Kurt Warner's grade for Russell Wilson

LengthMustBe

Reaction score
He said something like "he has yet to see big play ability from Wilson" - I assume he's talking about passing.

Not sure what's considered a big play (I assume 20+ yards?), but does anyone know what percentage of Wilson's total throws/runs would be considered "big plays", and where that ranks with other QBs?

The 1st TD in the MNF game was one.

Thanks!

kidhawk

Reaction score
With the reigns pete has on the offense, Wilson has been given few opportunities to attempt the "big play" so saying we haven't seen big play ability from Wilson is like saying Miller isn't being targeted when he's staying in to block. The statement in itself is true, but needs context to be real.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah. What he said. :13:

I'd argue that the pass to Tate that was nullified was pretty much a "big" play. However, another way to look at what a big play is is Red zone TDs, which we haven't produced much of either.

But once again, that is more on play calling than on RW IMHO.

We definitely know Russ has the arm strength, and he appears to have accuracy deep. Warner isn't wrong, but that doesn't mean that RW won't show "big play" ability as he matures.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Wilson has shown the ABILITY to make big plays (accurate deep ball, great mobility, rocket arm), I don't know how anyone can really argue that he hasn't shown that. Someone could argue a LACK of big plays (even though there have been some) compared to other QBs, but to say he has not shown any big play ability only shows that you aren't watching him regularly.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
sutz":e7sr4109 said:
However, another way to look at what a big play is is Red zone TDs, which we haven't produced much of either.

Tate screwed up one of those, after making one and right before making another.

kidhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1maqr7q0 said:
Wilson has shown the ABILITY to make big plays (accurate deep ball, great mobility, rocket arm), I don't know how anyone can really argue that he hasn't shown that. Someone could argue a LACK of big plays (even though there have been some) compared to other QBs, but to say he has not shown any big play ability only shows that you aren't watching him regularly.

I don't think you play QB in the NFL without some big play ability, but how that transfers on game day is what makes or breaks a qb. Wilson has had only a few big play type opportunities given to him, and like sutz said, in the RZ the play calling has been pretty bad, taking away any big play possibilities. We all saw Wilson make big plays in pre season, but it's yet to transfer. That's not all on RW though, since the Coach has reigned him in and kept the playbook simple and left him with better plays for him to execute without the big play/big mistake scenarios involved yet.

I believe we'll start to see more of it come as the season progresses.

Omahawk

Reaction score
Kurt Warner doesn't have a whole of room to talk when it comes to grading young quarterbacks. It took him a heck of a long time to make his way into the league. Wilson is miles ahead of where Warner would have been at this point in his career. Warner was the guy that asks you if you want paper of plastic for your groceries in some podunk town in Iowa. Let's not lose perspective. Warner ended up becoming a great QB and might well become a great NFL analyst but on topics like this, he should bite his tongue. This is why players are advised not to read or listen to the media.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Hes made plenty of big plays. Just last week he threw a critical 3rd and Long TD to Golden Tate late in the game to take the lead that would eventually give us the win.

Russell Wilson isn't asked to win games for us. We know and everybody else knows the formula for this team to win is strong defense and a strong running game.

He's not supposed to be a Drew Brees or Peyton Manning type QB expected to carry the team.

Twisted

Reaction score
LengthMustBe":2ss8iu0n said:
He said something like "he has yet to see big play ability from Wilson" - I assume he's talking about passing.

Not sure what's considered a big play (I assume 20+ yards?), but does anyone know what percentage of Wilson's total throws/runs would be considered "big plays", and where that ranks with other QBs?

The 1st TD in the MNF game was one.

Thanks!

Kurt Warner could stand in for Jerry Lewis, good grief who cares what that guy has to say, "oh if he plays against the Cards, he sucks"

salamander

Reaction score
To me big plays aren't "long" plays, but clutch plays that led to scores. Wilson hasn't had many of those even though there HAVE been opportunities. The GB game I think was more a product of luck than any big plays by Wilson (e.g. overturned int, lucky hail Mary) It would have been interesting to see what he could have done had McCoy not fallen down.

Twisted

Reaction score
salamander":bhcz7grb said:
To me big plays aren't "long" plays, but clutch plays that led to scores. Wilson hasn't had many of those even though there HAVE been opportunities. The GB game I think was more a product of luck than any big plays by Wilson (e.g. overturned int, lucky hail Mary) It would have been interesting to see what he could have done had McCoy not fallen down.

I dunno? I think that hail mary ginst GB tops a lot of clutchers and big plays, but thats just me, I don't fantasize about warshing Mr. Rogers jock in the back of some dark locker room..

not sure Warner is the guy? he had one decent season in his last 5 seasons, 3 decent seasons in his entire 12 year nfl career, why is he all the sudden the go to guy? last I heard he was doing speeches at local 12 squares... :?

VHawk

Reaction score
SeaHawk80":1maisypa said:
So if Kurt's a Jabronee, does that make Marshal Faulk Obi-Wan-Jabronee
Just sayin

Yes it does.Faulk is one of the worst offenders besides Tim Brown of being a Hawk hater.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Big plays generally require others to help make them happen. The offensive line must block. The receiver must get open and then catch the pass. And so on. Oh, and the team cannot commit a stupid penalty that nullifies the play.

It's a team sport, last I knew.

sutz

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":4t0mugtn said:
Waitwaitwaitwaitwait...we're giving grades after five games?
This. We're working on it.

:)

ensett

Reaction score
Twisted":3szpuwls said:
salamander":3szpuwls said:

not sure Warner is the guy? he had one decent season in his last 5 seasons, 3 decent seasons in his entire 12 year nfl career, why is he all the sudden the go to guy? last I heard he was doing speeches at local 12 squares... :?

hes had a lot more good seasons than that

morgulon1

Reaction score
Warner was a damned good qb who went through hell to get a chance in the NFL. He's kind of a whack job IMHO but he carved us up like a stinky little step pig many times. RW isnt a guy who is going to get fantasy style numbers for sportcenter by definition and design.
That was Carroll's whole idea, right?

Latest posts