Trufant made the initial hit on the receivers legs to keep him out of the end zone. It was a lot like Alan Branch's sack in the Rams game where Mebane had Bradford around the ankles and Branch jumped on top of him and got the full sack on the stat sheet.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:48 am
  • The centerfield position isn't always about speed but more about the player being able to be in the right place at the right time.

I agree that Trufant came up being taught by the Holmgren years to play off receivers rather than the hit inside 5 yards type to throw off the timing of the play. He didn't play that way at WAZZU where he was as good a defender as there was in those years.

And expensive? Twice now he has taken a pay cut to stay a Seahawk. Once a couple of years ago and then last year they cut and then resigned him. A tactic that all the teams use to get past salary cap issues and keep players that can help them. I think you'll find in dollars he is among the least paid on the team.

We have a pretty vocal non Trufant group here but I think he has done a good job through the years playing the way they ask him including switching sides for a couple of years and playing on the right where he had never played before and as I mentioned playing off receivers rather than hit them at the line of scrimmage.

And I doubt he plays beyond this season, maybe another year but I'd wager no more. And if his back is acting up again this could very well be his last season to play the game.

Probably the best pure tackler the Seahawks have now or maybe ever. Normally if Tru gets his hands on you he will bring you down. None of this undercut stuff for him. And that's another thing I like about this team, they don't do that much, but reach out and touch someone rather than undercut.

:les:

p.s.

And yes if not for Trufant's tackle at the 2 yard line Browner never gets to make that great hit to save a TD.
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:52 pm
  • Yeah it was an awesome play by Tru to keep Smith out of the end zone and make the Browner play possible. As a fan I love a player like Tru who just brings it every Sunday and is all about the TEAM and being part of what Seattle is building. Nice point about his excellent tackling abilities too. I had noticed he's been able to consistently bring down much bigger players that I wasn't really expecting him to; no Tracy Porter or Kelly Jennings action on that one. (Good thing it was Porter and not Tru trying to tackle Beastmode on the Beastquake) And it's great he's a hometown guy too. I can't count the number of times Tru has brought down a big TE or made the tackle on a running back, remarkable tackling ability for a smaller guy.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:41 pm
  • I think Tru COULD salvage another year or two as nickle safety, because he's very underrated tackling in the open field. Of course, he couldn't play that role here of course, we're DB rich. We can make it rain DB's.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:10 pm
  • Hasselbeck wrote:You could do a lot worse for a nickel back.

Trufant isn't the corner he used to be obviously, but he's a savvy vet and still does a solid job.

That said, I'm not loving the idea of Welker being in the slot against him. That could get ugly in a hurry.

I hope he's not covering Welker all game. I was thinking that Sherman would be shadowing Welker the whole game with Browner on Lloyd. At least I'm hoping that's how it plays out. With Hernandez back, I'm still wondering how many 3 wr sets they will run?
    hawksfanohio
    NET Starter

Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:55 pm
  • Hasselbeck wrote:You could do a lot worse for a nickel back.

Looks like so far this season (stats wise.... I know, but it's better than being on the bottom of the stat line) there's only one slot CB better than Tru.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:30 pm
  • I love having a crafty vet at the nickel slot. Having him on the field without the pressure of covering the #1/#2 guys is great IMO.

He's playing well enough to keep around this year...next year, we'll have to see what shakes out in camp. We're loaded with young, talented secondary guys. Lane, Johnson, Thurmond, Gorrer, etc. And Pete can't help it, he'll grab another 5-6th round DB in the draft as well as 3-4 in UDFA probably.

I'm liking him for another year at least, but I don't think he makes it out of camp next year as a Hawk. I hope he retires or maybe they can bring him on as a DB coach...guy has seen it all for a long time. If he has an ability to coach, I'd love to keep him around. He's always been a total pro, the sort of guy you never want to leave.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:09 pm
  • Trufant is actually old

Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
    95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.
    The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:15 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information