This week is Wilson's week to step up.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I thought his receivers weren't getting separation?? Where did that great observation go?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
bestfightstory":36u8kau2 said:
I thought his receivers weren't getting separation?? Where did that great observation go?
Can't speak for anyone else, but I said it. I was at the Cardinals game, it was definitely true there.

Bipolar

Reaction score
Wilson did throw a lot vs the POS Panthers defense and he looked fine doing that. not sure that he can light up the Patriots secondary though - they are much toughter nut to crack.

I appreciate his scrambling abilities, but if anything, he needs to learn how to remain in the pocket and dump it off to open RB/FB/other recievers for a minor gain instead of running all over the field seeking downfield opportunities. I watched the game last night on shortcuts and saw plenty of obvious opportunities for a quick dump off that he missed.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Something I could see happening this week is Wilson putting up good numbers in a loss. I know we all love our D, but there are valid reasons to fear New England's offense. And if New England manages to get up a couple of TDs early, that will likely force the Seahawks into abandoning the run-heavy offense we've seen thus far this year and embrace the passing game more.

I can see an increased number of attempts leading to big yardage from Wilson, and even multiple TDs as the Seahawks try to keep pace with the league's #1 offense. It would not at all surprise me to see Wilson put up 300 passing yards on 40+ attempts, with 2+ TDs, and maybe a pick or two... and STILL see people bashing him because we didn't get the win.

Of course, that kind of game would likely send Carroll into a crippling depression. :mrgreen:

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Our defense will get the job done with #12 as a huge factor. Russell will likely step up but this may be the breakout game for our wideouts. The Pats secondary is a shorter ball-hawking group (Devan McCourtney and T Wilson both have 2 INTs) that can be beat with our receivers. I see a big game for Rice given the progress he's made with Russell. Pat's have a trivial 9 sacks total after 5 games but Russell has to have pocket presence and also trust his line. Hopefully he picks up on Moon's remarks about stepping up into the pocket for both passing angles as well as the occasional QB scramble. It's unlikely the Pats will blitz as much as the Cards did on us given their secondary. The patriot's ground game has been very good but it plays off the threat to pass.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
To the statement that some of the WRs might not be getting separation, I say whatever, very possible. The troubling part to me is it appears RW is having to will this group into being successful. Doesn't it trouble anyone else to hear that he's doing the film study for his WRs and passing out notes to them on tendencies he's observed...like 'hint, hint it might be better if y'all were studying this stuff as well?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1adecm0d said:
Doesn't it trouble anyone else to hear that he's doing the film study for his WRs and passing out notes to them on tendencies he's observed...like 'hint, hint it might be better if y'all were studying this stuff as well?

I didn't read that story like that at all. I read it more like Wilson seeing something and wanting to point it out so he and the WRs would be on the same page when it came to that situation. Not like he's downing their preparation or work ethic, but more like he wants to make sure they're seeing the same things.

It echoes something I read that Peyton Manning said after the Broncos lost to the Pats last week:

"I think we're building something here, and it doesn't happen right away. There are things and goals we're trying to get to, and the only way to get to them is to play games, to see together the different situations and scenarios that occur during games, and to see them together."

This is another reason I think Wilson will improve with each game. He and his receivers are developing chemistry and continuing to learn to work together. That takes time and repetition, and sometimes it takes communication like what Wilson did with the notes.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3mqaj173 said:
HawKnPeppa":3mqaj173 said:
Doesn't it trouble anyone else to hear that he's doing the film study for his WRs and passing out notes to them on tendencies he's observed...like 'hint, hint it might be better if y'all were studying this stuff as well?

I didn't read that story like that at all. I read it more like Wilson seeing something and wanting to point it out so he and the WRs would be on the same page when it came to that situation. Not like he's downing their preparation or work ethic, but more like he wants to make sure they're seeing the same things.

It echoes something I read that Peyton Manning said after the Broncos lost to the Pats last week:

"I think we're building something here, and it doesn't happen right away. There are things and goals we're trying to get to, and the only way to get to them is to play games, to see together the different situations and scenarios that occur during games, and to see them together."

This is another reason I think Wilson will improve with each game. He and his receivers are developing chemistry and continuing to learn to work together. That takes time and repetition, and sometimes it takes communication like what Wilson did with the notes.

To piggyback on this, you want your QB to notice WR tendencies, because sure as hell the other team coaches are looking for the same, but obviously, they want to exploit those weaknesses. Being able to sell what's seen on tape and then subvert it is a great way to run an offense, no?

Also, seeing such tendencies points to how well Wilson is learning the game because he's noticing these kind of fine details. That's a rather huge plus, isn't it?

sam1313

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":117b6b61 said:
volsunghawk":117b6b61 said:
HawKnPeppa":117b6b61 said:

To piggyback on this, you want your QB to notice WR tendencies, because sure as hell the other team coaches are looking for the same, but obviously, they want to exploit those weaknesses. Being able to sell what's seen on tape and then subvert it is a great way to run an offense, no?

Also, seeing such tendencies points to how well Wilson is learning the game because he's noticing these kind of fine details. That's a rather huge plus, isn't it?

Yes, yes and yes. I really can't imagine anyone doubting Russel's work ethic. For that matter, it really surprises me that people are questioning the judgment of PC/JS with regard to keeping Wilson our starter. Although I was on the start Flynn bandwagon during preseason, RW has done more than enough to impress me as he keeps getting better every week. If he keeps up this rate of progress, he should be all world by the time we get to the superbowl this year! :)

And, alhtough the Pats scare me some, they really don't scare me more than any other team we have played. I will take the Pats at home over most other teams on the road. MAKE IT LOUD 12, MAKE IT LOUD!

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Okay, the title of this post just DARES me to make a Wilson joke and try as I might I just can't resist:

Obviously, Hawks fans have subconcious inadequacy issues with Wilsons height. Note the title of the post:

Wilson's week to step up

or these quotes:

If we get behind him and just give him a little lift it will help him to step up

To quell their subconcious feelings of inadequacy, these fans try to point out the opponents own inadequacies:

The Pats secondary is a shorter ball-hawking group

or they try to find ways to give themselves hope:

Hopefully he picks up on Moon's remarks about stepping up

And some even have suggestions on how to overcome Wilson's perceived inadequate height issue:

piggyback on this

Personally, I think if he needs to step up, then give him a stool 8) /snark

grizbob

Reaction score
He's been stepping up since the draft, and the stairway goes to Heaven :179417:

MrCarey

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":rq323bcz said:
MrCarey":rq323bcz said:
Every week is the week Wilson has to step up, until he actually steps up...

I believe that he has taken a step up and forward in each of the last three games. Does he really have to throw for 300 yards to be a "real" NFL quarterback?

Yes, yes he does. Especially when so many others in the league are doing it, including Alex Smith.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I think Pete will open the playbook and finally unleash the madness; Pass, run, run.

^reads sarcastic but I'm actually serious. I think to have success in this match-up, we need to be in a lot of 2nd and 4s, 3rd and 1s. And if we are on NE's side of the field, but out of field goal range...that's 4 down territory to me. Yes, I understand giving NE a short field is problematic but NE is a problem regardless of distance to goal. I'm not suggesting any 4th and longs...but if it's 4th and less than 5, between the 50 and 40, I say we go for it.

IMO, we have everything to win, nothing to lose this Sunday and the pressure is on NE, not Seattle.

Fearless Frog

Reaction score
Wilson did a great job of managing the game last week, however this week he will need to do more than simply manage.

No he did not. In a game where our defense was dominating beyond any reasonable expecation, Wilson still managed to give the Panthers the lead.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Fearless Frog":1l9n10x5 said:
Wilson did a great job of managing the game last week, however this week he will need to do more than simply manage.

No he did not. In a game where our defense was dominating beyond any reasonable expecation, Wilson still managed to give the Panthers the lead.

Yes, in his fifth game, Wilson finally threw a pick that was entirely on him.

Your positivity is a breath of fresh air on this forum. Thank you for that. Thank you so much.

Fearless Frog

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":nktw370s said:
Fearless Frog":nktw370s said:

Your positivity is a breath of fresh air on this forum. Thank you for that. Thank you so much.

I'm sorry if I'm not living up to your standards of being a blind optimist. He threw a crippling pick-6 in a tight defensive game. He did not lead a single touchdown drive that wasn't a result of a defensive turnover. If Brandon Browner doesn't force that fumble or make that tackle at the 1 yard line, we almost certainly lose this game and the furor over Wilson's incompetence would remain loud and clear.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Fearless Frog":32betkih said:
Seahawk Sailor":32betkih said:
Fearless Frog":32betkih said:

I'm sorry if I'm not living up to your standards of being a blind optimist. He threw a crippling pick-6 in a tight defensive game. He did not lead a single touchdown drive that wasn't a result of a defensive turnover. If Brandon Browner doesn't force that fumble or make that tackle at the 1 yard line, we almost certainly lose this game and the furor over Wilson's incompetence would remain loud and clear.

The real question is: Which booted poster are you? VernDog? For some reason, I doubt you're as fearless as your namesake might suggest.

Fearless Frog

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":w7gb8l2n said:

The real question is: Which booted poster are you? VernDog? For some reason, I doubt you're as fearless as your namesake might suggest.[/quote]

I have no idea what you are talking about. Is this personal attack in absence of a valid response?