All 22 Breakdown of Pats/Broncs

pcbball12

Reaction score
I just purchased all 22 film and it is amazing. The first thing I wanted to do was breakdown the Pats last week game against Denver just to get a closer look at what we are going up against and I came away with some of their tendencies ( I know they may switch them up due to gameplan ) aas well as some keys to the game and things we may see the Hawks do to exploit weaknesses.

Pats Offense

-All we have been hearing about this last week is the Pats tempo on offense. Well, their tempo is no joke. They use a ton of quick counts and like to get the ball off before the defense is fully set. However, it seemed when they did this it was a quick hitting run. Brady took his time at the line when they threw the ball.

- Brady makes a lot of checks at the line of scrimmage which comes as no surprise. I saw a number of times him checking into a run or a different run and from the looks of it he was doing so based on the DL splits. Denver's splits were way too far apart and they paid for it many times by getting gashed up the middle. I don't worry much about our middle upfront, but they must force them to bounce their runs outside. Even Woodhead who is not a power back by any means, makes his living up the middle on quick hitting runs or draws.

- A play they ran numerous times was a simple run play to the left with a pulling right guard and the RB doing a quick counter step to the right. They then give him the option to stretch it out but there looks to be a designed cutback lane as well. Their line is very good upfront, but what I think they are looking to do with this play is catch the MLB off guard. He is the key to the whole play. When the MLB over pursued this play would pick up 8-10. Wagner needs to be disciplined and stay in his gap. Run D is all about discipline.

- They like to run a lot of motion to get guys going and try and open the field. Welker is in motion a lot and is just so good against zone coverage. He always seems to find the soft spot and it will be very frustrating if we sit back in zone and let Brady dink and dunk because him and Welker always seem to be on the same page. I think he NEEDS to be manned up this game. If there was a certain way to try and slow him down it would have been done by now, but I personally think he needs to be jammed at the line and never left without someone on his jock because he is Brady's first read more times than not.

-Gronk is a monster blocking in the run game. Because of this it makes him dangerous in the flats as they like to use him chip blocking with late releases. I saw numerous times where they would motion Welker on the same side Gronk is lined up, have him cross middle and that was read 1 almost every time. If that was taken away they looked to Gronk quite a bit in the flat. Basically they like to run combo routes which is no secret. But Brady seems to start inside out in his reads, instead of outside in. They run quick crossing inside routes, with long developing otside routes ( lots of times its a 15 yard in route ). Taking aways his first inside reads and getting enough pressure to where he can't get to his outside reads in time is going to be key.

- I feel Earl is going to need to play closer to the line of scrimmage this game (10-12 yards deep instead of his usual 15-20). They are going to need his speed and range for the different underneath combination routes the Pats like to run. There is a reason the Hawks haven't given up many explosive plays and that is because they have Earl so deep that teams can't take their shots. NE will be playing very close attention to how deep Earl is playing. Another option would be to put Kam in the box to cover Gronk.

Pats Defense

-Their front 7 is not a lot different than ours really. Wilfork is a monster, Chandler Jones is very good on the outside, and Brandon Spikes and Jerod Mayo are very good downhill linebackers. With that said, the main difference between our front 7 and ours is the ability for our linebackers to cover. I almost guarantee that the Hawks will be doing anything they can to get a TE or slot receiver on Brandon Spikes. He is a monster in the run game, but is stiff and slow dropping back into coverage. He will try and pop the receiver off the line but if the receiver can get off the bump he is in trouble. If we can get the running game going, the play action seam route is going to be there. Look for that to be a money play this week. Wouldn't be a bad idea to run levels routes or floods to his side either to force him to try and cover. They need to exploit his weakness in coverage.

- Denver ran a lot of trips right or left with a single receiver on an island opposite. The hawks need to get Sidney in these situations because their DB's are not very good. The field opposite trips was wide open that whole game for Denver and they ALWAYS left the singe receiver one on one with the corner. I would look to get Sidney in those situations and have either a rb or te breaking to the flats opposite the trips formation. Obviously a lot of the time the game dictates the play calling, but it is the offensive coordinators job to put his team in the right positions and try and get the matchups they want. This game is going to be like a good chess match.

- Their DL almost always stacks the strong side. The DT will be outside of the guard, with the other tackle inside the other guard almost over the center. Unless this changes, the hawks need to run weakside and weakside often. The cutback lane should be there as well. It is not easy because Wilfork is a mammoth of a man to move, but this is common sense and something I think Russell needs to be paying attention to when he heads up to the line.

- Last but not least, Seattle needs to take their shots downfield when NE tries to bring pressure. When they send guys that means we will have one on one matchups all over the field. This is their weakness on defense and Russell needs to know that when he senses a blitz coming that he will have a huge advantage with his receivers being in one on one situations with NE's mediocre secondary.

New England is playing great football on both sides of the ball. Their offense is ridiculous and is going to be a tough task, even for this defense. The difference between Brady and Rodgers is that Brady will not hold on to the ball too long. He will take the underneath stuff and will dink and dunk you to death if he has to. Seattle just needs to make sure they can take away his first few reads right away and force him to wait for his other routes to develop.There are weaknesses to this team, just like any team. Going to be a great game can't wait.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
It makes me want to weep that a post like this has no comments. A true football post, beautiful. I think I'll definitely purchase the All 22 film for next season.

I worry about Unger against Wilfork because Wilfork is the exact type of player that gets leverage against Unger and blows him backwards.

It seems to me that they use Gronk a bit differently this year than last year. I don't know if defenses have adjusted, but it seems they don't go to him in the red zone as much as last year. I haven't watched the Patriots a whole lot this year, but it didn't appear that they had him attacking the seam a lot like he did last year. They look like they work the outsides a lot more this year.

Belichick is well known for finding out how an offense ticks and taking that away. Naturally its no mystery that he is going to stack the box and make RW beat them. Totally agree with your assessment that this team can be had with the play action pass. I am hoping the Seahawks take some shots downfield to the tight ends early and loosen up the defense.

Great post, thoroughly enjoyed reading.

OP
OP
P

pcbball12

Reaction score
seahawk2k":3pqpkmgp said:
It makes me want to weep that a post like this has no comments. A true football post, beautiful. I think I'll definitely purchase the All 22 film for next season.

I worry about Unger against Wilfork because Wilfork is the exact type of player that gets leverage against Unger and blows him backwards.

It seems to me that they use Gronk a bit differently this year than last year. I don't know if defenses have adjusted, but it seems they don't go to him in the red zone as much as last year. I haven't watched the Patriots a whole lot this year, but it didn't appear that they had him attacking the seam a lot like he did last year. They look like they work the outsides a lot more this year.

Belichick is well known for finding out how an offense ticks and taking that away. Naturally its no mystery that he is going to stack the box and make RW beat them. Totally agree with your assessment that this team can be had with the play action pass. I am hoping the Seahawks take some shots downfield to the tight ends early and loosen up the defense.

Great post, thoroughly enjoyed reading.
Appreciate it man. I don't worry about the comments. I thoroughly enjoy breaking down film and just wanted to give everyone a little bit of a closer in depth look of the pats. And some things to look for on Sunday. I agree with you about Gronk. I really expected him to be used differently, but I think they are really taking advantage of their running game right now and using him off of it. He is such a great blocker that teams can't play him for the pass or else he will blow you up in the run game.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Thanks for the breakdown! Stuff like this is always appreciated from me. Great to see the key matchups to the game filtered out from the noise.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Hey in my own defense, i just read it now. And yes i agree it's a great post! Very detailed breakdown. It sounds like we'll have some good opportunities to run some play action against them if they get too preoccupied with beast mode.

OP
OP
P

pcbball12

Reaction score
CANHawk":eqnr8z6n said:
Hey in my own defense, i just read it now. And yes i agree it's a great post! Very detailed breakdown. It sounds like we'll have some good opportunities to run some play action against them if they get too preoccupied with beast mode.
In theory that should happen every game lol. But, particularly against their LB's I think it is a huge opportunity.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Just getting to this after being out most of the evening. Great write up and observations.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
I seemed to recall hearing early on in the preseason that the Pats looked like they planned to feature Hernandez more this season as teams tried to key on Gronk, and use Gronk's blocking skill to get the run game more involved.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see what sort of stuff they have dialed up for Hernandez this week since he'll be back in action. At least he won't be a mismatch for our CB's who are just as big as he is.

grizbob

Reaction score
and yet another .net asset, tanks man :thirishdrinkers: :th2thumbs:

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
Great read just a few side notes:

Hightower did not play against Denver (our other 1st round pick) and he and Mayo are "decent against the pass but you are right Spikes is not as goo, but he hits hard and causes more than one dislodged ball already this year.

Also On O it will change this week, Hernandez is back as is Elderman both will be used with Gronk Welker and lloyd so more options for Brady in the pass game and more people for your LB and CB to try and cover.

Should be a fun game sunday, here is to no major injuries on either side.

OP
OP
P

pcbball12

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":2f2o7ltj said:
Great read just a few side notes:

Hightower did not play against Denver (our other 1st round pick) and he and Mayo are "decent against the pass but you are right Spikes is not as goo, but he hits hard and causes more than one dislodged ball already this year.

Also On O it will change this week, Hernandez is back as is Elderman both will be used with Gronk Welker and lloyd so more options for Brady in the pass game and more people for your LB and CB to try and cover.

Should be a fun game sunday, here is to no major injuries on either side.
I thought about those two as we'll. Hightower is not much different from Spikes in my opinion. At least from tape I watched of him in college. Hernandez is going to add another wrinkle for sure.

Appreciate the feedback fellas I'll try and do a breakdown for our opponent each week from here on out.

edogg23

Reaction score
Thank you for the excellent break down! I was flipping to this game during Hawks game commercials and I was pretty shocked to see the Patriots quick snapping serveral runs in a row and seeing be successful. Not what I normally think of when I think of the Patriots offense.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":19ewhxg3 said:
On O it will change this week, Hernandez is back

I'm not expecting Hernandez to be at 100% his first game back, but it's not like the Pats don't have enough offensive weapons as it is. I see him as more of a diversion if anything else.

Anyhow, to the reason i logged in.

Excellent analysis PCB. Very well written. You know it's an excellent write up when the author's discriptions allows the minds eye to flow along with the plays being laid out.