Rookie QB comparison from O'Neil

edogg23

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":20oqxrs0 said:
Fearless Frog":20oqxrs0 said:
Zebulon Dak":20oqxrs0 said:
Ah, I see. So if we lose it's his fault but if we win it's none of his doing. Got it. Good talk.

Wins are not a QB stat. This is not an opinion. Teams win games. A QB can throw 3 pick-sixes and his team can still win, do you credit that as a "QB win" and "he played well enough for the team to win"?

It depends on what he did with the rest of his snaps. No 1, 2 or even 3 plays win or lose a game on their own.

You're only as strong as your weakest link, right? Right now the Seahwks are 3-2. Russell Wilson is 3-2 as a starting QB. Take your bullshit somewhere else.
Wow, just wow. Do you have some man crush on Wilson? No logic to this argument and you use profanity. Classy!

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
edogg23":1agjhfpr said:
Wow, just wow. Do you have some man crush on Wilson? No logic to this argument and you use profanity. Classy!

GFY.

Well, at least now we know who's alias Fearless Frog is.

edogg23

Reaction score
You are cursing at people who have a valid point and then accusing me of using different usernames. That's my problem. I've been trying to stay out of these arguments lately but this is ridiculous.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
edogg23":3u568k4t said:
You are cursing at people who have a valid point and then accusing me of using different usernames. That's my problem. I've been trying to stay out of these arguments lately but this is ridiculous.

You don't like it? Take it to the Shack then buddy. There's no personal attacks in the main forum.

kearly

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":6bdkwgtg said:

Fearless Frog isn't anybody's alias. He's QUITE notorious over at Fieldgulls, where he's long since been banned. I always liked his contributions though, personally.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
kearly":28kj9a11 said:
Zebulon Dak":28kj9a11 said:

Fearless Frog isn't anybody's alias. He's QUITE notorious over at Fieldgulls, where he's long since been banned. I always liked his contributions though, personally.

Seems like a real class act.

redhawk253

Reaction score
this argument sounds exactly like every argument i ever heard from a senior in highschool who lost his job to some "frosh who didn't deserve to be there" and how the team would be doing so much better if they were in there........

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
LymonHawk":2iv2mvr0 said:
Hmmm....where have I seen this thread before?
Preach it brother.
Here's something else O'Neil said regarding the QB situation. It pretty much sums up these boards the last several weeks:

They signed Flynn in free agency, and could have gone with him, and when Carroll still opted for the rookie it meant that Wilson wasn't going to be measured against other rookies, he was going to be compared to what everyone imagined Flynn might be doing with this same opportunity.

The result is an argument that is endlessly circular and not all that informative about how Wilson is either performing or progressing.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Fearless Frog. Nice to see you make your way over from every opponents board over at SBN to ours. I agree, wins are not a QB stat that can be equally applied.

But what about comeback wins in the 4th quarter? while still a vague way to measure, that is a stat I have always looked at because of it's clutch indicator and it's correlation to a quarterback getting a grasp of the defense he is facing.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
BASF":ecz2kou9 said:
Fearless Frog":ecz2kou9 said:
Sorry but Wilson does not have the luxury of playing like a rookie when there is a perfectly good veteran option on the bench (who I'm betting money on will still be a far better pro than Wilson). And Wilson is in a FAR better situation than the other rookie QBs being compared. Realistically, this may be the best team Wilson will ever be a part of. This is the best defense in franchise history and a rushing game that compares favorably with 2005's.

Less starting experience than Wilson does not make him a veteran. Sitting on the bench for all but one season of your eight year college and professional career does not make you a veteran. Wilson had more starts in college and has more starts in the pro's. Game experience is far more valuable than sitting for years.
Wilson does indeed have more playing experience in the NFL, but Flynn is undoubtedly better at the mechanics of the game, Carroll mentioned as much. Those years in the NFL actually help Flynn in that regard. Wilson is seeing coverages, and certain pressure packages that he has never seen when he played in the NCAA. Flynn has had 4 years to study the pro game, and as I said Carroll eluded to Flynn being more adept at pre-snap reads, and audibles. I have no doubt that Flynn is the better player right now, but there are some reasons why Carroll went with Wilson.

The first of which is potential, and schematic fit. Carroll wants a very specific type of player and Russell Wilson fits his description of what he calls the "point guard" QB, Flynn does not. Secondly Wilson is more athletic and has the bigger arm than Flynn, and he has intangibles off of the chart. Carroll simply decided to go with potential rather than a player that may be better now.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I really hope that Wilson doesn't have more experience because that is what is holding him back and if he has more experience then either we are seeing his ceiling or Flynn's floor is already higher.

Make up your mind. Either Wilson needs to gain experience over Flynn or Flynn has the higher ceiling. It doesn't add up.

Pretty obvious to most, Flynn has improved each year and we should expect the same from Wilson. Trying to compare college starts and 5 rookie games to Flynn's time in the league is ridiculous. If it were not then it would be fair to say Flynn still has better numbers in two games than Wilson has in five. Just not as many picks.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":15sin2hz said:
I really hope that Wilson doesn't have more experience because that is what is holding him back and if he has more experience then either we are seeing his ceiling or Flynn's floor is already higher.

Make up your mind. Either Wilson needs to gain experience over Flynn or Flynn has the higher ceiling. It doesn't add up.

Pretty obvious to most, Flynn has improved each year and we should expect the same from Wilson. Trying to compare college starts and 5 rookie games to Flynn's time in the league is ridiculous. If it were not then it would be fair to say Flynn still has better numbers in two games than Wilson has in five. Just not as many picks.

Look what Flynn had in GB and compare that to what Wilson has in Seattle. The only thing going for Wilson is a great running game. GB is built around a passing attack that passes 60%+ times a game. Seattle under Carroll has been pretty 50/50 in terms of pass/run. I would think it would be much harder to get into a passing rhythm with your receivers when you are dedicated to establishing a run game as well.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
I think a better way to compare Wilson is with his PEERS starting this year in the NFL: 92 yrs or less:

Luck -- Playing very well looks be the SUPERSTAR everyone expected him to be.

Tannahill --- Playing Amazingly well and keeping his team in the game (They are 2 OT away from being 4-1 thats amazing! and he threw for over 400 yards against AZ? I think.)

Wilson -- Smart QB, who reminds me personally a lot of Tom Brady in 2001. He is doing enough to win but not making the big mistake (usually) to cost the team the game.

Cleveland QB (I forgot hi name) -- got feel sorry for him no one to throw to and the line is gawd awful.. I say INC since he has no chance.

Locker -- very slow delivery and can be easily fooled by D right now, has a lot of growing to do still.

RG3 --- Is a good QB, but I see a short life span with his scrambling causing him injuries and can he fall into the NEWTON TRAP?

Cam Newton -- Over rated and pouting big time. He is nothing more than a glorified Young, a below average QB wit running ability

RichNhansom

Reaction score
AF the Pack are 2-3 right now with that vaunted offense and who many believe to be the best QB in football and he has, Jennings and Starks and a much better D then Flynn had so your argument is kind of mute right now

Here he would have an even better D and way better running game to take pressure off. Being able to read defenses, utilize a three step drop and the middle of the field along with throwing receivers open should help instead of hurt his chances.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Wait, so O'Neil's point is that out of all the rookie QB's, Wilson has sucked the least?

This is the NFL, nobody cares if your QB is a rookie, he's held up to EVERY QB in the league, not just the rookies. Fair or not, this is about performing........and so far Wilson's at the bottom of just about every statistical QB category.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2mwwiirw said:
AF the Pack are 2-3 right now with that vaunted offense and who many believe to be the best QB in football and he has, Jennings and Starks and a much better D then Flynn had so your argument is kind of mute right now

Here he would have an even better D and way better running game to take pressure off. Being able to read defenses, utilize a three step drop and the middle of the field along with throwing receivers open should help instead of hurt his chances.

I'm talking about when Flynn played for GB, not the current GB Packers.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Danny O'Neil":27aex58r said:
Of all the rookies who began the season as their team's starting quarterback over the past 20 years, only one attempted fewer passes than Russell Wilson through five games.

But none had more victories.

Few rookies had the talent in place on the roster already that Wilson inherited. I'd say off the top of my head, only maybe Big Ben and Flacco had more on D in recent memory.

The team is winning in SPITE of Wilson, not BECAUSE of Wilson.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Fearless Frog":2z6ep2re said:
Bullshit? Don't get mad at me for pointing out the obvious. Here's a better example: A team wins a game 3-0 on a field goal, or 2-0 from a safety. Is that a QB win? The QB played well enough to win?

I'm sorry, but this is football. It is the ultimate team sport. Saying Russell Wilson deserves to continue to start because the team is 3-2 flies in the face of all long and evidence that we've seen on the field.

Don't bring logic to the table with Wilson backers.

Everything good that happens = Wilson did it.

Everything bad = His OL, Darrell Bevell, the WR's, the temperature of Lake Washington, etc etc etc.

The kid can do no wrong on this message board.. when ANY other QB would have far more backlash.. :lol: