question to our x's and o's guys about keys to the game.

niveky

Reaction score
I really believe that mebane and jones/branch can get good interior pressure this weekend that will allow clemons and irvin to tee off on brady and I expect him to get bumped at least a few times by our dts, even if not for sacks. I read earlier this season that sherman and browner really play press about 37-39% of the time.

If they could successfully do it, how effective do you think it would be to put Browner or Sherman on Welker and the other on Gronk and press them at every opportunity and do everything to disrupt timing with them...I mean I think that would be more of a situational thing to press both of them and they may not always both be on the field at the same time and if say, Hernandez and Gronk are on at the same time to really get after them as well right off the LOS. There is the right kind of speed, athleticism and power at linebacker I think to provide sufficient backup to our big db's if a press goes badly and if its a run the line should swallow things up and either make the stop or slow down the pats run game just enough to let the lb's close distance if they do go with the run.

I think this game is a perfect showcase to show the range of our defense, and to just really show what it can do all across the board in any situation. It also would never hurt for other teams(especially say the 49's for that Thursday night game) to have something else to have to worry about and try to gameplan around. Sure the Patriots are dangerous and high powered on Offense and can put up a lot of yards and points, but the Seahawks defense is no less explosive and dangerous.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I don't know too much for x's and o's, but I like what you're thinking. Considering the sheer size of our secondary (not to mention KJ's a pretty damn big boy in his own right at 6'4"), I've really been looking forward to seeing how we match up against the Pats and the wonder twins Gronk and Hernandez.

I'm sure we'll see some combination of KJ/Kam/Browner on Gronk due to the favorable size match ups and I'm guessing Wagner will likely be left to pick up Hernandez, because Sherman will likely be tasked with handling Welker or Lloyd (cuz you can't just leave those guys all alone). I think this is going to have to be a big game for Tru to step up because I think we actually match up very well everywhere else. It'll likely be Tru vs. Welker in the slot that will be the battle to watch. Thank god the pass rush has really stepped up this year as it will be a huge help in covering all those wepons (can't really throw the ball if you're running for your life or staring up at the lights).

But what I'm really looking forward to is the half time adjustment. Pete & co. have been real masters at making adjustments to counter whats been working for the opposition, but Josh McSweatpants is a pretty crafty OC in his own right (horrible horrible HC, but a damn good OC).

Damn I wish it was Sunday...

OP
OP
niveky

niveky

Reaction score
CANHawk":2gg6aopb said:
I don't know too much for x's and o's, but I like what you're thinking. Considering the sheer size of our secondary (not to mention KJ's a pretty damn big boy in his own right at 6'4"), I've really been looking forward to seeing how we match up against the Pats and the wonder twins Gronk and Hernandez.

I'm sure we'll see some combination of KJ/Kam/Browner on Gronk due to the favorable size match ups and I'm guessing Wagner will likely be left to pick up Hernandez, because Sherman will likely be tasked with handling Welker or Lloyd (cuz you can't just leave those guys all alone). I think this is going to have to be a big game for Tru to step up because I think we actually match up very well everywhere else. It'll likely be Tru vs. Welker in the slot that will be the battle to watch. Thank god the pass rush has really stepped up this year as it will be a huge help in covering all those wepons (can't really throw the ball if you're running for your life or staring up at the lights).

But what I'm really looking forward to is the half time adjustment. Pete & co. have been real masters at making adjustments to counter whats been working for the opposition, but Josh McSweatpants is a pretty crafty OC in his own right (horrible horrible HC, but a damn good OC).

Yeah that is what I'm thinking, in relation to the size of our db's across the board and matchups. For example on the football outsiders breakdown he was also assuming like you stated we'd have tru matched up with Welker. I really feel a sticking point is the disruption of routes and so I would really like to see one of our starting Corners on Welker because of their excellence at press coverage right at the LOS. I mean probably wouldn't be smart the whole game but in the right situations and then Trufant could be utilized in other ways, since press is not a strength of his..at least I don't believe it is. I'm sure that Tru will probably be on Welker a lot, but We need one of those big bodies on him as well to hopefully frustrate him and take him out of the game as well. Offensive personnel on the field will dictate some of these matchups but I think it would be key to key on Welker in the same way Smith was keyed on last week.

CANHawk

Reaction score
niveky":1nxwys8m said:
CANHawk":1nxwys8m said:

Yeah that is what I'm thinking, in relation to the size of our db's across the board and matchups. For example on the football outsiders breakdown he was also assuming like you stated we'd have tru matched up with Welker. I really feel a sticking point is the disruption of routes and so I would really like to see one of our starting Corners on Welker because of their excellence at press coverage right at the LOS. I mean probably wouldn't be smart the whole game but in the right situations and then Trufant could be utilized in other ways, since press is not a strength of his..at least I don't believe it is. I'm sure that Tru will probably be on Welker a lot, but We need one of those big bodies on him as well to hopefully frustrate him and take him out of the game as well. Offensive personnel on the field will dictate some of these matchups but I think it would be key to key on Welker in the same way Smith was keyed on last week.

Well, if it's not Tru on Welker, then it'd have to be Sherman. Guys like Welker make Browner look like shit, but Sherm absolutely OWNED Steve Smith last week so that might be the ideal matchup. Browner can handle Lloyd, but then that makes for a potential problem with Gronk if he proves to be too much for Kam.

That's the trouble with the Pats, it comes down to a numbers game because they have so many weapons. I think it could come down to an X-factor guy coming off our bench and having a good game. Someone you wouldn't automatically think of like Jeremy Lane or Danny Gorrer.

OP
OP
niveky

niveky

Reaction score
Gronk[/i] if he proves to be too much for Kam.

That's the trouble with the Pats, it comes down to a numbers game because they have so many weapons. I think it could come down to an X-factor guy coming off our bench and having a good game. Someone you wouldn't automatically think of like Jeremy Lane or Danny Gorrer.

It is very interesting to see how matchups will go but I do kind of agree with the football outsiders guy that Wagner will be the xfactor/deciding factor on the Hawks D. I think that he will have more favorable matchups against the Pats O than anyone would ever have thought to give him credit for. Hill has been solid this year and Wright is still playing at a High level as well. The lb's as a whole could actually provide a tipping point if the DB's and Dline keep playing at their highest level.

CANHawk

Reaction score
niveky":3jrac4da said:

It is very interesting to see how matchups will go but I do kind of agree with the football outsiders guy that Wagner will be the xfactor/deciding factor on the Hawks D. I think that he will have more favorable matchups against the Pats O than anyone would ever have thought to give him credit for. Hill has been solid this year and Wright is still playing at a High level as well. The lb's as a whole could actually provide a tipping point if the DB's and Dline keep playing at their highest level.

Yeah, Wagner will definately be a factor, but I'm thinking KJ Wright might hold the key to containing Gronk (with some kind of assist from Kam). He has the size and has proven to be pretty good in coverage, whereas Wagner is probably more suited to Hernandez due to his speed. The pass rush is probably what will put us over the top if we do end up containing their offense though. Aside from Mankins, the Pats O-line is a little pedestrian is it not?

This is such an awesome chess match game. We both match up so well.

OP
OP
niveky

niveky

Reaction score
CANHawk":33whzvlo said:
niveky":33whzvlo said:

Yeah, Wagner will definately be a factor, but I'm thinking KJ Wright might hold the key to containing Gronk (with some kind of assist from Kam). He has the size and has proven to be pretty good in coverage, whereas Wagner is probably more suited to Hernandez due to his speed. The pass rush is probably what will put us over the top if we do end up containing their offense though. Aside from Mankins, the Pats O-line is a little pedestrian is it not?

This is such an awesome chess match game. We both match up so well.

Yeah, it will be awesome. Another valuable part of Wright's contributions on defense are that he is not only still playing very well, but he is helping Wagner with the defensive calls and adjustments when they are out on the field.

Tical21

Reaction score
Our defense plays less matchup football than most of the other teams out there. Our guys play positions, they don't cover certain guys. If Welker lines up in the slot, Trufant is going to cover him. If Gronkowski lines up on the strong side, the player that covers him will be determined by the defense called that play. You can call certain coverages to get Earl more involved, but you're not going to see Sherman lining up in the nickel corner position.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The keys to the game are;

1. Can Trufant and our LB's cover Welker, Gronk and Hernandez long enough for our D-Line to get to Brady. Arizona did it, I don't see why we wouldn't be able to, especially at home.
2. Can Wilson move the ball enough to score at least 21 points, and use up enough clock to keep Brady on the sidelines.
3. Can we get a special teams play or defensive score to take the pressure off Wilson, cause Belichick is going to take away Lynch and force Wilson to win the game.....which makes me nervous.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
The DANGER of playing press coverage is that if you miss (which does happen) the guy is by you and with a QB like Brady you WILL be burnt before you recover.. Also I seen guys try press Gronk, NONE yet have had any real success with it (Lol saw one Bills defender hit him and litterally got run over by Gronk.) Could it work? Possibly

I wonder if you dial up any blitzes at all or just rely on your front 4.. hmm

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
You cant compare what we can do vs what ARIZONA did . because Hernandez got hurt in the 1st qtr and really altered the Pats offense and gameplanning . Not taking anything away from the Cards but that did alter the game.

I hope on 3rd downs we tell Trufant to roam around the back end and have Earl Thomas play man on Welker.. atleast thats what i would do in Madden

CANHawk

Reaction score
Tical21":3iyn3qc1 said:
Our defense plays less matchup football than most of the other teams out there. Our guys play positions, they don't cover certain guys. If Welker lines up in the slot, Trufant is going to cover him. If Gronkowski lines up on the strong side, the player that covers him will be determined by the defense called that play. You can call certain coverages to get Earl more involved, but you're not going to see Sherman lining up in the nickel corner position.

You do have a very good point there. I can't recall seeing our corners flip flopping sides depending on who lines up where and I can't ever recall seeing Sherman playing in the slot. But, Pete and Gus are proving to be master strategists, and if Welker is running wild I can see them thinking of an outside the box adjustment like that to try and take care of him.

But hopefully Tru can step up and take care of Welker making all this hand wringing for naught.

SteveF

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":1kcgr81m said:
You cant compare what we can do vs what ARIZONA did . because Hernandez got hurt in the 1st qtr and really altered the Pats offense and gameplanning . Not taking anything away from the Cards but that did alter the game.

Arizona plays defense much differently from Seattle. Arizona used lots of split safeties. They played 2-man, quarters (and various catch man coverages out of quarters), quarter-quarter-half with some cover 3 and more rarely cover 1.

Seattle is mostly cover-1/cover 3. They use less disguise primarily because they don't need to. They know their guys on defense are bigger, stronger, and faster than your guys on offense. That's been mostly true.

pehawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm with SteveF and Tical on this.

Elite defenses make the opposition gameplan for them, period. Any given season there's 2 or 3 defenses, MAYBE, good enough to roll like that. I think the Seahawks are in that rarified realm defensively. I'm beyond pumped to see it again.

Happy

Reaction score
pehawk":14rquaal said:
Yeah, I'm with SteveF and Tical on this.

Elite defenses make the opposition gameplan for them, period. Any give season there's 2 or 3 defenses, MAYBE, good enough to roll like that. I think the Seahawks are in that rarified realm, defensively. I'm beyond pumped to see it again.

*sadhappy likes this