TNF just called the #1 defense a bunch of pretenders

volsunghawk

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":1cu8cclw said:
volsunghawk":1cu8cclw said:
PatsFanNH":1cu8cclw said:
WHAT!?!?! Are you comparing your D to probably the GREATEST D in the last 30 years!?!?! really?? I mean your D is good but lets not get cocky about it, because the day someone drops 40 on you (and it will happen) I dont want people having to talk you off the ledge!

Ahem. In Week 2 of that season, the Jaguars dropped 36 on that "GREATEST D in the last 30 years!?!?!" in Baltimore's own house.

I'm not saying that we have a defense on that same exact level, but we're constructed much like that Ravens team was. Outstanding D, strong run game, huge questions in the passing game. And that team still found a way to win it all. Who's to say it can't happen again?

Why can't it happen again? have you seen theRULE CHANGES since then? They are pretty much making CB curtsey before they hit the WR anand hitting the passer is from the waiste to the shoulders ANYWHERE else is a 15 yrd penalty. My friend this is an O driven league now, you have to have a good (Not great) O see NY, Giants. a sub par like the Ravens had that year will not work in this league.

Dude, this has been an offense-driven league since 1984 at the VERY least. Let's not pretend that all of the offensive changes have happened in the last couple of seasons.

You need an offense that is capable and efficient. It doesn't have to be explosive or dominant. What's more important than the ranking of your offense or defense is how they play at the end of the season. If you can come into the last 6 or so games of the season with a record around .500 and then get hot, that's a blueprint for a deep playoff run, dominant offense or no.

Think about the '06 Colts. Indy was long known for high-powered offense, but their only SB run came when they managed to turn on the D and let Rhodes and Addai carry most of the load.

A

Anonymous

well its true. they are pretenders. the D is pretty good but not #1 caliber

Modest

Reaction score
5280Hawk":2y0vc917 said:
What was Marshall faulk's deal? He was like, "hello? Seattle?......Seattle".

He's like an out of the closet hater damn!

Marshall Faulk is the biggest blowhard hater of them all. He loathes the Patriots as he still hasn't gotten over having his ass handed to him in the Rams SB. The sports media isn't about valid view points, they're about saying dumbshit to stir up controversy and page views. Win or lose, I hope the Seahawks channel the disrespect into a weapon.

mistaowen

Reaction score
WhatsYourDeal":3sqw9x2m said:

solid analysis that backs up your point, especially since all league stats are made up. i'm interested to see your opinion on stadium parking.

A

Anonymous

mistaowen":yaixwv1f said:
WhatsYourDeal":yaixwv1f said:

solid analysis that backs up your point, especially since all league stats are made up. i'm interested to see your opinion on stadium parking.

Jets were #1 offense a few weeks ago.
hows that for backing up my point?

kidhawk

Reaction score
WhatsYourDeal":2pyc5yj1 said:
mistaowen":2pyc5yj1 said:
WhatsYourDeal":2pyc5yj1 said:

Jets were #1 offense a few weeks ago.
hows that for backing up my point?

you're point? you have no "point". There can always be an argument between stats to say which team is number one, but anyone who says our defense isn't a top defense for real is either extremely football stupid or extremely bias or in the case of this forum just a....

Troll

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Were they saying that the defense is a pretender, or that the team as a whole is a pretender? There is no reasonable argument that this is not a legit defense, but the team as a whole I can see. Right now the hawks are last in the division and not even in the playoffs and the offense stinks. Until the offense steps up, I don't think you can expect wild playoff success out of this team.

But Faulk really does seem to have it out for Seattle. Kinda weird

A

Anonymous

i said the Defense is pretty good.
WILL NOT finish #1 thats for sure. the team will be lucky to finish above .500
They wouldnt be above .500 now if the refs knew how to ref.

A

Anonymous

you're point? you have no "point". There can always be an argument between stats to say which team is number one, but anyone who says our defense isn't a top defense for real is either extremely football stupid or extremely bias or in the case of this forum just a....

Thats your opinion.
My point is anyone can have the #1 offense or defense early in the season.

Come talk to me week 12 if the Hawks might have a top 10 D come that time but top 3 Dont see it.
Hag fans are really excited to be ranked high in a category before the trade deadline lol.
Be realistic even the bills were 5-0 was it last year or the year before.

Things happen early. Lets see how they finish. im guessing mediocre as always 7-9 maybe 8-8

kidhawk

Reaction score
WhatsYourDeal":3ki8ovlj said:
i said the Defense is pretty good.
WILL NOT finish #1 thats for sure. the team will be lucky to finish above .500
They wouldnt be above .500 now if the refs knew how to ref.

Troll

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1sn6oj4k said:
Bulletin board materiaaaaal...

"31st overall Passing" should be more offensive to the team.

The defense can carry us against teams like Carolina.. NOT against the likes of New England, San Francisco, etc.

We need better play from the offense. Period. Or this team will hover around .500 all year.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Aros":gvmdrp6w said:
How on earth could they say that with a straight face? What possibly was their ignorant angle of attack? (plane reference for my fellow aviation lovers)
These guys were no joy with bingo ammo and the Seahawks D is about to bounce their 6.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
rpmischris":102ee2u8 said:
LOL what a freaking joke. In their contender or pretender segment, they unanimously listed us as pretenders. UHH If the 49ers had the number 1 def it would be an absolute love fest for them :49ersmall: . Why do I bother watching ESPN or NFL network?

Your thread title is misleading.

They called the Hawks pretenders, not the defense.............as in until our offense can score more than 17 points a game, we will be pretenders. This isn't 1962, we can't be considered a contender until our offense steps it up.

Largent80

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":xftz0myz said:
rpmischris":xftz0myz said:
LOL what a freaking joke. In their contender or pretender segment, they unanimously listed us as pretenders. UHH If the 49ers had the number 1 def it would be an absolute love fest for them :49ersmall: . Why do I bother watching ESPN or NFL network?

They called the Hawks pretenders, not the defense.............as in until our offense can score more than 17 points a game, we will be pretenders. This isn't 1962, we can't be considered a contender until our offense steps it up.

You are out of your gourd. Year 3 of a complete rebuild is certainly not pretending. Offenses take longer to get good as opposed to defenses, unless you have a 13 year veteran future hall of fame QB in place.

Our offense is definitely getting better by the week. Pretty easy to see it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":11f6sggs said:
Sgt. Largent":11f6sggs said:
rpmischris":11f6sggs said:

You are out of your gourd. Year 3 of a complete rebuild is certainly not pretending. Offenses take longer to get good as opposed to defenses, unless you have a 13 year veteran future hall of fame QB in place.

We're talking about two different things.

You're talking about where we are as a team, and I agree in year #3 of a total rebuild we're in good shape. But this thread is in regards to the NFL network calling the Hawks a pretender for making a playoff run. In this regard you're out of your gourd if you think the way our offense is playing is good enough to make a playoff run........thus "pretender."

Largent80

Reaction score
Weekly progress is quite evident offensively. How would that make me out of my gourd to think that by the end of the season it will not be highly efficient?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Largent80":3uahak3n said:

Greatly disagree. Maybe in the past, not anymore. The rules are so catered to the offense now that it's typically easier to improve on that side than the defensive side.

I'm not as optimistic as you are about the offense. They haven't shown any improvement in the red zone, and they just faced one of the worst defenses in football. We're still 31st passing the ball (abysmal) and still way way too reliant on the defense.

I know we as fans hate to see the team written off with the 2nd overall defense in football right now.. but the offense is a real concern going forward. If they keep up this pace, the defense is inevitably going to break down and the season will be a waste.

We need better play from the O. Period. Whether or not the problem is Bevell, Wilson, the OL, the WR's.. it needs to improve ASAP.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":203v7emp said:
Weekly progress is quite evident offensively. How would that make me out of my gourd to think that by the end of the season it will not be highly efficient?

Again, the thread is about the NFL network calling us a pretender NOW, not what our offense will do at the end of the year. That's total speculation.

I'm glad you're optimistic, but the fact is right now the offense is not very good.......and developing a rookie QB can take years. So even if Wilson improves, it's more likely to be baby steps, not the big steps needed to make a playoff run.......if make the playoffs at all.

Latest posts